THR zauberflöte's Magic New Hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi zauberflöte - Lots for me to catch up on!
I eventually got my heel out from between the B and the C as the bride came down the aisle.......:rotfl:
I played the wedding fine yesterday, and service this morning. In between, we had out of state relatives come by for overnight (planned for months) and a choir picnic. As long as I kept moving - couldn't stand in one place too long, couldn't sit too long, I was not too bad.
I appreciated the movie advice! Songman and I are alone in the house this week - maybe we'll go see a movie (especially if the temps get hot - nothing like an air-conditioned movie theater!)
 
Oh zauberflöte You are a good type of friend to have here. You posted such a wonderful explaination of how to go to the movies, that I might even try it. How very considerate of you, really. I think I'll follow some of that advice on my luncheon outings this week that I'm afraid to go on because of my ridiculous lingering pain in the groins. :groan:

Happy Anniversary, by the way. Is that what prompted your lovely date and the chocolate cake? Good for both of you. Although everytime I type chocolate, you know what I think about, don't you? Or rather who I think about? But that's not fair if you're actually enjoying chocolate with hubby. I can't bring up "you know who". Can I Littlejem?

It's really unfortunate that the back gets sore when you're trying to rest and elevate the hip. And I know you've tried sitting on the ice pack, too. How about heat? And rubbing it really well? The pillow under the knee that LeeApril26 recommended may help. In the hospital, we would put a pillow under half the buttock so the patient could then lie back on it, and it would take some of the pressure off. I even slept with a bed pillow under my backside post-op. It didn't work that well, but it helped a little, for awhile.

We need the lotion/cream that Poppet recommended. Poppet did you buy and use the actual cream that you posted the link to? Elmore Oil? It's a little expensive, but if that's the one you used on your husband that helped, I may splurge on it. Although the oils are probably a lot cheaper from the health food store, or the internet. Then we can make our own mixture. We'll wait for you to give us the recipe so we know how much to use.
 
Littlejem Thanks for the explanation! Helps my comprehension of sometimes baffling BBC tv comedy-speak LOL. Your back is just a target this time round, isn't it. Phooey!

zauberflöte. Loved the movie advice. Thanks. Re: pain when elevating. That happened to me during week three and the home PT said to roll up another pillow and put it under my knees during elevation.​
I'm going to try that LeeApril26 -- its' about the only thing I haven't tried. One of the sore spots seems to remind me of what somebody on here said in my early days-- they felt like they were sitting on a tennis (or whatever) ball. I do feel a sensation of there being a pea in my princess chair.....a large one at that!
It's really unfortunate that the back gets sore when you're trying to rest and elevate the hip. And I know you've tried sitting on the ice pack, too. How about heat? And rubbing it really well? ...snip... In the hospital, we would put a pillow under half the buttock so the patient could then lie back on it, and it would take some of the pressure off. I even slept with a bed pillow under my backside post-op. It didn't work that well, but it helped a little, for awhile.
@ByGosh -- thanks! I've put heat on the S-I joint/back, and that's nice, so i will do that. Rubbing only makes my hands hurt LOL. My bed doesn't (yet) hurt me. It's the couch and the chair. I try this pillow arrangement, that one, softer here, harder there, move the whole shebang to the other end of the couch (hey! I can watch the tv from here, I think I'll keep this LOL) slouch on my spine like momma told me not to, sit up really straight, maybe it;s just a stage, and maybe also it's in reaction to walking on the pavement. Boy I hate to buy more shoes. Oddly, sitting with feet on floor seems sometimes to relieve whatever it is, but it's not kosher cos it's not elevating LOL.

Oh speaking of which, LeeApril26 you are off the hook regarding shoes! Those cute flats came and they were not at ALL what I had hoped. Not to mention even the bigger ones were too small. So back they go, and I've saved myself some money.

Did nobody catch that I drove the car today???? First time!! Out on the road even!!! :yay:
 
Thank you so much Poppet for your research and information about this oil. I can't wait to try it on my lower back area. For those of you in the USA, I have found the website for the distributor: broken link removed: https://www.elmoreoilusa.com/ (website for the distributor Sierra International Health Products, LLC)
They even offer a free sample (which I requested) and they sent me a coupon code for 10% if I like it and place a future order. They also have a store locator which, when I entered my zip code, brought up 2 natural/health stores near me that sell it. They also ship to the UK but I'm not sure the charges.
 
zauberflöte - yes, I caught that about the car! And how did it feel? How was getting in and out of the driver's side?
Songboy has taken "my" car, so what we have left is the old clunker, which happens to be a stick shift car with no air conditioning. It's really low to the ground, but other than needing to hold onto the handle above the door to lower myself in, I'm OK. Mom wants to offer me to drive her car to her appointment tomorrow, but it's almost like sitting on the ground (Mazda sedan) and... I'm not sure about getting in......
I remember the "sitting on a ball" sensation from my first hip even more than this; I think I was expecting it this time, so I just didn't pay much attention. Not great fun. This, too, will pass.....

Thanks, Teacat, for the link for the Elmore oil!
 
Teacat wow thank you for finding that distributor! The prices are about the same as shipping from Au, but I believe I'd get it sooner..... LOL

Songlady the car, well... The car I'd prefer to drive is a stick shift 1984 Volvo 240-- way up off the ground, compared. But it sometimes has no brakes...so I drove my 1994 Volvo 940, lower and the stupid doors are those wiiiide opening kind that drive me up the wall-- need the cane to pull them shut on the op/passenger side LOL. The seats are leather, so getting in was not a problem. I got in the approved butt-first method. Unfortunately my "pea in the princess chair" hits right at one of the "low padding" spots of the seat, exactly where this car used to pain me SO much that I had to not drive it for about 6 months. The passenger seat doesn't have quite the same problem. What really had worried me was, that I'd have forgotten how to drive-- seriously! And that my brain fog would prevent me from reacting. but I monitored very closely the whole (short) way, and seemed to be doing just fine. So I think I'm primed for a small grocery shop on Tuesday.. just a few things. Same distance as church, more traffic tho.

Do you think you can drive stick yet? I can imagine the hip getting really tired and just not being able to do the clutch one more time...and being nowhere near home!:shocked: And this "pea" is just one of those things that happens and passes? It's a real pain in the rear:rotfl:
 
Sorry zauberflöte I did read that you'd drove the car and then surgery brain kicked in and I promptly forgot :sad: It's a really BIG deal driving the cat er car (SB again!!) well done you and doesn't it make you feel so, well, independent?? Just driving that short distance opens up your world again and allows you to to do stuff on your own, it feels good, doesn't it!:happydance: !
 
Hi there zauberflöte, yes we bought the Elmore oil Sat morning and have applied it to both of us. I was pleasantly surprised that my lower back stayed pain free for almost 8 hours at work today ( long day, almost 12 hour work day). We also bought the small container and I took that to work and applied it to my back late in the afternoon and it got me through the rest of the day..

Have to say I am impressed, but want to evaluate it over time.. On first impression, it is more effective than my own recipe, probably because of the percentages they have used which are higher than mine.

The other thing I noticed is that they have a 14 day refund guarantee if it doesn't work.. Not sure how that applies o/s though.
 
zauberflöte - yes, I've been driving the car with the stick shift for several weeks. My left leg is my op leg (the "clutch" leg) and.... it's been fine. Maybe not 100% absolutely comfortable all the time, but in no way dangerous. Obviously, stop-and-go town traffic is harder than highway driving, because of all the gearing changing in town, but I've done a bit of both. The wisest thing, of course, is to try a little in a parking lot or a deserted area of town.
Littlejem, you are absolutely right, driving gives a sense of independence that is wonderful! In my case, I've been able to do things for my mother. (Yes, I drove her home from the rehab in the stick shift clunker and to the doctor's Friday in that car and will take her again today to another doctor's in that car.....) Songboy filled the larger car with instruments and took it 350 miles away to camp for the week!

Poppet and Teacat, I ordered the sample of the Elmore oil! I'm hoping it will help with the muscle issue that keeps cropping up. ( Now: :gaah: after Oil: :yes!: ) :heehee:
 
and - zauberflöte - yes, the "pea" sensation under the rump does go away, or at least it did for me last time. I have been extremely aware of it when sitting on the flat wooden organ bench! With my first hip, I think it went away.... within 6 months' time....?
 
Did nobody catch that I drove the car today???? First time!! Out on the road even!!! :yay:​

The 11 o'clock news showed you driving your car right before they reported on Nik Wollenda and his tightrope walk over a gorge in the grand canyon... Holy moly you're good!!(kidding!!)

I did a google search on purchasing Elmore Oil in the U.S. The link below identifies Golf Pain Away as a product that is being sold in the U.S. by the makers of Elmore Oil in Australia. Amazon and Dick's Sporting Goods sells the product.


broken link removed: https://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/blogs/newstuff/2013/03/-by-john-strege-can.html
 
hey anniemg ltns! I'm glad you stopped by :) How are you? How's work? Did you go to NYC yet? Still going in your pool? (I feel so clever, I cheated and went to your last post to see what you'd been up to...)
PS come down here, honey, the men often open doors even if you're hale and hearty and they're not!
 
zauberflöte....Work is good!!! I spent the entire weekend in the pool....I think I am going to pass on NYC and when my Aug apt with the OS comes around, tell him to sign me up for the left hip....I'm going to bite the bullet and take a hit on my finances this yr...I know I can't make it thru another Fall/Winter with this pain. My right hip is good except for the feeling in my bum like i'm sitting on something....The left hip is waking me up in the middle of the night....so i know this can't be good.
 
awww gee sorry you have to do it so soon, anniemg ! But you know how good you will feel, and the finances will somehow line themselves up for you. I've reached that "Princess and the Very Large Pea" place too. Songlady remembers that on her first hip it went away by about maybe 6 months. Good to know it may go away, eh?
 
Well took the weekend off from 'smarty devices'... including my laptop and I find that zauberflöte went for her first drive!!! :)... after sitting in church... even enjoyed a date night a loonnng movie - happy anniv too! You're really coming along sis! Now if only that naggy 'butt-pea' would go away...booo.

Thanks Teacat for finding that site... you too Poppet for your review! There's a shop 8 miles away that has it... uggg if only I could drive... but sweet T can hopefully pick the Elmore Oil for me soon... I'm desperate - and encouraged...

anniemg that stinks your darned other hip is waking you up... Get 'er done before our lousy NE winter hits! :snork:

Songlady pretty impressed about your wedding performance ... and that you've been driving clutch for a few weeks... where does Songboy go 'up to camp'... Maine?

OK many threads to read & get up to date on... a lot to read when you don't check in every day yikes! xoxo
 
zauberflöte, add Mr. Selfridge to your list of bbc shows....I also got hooked on call the midwife & downton abbey...Books....Have you read any Adriana Trigiani....she is a very light read...enjoyable....how about the girl with the dragon tattoo series.....excellent! I liked the swedish subtitle movies better than the american. Just me..
6 months for that pea thing to iron itself out..i'll blow my brains by then(kidding)!
 
Ah yes, the "sitting on something" feeling - still got that at nearly 7 months out! It does seem to be a FAQ for Josephine from many Bonesmarties. I did mention to Hubbie that I thought maybe I needed a new driver's side seat in my car as it felt lumpy, he tried it and told me no, it's me. Time for a comfy cushion?
I have no problem getting into cars, getting out can be tough but mine is OK. I have a stick-shift Vauxhall (General Motors) 7-seater Zafira which is reasonably high off the ground. They are known as Grannie Wagons locally! I don't know if GM markets them anywhere else.
And I just had a thought - "Smarties" in Britain are a small chocolate sweet, covered in a brightly coloured sugar coating and are very more-ish. Another choccy link!
Happy healing to all of you
Anne
 
They even offer a free sample (which I requested) and they sent me a coupon code for 10%
Teacat Thank you so much for finding that! I am getting that free sample ASAP! You're a peach.
And Poppet - thanks for trying it and giving us the review on it. :) It's great to know that you found it helpful, before we go ahead and order it.
Yay - One more item in our arsenal against pain. Maybe it'll help all of our 'Princess and the Peas ' too. I hope so, ladies! That's sounds like a very uncomfortable feeling- to be sitting on something. ouch. Is it a muscle that's in spasm and so tight? Isn't that what you had recently Songlady ? I seem to remember something about the recommendation of the acupressure massage to that area by spouses? Although when they're gone all day and come home tired out, the last thing they may feel like doing is massagine a tight gluteal muscle. They probably want their own massaged a little bit!

zauberflöte I hear you about the hands hurting when massaging. I was doing the acupressure massage as posted in our library here on my thigh, and my shoulders started to kill me - the old tendonitis was acting up. I figured that I'd rather save as much of my shoulders as possible for paddling around in the pool. But the massage did work and whatever was making my thigh muscles sore, was gone after a few weeks of it three times a day, along with the Arnica Gel. And Congratulations On Driving For The First Time! Especially alone..you're brave! I had someone with me the first few trys. It does make you feel less like you're homebound, doesn't it? Good for you. The world is your oyster now..:)

anniemg Hello there. What were you doing in the pool all day? Enjoying yourself and swimming? Or do you work in a pool? Like teaching lessons? I don't know....And so sorry to hear the other hip is starting to act up and ruining your sleep! Poor dear, it's bad enough to have daytime pain when you're awake anyway, but to have night time pain that keeps you awake - it's just not fair. You will feel so much better to have it taken care of. You're smart not to wait too long.

SeaSiren Hello there. Glad you rested from the computer for the weekend, and you're back now, all cheerful and ready to roll. :) How are you feeling?

Songlady A stick shift? Now I am impressed. That's a lot of pedal pushing - I would bet those leg muscles are strong from pushing the organ pedals, which you've been doing for quite a while now, post-op. It does make sense to let Sam take the better car way up to Maine, though. Less worry, that's for sure.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom