Guest viewing is limited

THR Zauberflote #2 on other side!!

Hi @zauberflöte (what a beautiful name!),
Congratulations to your second hip and happy days at home - and no more problems with ACs, nor with sickness or vomiting! If it's hot, you can enjoy lots of icecream of course - well I do.

I remember you from 2014/2015 when I first registered in Bonesmart and followed up your first recovery thread among many others. You all gave me encouragement and strength which I very badly needed for my hip replacement, but my fears and pre-op blues were unjustified. I'm now stronger than even years before my op.

Best wishes - Constanze
 
@zauberflöte i can see your doing very well! I liked hospital very much. Why is it i was so desperate to get out?? The lovely Oxycodone every 4 hours through the night... but i had to be shaken and ripped from some other dimension every round. And i think it annoyed the nurses that i slept so well, whilst they had to be awake! he he I think all that sleep and positive outlook has helped me greatly. As it will you I'm sure))
 
Hey everybody, and sorry not to have posted At All Anywhere for the last couple of days! Every time I approach a screen, I fall asleep, and I'm not kidding! I have just looked up whether meloxicam causes drowsiness, and some sources say that it can. Maybe that's it. In any case, I've been too busy sleeping to do much else except eat and walk. Much of my walking has been combined with another activity such as fetching food. Yesterday hubby and I really wanted to get out to church. Missing our own service early in the morning, we cleverly decided to visit a church where I play sometimes, which has a Sunday afternoon schedule of Evensong, community meal, and Compline. So we got a delicious vegetarian home-cooked meal with ingredients from the farmer's market, and then half an hour of a capella early polyphony, nothing but music, a wonderful way to close the day.

Not a lot of pain except on start-up. This is different from last time, and I'm enjoying it. Much more energy than last time, and I'm REALLY enjoying that!

Had my first outing to the bathtub last night. It went well. Hubby sanitized shower "bench" as I'd not had time to do that, and I dragged out the bathmat which I'd bought when we'd moved to this house a year after my first hip. Must not get dressing wet, and I really have to wash my hair. Kitchen sink totally unsuitable for waist-length hair, ever how thin it may be! Working on that one. It sure felt good to take off the squeezy stockings and discover my toes still exist. And then to scrub them! Last hip I'd bought
[Bonesmart.org] Zauberflote #2 on other side!!
this thing, and loved it. Still do, and glad I kept track of it!

Sitting out here on the sun porch, ceiling fan on high, small but high-speed floor fan, a clever arrangement of the table with market umbrella out on the deck, shading me for now, very very pleasant, and sleeeeeeeepy as all getout!
@Constanze so good to hear from you again! I'm happy you're doing well :wave:

If I can stay awake sometime this afternoon, I'll go visiting. Meanwhile, time for meds and a bite to eat now.
 
Hey sweetie thanks for posting on my page I loled and will comment over there when I can

I love your foot brush I want one.... gimme :happydance:.

I sat on my deck with the dog today I can't wait to get hip number 2 done (did I just say number 2 giggling) mega pain on that I am icing it now. Keep up the great work.

Hugs
 
Thanks for the update, you sound great @zauberflote the major surgery alone probably adds to sleepiness along with your meds, double whammy. And rest and sleep is just what your body needs now to heal. The energy drain is real and will get better in time. Patience and lots of it. Are you using a wheeled Walker? As this is your 2nd hip you are well aware of the process. I too love your foot brush, never knew something like that existed. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
So glad you are doing so well, @zauberflöte ... and interesting and heartening that it's better in some ways than your first time at the rodeo. I'm impressed you got out and about already, going to church, etc.
I think I remember those shower shoes! I'm tempted to try them next time around, or maybe sooner.
Hope your progress continues to so well!
 
@cpollock hey there and thanks for visiting! Once again, I've neglected my neighborly duties here.... I do have a wheeled walker, OS insists you have that and a cane to leave hospital with. I discovered very early on that the house I live in, a late 70's split level, was the reason "handicap accessible" is now such a thing. This house, unlike the ranch houses I'd lived in for 30 years, is not the least bit conducive to walker use. Walk two steps, maneuver walker around a corner. Three more steps, another corner and 6 stairs. Call for help with walker! Aha! A straight shot of 8 steps at top of stairs, around a corner, and two steps to bed. Park walker. Repeat backwards, just to get to the kitchen! And bathroom? Forget it! The walker is loaded wit: my purse on one side, a laden tot bag on the other, and a full apron with huge pockets strung across the back. It is recovery central, to go to the porch nest, the couch nest, or the bedroom, but for walking it ain't :snork: So I graduated to the cane. Same problem, only with hurting right hand. So there I was, one day post-op (I think), walking with no aids with perfect confidence. I am so VERY fortunate this hip, that something is different inside, so that I am way more stable on that leg-- total weight-bearing, standing on leg like a stork, no pain or uncertainty from day one. Nothing at all like the other hip, which was not happy to bear my entire weight for more than one step at a time for a few weeks! I do not understand how this can be, but I give thanks nonetheless! And yeah, that foot brush thing sprang from a suggestion from Josephine, I think, and I found it right there on Amazon. Sucked me into getting Prime, too, and so now of course I can't give that up, can I? It feels so good on my feet that if it weren't such a pain to keep really clean, I'd use it all the time for the massage!

@Peaches I have thought of you a lot this week. You and the subway steps....I have only 6 to do on a regular basis, 10-15 times a day, but toddler-fashion they are TOUGH! My hat was off to you then, girl, and it remains off to this day:wow:

Actually, I'm impressed at what all I was doing a week ago. It was, I'm sure, some drug-induced euphoria. I was sleeping well, night and day. That's gone away as I need fewer drugs. Yep, I cannot believe it but the pain is receding so fast that all I need now is the meloxicam (they make you take that for 2 weeks, and I don't like it grrr) and tylenol arthritis strength. With these two non-negotiables: Ice all the time, and.....don't lie down in bed for more than one hour..:tantrum2: so..... I've been messing with drugs. I don't like the perocet anyway, and since I last took it I seem to have developed some cardiac ill-effects when taking narcotics. Ugh. So last night I threw caution to the wind and tried nothing but the arthritis dose of tylenol plus some tramadol I'd been given beforehand. I cut the 50mg tab in half to lessen the cardiac effects. Well. That did not work. I woke up after less than 2 hours with both hip and same side knee killing me. I spent an hour massaging, walking quietly (shhh, don't wake the kitties out there!), massaging, waiting for it to be time to take another dose of tramadol.... staring off into space and doing little movements of the foot and ankle...massaging the knee some more....no fun. When I went for sleep again, I tried side-sleeping, which I'd thrown out a week ago due to way too much pain on waking. It worked better, but still, there it was morning and I'd only gotten 3-4 hours sleep. This has been the pattern for several nights now. What I do is get up, feed cats, feed me, and take a long nap on the couch with the proper elevating cushion. That worked this morning wonderfully, restoring me to mental well-being. So, tonight I think I bring the elevating cushion to the bedroom, and give that a try. Also, probably futz with meds again to include, sigh, percocet.:blackcloud:I have gone all day today with that tylenol/ice/lots of movement formula, and only pain on start-up, which is worth it to me. I feel like I'm where I was at 3 weeks out last hip, and here I am just 9 days. Marvelous! Maybe it was a much easier and less traumatic surgery-- he did have me out in less than an hour, and my last one went over an hour. I won't see him again for a year-- all the intermediate followups are with the PA.

This too shall pass, and I shall be able to get up in the morning with a sunny disposition and no need for 2+ hour naps right after I get up!

Oops hubby home from office, poor guy, let's see what there is for supper. How about a nice deli turkey-and-cheese sandwich. Easy to fix!
 
Oh honey me and you sound so alike with the sleep issues meds ugh....You may want to sleep on the sofa if you find you sleep best there. Not forever but maybe a few days or every other day. My first hip...this one @zauberflöte the first 10 weeks a breeze sleep and pain wise. I hope to say the same on next one . Hugs
 
Glad to hear you made it through your second surgery, @zauberflöte. You sound like you're doing really well. I had to go back on the Percoset, too. As you know, for many of us the pain is worse at night. Glad to hear that you have help at home. That's too bad that the meds affect your heart. Hopefully with time all of that will ease...
 
Thanks ladies! @MyAussieGirl I didn't have alot of success with the elevation wedge last night, so I'm going to try a fatter pillow and lying on my good side. And be willing to cave and sleep on the couch if I have to. It's the whole thing about the cats, though. The house they grew up in, where I had my first hip, we locked them up and had the whole three-bedrooms/two-baths hallway to ourselves. If I went into their territory and they started begging to be fed at 2 AM, it wouldn't disturb anybody. In this house, we lock *us* into the bedroom/bathroom suite, and the minute that bedroom door is opened, the clamoring hordes come running from wherever they are. It's only two cats, you'd think it was 50 though! So I have to get over that, and probably feed them a little....

@Hip Hip Hooray! Yep-- here I am drugged up again, but all in a good cause, right?

BAD NEWS! My freezer isn't freezing fast enough!!! I have four ice packs, I only use one at a time, you'd think that it could keep up with that, and in fact it was last week, so what's wrong now?!? I notched it one more number towards "coldest", over 24 hours ago, and still nothing. Arrgh! So....off to 7-Eleven for a bag of ice.

And these blessed compression knee-highs. I kept the pair from my last hip, which were only ever mildly uncomfortable. The pair I was sent home with this time were VERY painful. I had a huge left leg, and it seemed like it was getting bigger every night. I looked on the internet (all the right answers, right?)....internet quoth, pain is probably not good. Rolling up at the knee, apparently not good. So I left them off one night last week. Bad me, but oh the relief! The swelling went down a little, and I had no pain caused by stockings. So I switched over to the old pair, and I wash them every night-- have to let them dry overnight, so, I guess I can't wear them overnight. Swelling in left leg is nearly gone, and no painful loss of circulation. Whew. Perhaps when I go in for my followup this Friday, I'll be allowed to take them off permanently! A girl can hope....

Ha. This sat on my computer unposted overnight. Freezer is now full of bagged ice, so it's working a little better. I also discovered a little ice pack that was mailed with a package of refrigerated cat medication-- this thing stays cold for six hours at night! I wrap it up in a thin dishtowel, which absorbs the condensate, and keeps me dry, and it keeps me chilled in the hip (and knee...) most of the night!

Off to visit on here, I hope! :SUNsmile:
 
I hear you on the cats, we have 3. 2 are clingy with me and the other 1 is clingy with my husband. If I get up in the night they are in the room but don't usually bother me. Most of the time anyway, they curl up and sleep. The 1 used to sleep on my hip but she gets it that won't be happening for a long time yet.
I use a long king-size pillow I got at Walmart for side sleeping. It's a serta firm pillow and works great. It was only 12 bucks too. It's long enough to fit between my legs right down to the ankles. I have a body pillow behind me and another regular pillow in front of me to lay my arm on. I tend to go on my back too off and on but it's easy to roll back onto my side. I do have a small bed rail though too to hold onto to help roll back onto my side. It's whatever works for you for comfort and ease. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Hey Cheryl! Yeah, I had a pillow, big long hypoallergenic (for the asthmatic in my bed... me!) one that I've kept very careful track of since the other hip. Well, it has disappeared, and there was so much other garbage going on that I never reordered it. Last night I took a new throw pillow form, cut it open, and stuffed the stuffing into a pillow allergy cover. It was comfortable for a while last night, going to sleep, but I woke up 1 1/2 hours later itching all over, with a brand new bite of some kind or maybe itchy rash, on one of my legs. I nearly flung the thing out the window! I'm scared to go look at it now...:bolt:
 
Oh my, thats awful. I'd be afraid to look at it too. Something you had a reaction to or worse. For me it will be a while even with the pillow before I will make it a whole night on my side. I need to lose some weight and also heal more. But I make it a couple hours then onto my back then the side. But I'm getting sleep so whatever works. You may have to send someone to find you a pillow. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Hey Cheryl-- oh yes, I send Amazon to get me a new pillow:wink:.... I have no idea what it was, but I'm afraid to take it back into the bed. No whole-body rash, the two tiny "bites" haven't itched today (you watch, the moment I post this...) but still....
Sleep all night? Do people DO that???? I have never slept through the night unless it was a 5-hour night! And I remember both of those. My record, with my little 5mg diazepam, is five hours. After that, two short segments of whatever. I used to get up twice to pee, as a young woman. Then I had some big surgery for endometriosis (back when being a pain hero was the done thing, o u c h!) and it somehow reset my clock. And then there were kids...who, despite being adopted, managed to thoroughly mess up my sleep ability. But post-op, (and way older me), we'll get up two or three times. I count a good recovery night right now as one that it takes me less than an hour to fall back asleep. That's one of the reasons I hate taking percocet-- they talk about narcotics addiction, and I will not downplay the issue at all, but I am physically dependent on sleep, and if it's valium that gets me sleep, I'll take that! But you don't take them both at the same time if you're me and have asthma. Both drugs depress the breathing, and I really really don't want that effect doubled!

Ok, I have to tell you, as I write this, I've started to itch, a little here, a little there....I wonder, can we get an itchy emoji??? :spider::spider:that's the best I can find, eentsy weentsy spiders! These are cute!:spider::spider::spider::rofsign:
 
@zauberflöte I am glad you went back to pain pills. I think you did need them. I had to LMAO at the cats. Don't try to lick them out. We did that the night before surgery so I could sleep. Hubby slept in the guest room so my cat could still have bed company. Guess who kept me up ALL night scratching and crying at my door and no not the dog he sleeps in yet another room.

Surgical socks.... I wore mine lots but didn't wash them nightly...every few I did and we put them in the dryer.

Sleep uh I never slept ALL night either pre surgery years of sleep issues .. It rattles my brain down the drain. Huge hugs
 
Hi @zauberflöte
I love that foot scrubber you posted a photo of. I believe I saw it on Amazon. Mind if I ask what type of surface you stick it too? Is it a bath tub? I have small tiles in my shower and I'm wondering how those suction cups will hold up. I don't want to be washing a foot, it loosens and I'm on the floor in the splits! Ouch, cringe worthy isn't it?!! I really want to try that though as doing a good foot washing in the shower is a challenge. One I don't measure up to well......I'd appreciate your input.

A great day to you!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom