Bilateral THR Zumbamama is getting ready to shake it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excited to say, I'm off the cane! I'm starting to actually believe I will be back to normal.... Everyday i see an improvement! I (hopefully) took my last oxy last night and am feeling fine today. I'm more aware of little niggling pains but nothing too bad. I still have a lot of numbness around the incisions and my quads and hip flexors are so tight. I'm working gently and consistently to change that. My PT has been great and it feels so good to do the exercises and stretches! I can't wait to dance again!!
 
@Zumbamama yay!!!!! I'm getting there too! I take the cane with me outside just for insurance. I'm down to 2 tramadol daily 3 max. I think I see some light too. My pt has been pretty conservative so I keep walking. Been using my fitness ap and making sure I increase steps every day. Congratulations!
 
Great update @Zumbamama -- it is a wonderful feeling when we feel and see these recovery increments - well done you :)
 
Wow! @Zumbamama , such awesome news! It sounds like all the hard work is paying off! How long did the OS say it would be before you could return to dance/teaching? Have a great day!
Michele
 
@Cisne thanks!! I'm excited to have my first check up with my surgeon on Tuesday! We will see what he says.... I hope he is pleased with my progress, I am! I'm scheduled to go back to work at the end of July ... 4 classes the first week, 7 the second week, 12 the third week then back to 15 in September. If it seems too much, my subs will help me make the start back a little more spread out. Its still a ways a way, but I'm a little nervous about it!
 
@catdemar @Michegon @drgnfly
Do any of you have any sleeping advice? I had anterior bilateral 2 weeks ago and I have been sleeping in the recliner but this is just tightening my hip flexors like crazy! Sleeping on my back in bed kills my back, and I just can't roll myself onto my side! Any suggestions? I'm SO Tired!

I'm so sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I didn't receive a notification of the post, and I'm just finding it now. I'll reply in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation. I was hospitalized for 7 days (I had a dislocation/revision four days in), so my experience may be a little different than the average experience. I also spent 11 days in an acute rehab facility after my week in the hospital.

If you have access to a hospital bed, I found it most comfortable to raise the head just a bit. I would then make a nest of pillows on either side of me, and smoosh them under my back to prop me up off my back just a bit and roll me onto one side. If I needed to switch sides, I would slide the pillows from one side out, and the pillows from the other side underneath. I also made good use of my prescribed Ambien and lorazepam in the beginning. I found that the combination of sleeping pill, benzo, and exhaustion from healing was enough to get me to sleep.

Please let me know if anyone has any other questions. We Bilateral folks seem to be quite the oddity. The nurses on the ortho floor and in the rehab facility all said that they had never seen bilateral THR's before. Plenty of Bilateral TKA's, but no hips.

I hope that you're feeling better!
 
@drgnfly thanks for getting back to me! Today is 4 weeks for me and I'm still in the recliner. I have it down to a science now, though! I tried to sleep in bed last night and although it was better than before, the recliner still wins. I'll try again in A few days.

Everything else is going very well, I think! I'm walking about a mile without the cane, doing what needs to be done around the house, etc. (Except the cat litter.... Can't do that with my grabber, lol!) I really could probably lean down to do that too if I had a chair or something to lean on, but don't tell anyone! I'll take a break from that as long as I can get it!
 
@Zumbamama
Hi Mary, 2 weeks out for me today! I have been sleeping in my bed since 6 days post surgery. Recliner worked ok for me for 3 nights after 3 nights in the hospital. After that, it just didn't feel the same as getting on my bed. I just was so sick of that recliner all day and all night!

In bed, I have a really big pillow that I put under my knees when I am on my back. Then I put between my legs when on my side. I don't stay on my side long, but it helps! I can last a lot longer on my right side than my left. Seeing surgeon tomorrow and can't wait to ask about sleeping on my belly!
 
@Lauren Spin Trainer 2 weeks for you! Wow, it went by fast, didn't it! I may be sleeping in the recliner for the rest of my life! Haha! How are you feeling now? I had my first check up today and all is well... I'm just feeling really tight in my quads and hip flexors but I will just keep stretching them till they are back! Gently, of course, for now! I was told that going back to teaching at the end of July should be fine, and I really think it will be if I keep progressing forward like I have been. I can't wait but I am kinda enjoying this laid back lifestyle!
 
Yeah, really hard to believe it has been 2 weeks. Honestly, it is going so well, sometimes I forget what my body hss been through. I got released from home PT after 4 sessions. She didn't know what to do with me! I see my surgeon tomorrow. Can't wait to see about getting back slowly to some stationary biking and upper body weight work. Also, driving!

I walked ably 3/4 of a mile today without the cane (PT approved.) Working on my heel toe stride and not reverting back to a limp. I make sure that I ice and elevate afterward.

Everyday stronger for both of us. Everyday closer to getting back to our active lives!
 
@Zumbamama glad that things are going well! It's so exciting to see progress!
My PT has had me on a stationary bike for 10 minute warm ups the last few weeks. Not sure what my OS would think about that but it has gone very well. Can't wait to get back to excercise but I do agree, the laid back lifestyle has been a nice break!
 
Hi @Molly12 ! Things are going very well, time certainly has a way of moving along quickly! I can't believe it will be 7 weeks on Tuesday..... We are now on vacation in Maine and I'm riding my bike, getting down in the beach chairs and walking about 2 or so miles at a time. Before we left, I spent week 5 and the first half if week 6 going to my Zumba and barre classes!!! It was so wonderful to see my students and to dance with them again! I started with doing a half an hour of class and quickly moved to feeling comfortable doing the whole hour. I still was taking it easy but I now feel confident I will be back better than ever! But I don't quite have my full strength back, and I need to keep doing a lot of stretching to get my flexibility back. It was easy to be diligent about doing all my PT exercises before we left for Maine, but it's lot harder with while I'm here...I have 4 siblings, and we rent houses together with all our kids so it's very chaotic... I think there 24 of us all together!! It is the most fun in the whole world, but finding time to do my exercises is impossible! Maybe tomorrow.
How are you doing? I hope you are enjoying summer and your new hip!
 
Just read through your thread, @Zumbamama. Wow! I am impressed. I also had bilateral hip replacements and am a dancer. Like you, I never had any major injuries, and didn't expect this.

I'm six weeks out, but don't feel like I can turn out yet. I'm interested to hear that you can do your Barre classes. I may try doing some Floor Barre. I see my surgeon next week.

Thanks for the excellent thread. It's very inspiring.
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! Congradulations on your new hips! Ahhhh, turnout..... the final frontier!!! It is so hard!!! Finally, someone I can talk to who will truly understand! Trying to explain it to the nurse practitioner was impossible. To them my recovery is so fast. Im back teaching Zumba and Barre at my full schedule and those classes are going so well! I just started back to teaching ballet last week and my turnout is literally embarrassing!!!! Haha! it definitely feels funky in the hip if i turnout too far especially on the right leg. Its really hard to lift up off the hip if you know what I mean and almost feels like the hip is slipping in there. I started taking class a few weeks before I started teaching and I do feel better each week, so I think I just need to be patient and go easy on the right side. I have been only working from 1st position and using my students to demonstrate. It is painful on the right leg (in my thigh) at barre if the exercise just stays on one leg the whole time. I have found that every little pain I have worried about has eventually resolved itself so I am just pushing myself a bit each time and making myself do things that are hard but listening to my body.

So how are you doing? I will read your thread later when I get home..... I teach barre then Ballet right after. I'm looking forward to learning more about your story!

Mary
 
Hi Mary, Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I don't feel comfortable even attempting to turn out yet. I'm not sure I ever will. I have friends who are all back teaching ballet. They are encouraging me to take class with them, but I'm reticent. My new hips turn way in...like pigeon toed. It's sort of the opposite of the way i was before I had the surgery. For now I'm happy with the home PT, gym, swimming, and yoga for now. I just don't want to mess anything up. Trying to turn out scares me. Maybe I will feel more confident and ready in time. I like to boogie a little bit. So, I am healing quickly. I may try doing some floore barre, first.

Congratulations on all that you're doing. My friends who have had both hips replaces are now doing the splits, pointe work, and 6:00 penches! Unbelievable!!!! (They are in their 50's, 60's, and 70's!)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom