Guest viewing is limited

THR zauberflöte's Magic New Hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, today. I have managed to visit two other people's threads, briefly, and mine twice. Sheesh. Tomorrow is gonna be a marathon!
Three week update.
This week progress was slower, as anticipated, but concrete nonetheless.
Backing off on pain meds some, so far so good. Less percocet, more tylenol.
Timed my "record long" walk this morning, to the 5th house up the street. 7:30 front door to front door. Am i ever going to hit 30 minutes, much less 3 miles?? I was a low energy person before, I guess I still am...
Appetite for my normal "really clean whole foods" diet has still not returned, more's the pity.
Digestion would be back to normal if I weren't eating cheese, fish, and chicken just about every day.
Until Wednesday, when restrictions were placed on me, I was moving about the house smoothly, ditto shower tasks. Now back to adaptations for shower. Sigh.
Sleep becoming less "normal" as I take fewer narcotics at night. No fun, but at least I'm in bed!
PT as given identically from hospital and in-home PT first visit going well. I've added reps and holds and in one case a little ankle weight placed (so far) below my knee-- staring small and carefully!
Sat weird watching a movie this evening-- hip can't figure out what I did, neither can I! I was sharing the chair with a big old ice pack!! LOve my water/rubbing alcohol homemade one-- it stays very cold for many hours!
After the movie, we went out for a little walk, and walked the 5 houses one plus another! What do you know!

Good night, all you wonderful people, hope for good sleep for everyone, and a bright beginning tomorrow! :)
 
Slow and steady! I never used any ankle weights at PT and was curious why. Stopped by to tell you that I will finally be making my brownies haha. My dad gave me the nutella so I figured I would try and make them for Father's Day. Secretly I want one or two myself.
 
zauberflöte, recovery sounds good! I am 3 wks and 2 days and I can agree it is slow but steady. Managed to walk for 40 minutes today - 25 minutes in one go. I have stairs at home and do go up/down them an awful lot so that has to count for something. My soft tissue pain is easing up but greater pain in the femur and knee. The past 5 days I have been eating so much and need to start easing off. My resting heart rate is back to it's pre surgery 65 bpm so I gather my metabolism isn't cranking as it was when it was higher. The logistics of having to buy bigger pants while having restrictions is just too much for me to consider!!!!

Yum....brownies. Stop it!

I am an insomniac but since having the op I have been sleeping really well. A welcome change of things!

I am back to doing some voluntary work, just computer stuff at the moment but next week hubby goes back to work and I have to eeeekkkkk look after my kids/house/meals. Oh dear.:scare:
 
Appetite for my normal "really clean whole foods" diet has still not returned, more's the pity

zauberflöte I know what you mean. I've started making puddings (rhubarb crumble ) and cakes , which I havent done for years. Trouble is then I eat most of them on my own and then have a panic attack when I get on the scales. You sound a bit fed up :kittykiss: I think between 3 and 4 weeks are the worst weeks. The trauma of the surgery is fading, but you cant imagine being 'right' and feel that you are on the road to nowhere.
 
zauberflöte Little people doing the housework? When can I get them over here? Do they come alongside the tall, dark Canadian hunks bearing chocolate (was that your thread? Or one of the other giggle-makers? I've lost track!)
Didn't get on-line for a couple of days and it took ages just to catch up on your thread! Even at over 6 months it is the stamina for walking, etc. that I am having trouble with and still occasionally get that sudden energy drop - after a couple of busy days I crashed yesterday evening before 10 pm and slept round until 8 am this morning! I did stir at 05.30 to kiss my hubbie as he left for work and went back to sleep. :zzz: :yay:
You certainly seem to be doing the right thing, walk one house further each time - but remember you have to get back home again!
Keep on laughing!
Anne
 
So, today. I have managed to visit two other people's threads, briefly, and mine twice. Sheesh. Tomorrow is gonna be a marathon!​
Oh boy I know that feeling, sometimes I just don't have time to be at work, good job I can log on here and catch up at lunch times!! Progress really does slow down and you almost get to the point that you're not noticing you are actually improving but you will be and as smrt2run says slow and steady is good, and taking fewer pain meds and walking even further is real progress. TeeEm the yummy puds sound scrumptious, I sometimes make stuff like that, it's for the grandsons, honestly, no really, I never touch the stuff, yeah right!!!!! :heehee:
 
smrt2run how long has it been? Three months?? I have to tag BarbaraR on this-- I think she was there at the beginning too haha. Please make 2 batches, we've been waiting a very long time here for those brownies. You know, maybe I should make that for our wedding anniversary, which usually gets chocolate cake, one week after Father's Day's chocolate cake, and 3 weeks before hubby's birthday chocolate cake. That's alot of chocolate cakes! We could do with a change, and everybody loves Nutella :)

The logistics of having to buy bigger pants while having restrictions is just too much for me to consider!!!!
too funny! you are walking 40 min a day??!!!!!!! WOW, and stairs too-- yes, I think they count for a whole lot. Wish I had stairs-- I had to buy a little stairstepper a year ago to make up for this one story house... but I don't think I'd better try it yet.
Trouble is then I eat most of them on my own and then have a panic attack when I get on the scales.
Hm.... yes, I haven't been baking, but if it were cooler and I wasn't ashamed, I would. I'm sticking to chocolate ice cream...and...staying away from that scale, i know it's going to be bad. My clothes are still ok, but like on the outside edge of ok, one mroe half gallon of ice cream and it will be too late!

after a couple of busy days I crashed yesterday evening before 10 pm and slept round until 8 am this morning!
Wow-- good sleeping! I'll remember that, and when I crash and DON'T sleep, I'm coming after you:rotfl:

I sometimes make stuff like that, it's for the grandsons, honestly, no really, I never touch the stuff, yeah right!!!!
:snork:
 
Cause For Cautious Optimism!
I have not yet opened a single one of my Evidences of Benefits from the health insurance folks, nor have I yet opened the pile of bills from hospital and OS, which smell like the poorhouse coming to get me....but. Today's mail had in it three slim envelopes from the health insurance, saying "Important Plan Information". So I pretended I wasn't there (so it wouldn't be me fainting out by the mailbox in case of really bad news), and opened one. "Dear insurance holder, blahblahblah you have reached the maximum yearly out-of-pocket amount for the year ending Dec 31, 2013. Blahblahblah just in case this isn't true, watch your mail for updates, but meanwhile, your OS didn't say you couldn't skip back up to the house, now did he? blahblah sincerely yours, your insurance company".
Cautious woohooooooo ! The max yrly o-o-p is of course obscene, but otoh I got my money's worth I DO think!
Cautious smiling. :) Will save chair dancing till all claims have been reprocessed, which is apt to happen next as part of the "blahblahblah-just-in-case-this-isn't-true" part.
I think I shall float my way through this next set of today's PT :) PS I did not skip up the driveway...:bicycle2: thank goodness
 
So impressed with your recovery sweet zauberflöte :SUNsmile: Been away from the forum... well...computer in general - but fog has cleared and happy to read your posts again (took me a good hour)!! Congrats to You and beckylou walking about the neighborhood... I didn't see if that's with a cane??? Haha funny about the insurance - yay deductible met... I got the same news today :egypdance:
 
heh clifford149 who knows what's going to fix this mess. My family has a nasty individual policy, so the premium is more than our mortgage, the per person deductible on the plan we could afford is obscene, the family deductible is 2x obscene, and the max out of pocket is 6 x obscene....I have definitely paid for this hip already, and probably the other one too!
SeaSiren golly we get our surgery the same day, and our little happy notices the same day; our insurance companies must have their hands in each others' pockets:rotfl: It's good news, isn't it? let's go out and buy shoes!!! it's what all the smart hippies are doing :)

Good night everyone, heal in your sleep, and happy wake-up tomorrow :)
 
Hi, zauberflöte ... very glad to read your latest "recovery" report. I think weeks 3-4 were rough for me. I do think I know what you mean about that drug-induced brain fog. I really didn't like it at all and was glad to progress to only taking Tylenol (for me, extra strength), which I am still taking at 7 weeks out. You said you're a low-energy person, but you don't sound like it to me. Sounds too like you are tacking the PT exercises with common sense, backing off the ones that hurt. Your walking sounds good, too. Oh, and what is up with the increased appetite? Mine has gotten that way, too, especially craving protein. I also have a pile of missives from the insurance company. I have called them constantly, always getting contradictory info about the blased anesthesiologist's massive bill. Fingers crossed the ins. co. will pay her even thought she is out of network. I explained ad nauseam it wasn't my fault she wasn't in the network. I didn't even meet her till I was strapped on the gurney and "on my way."

I've said it before and will say it again: You are doing very very well and have been from the beginning. You have had a lot of impediments, too, so all the more reason to feel good about the way you are handling things.
Don't ever doubt that!
 
SeaSiren! so glad to see you. How have you been? I am walking around with 2 crutches most of the time. I can walk unaided but find I waddle a bit so I want to try to avoid that! Bad look for a woman with an expanding waistline - if I hang on to the crutches it is less likely someone asks me if I am pregnant. Haha now but won't be funny at the time. :spin:

I keep thinking it is weird to not feel my hip AT all. I can feel my poor sore backside where the incision was, the knee, the thigh soreness but no hip. And I guess I never will. bizarre.
 
zauberflöte, thanks for tagging me! I'm glad to read that you're doing so well. Yes, we have an obscene deductible, too, which we met easily (Not easy to pay for, mind you, but the hospital bill was over $100,000). Our insurance company would probably drop us if they could--my husband had back surgery after my hip replacement, and we're both scrambling to get any medical testing and procedures that we need done before that expires (which in our case will be October because of my company's plan).
 
Peaches Hah. I am only a high energy person online, really. In person I am quite sloth-like! I have to keep my mouth shut so I'm not disruptive in group situations...here I can wail away, as we musicians say.
I am SOOOOO glad for this forum and its assembled wisdom. I have learned so much, and learn more every day. Not to overdo, even if you feel perfectly competent and energetic. Slow and steady, even if it chafes. All this wonderful help and support!!
Boy I hope your insurance comes through on that out-of-network! They are going to say, of course, that it's your responsibility to know these things ahead of time. I looked up my anaesthesio, but totally forgot to see if he was in network. I'm pretty sure he would be, my network is pretty large around here. I have not had the nerve to open the bills. I will have to soon, tho:shocked:
I am eating fish or chicken every night. I usually only eat chicken if there is no other choice, as at a restaurant. And cheese at luch-- I rarely eat cheese. Stepped on the scale this am-- the damage was not what I'd expected. but we can't keep this up indefinitely!
I rather take tylenol every 4 hours, so I use the regular 325mg kind. next week I think I can get rid of these last little percocet half pills... yay!

BarbaraR thanks for stopping by! I figure you must be totally back to normal with just a few aches and pains, yoga coming along nicely, work busy and fulfilling, social life back up to normal-- lovely to anticipate. How's your husband doing? I'd forgotten about that!
I'm terrified to open the hospital bill, for fear that there is some bad news there, ditto surgeon etc. As in, these services are not covered! I'll wait till I feel a bit stronger emotionally, I think. Hubby had a hernia repair in January, and one poor son had an ER visit cos it was a Sunday, so that brought us very close to that max out-of-pocket already. I figure since we have an individual insurance product, they CAn drop us if they feel like it. I'd love to get the other hip done and billed before the end of the calendar year-- but then they would drop us, I fear....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom