THR Z's Postop thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi JZ,
I've never ventured out of Boston (in which I had a great time btw) on my travels in MA but did go up to Vermont skiing one time! It's a truly lovely part of the world ....should be it's called NEW England after all!
I am truly impressed with your 10 minute mile!!!!! ....RESPECT I am not worthy!!! (truly) I'd absolutely love it if my surgeon tells me in a couple of weeks that I could even attempt any sort of running.
I can instinctually understand why early muscle building in recovery would have the sort of effect you mention, so it's important to have the correct stretching regimes. So presumably the "hula" and "hip check" are primarily stretching exercises to "release" the building but tightening muscles?
Funnily enough I occasionally do the "hula" (just sort of flexing things without knowing it's a "real" exercise!) before I get out of bed in the am and it does "feel" good so I'll keep on doing it!
The hip check I tried before writing this and I'm not sure I did it right? (We don't really have ice hockey in the uk so I'm trying to imagine what it is!) What I actually did was stand with my feet about 25cms apart and push my non op hip sharply outwards but keeping it in the same plane..... was this right as I did feel quite a stretch going on? Not very sure how many I could or should do tho'? It doesn't feel dangerous so I'll keep doing them every time I think to (within reason).

Thanks so much for the tips JZ you're a diamond!

ATB

CC
 
Charlie

sending this from my phone

you should push the NEW hip out to the side

so in my case I had my left hip done...i push my pelvis out to the left
 
Wow Z a 10 minute mile-jog that's great!

This hip stuff is very clever uh! I've been tempted to try and jog, not to do full time just to see if I can do. I'm definitely not a runner, I went through a phase yikes 10 years ago and would run-jog daily 6-10 miles YIKES just writing that makes me wonder if that added to my wear and tear to my old hip, who knows. I'm finding right now going up and down stairs amazing, I was a complete mess before the surgery and now just loving it all.

Hope your long weekend is going well.

xxooxx
 
The man certainly has some fine skills...

...i think that the juggling and tricks have grown exponentially in the last 15 years. What was considered fancy stuff when I was a kid is a few leagues below what I regularly see today...

Thanks,
Z

I happen to be off to have a kick myself. Son is off to school and I don't want to bother a friend for what might be 10 min top...but could be less than a minute if it doesn't feel right..So I'll use a goal sized kickboard at the local school...

Oh...and I was right...those LLD exercises can create a twinge or 2
 
Hi JZ,

Let's hope it goes well and safe ... although after doing a mile run I'm absolutely sure you'll be ok.
I've not done the hip check yet today, too busy with house guests but I'll make sure I do it the right way today :DOH: ... then look out for the twinges tomorrow!
ATB
C
 
Hey Z,

Thought of you because tomorrow our weather in upstate NY is supposed to be 86! You could be outside exercising all day...hoping it will be nice and warm for you also. Take care.
 
OMG, Z (I could write this entire post in initials couldn't I?) You RAN a 10 minute mile??? That's amazing. You continue to be my hero. I think there must be something in all this PT you've been doing, which strikes me as fearfully complicated. I'm even lazier this hip than the last in terms of doing formal exercise. Although I go to the gym and swim in the normal course of events, and will again once I can drive, my only serious workout is walking, and lots of it. But that's denied me at the moment, obviously, and besides I'm in my 'rest period' at present, so not leaving the house, which is beginning to drive me demented. On the other hand, I go up and downstairs a minimum of 20 times a day (must count them some time) and I reckon that's good enough PT for me. I still admire you and your dedication, though. It's great to have someone on this forum to act as a role model, even if most of us can't hope to keep up!
 
Congrats on the jog about! Aren't those gifts a boost? The daily 'not just yets' along the path require such patience, and then the surprises of 'oh, i did it!, and it's ok!' are the best medicine ever.
 
Carol and Diane,

I still like to remind folks that 3 steps forward and 2 steps back is still progress! I'd say that I have my share of setbacks that make me stop for a day here and 4 days there...and Yes, I may do too much, too often. But I do like to keep putting a toe in the water and seeing how things might feel....and as long as it feels pretty ok, I give it a go. (but maybe do half of what my heart tells me to do..)

But just so folks know...I was very much a runner before, and even had those "AHH TO HE** WITH IT" days last fall (Oct 2011) where I thru caution to the wind and got some miles in on my failing hip...I figured it was already bad enough that it was gonna be replaced, how much worse could i make it...

A good day for me has always been one where I could go for a run in the sunshine...and in the future I will be limited on distance and it HAS TO BE ON A TRAIL, not road... But I hope to have some of those days in the sun.

Now if it was in Moab, or Zion, or Glacier....all the better. :thumb:

Z
 
Thanks for bopping by to celebrate my post op. ...and as I am reading your thread point taken, a few steps forward a few back. Was doing great with the walker, back felt fine, progress, moved to cane, back UGH, forward, back. On To the the next phase. You seem to be pretty at peace with the process. I could learn from your attitude. Have a good wknd. -cathy
 
Cathy,

Dealing with the process comes very natural to me.

I have been a software debugger and troubleshooter since day 1.

In sports I lean toward defense.

Artistically I am challenged.

So basically I am saying that I am not CREATIVE...I am REACTIVE. I deal with situation that I am confronted with. A software bug that someone else "wrote". A challenging attack on my goal that THEY control and I need to react to and STOP.

I don't mean to be overly philosophical, but I am wired to deal with "problems" and find the "best" solution. I actually LIKE it... :blush:

I don't like the creative side as much and frankly I am not good at it. BUT, creative people like to be in control and drive the outcome. Me...I look at the data, ponder the options, and move fwd...

Philosophy 203 for a Sunday AM :old: ...I hope you get some much needed rain up there!

Z
 
LOVE the smilie and I note that he has a cane! (from his hip replacement, right?) Too early Sunday morning for philosophy 203, I need 101, Ha!Ha! But seriously, Z, love the way you look at things and take care of business...your posts are most helpful to all of us. Thanks!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Z's Postop thread
 
Z,
your philosophy explanation makes perfect sense to me. I think I fluctuate and switch sides here and there, but do tend more towards the control. Though I work hard to then let go and let life, but getting there is more of a process for me, does not come natural. I do feel, for myself, finding that balance and being in the moment, is what feels healthiest.

Until now ( thinking of a career switch) I do computer support, which, of course, is very diff from programming. Having had to take programming in school, I do get more of a sense of what you are talking about as far as the problem solving. Thanks for the deep thoughts this started me on this a.m. Puts my head in the right place today.

We hardly got the rain we needed :( but at least we got some. Last year record highs, this year tied with record lows on the lake level. It is a **** shot. Later gator, Cathy
 
Z I have not checked in for quite awhile and was pretty proud that I was running up stairs in the house. Then I saw you ran 10 miles! We can't keep up so slow down. Seriously that's fantastic. Look forward to seeing you in next Aprils Boston Marathon!
 
Rusty,

Thanks...but that was a 10 MINUTE mile...quite different. I've gone on 3 different TWO mile trail runs at this point and all that hurts afterwards is EVERYTHING BUT MY NEW HIP!! :yes 4:

Those "jogs" thru the woods (with cellphone in hand) are more like 10:30 per mile, but they do make me smile...

Thanks for checking in...but I'll also mention that I don't think anything close to a 10 mile run will be in my future due to the hip. I expect 4 miles will be the outer edge of what I do (except perhaps for an annual 10K or something like that :wink1:).

Much needed rain in New England kept me indoors for a couple days...but hopefully I can jog after work tonite...:happy dance:

Z
 
Hi Z

I love your goal setting and I love reading your posts and the approach you have taken to recovery from day one..

Love little old man time (smilie)

See ya!
 
Somewhere you talked about realizing you were still protecting yourself when you didn't need to anymore. Thought I'd share a funny story. I forgot how to sit down normally on a toilet :th_heehee: I got released from the 90 degree thing and when I took the raised seat off it took me 3 days (not kidding) to sit down normally. It felt like it was so low that if I really sat down normal I'd hurt something. Then I had developed this habit of sticking my right leg out too. I was cracking myself right up. I actually went to the spare room, where the bed is lower and practiced sitting down. Not sure where I've said this before but right b4 my surgery my moms 17 yr old hip dislocated. I think that set the tone for me big time, and may have made me actually not do things I actually could have been doing. In the past now - Feels like my body is unwinding. It is not like a switch I can turn on and off.

Just goes to show me what they say about habits is true, that it takes 30 days to set a habit. I have to remember that for any positive habits I want to set.

Hope you are having a good day, and yes, finally got some good steady rain yesterday and in the night. I heard the plants outside shouting :yes 4:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom