Guest viewing is limited

THR zauberflöte's Magic New Hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zauberflöte Heard you bought running shoes. What kind did you get? I'm still looking. Doing fine with the Keen sandals for now, but when it gets cool (if ever) I will need a new pair as the old ones hurt my toes. Collecting recommendations. Thanks!
 
zauberflöte we have had thunderstorms rolling through and Tigger seems to be spooked. He "helped" change a bed with one of the grands, scaled his tower in a single large bound and tried to hang from the beam on the ceiling, and dropped his toy mouse in the animal water bowl and was fishing it out when I stopped him so he didn't dump a whole bowl of water all over the floor. He is like a hurricane of mischief tonight!
 
Poppet what am I going to do with you???:skep: :heehee: All those pink shoes....you are too funny :) Your better car seat sounds like just the ticket-- even kangaroos (kangareece? Like Moose, meese?) have their good moments. I am really afraid to say anything definite here, but all of a sudden yesterday the car didn't hurt so much. Maybe it's part of the "tennis ball butt" syndrome in disguise. Would be so nice if it stayed quiet like this.....

You need to find a nice creative body shop owner to mount the other seat for you. Sounds as if they would need to adapt the mounting system...have you had anyone look at it?
nmscienceteacher I have-- two different shops. My regular Volvo-only mechanic and a Volvo rebuilder 900 miles away (he didn't need to actually see the car, of course). The regular guys said they couldn't do it. The rebuilder said "call me", which I never did. 900 miles is a "fur piece" to take a car. LeeApril26 too, I'm not sure it's even possible-- the cabins of the two cars are vastly different in size and shape, and I might get the seat in only to find that I couldn't drive b/c whatever. One more, local, body shop to check out. Lenora, the seat is too small for an insert, and any added materials would make me so tall I hit the ceiling...Probably I need a large Mercedes or a Jaguar sedan, don't you think??:heehee: PS the work would definitely cost more than I paid for the car either time (it's been totaled, sigh...)

LeeApril26 my new running shoes are Asics men's "Gel Exalt". I have worn nothing but Nikes for the 30 years I've worn running shoes, but they were all sized wonky on this trip. The Asics won the "they fit!!!" prize, so off I went to burn some plastic. I like them alot-- they fit perfectly, and are really squishy, which feels good. alexthecat mentioned, on another thread (?where?whose?) that I could just buy a pair that felt good in the store, so I did. Wore them for a street walk and the cushioning was very welcome! Haven't been on the treadmill yet.

nmscienceteacher your poor Tigger and the thunder... two of mine are deathly afraid under-the-bed-kitties when it thunders. But your descriptions were hilarious-- I can see it all! :)
 
8 Week OS/PA visit!
Saw the PA this afternoon. Appt for 10:15, saw him at 12:15... I was proud of myself that I survived the drive, the wait, and the return drive! We were partying in the waiting area, many good stories swapped between follow-up patients and wannabe patients.
Saw my x-rays finally: I have a one-screw, uncemented, "Heat Blast" (I envisioned a hair dryer in the OR, but no, it's a manufacturing process LOL), ceramic-on-plastic implant, and the bone has grown into the titanium honeycomb very nicely, he said, "see? no black line there!".
I can do anything, except a hugely deep yoga lunge with a body twist to the internal rotation side. Anything! He didn't mention running, so I asked. No "for exercise" daily running as it wears the hip out, but I can chase a kid or a cat, or run for the car in a cloudburst with no problem. I guess I can bounce up and down from time to time too!!:happydance:
I asked about sandals ( LeeApril26 tee hee) the wearing of and the fastening of, and he said he wasn't familiar with that restriction...
The various pains I mentioned to him are normal, and I should call them if I get a 10/10 kind of pain.
Come back in 5 months, except if I'm feeling really fantastic I should cancel that one and make it for a year.

I came home feeling so powerful, like I really could bounce up and down, do a hula hoop (well, that I think I can, actually), hike a mountain, do a ballet barre... somebody needs to shoot a couple of my balloons here before I leave orbit! :bicycle1:

All that said, the little groin pain (he did say it was normal...) is still there... hate to aggravate that one, I sure do.

The best story was from a woman whose mother (lived to 96) had 4 new hips in the last 30 years of her life. She would be overjoyed at 6 months, but then at 12 months would look back and say, "I thought I was doing so well at 6 months, but here at 12 months I really am all healed!". Nice little encouragement, I thought.
Anyway, thanks for listening!! :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] zauberflöte's Magic New Hip!
BANG! We don't want you leaving orbit zauberflöte, floating around in space! Take it easy with the hula hoop and maybe skip the barre today. :rotfl: :rotfl: Great update though!
 
zauberflöte what a wonderful update, so happy that you are doing so well. I'm curious about the sandal comment, are you restricted in what footwear you can do up? Your post has really uplifted me, I must get that song finished and give you a mention :ok:
 
zauberflöte. Terrific report. Glad it went so well, but don't go being all Wonder Woman on us! Great that you were,able to do,all that driving, too. Excellent day. congrats on the comfy shoes, too. Thanks for the info. Asic's seem to be popular with hippies. Very glad your car seat was a bit less painful. That's a good sign.

Thanks also for asking about the sandals. Red Shoe it was my OS who said I should never wear sandals w/o socks, ever. Only an older lady who had her THR 30 years ago has had such a restriction, and that was only for a year, according to TeeEm.
 
Great report Chris @zauberflote... but wait I think I need to get you one or two of these t-shirts...

[Bonesmart.org] zauberflöte's Magic New Hip!
[Bonesmart.org] zauberflöte's Magic New Hip!
 
Wow, what a long wait at your appointment, good job he gave you such wonderful news to lighten the day!! It's hard to believe when you look at the x ray that this 'stuff' is actually in your body isn't it and what a wonderful job it's doing!! So no taking part in any marathons for you, I bet you are so gutted (upset), about that :heehee: but hey at least you can chase your darn cat if it starts chucking up a furball!! :rotfl:
 
Thanks everybody! I know you will all keep me on the ground, and of course I do plan to continue slow and steady (but one of those t-shirts would be fun...) It was the wonderful mental/emotional rush of finding out that the healing was going well and that I wasn't going to be barred from various activities, even though I can't do them now.

I couldn't have gotten this far without "all yall" helping me at every step-- THANK YOU!!! :) :)
 
zauberflöte Congratulations on a wonderful report. It's none the wonder that you were so elated to know you will be able to do all that you want to do in life given bit more time of course.Golly you had a marathon of a wait to see your OS I thought the NHS was bad as I waited well over an hour to see mine but as you said you soon forgive them when you get good news.It sounds like you were in good company in the waiting room which would have helped pass the time. I loved the story about the 96 year old lady. Wow that is encouraging.Funny enough the physio I saw after my op had a THR 5 years ago and she said the same thing about her recovery but she compared 3 months to 6 months .She had just completed a charity walk along the length of Hadrian's Wall when I last saw her.I love to hear these encouraging stories.I was also encouraged that your OS felt that a small amount of groin pain is to be expected as well.Well done Chris.Get your name down for Dancing with the Stars or Strictly Come Dancing as it is known over here.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom