Bilateral THR Zumbamama is getting ready to shake it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pleased to hear you are doing well @Zumbamama. I hated the electric compression cuffs they put on me. But even so I still have to wear the compression socks, not finding them so bad but that maybe because its not too warm here in UK at the moment.
Once you get home you will be able to relax a bit more and do things at your own pace.
 
Look at you! You're doing so well, especially having had bilateral surgery! I bet you're so happy you opted to get both hips out of the way! I'm so happy for you!
 
@Cynthia777 yes, I'm glad I did both. After the surgery my doc told my husband that the second one was bad as well and that we had made the right decision doing both. When I walk they feel like they are the same length and I feel like they are very equal in pretty much every way. My left foot turns in a little which it never did before but the PT wasn't worried about it
 
Welcome to the other side @Zumbamama ! Well done having BTHR! I look forward to following your recovery. I'll leave your official articles here for you to refer back to during this process:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
I'm hoping the new surgeon I'm seeing will offer the bilateral. Even if he does the bilateral, he may not offer it to me as I'm not a Zumba Mama, but I'm more of a Couch Mama! If my foot ends up turning in I'll be in real trouble! I was born pigeon toed! It seems to make sense that your hips/legs would feel like a matching pair since they really are...lol. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So glad it's all behind you! Rest and more rest! So glad both of your hips are done!
 
Day3. Well, they kept me for one more night...which was fine with me. I did more pt in the afternoon and went up 4 stairs and down 4 stairs. It was exhausting! I got a surprise visit from one of my best friends who moved to Tampa in the fall, and I hadn't seen since then. What a treat! Nothing else interesting for the rest of the day. I slept ok but it's hard to sleep on my back. The nurse came in around 5:15 and when she did I realized my pain meds had worn off. It was really hard to get out of bed, even harder than the first day. My left hamstring was KILLING me. She gave me my oxy and I managed to go back to sleep for about 2 more hours. Now we will see what today holds!
 
Hi Zumbamama!! So glad things are going well. We are kind of neighbors; I live in Hershey, PA. I will be having bilateral anterior approach surgery on June 2. Glad to see you are doing so well!!!
 
It sounds as though you're doing pretty good. One of the very important "Mantra's" (besides ice and elevate) that seems to be a central theme on BS, is to keep ahead of the pain. I've also read many recoveries where members had to ASK for their pain meds once they were in quite a bit of pain, as they weren't given to them routinely. I wonder if it's possible to request that the nurses wake you to make sure you get those meds every three or four hours (or however often you can take them)? Just a thought.
 
Sometimes you do need to be your own advocate regarding the pain meds. Speak up if you are hurting at all. Cynthia is right - the trick is to stay ahead of any pain. Onward and upward!
 
@Lauren Spin Trainer Hi! I've seen a few of your posts and it seems that you Are very active, like me! I teach about 15 classes a week: 10 Zumba, 3 barre, 1 ballet, and 1 abs and stretch. This whole thing has been very hard for me to accept because I have been basically injury free my whole life! I used to dance professionally in NYC. then I had my own dance company for 7 years (until we moved to PA). When we moved to PA it became too difficult to teach and rehearse at night, so I transitioned to gym classes and I love it.
My range of motion has become so limited and half way through classes the pain would start to kick in and I was feeling so discouraged that I couldn't move the way I wanted to anymore, so I decided it was time. My students have been so encouraging and supportive of this whole thing..... I am so blessed! I'm hoping to be back teaching at the 9th week... But I guess only time will tell! How are you feeling about your upcoming surgery?
 
@Cynthia777 The way they administer pain meds here is that they automatically give you the lighter pain meds but you have to ask for the narcotic ones. I should have asked for them to wake me last night, but I had one right before I went to bed and I was really tired and a night of not being disturbed seemed like a good idea. For anyone who is reading this and coming up on surgery.... Ask for the meds!!! When it hurts it really hurts!! I'm going home today and I am going to set my alarm and take them exactly as prescribed.
 
@Zumbamama i felt like the second day was the hardest, I woke up so stiff and sore. Each day has gotten a little better. Today is the first day I've woken up completely pain free and have taken nothing since last night at 10 pm! Have you considered setting your phone alarm clock to wake you for pain meds?
 
@Zumbamama

I agree with Gummy Bears. The second day post-op was the hardest.

At my hospital, the nurses asked if it was my preference to be woken to take the pain meds around the clock. Once they knew that was what I wanted, they kept up that schedule, and I stayed ahead of the pain. It really is key.

Back at home, my husband set his phone alarm to keep me on schedule. Especially for the first few days, I don't think I would have kept everything straight on my own. :)
 
I'm hoping to be back teaching at the 9th week
Probably a bit aggressive. Especially as you have such an active job. Read the article I left you about Energy Drain. It's a real part of this recovery and for many a hard one to get past. We usually recommend waiting 10-12 weeks and then a Phased return to work . Of course everyone is different. But you should discuss this with your surgeon since you are very active.
I'm going home today and I am going to set my alarm and take them exactly as prescribed.
:thumb:
 
@Zumbamama Hi, fellow bilateral. Sounds like you are on your way. Please do let your body heal. You have got rid of that nasty pain. Now the recovery pain will come and go, so keep meds going and don't try to hurry the process. Congradulations!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom