THR Zauberflote #2 on other side!!

@Lerwick8 that's a great thing that you do!

We fed about 25 guests more spaghetti than they could eat-- and then there was cheesecake for dessert! Every single guy had to be rolled out of there, and we weren't much better. One of them was 90 years old, but he was getting around better than some of us pre-hip!

I carried ice in my pants pocket all evening long, sat, walked, stood, and did very well at the time. Today, however, is a Day Of Rest! I have lots of bills to pay, so that should keep me chained to my computer for a while for sure.

You know, we are walking talking advertisements for what happens post op. So Many people can't believe that I'm walking around. Many of them are flabbergasted when they find out I was walking a few hours post op and It Didn't Hurt!!

Hi @Layla and @gwenc and all loons, I'm still laffin with ya! We'll travel Thursday, and I sure wish I could really cal it vacay, but it's a memorial service for my mother-in-law that just happens to be at the place where we all vacay!

I'm not really leery of my hip vs the airplane, I'm leery of not being able to rest before that flight! Hubby is well-known for doing all his packing at 3am, and I am not yet sleeping well enough to stay asleep through that... I keep wanting to go back to my regular dose of valium for sleeping, but I still have this little situational semi-incontinence thing going on. It's like a bladder spasm in spades I guess, and I'm afraid if I sleep past the three hour mark, I'll wet the bed :yikes: :dubious: (that one is called "dubious", but I really think it's called, "who, me???" as in, how the dog looks when you get home and it's eaten all the trash or the sofa @MyAussieGirl , or whatever...) I am gong to have to track some of this stuff down. I'm beginning to think all that numbness, of which I still have a little in my lips, stems from my cervical spine, which may have gotten crinked during intubation. (I think I said this before...) Also I'm pretty sure my feet have been numb-ish, and are getting less so. Would that be the boots they use on the Hana table? I had no problem last hip. However, this time round I was gifted with about 7,000 new spider veins around my ankles. To go with the half-million I already have, sigh. Genetics....

So, weather looking good for the trip, and I will vacay as much as I can!

Awesome on vacation but you have time. Many of us seem to love to feed others. Sadly so many need food even in our very blessed County. @zauberflöte I applaud you that's a lot on new hip.

I need a mid sized car I can't drive home 2 hrs 1 way on drugs lol

@Lerwick8 I hate to be the bearer of bad news.... you get a matched pair of boots, whichever hip you get done. You are way younger than I was for my first hip, I bet you'll be safe from any new creepies:spider:sorry couldn't resist he is SO CUTE!

@MyAussieGirl Mag, bigger car is certainly better, but it's the fit of the seat that is all-important to me. If it's too scooped, I be miserable! If it's too hard, ditto. However, we have meds, and I made it home, 1 1/2 hrs, in a rental car which unfortunately turned out to be less comfortable than the one from home we were originally going to use. I do love to feed others, it's the cooking that seems to have lost its appeal. I think what I'd like is to not have to worry about half of the stuff that I worry about, and then I'd have time to enjoy cooking again. My sister is a year younger than me, and she has an empty nest, no pets, and cooks a very delicious meal daily, at the drop of a hat.

Today will be a regrettably-not-here-much day. Too many things to keep rolling re travel Thursday, and of course I've procrastinated while relaxing my nice hip which is bearing with me pretty well through all this! So, Near End Of Week 5 report:
-Last night I only used ice for a short while on going to bed, rather than the usual of putting it on for the last few hours of being in bed. No harm done, last night at least! It would be nice not to have to come downstairs to retrieve ice at 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning and get all awake-y.
-When I feel like it, I can walk nearly a mile (of intentional measured walks) per day, half in the cool of the morning and the other half before bed. Or weather is going to change drastically tomorrow, and Thursday (when I won't be here...) will be low 80's and drier. So far most of my walks have been sticky and sweaty, even though I only stroll so far. Last night I couldn't tell I had an op hip for the first several hundred feet of the walk!!!!!!
-I have this little overeating issue....keep telling myself, "tomorrow". Well we all know how that goes...
-The numbness that was so weird from August 2 onwards is still a little bit there in my lips specifically. I'm not sure if my brain has stopped paying attention to it or if it's really fading! It has zero effect on my playing, which is a HUGE relief! I was also having hand and finger tremors and twitches. They are not so bad right now.
-Twice the other day I discovered that it was easier to get into the car normally, only very slowly. Getting out remains awkward! My cane sits in my car, used for pulling the door closed.
-the hip feels very solid, gotta love that!
-I am still taking advil and tylenol interleaved for pain, not all of it in my hip, either....
-the most irritating left-over pain is a movable (didn't we used to spell that "moveable"???) groin thing, semi-sharp ache that either comes and goes or stays. Very strange. Outsied of thigh very tender/sore to the touch/light pressure. I gently rub upwards a few times a day, seems soothing.
-My tape is STILL married to my skin! I've cut off a total of about 1/2"sq so far. It loves me, and it wrinkles up the incision/scar which I don't think is beneficial.
-So, at the very top of the scar, the incision is still not totally closed-- I think I have to put a bandaid over it to protect it from the undies binding, which will slide around right there.
- This incision is about an inch farther laterally than the other, which is dead center. I mean to ask about that at next visit Sept 20-somethingth. I'm curious.
-And I looked at my xray again for giggles, and the cup for this one is much more closed than the other, which is not at all closed in shape. Huh. i mean to ask about that too. I know they are a different maker, but that can't be the whole story!

Long update but hey.
Take care everybody and enjoy your week as much as possible!!

We were talking about shedding over on @MyAussieGirl 's thread. I have this picture on my refrigerator that I thought you might like. You can just imagine your cat in the picture or put these words next to your cat's picture. I think if you click on it, it will get larger @zauberflöte
image.png

Great update Zauberflote. Glad you are happy with your new hip.
My "scoops seats" are only fit for a less than 30 min drive before I am squirming. Haven't found pillow or wedge or springy net thing that works yet.
My groin pain is mostly gone now but I remember a few weeks ago it was still giving me trouble.
Have a good good day

Hi @zauberflöte
I know you're leaving for vacation tomorrow and I'm hoping once you get past
the sadness of the memorial service for your mother in law, you're able to put your feet up, relax and continue your recovery, while enjoying time with loved ones.
Wishing you safe travels and a peaceful time away from home.
Hugs

@zauberflöte ...

I hope that you get some sleep tonight and that your husband's middle-of-the-night packing habits don't disturb your sleep.

More importantly, I wish you safe (and certainly comfortable) travels tomorrow. Although it is a memorial service, and not a vacation as such, it should be liberating to be in a place that you love with people that you love for a few days. A nice break from home.:flwrysmile:

@Mojo333 .. sorry to hijack the thread, but something you said really caught my attention..the groin pain!

I am really struggling with this pre-op and was hoping that the surgery would help to alleviate this. The groin pain (and the bursitis) is a constant companion. Sometimes it gets so intense that it feels as though I am being repeatedly stabbed in the groin:gaah:

Did you have a lot of groin pain pre-surgery too? If so, was the pain you were recently experiencing as bad as the pre-op pain?

Again, apologies to @zauberflöte!

Yes I did have groin pain pre-op @Lerwick8 . NOTHING hurts as bad as it did since hip surgery. That being said, I immediately had a beautiful stance. Had no idea how bad I was leaning, limping, etc. So when I started to stand up beautifully and straight and tall, all those muscles had to retrain. The groin being a main place for strain. And my gait became long with practicing..I baby stepped on balls of my feet to compensate for hips. All those muscles aches some too.
But good stuff, exercise sore type. Gets better every day and not without results

Recovery seems to be long and drawn out but then I realize it's only been a few weeks.
Getting better every day. I was getting into the car almost normal yesterday also.
I carry a picture of my post op X-ray on my phone. It's fun grossing people out.

Heehee, I do the same.:eeeuw:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member