THR Zauberflote #2 on other side!!

Haha @Gone again and @Mojo333
And Mojo yours is twice as bad with two!

Since I don't have any photos of my new hardware, I selectively gross people out (myself included)
with my fresh incision photo. With all it's dried blood, stitches and purple pen markings under wrinkly
tape my sister backed away and shrieked that it reminded her of the top of a scored Easter Ham!!
That's been the most unusual response I've received.
 
@Lerwick8 Hi everybody! I am just sticking your tags in random spots throughout this post so as not to make a chain...
I think it's getting very close to "live a nearly normal life"! I completely wore myself out physically @dougie0216 three days in a row, and then @Mojo333 the next day was the service, which was physically and emotionally draining. Travel is tiring! I had an extra-leg room seat, and didn't sit very still, all while wearing my compression knee-highs. Same for return trip, only I did sit still more as it was past my bedtime... I am not too concerned about a clot...I'm very active these days!
@Gone again
It was a lovely service, everybody liked the music, @Layla and I survived. Major problem with getting cold ice. The freezers, both of them, were giving me tepid ice packs, @MyAussieGirl so we bought an extra bag of ice when we shopped for reception-food ice. That was better. Re ice, I had a funny TSA moment, when we set off. I'd ridden to the airport with a sandwich bag of ice cubes in my pocket, and forgot to take it out, so I tossed it in a bowl as the agent watched. My pocket area was soaked, quite awkwardly, but he'd seen the ice go in the little water bowl that goes through xray. I couldn't make it through the regular metal detector on three tries, so they sent me through the scanner. It alarmed: my upper chest, where a large pendant would fall (what on earth??!), and....the left hip lateral area. So we get pat pat, and go on our way. I was more worried about my flute! I wonder if it was the wet pocket that alarmed-- I had ZERO alarms in the scanner on the way back. In Richmond you can waltz through the metal detector without saying anything about metal implants. No such luck in Boston-- you get an automatic pass to the scanner if you answer "yes" to that question.
@GrannyC That is HILARIOUS!!!!!!! :rotfl: I think I will pass that one around, it is soooo fitting. You should see the fat cat now-- it's summer shed period in spades, and there's fluff floating through the air everywhere!

So, after the total-wiped-out-exhausting days, I had Saturday late afternoon and Sunday down, and it was lovely! Sunday I used no ice at all, and had no paybacks. I felt stronger, less "recovering" and more "normal", and I am SO proud of myself that the only ODIC stuff I did was completely unavoidable. I did NOT walk more than a few hundred feet in one go, not once! I avoided the 32 (not kidding) stairs in the house as much as possible, but when I had to I climbed them in the prescribed toddler method, UGH. Quite the glute and quad workout for the right leg.
@Mojo333 that's really good to know about your groin pain. I never really thought of it coming from compensation, but you have to be right on that! I've still had no change, but I seem to be ignoring it more haha. @Lerwick8 (and I know you're on this side now, I'll find you!) It's nothing like the "before" groin pain, which was motion activated, and restricted my ROM to zip. My hip relaxed (or something) during the past 5 days to the point where it turns out with great ease and no pain (so I guess the groin pain actually is getting less) to a degree that hasn't been possible for a couple of years. I want to preserve that ease of rotation! The right leg doesn't have it-- everything is all tight up at the top. I am very sure that I can get therapy for the right, but I don't want to get this tendonitis thing started with the left, so I hold back, hold back, hold back!

Energy-- I only took one nap while I was gone, despite running flat out every day. After the service was over, we still had the brother of my MIL who was not yet sensing closure, so we had a little tea party for him and his kids. I Could Not Stay Awake, and eventually just left and passed out on my bed. When I got up, two more people were still asleep :heehee: so it wasn't just me! And I wasn't tired, just overpoweringly sleepy. I have definitely gotten my energy back faster this time around.

Speaking of wrinkly tape, as Mojo was, mine is STILL welded to my skin. I despair of it ever falling off!! It has caused a little problem! The top end worked loose, I think I mentioned that several days ago, and I snipped it off delicately-- and on it was the little healthy scab from the top of the incision! So I put a bandaid over it and traveled. oops-- small and medium bandaids get pushed around bu the fabric of the pants, and the ice in the pocket. So it's open and very slightly oozing now GRRRRR. Now I am using a giant bandaid, with very sticky adhesive....which I seem to be having a reaction to! Man, when is this going to let me wear any underwear I like??!!! I called OS office today, to see if I'm supposed to put ointment on it or anything. I expect not. Maybe...I should go to bed commando and no bandaid (I did once while gone) for a while. Those giant bandaids are painful to pull off, though. They last 4-6 days.

I will try really hard to check up on everybody in the next few days-- I am sad to think that my time here is drawing to a close, and I don't want to get re-addicted! xoxoxoxoxo everybody!!!!!
 
@zauberflöte Been thinking about you. Glad you made it through that trip. Well done! Rest now.

If it were me I would leave any bandaid off that scar. You are far enough out to just let nature take its course.
 
Hi @zauberflöte
It's so nice to hear your voice again! Remember....you all have voices to me lol!

Sounds like your vacation was decent overall aside from the memorial, which I'm sure was understandably
sad.

What about some gauze taped over that little open spot on your incision? That's only if you preference is to have it covered.

It sounds as though you made some great strides in recovery while away. Good to hear! Energy level is up, less naps is always a good sign. It's good to have you back!

@Lerwick8 had her surgery yesterday. We're waiting to hear from her. @vcmike is tomorrow and @1hipwonder on Friday. Both are a little anxious but who wasn't, right?

Hope you have a great evening!
 
Zauberflote my friend. Time for the birdie to leave the nest. It has been an honor and a pleasure. You were a gracious spirit and a comfort to me. Best in your future endeavors. Fly...be free. The small one things have been big things and I will always reme:roseshwr:mber you fondly.
 
@zauberflöte How is that incision looking? I hope it's healing back up. That stupid tape pulled my skin off.
I wish you would let us know...
I have not been on as much as I would like to but my whole family wants to fall apart at the same time and I have been busy.
 
Good luck with the family stuff @Mojo333 Take care of you're self in all of this,
family can suck the energy right out of us due to the emotions involved in close relationships.
I know you realize this, but sometimes we need to take a step back.
A great end of the week to you!
 
@Mojo333 we could probably trade families and not notice it, falling apart all t once. I'm so sorry, and I am right in there with you!

@Jaycey I talked with the nurses at OS, who told me I probably should go bandaid shopping. I do wish I could leave it open-- it's a little circular wound about 1/4" across, right at the top of the incision, and would ooze at the slightest provocation. I'd have to buy all new loose boy-style or granny-style undies :scary:and wear a skirt and no ice for the time it took to heal. I took the three-day-old bandaid off last night, losing some skin cells in the process, and it looked better than it had the previous time, so I doused it with hydrogen peroxide per nurse, and put a "24-hour-stick" bandaid on it instead of the "SUPER ADHESIVE" ones I'd been using.

In the process of taking off the super adhesive, the adhesive ripped off some of the surgical tape, which must have been ready to come anyway. I snipped off about one square inch this time, and can finally see the thin fine line that is my scar-to-be. The rest of the tape up and down the incision is still loving me a great deal. Looks nasty by now, just like @Layla 's Easter ham! @dougie0216 you are so very right about the elastic. This incision is in a slightly different place, and thus more in danger than the other one was. Also these particular undies are 4 years older (I heart Title 9 Sports!) so they may slide around more.

@MyAussieGirl never you fear, if I follow ONE person through September, it will be YOU!

It is really so hard to think about saying goodbye here. I love you all!!!!!! Last time, I knew I'd be back! This time I sincerely hope I will not be except on New Year's Eve party-time. I get sucked in, and lose a few hours that I can ill afford now that I'm re-entering real life head first. So, tapering is good if only I could do it! How can I answer only one tag? Post on only one thread? I'd never keep up! I have already spent 3 hours here just catching up, and now the rest of the day looming. Sigh....
See yall later, another day...take care all...:roseshwr::flwrysmile::friends:
 
@zauberflöte We will miss you. Deal on the heavy boxes, and thank you again for all the support you have given me and so many on this forum.
I like small kindnesses.
In fact, I actually prefer them to the more
Substantial kindness that is always eying you,
Like a large animal on a rug.
By Louise Glick
 
@MyAussieGirl and @Mojo333 I guess I am not a cold turkey type of person cos here I am! Just relaxing on this Sunday afternoon after a very tired day yesterday...and also @Irish Joe not to mention @gwenc
Wrote that yesterday, and got interrupted..
Just relaxing on this Monday Labor Day (US) morning, after two tired days in a row. I'm on the sun porch, thankfully in the shade right now, the cicadas are singing, the "ambient noise of traffic in the city" is very quiet because of the holiday, everything is green from the rain, and I finally slept well last night!

Middle-of-Week-7-report

The "can't get up in time to rehearse for church worship team syndrome" has been broken! We changed the time of the service to 10:00, so that extra half hour plus my extra week of recovery gave me the gitupandgo needed. I made someone promise to remind me NOT to charge up the "front" steps to what was the choir chancel, but to go "behind" to the steps with the railing-- I had not yet practised doing stairs with my naked flute.

I am getting braver with the home stairs though! I have been going down foot-over-foot for several weeks, and carrying laundry in a paper grocery bag if I had laundry. I've graduated to a basket, but dare not hold it in front of my as I usually do-- so I grip it by my side and hold the railing. There are times when I don't hold the railing when it's just me!! I still go up toddler-style, as there is still groin pain on flexing.

Speaking of groin pain! For weeks I'd had a nagging pain spot in the groin/upper thigh, which moved around slightly and never went away, always there. One day about 2 weeks ago, I was standing at the kitchen sink and felt my groin area "burp". Really, no other way to describe it! Like a tiny little champagne bubble burp, very small. Not a belch at all. At that instant that particular groin nag disappeared! Since then I've had only a handful of echoes of it, lasting only a few seconds. Here is my theory-- what I felt was some form of tearing, perhaps scar tissue releasing or something. I have no idea if that is right, but that pain is gone and I am thankful!!!

Last night before bedtime I walked a slightly longer route, which measured at 0.84 miles. I had no idea it would be that much farther than my usual 0.5! For the first half mile, my left hip was completely invisible, un-noticeable, working FINE! The tendonitis in the right hip was bothering me, but the new hip was perfecto! Then it got a little tired, but I was pretty near home by then. I learned last week to not go bounding out of the house at the pace I want to walk, as I'll have paybacks within a block or so. So I walk quite sedately, and as far as I can tell my gait is pretty normal. When I get really tired (as Saturday) I limp and list occasionally....favoring the RIGHT side! I am sooooo hoping I can keep the left hip free and clear of chronic pain!

Interesting note-- I looked again at my 2-week xray, and noticed a dramatic difference between the two cups' shapes. The right one is a simple dome, wide and uncomplicated shape. The new one is much more closed. I will have to ask at my next visit in a couple of weeks, what exactly does that mean for me. I do remember two conversations-- a conversation with OS when I first started down this left hip journey. I told him the hip itself was great but the collateral damage of chronic tendonitis was not so hot. He said "We'll see if we can fix that next time", and I assumed he meant with the next hip that we were contemplating. The second was with the PA, pre-op, in which she asked the OS for me about the chronic tendonitis, and his reply was, it may be "something" is irritating the tendon, and that would be "personal anatomy". Notice he C's his A re possible wrong placement of the cup, which I do believe could be a common occurrence in the industry... So maybe this new hip has a more closed shape to "match my personal anatomy". Oh I love to speculate! :snork:

So aside from hiccups like, pushing a 75-lb grocery basket wears me out, I am doing many quite normal life activities, only slightly modified for my recovery!

Greetings and smiles to all, and to those who have to labor today, which would be all of us in one way or another, a friendly salute!
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom