Guest viewing is limited

THR zauberflöte's Magic New Hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
anniemg Kim22 I think you have to lose alot of weight to be on Dancing With Strictly the Stars LOL. And be able to do the splits... haven't done those since I was a teenager....I'll leave it to the brave souls who don't mind wearing makeup LOL.
Kim, I was greatly encouraged that he said the groin pain was normal-- and in fact, having him say that allowed me to stop worrying for a day, and the pain faded by the next day. A different one replaced it, but hey, that's recovery, right? :)

when we see our surgeons.
And this wasn't even the surgeon, it was the PA who assisted in surgery. Short and squatty but gives the impression of big and burly, and clearly knows his stuff-- nice and reassuring :) I love your pic up there....kind of scary, is it not? I wouldn't want to be stuck alone in that room, the machines might all come to life at the same moment!:shocked:
 
smrt2run haha good luck, I'm an old hand at buying fairly old Volvos, I know what you're going through. Thanks for stopping by, I debated whether to tag you or not-- busy man back doing real life and all that :)
 
zauberflöte No worries, I usually get an email to alert me. It's so easy to forget as time goes by. I guess that is a good thing. Picking up my "new" car tomorrow. So excited!
 
zauberflöte, great 8 week report. How are you doing for pain and mobility???
I have found I am getting sore from time to time and taking ibuprofen when required. I think when I over do it - say have a long walk and be busy all day with the kids. My left hip is also feeling quite arthritic now!!! Arghh
 
9 week update, "I'm Just a Walking Advertisement For Not Putting Surgery Off Too Long"

I wasn't even going to post this 9 week thing, but the past week has been amazing, full of progress. When I was released from my "rotation restriction" a week ago, I had no idea it would do anything except let me heave a sigh of relief. I went home from OS and let my op leg relax out to the side. I stretched those little muscles on the side of the hip gently. Every day a bit more ROM, no pain from it except maybe the odd sore muscle from over-enthusiasm. I also started walking a bit more, and by Friday something had clicked, big time. Everything feels more integrated and stable. I can move quickly, and do, without even thinking about it. I have more than once found myself out in the kitchen with no memory of getting out of whatever chair I was in-- meaning, I must have just gotten out of the chair with no bother about or from the hip! I have found myself locking up the house to go out without thinking-- and it requires a full turn and twisting in the narrow space between door and storm door! Suddenly I can shake my pants/trousers off my op leg instead of holding the cuff down with the other foot to slide op leg out. I can dry my toes in the normal way-- standing on one leg. The list goes on, and I really attribute it to walking, walking (some days 1 1/2 miles, split into two segments); and to the newfound confidence in the hip given by lifting of restrictions. And, very importantly perhaps, to the fact that I didn't wait too long to have the new hip-- but I didn't know that at the time! I was in enough pain for me, but the hip was not yet destroyed, so the surgery has been easier to recover from than if the hip was a total wreck. (My theory anyway...) I have more energy, "zing", and have to force myself to rest. I go shopping and forget to take my cane out of the car with me, and find myself walking at a normal-person speed (ok, a little slower than that LOL) across the parking lot and don't feel the need for the cane, as I feel stable and steady and strong. I do take it on my night time walk, and use it towards the end-- I seem to tire after a certain distance, and a little judicious cane work can reset the fatigue level, it feels like.

I tried, yesterday, cutting back on my tylenol(panadol)/ibuprofen frequency, but it was the wrong day to do that-- so, will try again after a while. There are hours of not noticing how I'm moving my hip-- love it! The good hip is the one that actually hurts.

I know that the recovery roller coaster will throw me soon enough, so I am enjoying this while it lasts :)

I feel hesitant to post all this good stuff, simply because I have friends on here who are not having this kind of recovery. So, this one's for the folks yet to come :)
 
Woo hoo, congratulations on the fab progress. Moving quickly without thinking, touching toes are all goals for me and it is great to hear you have attained them at 9weeks. It is also a good reality check forme that you are slugging in the miles and seein some change...I am struggling to motivate myself to exercise more and having trouble. Perhaps I can spur myself on thinking of your great progress.
How is the waddley one doing...has he completed a jailbustruntothefreelunchcounter yet? Tigger is pretty sure he is the cats meow and king of all he surveys...such a teenager now. He keeps us amused with his antics. His newest trick is to jump from our wall to the lattice on top of the garden bed when you are watering at dusk...you have this sense of a large creature soaring over your head...it is a bit startling to say the least. He then casually saunters overhead as if to demonstrate his ownership of the area. Hard to resist turning the hose on him to take him down a peg or two. LOL
 
I feel hesitant to post all this good stuff, simply because I have friends on here who are not having this kind of recovery. So, this one's for the folks yet to come :)​

zauberflöte, Good for you. Nice to have that progress sneak up on you!
Your bonesmart friends cheer for you when things are going well and hold your hand when things go downhill. You do the same for them....It all evens out...
Take care.
 
Great report zauberflöte! It's exciting to hear about your progress, especially the parts about forgetting about your hip and walking off without the cane. Pretty soon you'll realize you forgot to take your Tylenol and nothing hurts! Then we'll have a hard time keeping you on the ground :bicycle1:
 
Hi zauberflöte What a fantastic report, you are doing amazingly well.Its a wonderful milestone to forget about your hip whilst you manage activities of living and just doing things without a thought.The walking has really brought you on and it proves that it is the best thing after a hip replacement.You must be a very happy bunny.Congratulations x
 
Chris, your 9 week progress report is wonderful. Never feel guilty of posting good progress (although I do understand the feeling). You know, as well as our BS friends, that each recovery has very different and unique outcomes. Postings on BS is reassuring for all members new and old. Especially the new members they need to read that in reality some feel wonderful and get back to life after a couple of months, while the bone on bone pain is gone others struggle with a different kind of pain that needs to be addressed and can take years. :flwrysmile:
 
Sounds like all is going well, those are good reports both from your last OS visit and the one after it.

You mentioned SI joint pain which is often mentioned in the post op weeks and months as people become more active. If it's bothering you in your PT sessions or exercises let them know and ask for modifications. You can stretch the front of your leg, the quads/flexors, in ways other than lying down on the table and hanging your leg down. You want stretches that allow you to keep your lumbar stabilized and not arching back.

Are you situated on the cushion for the car? Over the years we have used these little cushions and my husband has one in his car seat, which is bucket-like. I use one on the hard dining room chairs. Maybe it could work for you too!! :)

Keep up the good work, your headed back to normal land!!
Take care,
Cardie
 
Great report zauberflöte ! Wonderful news that your energy is coming back . It sounds like you are popping up from chairs like a jack in the Box :dancy: :dancy:

I too would like to see these one footed twisting movements-and you said I was a contortionist. Ha!
 
nmscienceteacher there is a difference between us! You are motivated to paint the deck rails at 1 week (when I was lolling around on the couch) and I am motivated to get on the treadmill at 7-8-9-etc weeks!:rotfl: I have had no desire at all to paint the front door, either! So, don't worry about motivation... you're getting stuff done, which counts for a lot :) ! The Fatso Catso is allowed out in the real yard on Saturday mornings when hubby takes his breakfast out there. Hubby patiently herds him back into the back yard time after time...LOL


Can you stand on one leg, dry your toes, twist round to lock the storm door AND play the flute, all at the same time? THEN I'd be impressed.
glynis well, I used to be in marching band eons ago.... that probably means I have already passed your proficiency test..........so there pthpt!

C Mac Cardie, that's good advice on my S-I joint. It's very interesting, that in some situations lying flat, I can lie on my back for 15 minutes with minimal pain, where pre-op in the exact same situation even 2 minutes was too much. I'm hoping this is progress and will continue! The car seat problem is fading, I hope for good! I like that little tush cush-- so handy! I'm limited in the car b/c adding height will make my head hit the ceiling! I just need the money to maintain a Volvo 240, that's the real solution. *sets out flute case, open invitingly, on sidewalk*

And to all, just in the interest of full disclosure, my post up there was made on a "wheeeeeee" portion ofthe roller coaster. The very next day, it started grinding uphill and slipped a cog....back to "ordinary" now, although I can still move quickly most times -- it's just not so much fun, not so thoughtless as it was those few days. All in a day's work, though, I ain't complainin'! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom