BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Zombies Love to Dance<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Zommom, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Zommom

Zommom senior

United States United States
    Well, I blew off a PT evaluation today. My knee is just too swollen and painful for this torture today. Sleepness nights are starting to take its toll. I am so tired when I go to bed and then kabam I'm wide away, uncomfortable and restless. Last night it was the worse with the pain. Took 2 Tylenol and a Tramadol at 4am so I am a little goofy today! The only reason I was going to PT was OS was worried about my flex and extension at 6 weeks was 90 and 8 and so I went about 3 times. Brought those numbers to 110 flex and 3 extension at 8 weeks . To them it is not great and at 10 weeks with all the swelling and pain it would not be any better. I see the OS again Sept 23. and it will be what it will be. This is all so depressing I am afraid to call in for more Tramadol but when this knee hurts it hurts - shooting pain like a knife! Today is also 9/11 so sad what happened to us in 2001, so much has changed and I get pretty depressed. This is also the one year anniversary of my stroke! That's probably why I didn't sleep well. Hubby also was up in pain with his shoulder and he pulled a muscle in his back! Poor guy goes in Friday for a new Shoulder I sure hope he has a good outcome. So I need to put on my big girl panties on and switch to being the "Caregiver"!

2. Motherbone

Motherbone senior

Some days are better, some are worse, I'm wishing you more of the better. Glad you blew off PT. Sometimes you just have to do what makes you feel calmer psychologically and let the chips fall where they may. Just doing your day to day activities will probably help your knee just as much. I agree, it was a solemn day.

3. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    That was a good decision. Well done!

PT should not be painful, and particularly not torture. If it is, then it's the wrong sort of PT for a healing knee.

Your ROM now is quite good and it's going to continue to improve, as your knee heals and its swelling goes down.
    try not to do anything that increases your pain or swelling. Your knee is going to get plenty of exercise as you look after your husband, so you won't need additional exercises.

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your knee is capable of achieving good ROM right from the start, and its ROM will gradually increase as it heals and its internal and external swelling decrease.

There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

I'm sorry you're feeling depressed. Things do seem to be ganging up on you. remember, though,that it's normal to get the blues after a nee replacement and this stage will pass.
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Zommom

Zommom senior

Thanks all...I guess it's true that its always darkest before the dawn!. Had a funeral for a coworker today. Had to drive 2 hours there and back in the rain. It was a long but beautiful service and surprisingly I did well . I did alot of sitting and standing and the knees held up (not perfect, but better)! The choir and soloist were phenomenal and did my soul good.
    Your right, PT was more a psychological torture than physical. My first knee was proof of that - once I quit PT it started getting better without the worry of if I will make those "numbers" its just fine now. I have come to realize that each knee is different and this one wants more time for gentle healing. So be it.
    Finally - Post Op Blues are for real!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Lindylee

Lindylee graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Awww, sorry to hear the blues have hit. Sometimes these events all happen together and overwhelm us and then it can be tough to move on. You've had a lot to deal with so it's not surprising in many ways. Be kind to yourself and your knees. You, and they, deserve it. I hope your husband's surgery is successful and he makes a good recovery. Take care now. You will get through it. Sending a big hug across the airwaves to you. :console2:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Zommom

Zommom senior

@Lindylee a big hug and thank you to my UK friend! Hubby is ready and I am now in caregiver mode. I hope your 2nd knee surgery (when you decide) goes smoothly for you. I am sending good vibes across the Atlantic to you

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Zommom

Zommom senior

Hubby received a reverse shoulder replacement yesterday, Friday the 13th no less! All went well his OS said it was a mess, bone spurs , torn rotor cuff and that his bones were so hard that it wore the ball flat! So I am taking care of him. Icing his shoulder and my knees at the same time. Both knees are extremely swollen with the whole hospital thing and so are my feet so elevating and icing again.

8. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:console2:Hugs to both of you!

9. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    @Zommom
    I hope that, while caring for you husband, you can find enough time to rest, too. I can picture both of you, resting and icing, recovering together.

10. Lindylee

Lindylee graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Good to hear it's over and done with. I can see your ice machine being in constant use between the two of you. I hope you can sync your rests together and get plenty of them. :sleep::sleep:

11. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

In between your caregiving, try and get as much icing, elevating and resting that you can.