THR Zauberflote #2 on other side!!

@zauberflöte I borrowed magic from your user name. One thing is for sure, a flute could never double as a crutch. My PA at the surgeons office told me I was lucky, that most people say the second one was worse than the first. Maybe my memory made the first one out to be worse than it was. I just remember it was not pleasant, at all, for a very long time.
I hope the less time to progress trend continues for you.
 
My goodness @zauberflöte I really don't think you should be moving furniture and stuff, way too much. You don't want to have a set back. I agree with you on cats, I have 2 that smother me with attention.
And thanks for sharing the information on using ice packs, very useful. Have a good rest of your day. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
@zauberflöte ..glad you are progressing nicely Chris! Ugh.. the bed saga. A new bed can take donkey's years to adjust to (or not).

If a new bed is still causing discomfort after 30 days, then it is a sign that you either need another bed, or have to make adjustments to the new one. It sounds as though you are doing this already..but beware, it really can take time to break in a new bed, especially after a major surgery.

I finally parted ways last year with my 10 year old Sleep Number bed which was sagging in the middle. After months of deliberation, I opted for the Leesa mattress (how cool is a mattress in a box?). After a few weeks of sleeping on the Leesa mattress, I had determined that it was a tad too firm for this side sleeper. I usually sleep like the dead and found myself tossing and turing on the new Leesa. That said, I was too lazy to return it and the overall fit was perfect!

Presto magic....a 3 inch memory foam topper from Overstock.com arrived and it was like I was in sleep heaven!!!! Have never looked back! So grateful to have this bed for my recovery. You will find the right bed fit/ comfort level, but it may take time and it may be more difficult during the initial recovery period.
 
@dougie0216 I figured either my name or the title of my first hip recovery thread LOL. No, this one is definitely easier. I wonder if the fact that OS spent 33% less time in there meant that it was less wrecked than the first? Also probably less blood loss (odd, that's ONE thing I remember from post-op-- somebody told me how much blood I'd lost! Eeeww I just did the conversion-- 1 1/4 cups lost!). Anyway, judging from my detailed journal of the right hip, I am more energetic, less in pain=fewer meds, smarter, and I just drove an errand run with perfect satisfaction at 2 6/7 weeks that I wasn't about to do until at least 6 weeks, with trepidation and near passing-out on hip #1. Therefore, I am ahead. I am also overdo-it kid. Resting for the rest of the evening, except for a nice stroll in the cool of the dark later before bed. Flute not a crutch maybe but you'd be amazed at the other things we think of for it!

@cpollock I hear you Cheryl, but it had to be done, and there was nobody else to do it. When mama's got to sleep and nobody else is nearby, mama moves a little furniture. Quietly! It was the staying up late that got me that day LOL.

@Lerwick8 wow, what a mattress buyer you are-- all knowledgeable and all! I love your solution to your bed- I think that kind of thing is becoming more and more common. Memory foam is fabulous stuff!

All I need is, no pressure points to hurt. That's pretty darn squishy, and most storebought beds aren't going to be that. This is a foam mattress, made in USA, bought on Amazon, shipped to me all crunched up into a little box, cut the vacuum seal and watch it grow! Unfortunately it over grew so the largest linens I'd found are barely big enough, so there's no room to add the memory foam topper I'd also bought. Hence musical beds. Until I figure out the best way to evenly shave 6" off the top of a twin XL mattress, we may be stuck with it, one or the other of us. Hubby hasn't seemed to mind yet. He's not picky....
 
The undies with the high high cut sides that go up pretty high stay out of my incisions way.
Don't usually get those but work good.
 
I love those but have only 5 pair left over from nearly 20 years ago, Title 9 Sports. They don't make them that way now. Where do you find yours? I bought some new Haynes hi-cut hipsters a year ago, and they are nothing like the old ones I had. Well, what goes round will come round again and I'l be the old granny in the cheeky undies...
 
Well..there are always Hanky Panky brand bikini/thongs (quite comfortable even for this older lady!) .. That said,, I went to Old Navy and stocked up on men's boxer shorts for the recovery. Time will tell:eyebrows:

Hopefully these will
 
@zauberflöte ... I cannot believe how well you are doing ... and how much you are doing! I understand having to do what ya gotta do when there's no one around to help, but just try to weigh the price you might have to pay tomorrow by overdoing. I know you know what I mean. I am thrilled the second time at the rodeo has been easier than the first!
 
Yes...ditto and by the way...I forgot. Stop moving heavy stuff around and then distracting me with talk about your undergarments.
No, no. We are letting our bone grow back remember?:bignono:
 
@Lerwick8 boxers were a big topic of discussion during my first hip! People were talking of satin ones, and then there was the speculation about satin sheets, and that deteriorated fast too! :heehee: Boxers for me give me the creepies. Just doesn't feel right...and nope, not gonna go thongs, just....not.

@Peaches @Mojo333 yes ma'ams....today is a day of rest! No getting in and out of cars. No furniture (actually didn't get paybacks from that; it's the getting in and out of the car yesterday, and the one-footed stairs for three weeks (even with some cheating because I just couldn't torture my right side S-I joint any more, nor will I put a commode out in the middle of the living room for my adult son to watch me on), that have bit my behind. I seem to have a little bursitis-y stuff in the good hip, mostly pain on lying in bed :blackcloud:, and I could tell the first day home that using exclusively the right side to climb stairs was not going to, er, sit well with that side of my bod. And the new hip is stiffer this morning, so we rest and play.

Happy Day everybody!:SUNsmile::flwrysmile:
 
WTH @zauberflöte I get back from Zombie land and read about women wearing boxer undies and MOVING FURNITURE post OP :scare:

Let it be known I was well pleased with my posterior cut and my hi cut undies I have worn forever...well not worn I change them daily sometimes twice as when I go swimming after I put fresher on. Summer breeze fresh I am.

Did your doctor tell you not to lay on your operated side??? Mine said it was okay after 12 Weeks and it was.
 
hey @MyAussieGirl I don't hear from my OS about which side to lie on-- but I know it's a long ways off. It hurts just to think about! I am only starting my 4th week, so it will be a few months yet, and I have discovered just how much I rely on that side in bed at night!

@Hip Hip Hooray! actually I haven't bothered to go look at the other thread-- there was alot of shenanigans going on on it, and I would get sucked in LOL. I kept a paper diary/journal, as I am doing for this one. Sometimes it comes in handy if somebody on here asks a specific question and I know that I have the answer somewhere!
 
Comments at the end of Week Three.

You can put lotion on the whole lower half of your op leg with your good foot. Bonus, your good foot gets very soft.
If your pockets are just right, you can hold an ice pack in one over your anterior incision and it's wonderful (if awkward when going out...)
The very best overnight ice pack is one that came in a chilled medication mailer. Freezes fast, melts slowly. Good for 4 hours of cold.
Wrap the above in a large lightweight teatowel. Wrap from a corner, so you have long tails extending from either end of the cold pack. If you have anterior, you then tuck the tails into your undies so the cold holds its position. Who knew?
Ladies' undies these days are not cut to accommodate an anterior incision. Need thong. No Thank You!
Cats will fix anything. Apply liberally to lap. Listen carefully as purr ramps up. Note improvement in mood!
It is possible to procrastinate from doing any work by hanging around on here :snork:

Love. Love. LOVE this!

One tip- I wore men's BOXERS post-op for several weeks. Ewww.. describes how I feel about thongs. And going commando isn't my thing. The boxers were perfect. Now I like to wear with a t-shirt as jammies!

I used a king pillowcase for my gel pacs... same idea as the tea towel- wrapped across and tucked under my opposite side to hold pac in place. I had lateral/posterior and this was a godsend.

Agree 100% about procrastination while catching up on threads here... but another eww... I am not a pet person. :bignono:

Have a wonderful weekend @zauberflöte
 
@313Lola your king pillowcase idea works for I'd guess all approaches, whereas mine only works for anterior-- so you get the blue ribbon for ingenuity!!!:flwrysmile:sorry no blue ribbons in our lil peeps...

I don't care for boxers, myself. Just a sensory thing I guess, but when I was on for my first hip, they were very popular with the posterior folks.

So sorry you don't get to be a pet person, so I will say sunshine is good :SUNsmile: and that just reminds me! After my hysterectomy so long ago, a nurse brought in a reading lamp and set it up to shine on the incision. It felt soooo good, and when I got home I'd sit out on the deck exposing my belly to the sun. Making sure no neighbors were home of course! Unfortunately I can't do that in this yard, I'd be exposing myself to half the neighborhood, whose back yards run up along the side of my back yard LOL.
 
Hey @zauberflöte How are you today?

I think the crass description of thongs being referred to as b_ _ _ floss is accurate and fitting. Yes.... I went there! Certainly they weren't conceived by a woman.......Enough said.

I wore the high cut panties also as it made it easy to have my wound tended to (posterior) and still maintain a measure of modesty. Oversized t shirts too, was kind of my uniform for two weeks, except for when visitors stopped by.....they're my fave for sleeping anyway.

Now that I've weighed in......wishing you a fab weekend!!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom