THR zauberflöte's Magic New Hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"and then the tennis-ball-butt came back too"
Hi zauberflöte. What, may I ask is tennis ball butt? I am trying to figure out if i have it :)

Quite a few of us seemed to have suffered with the 'tennis ball butt'... I sat on ice packs for weeks... It does help. :)

Elosarabrab thank you, I'm going to keep up the extra ibuprofen for a few more days but not go near any bikes!

octopus you mean this is still going to be happening to me months down the road?????:skep: :rotfl: Let us all say "Arrrggghhh" together!

Sorry that you have overdone things but as Barbara says its something that we all do at one time or another and me more than most so I certainly identify with your frustration.You are doing the right thing in resting,icing and upping the Ibuprofen. It sounds like the bike was the culprit and your hip won't object or come to any harm if you omit it.How much walking were you doing ? I find estimating how much to do without overdoing things so hard and let's face it we just want to be as active as possible as soon as possible to make up for all that time we were totally inactive before the surgery.Slow and steady is the best advice for us all.I hope you feel better very soon.

Kim22
Thank you :) I remembered you starting the bike with 2 minutes, but that was after you'd "overdone it", right? So I thought I'd be safe with 5 minutes. Ha ha. My walking regime is, every night before bed, just under a mile in the neighborhood, and 2-3 times a week the same on the treadmill. I do a core body workout on the floor that seems well tolerated. I'm adding in some bridges and once I tried side leg raises. Tolerated also. But, not even including the bike incident, I've been having more aches and pains this past two weeks than I'd had the two weeks before that. Sigh... let the roller coaster run its course! LOL

Goody2Shoes3, I'll let zauberflöte, answer the tennis ball butt question.....but i'm sure you will want your very own.

Goody2Shoes3 anniemg
Well.... I KNOW Josephine posted an informative post about it, but search as i may I can't find it:hairpulling: So, I don't remember what it is clinically, but it feels like you're sitting on a tennis ball! \The first time around I was calling it my "princess and the pea" syndrome, where nothing was comfortable to sit on. But accepted terminology seems to be 'tennis ball butt", and oh Goody2Shoes3 you are a quick one with the snappy answers:rotfl: :loll:

Quite a few of us seemed to have suffered with the 'tennis ball butt'... I sat on ice packs for weeks... It does help.

Poppet I haven't brought myself to actually sit on one yet, I suppose there's nothing for it but to do that. Brrrrrrrrr![/quote]

zauberflöte Like you said you just have to allow the roller coaster to run its course and scale back the activity until you get back to where you were before you overdid it and it is so darned frustrating.The amount of walking sounds right and the core exercises are good too and cannot do you any harm which is the most important thing.

I finally went to the MIU today about my toe as after a week it was no better and the bruising of the foot kept on traveling north and west and it turns out I have cracked the bone.So its back to regular elevating and icing but the good news is I can walk on it.I would have been devastated if I had to go back to lying around all day again.I was advised to carry on with the paracetamol and ibuprofen combo as the inflammation could last up to 6 weeks just when I planned to start reducing them yet again.

My operated hip feels fine but the other leg is still playing up in the knee as well as the thigh involving the outside,inside and back.Grrrrr!
My OS told me that the left side was fine so maybe its due to overuse or weak muscles.?

Glad to hear that your tennis all butt is receding.

Ahh....that was so funny zauberflöte and so was your comment anniemg.:snork: Thank you for explaining tennis ball butt....... don't have it and don't want it.:)
What I do seem to get frequently esp in the morning, is such tight bum muscles. I even bought a hand held massager ball in the hospital gift shop to roll on it. It does work but my shoulder gets sore trying to reach so far around. When I read "tennis ball butt" I thought maybe other people had the same thing and they were sitting on a tennis ball to try and loosen it up because it feels like that would help ...if I didn't flatten the ball.

Audball wow, biking yet! Just please please don't run your bike into a wall, eh? All the King's Horses and All the King's Men would have a problem with that...
Goody2Shoes3 yeah, a tennis ball is a well-respected PT/physio tool-- I used to use them too, on my back. But I kept losing the darn thing if I didn't lean against the wall hard enough. How about a thera-cane? Not too expensive, and you can save your shoulders and hands too! I bought this amazing electrical trigger point massager once, which was shaped to put in a chair and lean back against it. If i was very careful I could sit on it, partially, and that was fabulous. It has a pair of rotating knobs, about 3-4" apart, and a powerful little motor. I think i need to get that out again!!
Kim22 yeah, the part about scaling back, that's so frustrating, isn't it? Thanks for the reassurance on my exercise levels-- at least I can do something! I'm sorry for your poor little toesie, but glad you can walk on it. I believe that's all they can do for a fractured toe? Let's hope it heals super fast. And the other leg-- it could indeed be both overuse and weakness, I would think. How about a little gentle physio for it?

zauberflöte I am now concerned about bursitis as the aches I the unoperated side have developed into a nagging, dull ache involving the outside of the hip and the area towards the waist as well as soreness of the front and inner thigh.I will ring up the NHS physio next week for advice.i walked for 2 miles yesterday followed by a few stretches.the ache woke me up in the night and is there nagging constantly now which is a new thing to me as with the other problems the pain stopped when I rested.The toe is no bother in comparison.

Tennis ball butt sounds awful, I'm so glad I don't have that now I'm sat at my office desk for 7 hours a day!! :groan:

Hi zauberflöte, I have not been on the organ bench for a few weeks now - that's a sure way to notice tennis ball butt!! - but I think mine is getting a bit better. I still get the back/rump spasm sometimes, although I've found that a good amount of very slow stretching works it out, if I have the patience and fortitude to go through it.
Kim22 - I am so sorry about your toe!

zauberflöte. Sorry to see you are in pain again from the bike. I don't have an anterior so I may have different issues but when I was using the bike at PT they set it very high. I almost could not reach the pedals, and they said not to use a recumbent for several months. I think she said something about hip flexion. Sorry to be so unclear but I am wondering if you pain has something to do with the seat settings.

Kim22 that sounds painful and no fun. I'm trying to keep up with you on your thread, but in case I don't get there, here's my best wishes and hopes for a swift resolution! :)

I don't have an anterior so I may have different issues but when I was using the bike at PT they set it very high. I almost could not reach the pedals, and they said not to use a recumbent for several months. I think she said something about hip flexion.
LeeApril26 Exactly! I remembered more than one person here mentioning to set the seat high. So I did, but didn't take into account the very very wide saddle (my own bike has a much smaller one). So I noticed, too late of course, that I was rocking back and forth with each leg's downswing. That and the flexion just was too much.

But! All that pain went away, and I was (was....) weaned off all ibuprofen and most tylenol, until.....

Day before yesterday, when....

I drove 100 miles, sat for 3 hours, and rode 100 more miles, with a break at 75 miles to do a thorough shopping at Costco (! I couldn't believe I just waltzed my way through that store after sitting for so long). Sitting for 6+ hours out of 9. Well, that was actually ok, as when we got home I felt fine, not too tired, no pains/aches. But. Then there was a magnificent thunderstorm, and for the second time in two weeks the basement/garage flooded. The cure for this flooding is for me to be down there laying down folded whole newspapers in the track of the water rivulets, and hubby outside sweeping water. (I do SO wish glynis were telling this story!) So there was a lot of bending over to the floor involved, and twisting and hustling from spot to spot. By the time I ran out of newspaper (we can't have another flood till about Christmas, used up all the saved newspaper back to 2010 in these two floods) I knew I was going to pay for it. Take the ibuprofen, check, use the ice, yup, that's me all over again.

I was very pleased to find that there wasn't alot of pain, only stiffness, Monday morning. That persists still, but not alot of pain, just a couple of new spots to baby. I'm thinking I overstretched some muscles, and it should settle down quickly. But boy was I tired yesterday, and may still be today!

12 week update-- sometime last week there was another "stability and strength" moment, and I feel even more stable than 2 weeks ago. Love it. I am following a new "rule" I made regarding PT exercises: I wait till I can do a thing in ordinary life, and then I will exercise it. Some of the exercises I was given are just too repetitive and challenge the flexors too much. So I'm going up a few steps per day, say. And using my little hydraulic stepper with no pain, up to 34 steps several times a day so far. Getting out of chairs and off loo hands-free very often. Dancing confidently around twining cat population at feeding time. When I walk outside at night, I leave my cane propped on the mailbox for the first leg, and pick it up on my way back by the house. I do use it for the last few blocks of my mile, sometimes just for play, sometimes for reall.

Progress is much slower now than it was in the early weeks, but I knew to expect that from all my reading on here! Life is good! :)

Oh, zauberflöte. If you could do all that in one day without climbing into bed in a fetal position for a week, with ice, you are doing very well indeed. All that bending and twisting after a long ride and a Costco visit-OY! We also had that monsoon rain a couple of days ago, and are getting another today, so I hope you are not swimming in your basement as I write.
Congratulations on surviving your very busy day.

Thanks for the compliment, ZF, but you don't need any help from me.

You have a wonderful natural, free-flowing cocktail of a style, with a twist of wry humour, and don't even think of ever changing it.

Now, about those flute lessons you promised me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie