THR zauberflöte's Magic New Hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zauberflöte, I'm

I keep thinking you are so much further along than you are, because you seem so well. But tell me, how are you doing? You are so on the spot on checking in on everyone else.

Hi zauberflöte,
I was just thinking the same thing as @ Peaches. Just got to your thread ...you sound like a million dollars......but I do hope your health system doesn't cost a bomb. It sounds very complicated and vert uncertain which must be a real worry.
If we aussies opt to take private cover and go into the system as a private patient, ours becomes complicated too. Our Medicare system pays some..usually just the surgery stuff, and the doctors all charge a fee which is nowhere near what Medicare rebates. All the rest, Private hospital, physio etc is covered by Private funds. For example for Physio the limit is $800 per person per year capoed at $32 per treatment. So you can expect the gap to be at least 50%. E.g. Orthotics picked up today.$565, rebate $200.
We can of course opt for the Medicare/ public system but with that comes waiting lists and problematic access for any rehab or physio. Interesting!! My out of pocket will be around $6000 all up.

Anyway enough about that. Will now read through your latest posts and check how you are going. :)
 
Just read your report...great progress I'd say. I can remember back to four weeks and it is still such early days and frustrating. I can tell you though that your progress at week 8 will be quantum leaps compared I've found. I was quite depressed at 4 weeks with how little progress I felt I was making but now I can really see that I WILL be mobile and 'normal' again....whatever normal is!
 
Restriction: my beloved two-week-old 'no rotation" restriction has been assimilated, resistance was futile. I have put some grace into my movements again, and the hip doesn't feel as frozen as it did when I started this. Also, I think I cheat sometimes. But I have not had any pains from any possible rotations that I've done, so I guess I'm not dislocated yet....I expect when I go back on July 17, they will give me a 90-degree rule and no crossing legs...

Hi Chris,

If your OS didn't give you the 90 degree and leg crossing restriction when you got discharged or at your last visit I doubt that you will get it at this late date -- especially as an anterior patient.

Sorry you didn't get the "rotation" issue nullified or clarified but I'm sure you'll take care of it when you go in on the 17th for your next appointment.

How is your walk of the neighborhood going? A while back you seemed to be pondering when you'd be able to walk further than the 5th or 6th house on the block, what keeps you from advancing? Pain? Fatigue?

I saw you mentioned that you have insurance issues with coverage for PT and so had stopped it. I don't know if your OS office has an in-house PT component to it, if it does, try to get a visit in on your July 17th check for some stage 2 exercises to progress to next.

The brain power and energy levels will return gradually, you are still very early out from your surgery and have a lot of healing going on still. :)

Take care,
Cardie
 
Just read your report...great progress I'd say. I can remember back to four weeks and it is still such early days and frustrating.
Maeve you had such a hugely different surgery than I did that it's hardly fair to compare-- I look at all you've been doing since day one, and I am stupefied! There is no way on earth I could have done all that physio so early on, as you did.

If your OS didn't give you the 90 degree and leg crossing restriction when you got discharged or at your last visit I doubt that you will get it at this late date -- especially as an anterior patient.
heh C Mac Cardie, that was a pretty cynical remark I was making there about 90 degrees. I got this no rotation restriction at my 2 week post-op visit, so I am just sarcastically commenting on the likelihood of being given an additional restriction at my next visit... keeps me entertained LOL.
Walking in the 'hood has gone backwards, and I can't quite figure why. I think specific muscles are fatigued sooner, or I'm feeling them sooner due to less percocet, and I so do not want to overdo things. Last night I almost went to that 6th house, but then things felt a little unready, so I turned around. There's time for longer walks! This morning I tracked a wandering cat cross country for a ways-- that was worth one walk, for sure! I'm glad he's so fat that I can walk faster than he can....
That's a great idea about the OS in-house PT, b/c they do have that. But the office is 45 minutes away, so I think it's best to spend my 9 allowed visits at my local (and I do mean local, it's in the neighborhood!) PT facility. But-- if I get eval at OS PT, will that carry over to my neighborhood PT? Do you know?-- b/c that would actually be a great way to start! Good thing to add to my list of questions I plan to call in today.
I never remember to ask you, how are you doing? I can't remember if you have a thread? (see memory note below LOL)

congrats on a great four-week report! Wow, all that work you do in and around the house is amazing. And yet you'd like to do more! I'm sorry about the sleep problem, but surely that will sort itself out? Maybe you are readjusting to the decrease in non-OTC medication (if I read that right)? As for feeling dumb, well, welcome to the club. Just today I had to ask a coworker four times for the name of a novel he highly recommended. It was embarrassing. And as of right now, I have no clue what the name of it is. ...snip....
Peaches It just sounds like a lot of work-- think of your regular routine that you've been doing since DAY ONE!! I did nothing for the first week except fix a breakfast and lunch or two. I'm not house-working more than a couple of hours a day, I don't think. And since i don't go on outings, I don't have that as an energy drain, either. At 4 weeks you were thinking of getting ready to ride a bus, if I recall. I don't have that, so, I futz around the house. I am SO glad to hear that I'm not the only one with mush for brains! Somebody told me two things this morning, and 30 seconds later I had to ask him to repeat one of them, which I now remember, thank goodness!
As to the sleep, who knows? last night was not bad, considering I thought it would be awful LOL. How is your sleep coming along?
Do I change my avatar too often? (honest answer now, especially b/v I have several more that Poppet gave me in reserve!) I'm trying to learn this computer's photo editing software, and this is a good way to do it. Unfortunately, my normal tendency to not remember what I just did is even stronger now so this learning thing is pretty hopeless LOL.
 
Chris it sounds like you're doing great, you always have a good sense of humour, but as I know, other people think we're fine and we like to keep up the image. I am lying in a bath after sleeping all afternoon, because I overdid things yesterday and everything hurts, my hands feel swollen and my brain has melted. Hahahahahaha. .. nothing new there. :angel:
 
zauberflöte keep the avatars coming...they are fun! I think all of us suffer from brain drain as well as energy drain...I was trying to tell my husband to pull some plants (aka weeds) the other day and couldn't remember the name of purslane or Virginia creeper and that is like not knowing the name of my elbow or foot! I blame it on anesthesia and percoset...sure hope it isn't aging or dementia! I agree that you sound as if you are doing well...specially chasing fat cats cross country! Does his/her belly wobble when they walk? All I could think of was me gimping along on my walker trying to keep up with a cat...not a pretty picture!
 
nmscienceteacher wobble?? It swings back and forth. He looks like a beached walrus when he lies down. He's about 15 lbs now (should be 12, 12 1/2)from stealing another cat's food. I tracked him this morning because it's really concerning us-- we didn't really know that was what he was doing. I had my cane, but he goes SO slow that I could follow him very easily. He led me right to the food display. I even talked to the homeowner to make sure they weren't feeding "raccoons and strays"-- they are feeding their cat who won't come inside since the big dog came to live there, so I can't fault that. Now we have to figure out what to do. Keeping him in will be problematic...
You pull Virginia creeper? It's so pretty in the fall!!
I got a call from my "concierge nurse" today, and she suggests that the brain drain may be from the drugs/anaesthesia. She suggested vitamin C, cilantro or parsley, and carrot juice for detoxing. I have the C, just FORGOT I had it!!, and will get the carrot juice. My italian parsley, which was fabulous last year and over the winter, now won't do anything but bolt, go to seed. Do you have ideas for me? We keep cutting it right back to the ground, and it keeps making seed heads grrrrrr! What should I do? I want my butterfly caterpiggles again this summer!
 
Hi Chris zauberflöte

I can't believe it... Just wrote a long post again here and lost it! So writing this in my text editor to copy across.. Not losing this baby! So try again.. (vent, vent!)

I am not a fan of the term detox.. It has so many connotations and uses.. So many folk think they have to battle through a five day (or however long) detox just drinking juices or eating particular foods and they will feel better. Well to some extent that is true for a healthy person. But for us recovering hippies (and kneesies) it is not the best approach. however, if you are going to add freshly juiced vegetable juice to your balanced diet, go for it!

Fresh carrot ( great for the liver, which is working hard to detox your body already from the meds) juice is the king of vegetable juices. It contains a lot of beta-carotene, vitamins and minerals. All this makes carrot juice indispensable for health maintenance, particularly for people with weak immune systems. Add celery, which is a magical alkalizer and parsley is packed full of vitamin C.

Vary your ingredients. Be creative with your vegetable juicing recipes not only for your palate’s sake, but for the nutritional value that the variety will provide. There's no hard-and-fast rule on vegetable juicing. You can try different fruits and vegetable mixes, get used to the taste and experiment with the variety of flavors and sensations you get. Let your imagination run wild!

Add lime, try fennel ( great for the pancreas), cucumber (gently draws out excess fluid from tissue cells), celery (wonderful gentle alkalizer, which is critical for our acidic bodies with all the meds), beetroot (power packed iron), spinach, kale (an acquired taste, but very, very good) add fresh ginger (great for the spleen, assisting in the production of new red blood cells ), don't forget to add fresh fruit to the veggie juice, Granny Smith apples, pears, mangos, citrus (with lime is heavenly).. Talking about citrus.. Add the juice of half a lemon (or whole if you like them) to all veggie juices.. Lemons are exceptional.

I could go on and on, but essentially it really is whatever fresh vegetables and fruits that are available in season is going to give you an exceptionally power vitamin, antioxidant, mineral boost..

Ok, that is it for starters.. Time I wrote some articles and uploaded them into my new section of the library.. Nothing there yet, but time for me to start!
 
@Zauberflote, I'm sorry about the fuzzy brain syndrome, and I know it well. My sleep is still erratic, but when I do sleep, it is much sounder ... so I am no longer exhausted, at least not every day. I still have a hard time juggling a lot of info all at once--but in a way, that's typical of me. So I don't know how much of it is related to the post-op world we are thrust into and how much is just me. I would bet anything the haze for you will lift soon. You sound very clear here, that's for sure. As for walking, I also had periods and will still have them when I can't push beyond a certain point. Then, suddenly after another week, it seems, I can. Try to believe in the "light at the end of the tunnel." You will get there. (Easy for me to say, as I am one of those "o ye of little faith" types.)
 
Poppet oh my thank you for being persistent across two major text-losses!! What a lot of information, yes this kind of thing should be in the library! Someday I will have to buy a juicer, I can see that.

My concierge was not talking about (at least I hope she wasn't) detox in the form you are thinking. I certainly was NOT! I've never done a juice fast, I wouldn't survive it! But adding some juice to the diet can be worked on. if you look at my avatar, you see what's in season in the US south-east right now, with watermelon to come. many veggies also, locally corn and zucchini, carrots, cukes, sweet and hot peppers, baby winter squashes, and green beans, okra (ick); leaf veggies are about past now-- too hot. Fall root veggies will be along later. Tomatoes now, but I am very very picky about them, they have to come from Prince George:rotfl: County! Or my back yard, but I didn't have the will to plant pre op and it's way too late now.
Be that as it may, I will probably have to do with store bought bottled carrot juice.I'll see what else is there besides carrot! Thank you so much-- am bookmarking now!! My very own juicing consult *warm glow* LOL.

Peaches why thank you, telling me I sound clear. It may be because I don't have to make split-second decisions on the fly. Also, you may have noticed that several people can remember from day to day, and even from week to week, what is going on with specific other people. That has never been my strong suit, and it is less so right now. I can't even remember what went on on page 17 after I turn to page 18!
I'm sorry you're suffering from it too-- especially having to commute and to be at work.
And you know? I walked to House #6 twice today! I may pay for it tomorrow-- I'm still paying for sitting too much in the wrong chair yesterday LOL. Being as I'm sitting in it now as well, time to move! BBIAB as they say...
 
wobble?? It swings back and forth. He looks like a beached walrus when he lies down.
Oh the image that produces in my foggy brain...too funny. We have a mama cat who has large litters and for a couple of weeks after they are born, her belly swings like that too. It's really funny when she starts running!
 
Perhaps you can ask the lovely neighbors to shoe your freeloader off when they see him...perhaps even a bit of water flicked at him will discourage him...cats are sooo good at training us and so difficult to train!
Try mulching under and around your parsley to cool the soil and see if that slows the bolting down a bit...sometimes cooling the soil can calm the plant down a bit.
Poppet had some great suggestions on the juicing...sounds as if you could have some fun experimenting with seasonal produce. My husband makes a very robust smoothie every day that is his breakfast...coconut milk, coconut grease, celery, handfuls of our fresh greens, an apple and various seeds. He has offered to share but I like my yogurt and granola too much. He uses a vita mix so he gets all the pulp in the drink.
 
nmscienceteacher thanks for the mulching advice-- I think the parsley is under about 3" of pine tags, but I can add to that. It is a sunny spot that it's in, and close to the house and a sidewalk so any solar gain over the day keeps it a bit warmer. Would 73 feet of rain the past two months have anything to do with it?? (exaggeration for comic relief)

I really don't want to impose on this not-really-a-neighbor. They are the back yard neighbors of my across-the-street neighbors, and they have 7 VERY active kids, with probably 4 of them in the past 6 years. (I'm not even nosy! I can hear the shrieking little voices from their yard LOL) So.....I don't think they'd be into bringing out a spray bottle when they send the kids to feed their cat. Since I never met them before yesterday, I think the onus is on me. I kept the cat in for a couple of hours this am, and when I let him out he made a beeline for the lunchroom. Hoping that the intended cat and *its* across-the-street neighbor cat had already eaten the food. Heh.
 
Poor old chubs...reminds me of a black cat we had once who had the urine crystal problem. He was on a special diet that he didn't like and I swear he mooched all over the neighborhood...we wrote special diet please don't feed on a pink collar! He was mortified by the collar but it slowed the weight gain some. Cats are the kings of their universe and kind of tolerate us as their minions...lol.
 
Wowie dear zauberflöte you're making huge progress -- at least to moi!
Some laundry nearly every day, bed making and turning down daily, vacuumed the wood floors today about 15 minutes, much meal prep/some cooking, some kitchen clean-up w/dishes; load, run, and empty dishwasher most times
That all sounds exhausting me at the moment :thud:. I splurged and have someone come in every other week - for now -- even changes the sheets! :yay:

On the same brain drain path as you... I think we had brighter expectationsn at 4 weeks eh? :sigh:

Hang in there sweets... you're doing great! xo
 
Audball it counts ONLY if you give me 20%:rotfl: How are you?? Should I go check your thread for an update?

nmscienceteacher heh. This one is also on a "special" diet, as his brother blocked and had cystitis 3 or 4 years ago now. Special diet this time around (we did the Hill's with another cat decades ago) consists of canned food with so much water it's soup. So far, so good. "Hose down the bladder" effect. You should see the litterbox LOL.
 
SeaSiren thank you, my dear! I don't know, it doesn't seem alot when I have my feet up and my butt on ice for 6 or 7 or 8 hours a day, you know? Meal prep is actually not much work--peel a boiled egg, put some cereal in a bowl, pour on the soy milk, get a spoon careful not to rotate hip. Cut some cheese, grab the bag of sprouted things chips with sweet potatoes, wash an apple. Stand at the freezer, ice cream carton in hand... oh oops you weren't supposed to see that! You see, that's not really much activity at all!
My "concierge nurse" lectured me yesterday about getting hubby to launder the bed. Arg. Am I the only person who thinks that me being tired now is totally worth my husband's life being a little longer when we're old and gray? oh, we're old and gray now, you say? Who'da thunk it?? He's not even 60!!

As to brain drain, yuk-ola, says I. I will buy carrot juice and parsley, and hope for the best :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom