Brilliant! I can remember that sense of elation when I could do it for the first time. I don't kneel for long on the carpet and and use a cushion or pillow if I need to kneel for longer than a few minutes, but it is great to be able to do it isn't it?
Getting back to those simple things that we took for granted before is a huge accomplishment now! After the simple things comes the more complex things. Before you know it you are back to normal.
@Zommom I'm scheduled for my second TKR on July 22, so I'll be a little behind you, but I'm going to follow your thread for moral support. I had major complications with my right TKR last Fall and thought I wouldn't even consider doing the left knee until January 2020, but I've begun to have deterioration in my left ankle joint as my left knee becomes more distorted - because it is so bent in, the left leg is functionally 1 inch shorter than the right leg with its straightened knee joint. So now I am also having back, hip, and even balance issues from my lopsided body! Good luck to you!
@Motherbone good luck to you as well! I will be pleased to be yours or anyone's moral support guide. This has been quite a journey and I have overcome a lot of my fears anger and frustration on this forum and its supportive members. So as the wounded knees heal our head and soul does as well. I find that looking for humor in anything helps me tremendously! I also have learned that there is a reason for everything. I was very disappointed that my surgery was postponed from June 11th to July 9th because my A1C was too high. Well I kicked it into gear and fasted, cut out the carbs (the chips, potatoes, candy etc.) tried to exercise/walk but pretty hard with this bum knee and as of today I have lost 10lbs and I also took a home test for A1C and it was down a full point! So with that I am certain my preop will go smoothly tomorrow and my surgery will be a go. My left knee needed that extra month to heal as well.
Wow, 10lbs in such a short time is impressive. That's terrific and great that you have your sugar level down. Every cloud has a silver lining. Sometimes they're hard to find at the time. Good luck with the pre-op!
Ready, set, GO! Pre op test results are in and my A1C has dropped 1.3 points giving me under the "in range" number to proceed with the surgery. I was so happy to get this news from my PCO she praised my hard work and determination, immediately after her call I almost threw up mainly from relief but confirmation of the fright and trauma that is to come. I will need to now to change my thinking to how much better I will be getting around 3-4 months from now with 2 knees that work!
Terrific, you've done so well. I can see me being quite jealous when you're bouncing around on two good legs and I've still to go through it. Good luck. I'll be thinking of you and sending lots of good vibes for a smooth recovery.
Who gets the flu in June/July I do! Last Friday I headed down to our cabin for the weekend. I felt tired and aching. Went to visit the neighbors but left soon as I felt the need to just lay down. 2 days later I crawled out of bed and drove myself home. Showered and back to bed. Today I feel somewhat normal. I am so worried about infection that I ran to the walk in clinic. I do have a viral infection and I need to inform my surgical team about proceeding on the 9th as planned. Rest, fluids , and monitoring that my fever does not come back or my blood sugar spikes was my prescription. I just can’t fathom another delay
Got the official go ahead this morning so tomorrow it is on! Need to be there at 10am. Told me it will be an overnight. It was touch and go this past week with getting the flu and an UTI! Today I feel great just in time to feel like **** for a few weeks!
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.