Guest viewing is limited

THR Z's Postop thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charlie and Rusty,

I get the impression talking to my therapist that ALL skaters can benefit from this as off season training. My relatively nice stationary bike only cost $275 so this for $150 is no deal and someone is getting rich on it but it is a great workout in a small area.

and OK Charlie....I appreciate you FINALLY making me smart about the futility of soccer being played here in the US. As you know the UShas only beaten Spain, Italy and tied the lowly Brits and Brazil in the last few years. I'm sure tieing a team like England has got to be mortifying for a serious side wouldn't you say? :wink1:

Have a lovely weekend,

Z
 
Touche'

This Wikipedia page may interest you it certainly had a great effect on those eEnglish fans and journalists at the time ....I WAS TOO YOUNG TO REMEMBER!!!!:loll:

broken link removed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_v_United_States_(1950)

Have a good Easter.

C
 
Greetings Z!
I hit Day 70 today, thought I would share along with you. I wasn't smart enough to start a long running recovery thread like you did. I'll do that for my left hip. :-)

I've had no set-backs, sorry for yours and glad you're mending so well. I "graduated" from PT on 21-March. I was surprised, I thought I would continue for another few weeks. I passed all their strength and balance tests. The visit with my OS went very well, cleared me to do just about anything I want to do but to not "over do" any one thing... exceptions were turning both feet out 180* or further, so ballet is out. heh! I was able to mow our 1/2 acre of grass with the tiny push mower... zero pain. A year ago, I would have been out of commission for 2 days afterward with a belly of Ultracet. Very pleased. This week, I'm going to join a gym so I can continue to re-hab gently on my own.

Thanks for the thread & your reports of progress.
 
Well done, JD...sounds like your surgery was just what the doctor ordered.

I really feel like I turned another corner as well. I jogged around my very cushy (borderline soggy) backyard for about 5 minutes yesterday and only stopped cuz this newly found rational side of me said that if I did 10 minutes I just might regret it BIG TIME. But today I feel great...so tomorrow I'll try that again.

Do "under-do" everything the first time or 2 at the gym. It can be frustrating, but the "overdoing" potential is not worth it.

Keep us posted!

Z
 
Hi Z and JD,

I'm comforted knowing you don't plan to take up ballet JD!

Sorry you had a minor set up Z you sound better today!!

Have good week!

xxooxx
 
Hi Z,

How's the slide board exercise going? If you were really fond of it you could probably replicate something close to it at home -- I'm thinking socks, hardwood floor and a couple cinder blocks.... :rolleyespink:

Have a good day,
Cardie
 
Cardieeeeeee,

I said it was an EXCELLENT WORKOUT...I DIDN'T say i LIKED IT... :wink1:

I may get to do that at ONE MORE pt session and that will likely be it. I mentioned it here in case folks did have access they might give it a go.

I am transitioning from the: Getting ready to live my life again to Living my life again

I think the % of exercises that I do that are specifically for my hip will begin to wane and my hips will just have to benefit from hiking and biking and kicking and jogging and rowing. I'll see how that goes and add in whatever Hippy stuff I feel i need. I am willing to bet that right now the muscles around my NEW hip are significantly stronger than around the old crusty one...and that is not a bad thing. :thumb:

Z
 
Hi JZ,

Yes I know EXACTLY what you mean, I'm still doing some of my exercises but it seems that I do them every other day rather than every day like yesterday I did some gardening.
It consisted of me putting on my work boots and digging large holes in the stony earth to plant some Laurel bushes ....yes I know some people have ALL the fun!
I then cut our lawns with my trusty push along motor mower.
I really enjoyed it but i think I'll suffer a little later .... BUT it's as you say, "LIVING MY LIFE" WHICH IS GREAT!!! ....and my wife is very happy to get me working again!!:th_heehee:
Ditto the muscle thing as my old hip didn't have much ROM the muscles really never developed like they are now!
All the best,
CC
 
Hi Z, glad you are doing so well. Fantastic if you are doing the slide board, no matter what your form looks like. I look to people like you to remind me that the future holds much more movement than I have now. Thanks for continuing to post. -Cathy
 
Hi Z,

Yea, I could tell that you didn't really like that slider exercise... I was just envisioning you, some 6 months out, in your latest #15 jersey scratching your head and thinking about what to do to mix it up for your latest workout routine. That's all, just figuring that if the urge hit you that you'd probably be able to figure out some way to recreate that particular torture, er uh, exercise...

:thumb:Carry on you are doing great,
Cardie
 
I vote for a video of the home made slider with socks, hardwood floor and cinder blocks. Then again I could see things going horribly wrong too. The difference between a YouTube contribution and an appearance on Americas Funniest Home Videos.

Congratulations on the continuing dedication and progress!
 
.

I am transitioning from the: Getting ready to live my life again to Living my life again

Z

Love it! :thumb:

.I think the % of exercises that I do that are specifically for my hip will begin to wane and my hips will just have to benefit from hiking and biking and kicking and jogging and rowing. I'll see how that goes and add in whatever Hippy stuff I feel i need.

Z

I hear you. I've started doing my normal workouts over the past week or so and will be leaving the hip specific stuff for my remaining PT visits. Onward and upward!
 
I agree, that the regular exercises are taking over. I find that I am busy doing things all day and then late in the evening I think, wow, forgot my hip exercises. Guess, life is getting slowly back to normal again. The hip just has to fit itself into the regular exercises.
Have a great weekend.
Bea
 
There is no doubt that I have been neglecting my right side....time to work on a lil symetry!!

I met with my surgeon with the main topic being my LLD. I don't notice it except when standing with my feet relatively close together. My PT had suggested to NOT do exercises specific to it, and to concentrate on the other aspects of recovery...but it seems like time to do some Evening Out exercises (and no...i don't mean a nite on the town)

Everything else is great...and, since my trip into the city took so long, I decided to just put in for a whole vacation day and enjoy this nice weather, so I am starting the weekend EARLY!!!! :yes 4:

I hope you all have a great one.

I hope everyone's symptoms or problems or pains take a couple days off and let my BS friends rest a bit... :sleepz:

Z
 
There is no doubt that I have been neglecting my right side....time to work on a lil symetry!!

I met with my surgeon with the main topic being my LLD. I don't notice it except when standing with my feet relatively close together. My PT had suggested to NOT do exercises specific to it, and to concentrate on the other aspects of recovery...but it seems like time to do some Evening Out exercises (and no...i don't mean a nite on the town)

I hope everyone's symptoms or problems or pains take a couple days off and let my BS friends rest a bit... :sleepz:

Z

I have gotten a lot of benefit from just tilting my pelvis as I am walking, Just think like you are walking cross ways on a slope and compensate, feels weird but looks good from the outside.

Thanks for the good will, I hope things are better for you too.
 
Good for you on starting your wknd early. It is a glorious day here in Vermont which makes everything so much lighter and brighter. ...yes may we all have a good one :)
 
Hi Z, glad to hear you are having a long weekend, even if the start of it was due to an appointment.

Have a great weekend, we are off to the farmers markets soon. Hubby had a 7 am apt for eye test for drivers licence and is just at work for an hour and then we will go.. It was only 2C here this morning so a bit chilly Brrrrrr!
 
Hi JZ,

How much is your LLD? ...and more importantly what are yo're Evening out exercises?
I've probably mentioned my LLD is +or- 1.5 cms which I'm compensating with a 1 cm heel lift which is ok but I'd rather not use one at all so would be interested to know what you're approach is.
Hope your weather is as good as South East England today it's beautiful here today!

All the best,

Charlie
ps Where abouts in the US are you ... am guessing not the Coasts ... maybe Colorado?
 
Hi Charlie,

I am in northern Massachusetts about 35 miles from the coast....which is an hour drive given the circuitous routes of this part of the country.

My LLD in my hip is .5 cm (which was intentional to put it back to its original configuration and will be balanced when i eventually do #2) but I also have a length difference in my leg for a grand total of about 1 cm. BUT, I will claim that my i also have a bit of pelvic tilt that is NOT LETTING GO. So it really feels more significant when I stand with my feet together.

My doc has said that he finds that folks who work aggressively to progress with lots of early strengthening and stabilizing tend to take longer to level out. I inferred that I've got lots of strong muscles holding this hip area like there is no tomorrow and relaxing and tilting to accomodate the dif is not on their immediate agenda. I beleive it...I actually have been wondering just that for awhile.

I "jogged" a 10 minute mile yesterday (on a woodland trail...quite cushy)...it felt good, I feel fine this AM. I mention this because I am hoping this is going to have an impact (pun intended) on the LLD. When one runs, as opposed to walking, there is a time where neither foot is on the ground and they are completely unweighted and flexxing reaching for the next landing (footfall). I think that that process done thousands of times per jog will have an effect.

Ok...the std LLD exercices. The first is the

hula - Lying on your back, legs straight in front of you, extend the heel of the shorter leg "down", away from your shoulder. Do not do the same for the long leg.

hip check - standing tall with feet roughly 20-40 cm aparts do a hocky hip check, sticking the hip of the LONGER leg out to the side. I certainly feel a good amount of stetching when I do this.

My doc did not give any # of reps for these but i have 2 thots.

1. The hip checks seems like somehting I can do while waiting for the coffee to finish brewing or while shaving or when standing in line at the store -and-

2. These seem like they could lead to angry crampy muscles if done too much too fast.

Please let me know if that hip check feels like it is stretching the right stuff. It's easier for me to get a better stretch with my feet CLOSER together.

Z
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom