Guest viewing is limited

THR Zauberflote #2 on other side!!

One thing I strongly believe is thoughts become things. If we focus on a symptom too much it can get worse. Think positive thoughts and I'm sure your tingling lip and numbness will subside. It's the mind body connection. Take it or leave it, these are my thoughts. And I agree, chocolate is the best, everything going in moderation though, hehe. Happy healing @zauberflote. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Oh @Steelergal what a wonderful thing to have your PT doing muscle work already!! I think it will help indeed, keep me posted!
Today seems to be my day of education. Somewhere else today I sort of erroneously posted that I thought that no muscles were cut in any approach. I wuz wrong, it appears! (from our library here). It looks to me like in the posterior approach two muscles are removed from the bone, so I guess strictly speaking they are "cut". Being technical and all. But not as in a C-section, where they still have to cut through the abdominal wall and the uterus. For us anteriors, it looks like no cutting, but I still can't imagine not having to pull things out of the way. But I'm not watching any live videos, no thank you! :shocked:

And oh my yes how we all overdo it! And then underdo the medication. I have gone back to my first hip journal, finding two or more places where I concluded that I was undermedicating. I sincerely wish not to do that this time around, and I wish for nobody else to get stuck in that either!!
 
Your info is that same as I was told re: the posterior approach; a couple of muscles are "freed from the bone", according to the phrasing in my own operation report. I also asked a PA about it, and he confirmed, too. I've had some pain in the outside of my hip, which sure feels to me as though those muscles are healing, but it's not really bad at all.

I'm so glad to read you are finding your previous experiences helpful. That's why I am recording my experience here, too.
 
UGH, any thought of cutting or "freed from the bone" is awful. But I guess it's what they have to do! I most likely undermedicating this week (I was anxious to get back to driving!), so I'll make sure I keep up with the Tylenol! I wish I'd kept a better journal with my last surgery so I could compare! I'm just so grateful to read things here and realize everything I'm going through is normal!

It's also uplifting to hear that so many of the July hippies are doing so well!
 
Glad things are settling down a bit for you @zauberflöte ! I had a very tough time with taking Percocet or Vicodin or Tramadol because of nausea (even though I took them on a full stomach). Last Friday I had an anti-nausea prescription filled, but have not tried it yet because I have not needed to take anything more than Advil (and red wine *wink*) for the last 4 days! I find the weekends are better for me because I am not sitting at my desk for long periods, getting stiff. I find if I get up at least every half hour or so and take a brief stroll around the house that helps. You are doing great for less than 3 weeks!
 
@gwenc I am going to have to remember that anti-nausea medication stuff for my d-i-l, who swore off narcotics forever this weekend in a short stay at the hospital. It's very possible that part of her problem was the massive amounts of high-octane antibiotics they were pushing into her, too. But yeah, nausea. Oddly, last hip was more nausea, this hip more other weird stuff! Glad you are doing so well on the fruit of the vine....red wine gives me a headache, and all adult beverages these days give me the hangover after a few ounces' equivalent to wine/beer. Dang!! Now I'm an even cheaper date!!!!

@Steelergal re driving LOLOL I parked my car the day before surgery, and put it wayyy too close to the next car in our little lot-- the one that doesn't start.... So here I am, wanting to start driving, but not highly motivated yet. I'm trying to figure out how to get into the driver's side of a car through an 18" opening. Maybe 24". I got OUT, surely I can get IN, right? It hurt a whole lot more on July 19 than it does today, that's for sure! Next on my list, after The Great Bed Swap ongoing today.

@KiKi60 you are 17 days ahead of me-- that's almost twice as far as I've already come-- I long to be there!!!! Hapy you :yay:
 
Hahaha, muscles "freed from the bone", isn't that a nice way of saying cut through?
Just like saying "and then the femoral head is removed" ......you mean sawed off?
Then the femur is prepared......you mean reamed out?
I totally understand they aren't going to put it out there in such a gruesome way but you have to chuckle at how they clean it all up. @zauberflöte i wouldn't watch any video either. My dad and husband both told me not to watch it beforehand, knowing I'm squeamish.
I could barely get thru a 2 minute animation of the process, after my surgery.
The reaming out of the femur stopped me.
Call me weird but is any other woman slightly bothered by all the unlady like poses our pantie-less body was contorted into during the process. Makes me embarrassed thinking about it, haha!
 
Ok ladies those are things one doesn't even think about :beg:we must trust our surgical team. Kind of like calling the waitress that's taking our order Stupid. @zauberflöte 1000 mg is the max dosage every 6 hours unless the Doc OK's it. At least that's what it says on the bottle.I try to set my schedule around it and rarely sleep more than 6 hours. If I'm sore by 6.5 hours I know it. Takes about 30 minutes to kick in. And it isn't total relief but I like it that way. Easier to tell if I'm overdoing it.
 
thanks @Gone again ! I'm taking just 100mg less than you by taking the "arthritis formula" as directed on the bottle, but I'm hoping the extended release formula is useful. I've noticed the 30-minute thing too, for kicking in. I wish I could set my schedule around me, but that is not to be this time round, ah well. Interestingly, one set of pains fades as another takes ascendancy! Such is recovery.
 
The Great Bed Swap, a tale in 4 sheets.

So I bought me a new bed just prior to surgery. Actually I had it well before, but my mom went to the hospital and I went to be with her, putting off bed-testing until the very last minute. I slept in it one night before surgery. Wasn't positively convinced, but there was no time to change my course.
Came home, all seemed ok for many nights.
Then this "numbness and tingling" thing started, which seemed to be from either the percocet or the meloxicam or both. I haven't taken percocet in almost a week, and no meloxicam in several days either. It's persisted, moving around waxing and waning, being really really weird.
I started sleeping better night before last, which means staying in one position longer at a time.
The bed began to be uncomfortably hard...
This morning I got up and my whole backside, shoulderblades to knees, was numb! Yikes, says I, the bed really is too hard!
So. I have a left-over brand new 3" piece of nice memory foam which didn't get used on the new bed because the bed expanded 3" taller than specs, and the linens were not big enough. I proposed to put the memory foam on hubby's bed as the easiest temporary trial solution.
I am overdoing it!!! This is alot of work, as a large load of laundry had to run, that's 14 steps every time I mess with it. Then there's the shoving the beds and nightstands around-- they are not light! And all the sliding between them and tucking and pulling and flapping and adjusting etc etc etc. I sure hope I sleep well tonight!!!! I am almost finished. Can't leave hubby's undone bc he swims Monday nights, and is then stopping to pick me up an air vent deflector so I have a chance of not having chilled dry air blowing straight up my nose all night, and he won't get home until 10:30, by which time I should be well on my way to bed I hope.
My only other choice was to strip and flip the 60 lb new mattress to bring the "gel infused" surface to the top. This seemed easier....
Report tomorrow!
 
It's good that you went back and looked at your journal. I think a lot of people do under medicate. I stopped taking the percoset when I felt like it was going to my head, instead of to my hips. There was a distinct difference. It just gave me incredible relief and numbed the hips completely, so I could sleep. I did have to ice in the middle of the night sometimes, too. I remember those 3:00 a.m. ice packs.

I wonder if the bed making aggravated it? I know if I lifted anything I had a lot of pain the next day. Are you moving the nightstands and bed around? I hope you have help.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I do know exactly what you mean about the percocet going to your head not hip, and that's where I get sick of it. For me that time comes earlier than I can actually do without it, sigh. The bed making last night did aggravate everything, and I didn't sleep well. Another try tonight! I didn't lift anything heavier than a twin-size Primaloft quilt, so I'm ok on that front. All the furniture moving was shoving. I'd had a busy day Sunday, so yesterday was supposed to be an easy day, but it wasn't. Recipe for ODIC membership! I ice most of the night too! It's very very helpful/necessary.

@MyAussieGirl ewww that sounds worse, like eating chicken or something!! And I learned to type when we got a computer and I started doing email. Never did a class in high school, so it's pretty funny to watch. Hubby and son are 180 wpm guys, unbelievable. But you know, WE are the last generation with a bump on our middle finger from actual writing with actual pencil and pen LOL!
 
My sweet but mixed bag of nuts @zauberflöte I do not have a bump on my middle finger ... always the oddball mine is on my ring finger. My penmanship is very pretty but more importantly: I won scholarships for my art ... yeppers kid who could not hold a pen "right" excelled in art on that finger. But yes lol the bump!!! Still have it. I never could break that 30 wpm NOT looking. I wish I could send my thoughts and transcribe them on bonesmart. Well, some of them. :heehee:
 
@dougie0216 well, hard to say. I think only the first one qualified as magical. Life is a little (a LOT) harder now, and finding the magic takes too much energy. I'm not so happy-go-lucky with this hip. However, this one IS magically seeming to take less time to progress than the first! So hey presto magico says I!!
 
@zauberflöte I hope you were able to get your bed situated to your body's liking. My husband has a significant lumbar scoliosis, and has the worst time getting comfortable in bed. We have pillows, mattress toppers, have bought $$ mattresses, only to get a different one in a year because that one was not comfortable for him. As the body changes, the comfort level changes, too, it seems. It can be such a challenge to get a good healing night's sleep.
 
ah @KiKi60 that bed is an ongoing saga, thanks for thinking of me! I had one ok night, one bad night, and one better night in it so far. I am thinking that some of the hardness I feel in it is actually bruises on my lower back/upper buttock area. It's not as good as a water bed, and while more supportive, is not as good as the old combo of air mattress+memory foam. So, the jury's out until Saturday morning at least. I am soooo dying to sleep on my left side, and I know it's going to be October at least before that's comfortable, that everything is colored by that fervent and unfulfillable desire! Ah well.

How are you? I'll check in on your thread soon!
 
Comments at the end of Week Three.

You can put lotion on the whole lower half of your op leg with your good foot. Bonus, your good foot gets very soft.
If your pockets are just right, you can hold an ice pack in one over your anterior incision and it's wonderful (if awkward when going out...)
The very best overnight ice pack is one that came in a chilled medication mailer. Freezes fast, melts slowly. Good for 4 hours of cold.
Wrap the above in a large lightweight teatowel. Wrap from a corner, so you have long tails extending from either end of the cold pack. If you have anterior, you then tuck the tails into your undies so the cold holds its position. Who knew?
Ladies' undies these days are not cut to accommodate an anterior incision. Need thong. No Thank You!
Cats will fix anything. Apply liberally to lap. Listen carefully as purr ramps up. Note improvement in mood!
It is possible to procrastinate from doing any work by hanging around on here :snork:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom