THR Zauberflote #2 on other side!!

I hope your itchiness have hit the road @ zauberflote and you had a little more sleep. I don't remember sleeping a solid 7 or 8 hours for many years but can get that amount total. I'm up usually once to pee and now I'm changing positions a few times a night from side then back. And presurgery every time I moved I woke up with pain from the OA. And now menopause too, I get so warm. I think medications mess with our sleep cycles too from what I read if you take them long term. Can't win, hehe. We do what we have to so we can function reasonably the next day. I still take half a zoplicone most nights for sleep and put on a sleep meditation as I go to sleep. I also have a sound machine set to white noise that runs all night. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
haha @MyAussieGirl we have locked the cats up since we were first married! Neither one of us appreciates fleas in the bed, and especially we don't tolerate the 4:00am wakeupfeedme call! We've had some interesting setups. The first house, a 1930 townhouse, was special. Hubby put up a double-layer plastic "wall" in a hallway that separated the downstairs from the stairs to upstairs, to keep all the heat from collecting upstairs, which had enough radiators already. The cats would be locked behind that. One of them, an enterprising white youngster, would pick at that "wall" with one claw, carefully. BOOM! BOOM! A 12x16 ft timpani drum! Next house, another townhouse, we could choose to lock them in the basement, not a bad choice, or out of the bedroom, not so good. So...the basement door had a grille/mesh thing for ventilation. Same white cat, same claw, poink! poink! Grrr. Different house, different cats, 2007-2014: the cats could be locked into the garage/kitchen/dining/den/sunroom area by closing the den door and using a giant sheet of plywood as a makeshift door in the large opening between the dining room and the front foyer. So here's us, last person up at night gets to cart this 30-lb sheet of wood to its place, and then coax the cats into their prison. One night, mraaaoooww, mrrraaaoooww-- who's this in the bedroom? It's the cat who climbed the 6-ft-tall plywood barrier! (same one who catches squirrels now) We gave up and paid to have a nice glass door put in there.....it did make life so much easier.
Yeah, first hip I didn't wash my stockings every night, but I don't think I was showering every night for a couple of weeks either. I was very unsteady in the tiny tile shower. This time around, my new hip feels much steadier. I don't know if it's me or the hip-- I had the shower bench in the tub, as per safety rules, and I did sit on it one night. After that it was just in the way, and I feel perfectly safe in this shower-bath. Odd; no two hips are the same!

@Layla , ask away! I did not get to be a "don" by keeping my mouth shut here! And that's a very good question, as I can advise on both surfaces. For the first hip I had one of those tiny 1960's all-tile master showers, those little tiles on the floor same as you probably. It did not stick, but as the shower was very small and had a great soap dish/handlebar thing inset, I'd just shove the scrubber into the corner and scrub away. No splits possible for older than a 3-yr-old! This hip, the bath is a late 70's "jack and jill" bath pair, with a tub/shower in the Jill portion. It's got that slightly textured grid surface on it, and even where it doesn't have that, up near the faucet, the scrubber sticks very well. Do you have a bench or something, or a bar to grab? It really is a fun foot scrubber! And the only way for even my anterior approach to go. I have no 90 degree precaution, but it would hurt like the dickens to bend my leg that far yet.
And a great day to you as well!!

Cheryl @cpollock oh ugh yes menopause.... I remember "let's pretend we are not having a hot flash, let's just lie here quietly, oh **** please don't start sweating, DANG ok I give up, gotta move the covers, and now that I'm awake I guess I have to go to the bathroom, and yeah, now I'm wide awake thanks a whole lot body!"

That's cool you use both a tape and a white noise machine. We have an old mechanical one (the best kind IMNSHO) that we bought for our younger son, who it didn't help at all. 15 years ago I pulled it out again and started using it for me, and I really find it smooths the rough edges off of sudden sounds. When I first got a smartphone, I looked in the app store for a white noise app, and downloaded several before I found a perfect one. I am a good, um, "auditory discriminator"? in that I hear sounds very carefully. That's why I'm a musician, I'm sure. Anyway, I can hear the "loops" on recorded sounds, and they wake me up every time. I start counting raindrops, or waves, or fire crackles, or crickets, until the loop jerks and starts again. Finally found an app that's so good I even can't hear the loop in the cat purr! So my custom sound is a 4-way combo of cat purr, sandstorm, jetliner cabin, and boiling kettle. Very deep total sound, just what I love for hotel nights. You are so right about "doing what we have to do" to function the next day, is it a mom thing?

The itchies....I'm pretty sure it was me freaking out over the percocet itchies. It's happened every night since then, and I am ready to throw the bottle of pills out the window!! Almost two weeks, and I know there's probably another week of near-constant dosing to go. I love the stuff for about 3-5 days per surgery, and then it becomes hateful to me. Ugh.
 
Thanks @zauberflöte
Clearly I didn't think this through. I envisioned the scrubber on my shower floor either suctioned down, or not and me thinking it was, next vision...the splits......bang, crash, boom.....my new hip!!
Thanks for the idea, I can hold onto my shower door handle while the foot scrubber is in one of the corners with no worries of it going anywhere. I'm going to remember you're here next time I have a senior moment. For now, off to Amazon I go. Can't wait till it arrives.

A great night to you!
 
Hi @zauberflöte
So very sorry to hear about your mom. It has to be difficult. Hopefully with treatment it won't progress too quickly. It's hard to imagine a parent suffering from dementia. I wish for her the best and you also as you journey alongside her.

Totally switching gears here......Amazon always reels me in once I start looking. I ended up ordering a different foot washer than yours, one that doesn't go over the top of the foot. I hesitated because I wondered about getting the top of my feet clean but since the one I ordered goes up higher on the sides It will work since I have enough ankle flexibility to maneuver my foot. I also found something you can apply lotion with. We'll see if I get ripped off. Not easy applying lotion to my lower calves and ankles. It's been a challenge addressing feet in every way. Thanks for posting the picture on your thread and giving me the idea.....another problem solved.
Hope you have a nice evening and continued healing to you!
 
Thanks @Layla we can hope, but as she's nearly 90, I think my approach is going to be, it's a badge of honor for her advanced age. My mother-in-law received treatment earlier in her life, and it really worked. Also she was able to age and die at home, with family and 24/7 care. Mom can't have that, and the stress really makes a difference I think.

I think Amazon is shopping porn! See it. Like it? Click it. Mine! I just tried Kroger Clicklist today, and they caught me!!! My account is of course linked to my shopper's card, and so all the things I planned to order were right there on the screen in front of me already. I bought a few more things than I'd planned to. I did need them all, but a couple could have waited til the weekend (double fuel points on weekends...). A sister-in-law asked if she could run any errands while she was nearby, so she picked the order up. Good deal all around, but I'm still a fan of live shopping for groceries anyway! She had so much fun she wants me to do it again....

My gosh. It must be cicada hatch night in our yard! The cat just brought in his second in 30 minutes! I know they're full of protein and all that, but the new-hatched ones are covered in mud, yuk!
 
Here is an update for the books! Has anybody had anything like this happen? I've been working out dosage of pain meds, and had settled on a routine that worked well and included percocet every 4 hours, a whole tablet (5-325) at midnight and 4:00am, and half a tablet all the other doses. We were going along just fine, minimal pain at night AND during the day, until.....last night I opened a "new" bottle, an unused bottle prescribed to me late last summer for pre-surgery pain. Different brand, but same brand as I'd used for the first hip (and of which I still have 18 tablets LOLOL 4 years old!) So, midnight and 4am doses, taken with a few tablespoons of whole-milk yogurt, from the new brand. They seemed to work as expected. 8am 1/2 new brand tablet dose with full breakfast. And then it seemed that the 4am dose finally kicked in about 9:00am. Man! I started (and continued throughout the day) to get higher and higher with that percocet high, which is only fun for a few days and then: :tantrum: please please make it go away!
My mouth became tingly and numb, especially the lips, then tongue also. Later in the morning, my fingers and feet began to tingle. I took 1/4 pill, old brand, at noon, but the effects kept on ramping up! At 4:00pm I took only tylenol, and the spots of nagging groin pain that I'm treating for came back. Effects slowly fading as 8:00pm passes here. Lips and tongue prickling.

I've checked the bottle of tylenol 325s in case I somehow loaded all the "new" percocets into the tylenol bottle. They are both white tablets, same size, different numbers. I double checked on the infallible internet these numbers. All pills are in their correct bottles. What on earth was it?? I am pretty leery of taking any percocet at all now!

So the numbness and tingling is familiar to me-- I get that along with facial itching every time I take the stuff. But this was really exaggerated, and it really seemed that the 4am and possibly the midnight dose had not activated until I got a belly full of food! That is not really possible... except that I've once or twice noticed the same effect with ibuprofen if taken without food.

A real puzzle!

Otherwise it was a lovely, if hot and humid, day. My brother had a layover here all afternoon, so we ate and chatted our way along, and then my lovely sis-in-law came along and picked up some things for me at the grocery store. Then we had a party! More cookies! We worked on altering a dress for one of her grandkids to wear to that one's sister's betrothal ceremony (I'm sure my brother loved that part) and we talked about the solar eclipse, which said sis-i-l is going to get to see in Tennessee on the way home from the betrothal, and which my brother wants to pull his 7th grade daughter from school to go see near their home in Georgia, but Mom is having none of that, the spoilsport! I will have to work on her.

Happy evening to all, and to all a good night!:mooncat:
 
Hugs you @zauberflöte I'd tag and ask Josphine ...that reaction to the meds makes ME think you've developed an allergy to it but ???? Or call doc... Though the taking of old meds might tick him/her off.

I am so sorry on Mom sends extra hugs
 
Thank you my friend! @MyAussieGirl I know that officially old meds are to be treated with disdain, but a former PCP told me about 4 years ago that pills and possibly other meds last far longer than we'd thought. And I just read a news article about a recent small study that showed exactly that! So these "new" ones I took are not expired yet-- I didn't go all the way back 4 years... I go see OS PA Friday-- but you're right, it could be an allergy. We shall see how I get along with only tylenol tonight....and ice, loads of cold cold ice!

ETA: I looked up allergy to percocet, and it appears to be typical allergic symptoms such as swelling, chest tightening, hives, etc. I do have the itching, but that is said to be a very common side effect. So...maybe I've crossed some line and shouldn't have it any more. Eek!
 
Maybe they can give you as good as Percoset but not an opiod....Many rare reactions can happen. ??? Sweetie I'd ask the doc when you see him or call tomorrow ... promise me !!!!
 
Maybe they can give you as good as Percoset but not an opiod....Many rare reactions can happen. ??? Sweetie I'd ask the doc when you see him or call tomorrow ... promise me !!!!

Yes, careful, Z, that this is not the beginnings of an anaphylactic reaction. As a peanut allergy person, I've had one: it can progress very quickly. No more til you discuss with your doc, please.


Sent from my iPad
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Thursday @zauberflöte
I definitely agree with you on live shopping for groceries. I don' t want anyone picking out my produce.
I tried the online grocery shopping / delivery once a few years back when I wasn't feeling well during winter. It took me forever!! Not a fan!
Same if I send my husband, prep for that takes just as long.....he'll say "Text me a list" I do and you'd think I was sending a 5 yr old. I type cauliflower, then add a pic of a head of cauliflower :heehee: If I don't I'll get a call.....Where is this in the store? What is that? And you know....men they don't dare ask anyone a question just like they can't ask for directions while lost in the car. Gotta love em!

Enjoy your day, hope it's pain free!
 
@MyAussieGirl and @KiKi60 yes to both of you-- I don't want to have a reason to use my Epi-Pen!!!!!! I made it through the night on tylenol alone, not too badly either. So it's been 24+ hours since my last dose of percocet, and the lips still come and go with the numbness. Ya know, I wonder if any of this can be connected to the fact that I started my allergy injections back up Tuesday afternoon???? Hmmmm....I had complete approval of my allergist, and we agreed that due to my possible systemic reaction to the first one after last hip, I'd go back to my starting buildup dose in this maintenance bottle. So that seemed good, but nevertheless, systems were alerted....I did NOT have complete approval of my OS, who'd told me well before the hip that (contrary to last hip's protocol) he wanted me to stop two weeks before op and resume two weeks after, for concerns regarding possible infection. Well that was a disaster in the making for my asthma, and I told them so, and stuck to the schedule he's laid out for the first hip. I have never had an infected allergy shot ever!! Sheesh. The cat is a more ever-present danger than a sterile needle!!!

Anyway, it seems that the arthritis-strength tylenol plus the meloxicam OS prescribed for two weeks is ok. Not perfect, but not at all awful. Just the nag in my groin, and the knee tenderness, and ice is very good for those, and I slept well although on the "alarm goes off at 4am" schedule. That will take weeks to break, when it was only a few days in the making!:groan: So when I see his PA tomorrow, I'll have to ask for either another week of meloxicam to go with the extra week of clot-busting aspirin, or to stop the aspirin so I can take advil, which I like best for NSAID quality on me.

@Layla oh yeah I hear you on the "send the hubby shopping" thing. He doesn't shop much, and I'm never there. Last Saturday we went together, each with a cart (me the close stuff and produce and him the heavy and far stuff, how difficult can "one gal 1% milk" be, right?) and I kept running into him looking like a deer in the headlights. But this particular order-online experience went very well. I asked for larger green bananas, I got 'em. I ordered the only (and so wrong) brand of oatmeal that would come up in my search, then wrote a long note saying what I really wanted, and I got it! Somehow a pint of ice cream morphed into a little dixiecup size, but I think that was my inattention....the other pint did too....but there's only one now and I ain't tellin' who et it!

Today is to be a quiet day of rest after all the partying yesterday, (and the laundry which got done before the party commenced LOL.) May everyone have the best day today!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You're a hoot! @zauberflöte
You may become my daily entertainment.
I think I need to read your thread......

You mentioned the Cape somewhere.....I love the Cape!
For several years hubby and I vacationed there. We'd fly into Boston travel to an old rinky dink little harbor town we fell in love with one year. We happened upon it by accident. Boothbay Harbor, Maine. The first time we went we were there Labor Day weekend. A group of very old men were playing instruments (barely) on the lawn of the town library. We stood watching and laughing.....probably some cocktails involved as we were on vaycay. We made it an annual for a time. After staying there a couple days we would travel down to the Cape. Always stayed in Chatham while there. Loved that little town also. Completlty different lifestyle than the sometimes boring Upper Mid-West.

Have a great evening!
 
@MyAussieGirl Yes Sir, ma'am!!!!! It's so lovely to be surrounded by fellow hippies who care, and you give me warm fuzzies, sweetie!! More on the "condition" later in post.

@Layla you should probably read the first several days of my right hip thread (it's down there in my signature). I had some inspired moments. Percocet will do that to you! My husband's family has a house in Woods Hole, and his generation are the 4th or 5th to own it. So many relatives there in August it's not funny, and we all know how we are related to each other one. Introducing a new-to-the-family person to the concept of "yes I am related to all these people, let me tell you how" can get funny....

So! Went for 2-week followup today. Another of my lovely sisters-in-law drove me-- about 1 1/2 hours except we didn't factor in the huge major construction going on on I-64....She made it with 2 minutes to spare! Report from OS's PA followeth:

"you are moving really well" yaayy!
"Xrays look really good!" yaayyy!
"Your incision looks perfect!" yayyy!
No more stockings (yayyyyy!)
No more taping saran wrap over the incision for showering (yayyy!)
"That's just WEIRD [she said that about 4 times], and meloxicam is probably not your friend, and probably stay off the percocet for a while too [lucky I am not really feeling the lack of it!] and if this persists, yep, go see your allergist or PCP."
So, MAG, I am going to give it a few days to see if it fades. I took the last dose of meloxicam this morning, and it has got quite the half-life-- almost 18 hours-- so I'll wait a few days. If I see no improvement by Monday morning, I'll pick up the phone.

NONONO hot tub or ocean until the incision is completely healed, that's not "maybe it's healed" or "do you think it's healed yet", that's "completely". Ok. Who knew the ocean has more bacteria in it than a hot tub! I always thought of the salt water as having healing properties...certainly cures poison ivy.

She applauded me NOT doing PT!!!!! She said, and I pretty much quote @Josephine here, because it's how PA said it, "you don't need PT, walking is the best thing for your hip!" Jo, I think these American OS people have been sneaking around here, don't you? :wink:

I totally forgot to ask her about driving, but she may have assumed I drove myself there, being off narcotics and all. I will drive tomorrow!

Here's a weird one too: I gained 7 1/2 lbs during the surgery (apparently common, they pump you full of fluids), lost it and then TWO MORE!!! That's kinda nice, but totally unlike me. So we had nice home-made ice cream on the way home. S-i-l had mango sorbet with (gak...) hot fudge and walnuts, and I had sweet cream and caramel ice creams. Yummy!

Ok, Jeeves, call the carriage please, I am going to pay some visits around here! All the best to everybody!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great follow up visit! @zauberflöte
I was told at my post op visit no hot tubs, bathtubs, pools or lakes for 3 months post surgery.
Neither oceans or seas were mentioned.....most likely because there aren't any nearby.
They must assume when they forbid the aforementioned I won't think I can go floating
in the Mediterranean. Nice thought though, never have........
Continued healing to you and wishes for a great weekend!
 
Yeah, @Layla , actually "ocean" was a subset of "Don't Immerse It", especially hot tub or ocean. It is definitely beach weather and season here, and that OS's office is only half an hour from Virginia Beach, and I also might be assumed to be an Outer Banks vacationer (yuk, not me, who wants ocean water that's like swimming in a vat of pee!???! and to need AC 24/7? I can do that at home!) so yeah, geography certainly plays a part. How about the Carribbean? I will allow that to be tepid, but only if it's cold at home:giggle:
 
Love Outer Banks too!
My sister married there about 17-18 yrs ago in Corolla in a charming, quaint little white church.
Spent time there over that weekend but haven't been there since. Being by the ocean is always a treat to most mid westerner's, this one anyway.
 
@zauberflote - only a guess, but since your Percocet were different brands - generic, right? - they were from different manufacturers. Each will has an equivalent dosage of the 'active ingredient', but the other stuff in the tablet can be quite different, affecting release and absorption rates. It's not uncommon for people to find that they do well on a medication that comes from generic pharmaceutical company A, but poorly on the same medication coming from company B. Tingly lips and tongue? No fun!

Keep in mind that I'm just speculating - it's probably something else entirely. A chat with a knowledgeable pharmacist who can review your medication records would be best. That's why they go to school for so long!

BTW, like you and @cpollock, I also found that a substantial pillow, a bit higher and firmer than anything I'd want to put under my head, made all the difference for comfort post-op. I used a king size pillow, rather than the longer body pillow, which was easier to shift into position when I had to get off my side and go to my back. Mine are latex and really wonderful, as is our latex mattress.

Your earlier comment about 4 ice packs not being enough made me laugh - I had 7 and rotated them through the freezer constantly for the first two months after surgery. Should have numbered them, to keep track of which one is been in the freezer longest!

As for the eclipse, I just received a pack of eclipse glasses (25 for 11 bucks) from Amazon. Even here in Southern California we will see about 65% coverage. I'm planning to invite everyone from my office out into the parking lot on the morning of the 21st to watch. Must remember to put the lawn chairs in the back of the car...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom