Guest viewing is limited

THR zauberflöte's Magic New Hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maeve octopus Oh dear ! I see my OS for the first time tomorrow (I'll be 8 weeks and 6 days ) and I'm going to get a right telling off methinks ! Ive been bending forward touching my toes (with feet together ) turning onto my front op-side first with no pillow to sleep and Ive crossed my legs without thinking on several occasions . :thud: I havent rotated my leg or twisted though, so I suppose thats something.
 
Yes TeeEm,
Everyone seems to tell me that. No doubt as time goes by people break it from time to time but I guess it's just a cautionary habit to try and maintain...and maybe you just tend to keep to it unconsciously??
Wish I had more ROM in my new hip so zi could more easily put the foot of that leg up on my good knee( knee pointing out of course!) to put my socks on!
Need some clues on how to tie my laces on my runners. Any clues? :headbang:
 
Maeve. Reading your description of continued precaution movements is very clear and helpful. My OS only said not to bend my operated knee in to the midline when sitting and then bend over the outside of the leg. But the way you are instructed to move makes sense. Thanks for sharing.octopus. My OS said nothing about low couches. Weird. Wasn't planning on trying bt consistency between docs would be nice.
 
It sounds so crazy for the BIG guy to tell you 'no restrictions' and then his assistants to tell you the opposite!! I would hope that the guy in charge should know what he's doing and if he says 'no restrictions' then surely he knows best. Are you able to get an answer direct from him as this indecision must be driving you mad!!
 
Maeve octopus Oh dear ! I see my OS for the first time tomorrow (I'll be 8 weeks and 6 days ) and I'm going to get a right telling off methinks ! Ive been bending forward touching my toes (with feet together ) turning onto my front op-side first with no pillow to sleep and Ive crossed my legs without thinking on several occasions . :thud: I havent rotated my leg or twisted though, so I suppose thats something.
I still remember the shock of realising I just bent forward to pick something off the floor while sitting on the bed, I was less than four weeks! I think everyone breaks the restrictions without thinking, from time to time. A hospital physio, said not to worry too much, trouble is more likely when we break two at the same time like the 90 deg and twisting.

Yes TeeEm,
Wish I had more ROM in my new hip so zi could more easily put the foot of that leg up on my good knee( knee pointing out of course!) to put my socks on!
Need some clues on how to tie my laces on my runners. Any clues? :headbang:
Your ROM will start to improve little by little, I think it was about 8-9 weeks I could reach my feet easier to put on socks. Can't help you with tying laces, I haven't tried yet, I wear boots every day which zip up the side. I can imagine that would be tricky until you can reach your foot a bit easier.

Thanks for sharing.octopus. My OS said nothing about low couches. Weird. Wasn't planning on trying bt consistency between docs would be nice.
Yes it would be great if all docs gave the same instructions. :) I guess we need to follow our own OS recommendations, as each of our situations is unique. I had uncemented and posterior approach and expected having to sleep on my back and weight bearing restrictions, but thankfully I didn't have these.
 
Maeve octopus My 6 week OS appointment was cancelled for 2 weeks. I stuck to the restrictions for 6 weeks as per the booklet I was given, and Ive been slowly disregarding them ever since. I was told (by the PTs at hip class ) not to have a bath for 12 weeks, so I havent - but many on here are told 6 weeks. I was also told not to do any ironing for 6 weeks (due to the twisting involved ) but havent heard anyone else on here saying anything about that. I dont think anything was ever mentioned about how you should or shouldnt sleep unless I missed that bit and there is nothing in the booklet . I got the information from here about side sleeping and pillows etc . The information people are given varies so much its ridiculous. :rolleyes:
 
Hi everyone - just list all the precautions and pick out the ones you don't mind to do, ignore the rest! My Dad was told 15yrs ago (RTHR) that he could play golf (never played it in his life!) but must not ride his bike (so gave it to my oldest son). He was amazed when I told him I was going on the exercise bike at the hospital physiotherapy sessions. Didn't do my knee any good, but that's another story!
zauberflöte I thought of you and your allergies at the weekend after visiting a local garden centre. They had a new display of scented candles that smelled so strong I had to leave, feeling very ill! I also find department stores difficult with their perfumery at the entrance - I don't go in.
Regards to all
Anne
 
Maeve TeeEm LeeApril26 octopus zauberflöte I would think that the 90 degree rule would be hard to 'obey' forever. I think for some patients trying to put your op leg up on top of your other knee would be trickier than bending over?

It does depend on what type of surgery (anterior, posterior, etc.) was performed, who did it, and even where you live it seems, which restrictions are given. Maybe even the position of the moon and the planets when it was done!

We all just have to go by what our individual surgeons tell us.

Maeve That was quite a description of the water exercises which you explained. Do you do all of them?
 
glynis White bucks are white shoes that were popular in the late 50's, maybe early 60's with the fellows.
GoshDamnIt doesn't offend me in the least. And I'll bet spending an afternoon at your house would be a very interesting way to pass the time. :) No ladylike swooning for me, I'm certain of that.
 
Maeve and octopus ... I appreciate what you've shared here, but it scares me since my OS (and I keep saying I have utmost faith in him because I really do) has said none of this. I asked what restrictions are for life and he said nothing. But brought up again that for six whole months I can't reach down to the ankle on the operated side with either hand. That seems to rule out more than just buckling a shoe. I do have the highest confidence in my surgeon, by the way. But worry all the time at the vague info compared to what everyone else on BS has received. Well, I'm glad you two are doing so well! Thanks again for posting this info.

ByGosh: Was it Pat Boone who sported white buck shoes??
 
Peaches I got different recommendations from different people too. It was upsetting at the time, but I decided that I know my body better than anyone else and that I could trust my own judgment. With time I found that my new hip was just my hip. It will tell me what it can do if I listen, just as all my other (natural) joints do. I'm more than three years post-THR and my artificial hip is very much like the healthy, natural hip I have on the other side. I never even think about it, to be honest.
 
How are you today, zauberflöte??? You changed your avatar, so I almost didn't recognize you.
I have nothing intelligent to surmise about the mixed nuts you are receiving from the cast of characters the surgeon's like to call "their team." How are you otherwise? I read elsewhere a post of your that sounded like you are getting/feeling stronger. You seem so far along for someone not that far along!
 
Peaches Yes, I do believe that Pat Boone sported white bucks, among others, like my older brother.

I was just remarking on this thread that every surgeon is different with their restrictions. It is just so variable from surgeon to surgeon. What's important for us, I think, is what our particular surgeon tells us, or stresses to us. And if there's any doubt, we should ask, and hopefully get a reasonable answer, not information that could further confuse an already confusing issue!
 
ByGosh ... my problem is that my surgeon tells me next to nothing. His P.A. and nurse will answer questions, but sometimes not with the detail that I need. Oh, well......
 
Peaches I'm sorry that your surgeon and his people aren't more straight forward with the information you need to make you feel more at ease with what you can and can't do.
I wonder if you can look up the type of surgery that you had (e.g. posterior, anterior, etc.) and see what the general restrictions for that type are? Then perhaps use those as sort of a rough guide for you, and err on the side of caution with them?

I remember Josephine saying that there are many, many surgeons who never give any restrictions at all, and there are probably many, many patients who ignore the restrictions anyway. I'm not recommending that, but it does tell us there are THR patients who do fine without all of these restrictions imposed upon them. I think she meant that we shouldn't worry so much about it. That's easier said than done, though. I was petrified in the beginning by what my at home PT kept telling me were 'wrong movements' I was doing, as far as dislocation was concerned. But it seems that the movements they had me doing were wrong for other reasons, like causing pain and inflammation.

It's frustrating, I know, especially to get conflicting information, or no information. It seems there should be some way this could be easier for us. We have enough to worry about without any gray areas where we have to guess or fill in the blanks!
 
Maeve and octopus ... I appreciate what you've shared here, but it scares me since my OS (and I keep saying I have utmost faith in him because I really do) has said none of this. I asked what restrictions are for life and he said nothing. But brought up again that for six whole months I can't reach down to the ankle on the operated side with either hand. That seems to rule out more than just buckling a shoe. I do have the highest confidence in my surgeon, by the way. But worry all the time at the vague info compared to what everyone else on BS has received. Well, I'm glad you two are doing so well! Thanks again for posting this info.
My surgeon did say that I would know by the feel of the hip if I should do something or not. (In saying that, personally I still wouldn't bunjy jump or anything like that! :heehee: ). So at the moment because I still have pain and tightness I won't push movement past these barriers. I think @ByGosh's idea is a good one, look up general restrictions for your type of surgery and maybe follow the common ones from that list.
 
It's so easy to get worried by the different messages we're all getting from our surgeons, assistants and PTs but then I remember that my surgeon told me, in all of the hips he's replaced and he has done a lot, he has only ever had one dislocation and that will do for me.
 
I remember that my surgeon told me, in all of the hips he's replaced and he has done a lot, he has only ever had one dislocation and that will do for me.
I got told that by my OS as well ! He also told me before surgery when he went through the possible complications, he had only ever had one in-operative fracture as well though, so I was number 2 . I reckon he tempted fate there. :loll:
 
Well yall, I go away and come back and the frig is EMPTY and there are CRUMBS all over the floor and furniture, and somebody brought a huge institutional coffemaker and forgot to turn it off, good thing it was still part full. I need maid service NOW!!!! Also I want more chocolate ice cream, it seems from the trash that many Klondike oreo bars were eaten and I did not get one single ONE!!!!!!!! Payback time, folks!!!!!

Ok, how can I clean up this mess of quotes I've been carrying for two pages.... may not clean them up at all, serve you right!
My OS said nothing about low couches. Weird. Wasn't planning on trying bt consistency between docs would be nice.
LeeApril26 Agreed.

Wish I had more ROM in my new hip so zi could more easily put the foot of that leg up on my good knee( knee pointing out of course!) to put my socks on!
Maeve Heh, I can do that but I'm not allowed!!!! Couldn't do it before at all, and desperate to stretch that out now!!

It sounds so crazy for the BIG guy to tell you 'no restrictions' and then his assistants to tell you the opposite!! I would hope that the guy in charge should know what he's doing and if he says 'no restrictions' then surely he knows best. Are you able to get an answer direct from him as this indecision must be driving you mad!!
Littlejem I'm waiting a day more, trying to see what I can do that doesn't drive me bonkers (I'm trying this and that method for this and that movement) and then will call specifically for him with specific questions with simple yes or no answers. Shouldn't challenge his manly mind too much....LOL

A hospital physio, said not to worry too much, trouble is more likely when we break two at the same time like the 90 deg and twisting.
I never was given the 90 degree one. Maybe I'll get it when I go back in July!!

Yes it would be great if all docs gave the same instructions. :) I guess we need to follow our own OS recommendations, as each of our situations is unique. .
octopus agreed!

The information people are given varies so much its ridiculous. :rolleyes:
TeeEm double agreed!

I thought of you and your allergies at the weekend after visiting a local garden centre. They had a new display of scented candles that smelled so strong I had to leave, feeling very ill! I also find department stores difficult with their perfumery at the entrance - I don't go in.
Nannyannie oh nasty! I probably would have smelled it from the car:yikes: When I was first at my job, I had to supplement during the off season, and had a job in cosmetics with a large department store. Perfume was just a few yards across the floor-- I went home every day with a massive headache... But I saved enough $$ to take a master class in England, so it was worth it :)

It does depend on what type of surgery (anterior, posterior, etc.) was performed, who did it, and even where you live it seems, which restrictions are given. Maybe even the position of the moon and the planets when it was done!
ByGosh the latter, I'm sure of it!

I'm more than three years post-THR and my artificial hip is very much like the healthy, natural hip I have on the other side. I never even think about it, to be honest.
alexthecat I think this will be my aim. Thanks for putting it into words :)

How are you otherwise? I read elsewhere a post of your that sounded like you are getting/feeling stronger. You seem so far along for someone not that far along!
Peaches thank you! I'm fine, just can't keep up is all.

My challenge today.. To read your post thread from beginning to end, to find out more about the connection between Arnica cream and blood clots? and answer your question honey :)............So somewhere maybe buried between page 11 and page 18 is the Arnica question, which may or may not be relevant by now..
Poppet you are too sweet! I'm not going to look for it, it's ok now. The same PA who laid these new restrictions on my said that he didn't know arnica, but it was ok to use LOL. From the overly protective to the ridiculously uninformed!!

I'm not trying to push the name GoshDamnIt, but if you find that offensive I'm afraid you would faint away into a ladylike swoon if you spent an afternoon in my house. We're not big on asterisks here. Tell it like it is...
glynis I think your house would be the ideal place for us to have our annual reunion, right everybody?
. He says as long as the operated leg is turned out from the knee all is OK. To put shoes, socks on when sitting I can stick the knee out and lift the operated foot onto my good knee.( As long as the legs are not crossed at the thighs seems the rule) Alternately , with the knee out, I can put my operated foot behind my good leg ( at about calf level ) and reach down my good side to put the shoe on or off.
again, heh. This is what I'm not allowed to do LOL.

Now to what to do in the hydro pool zauberflöte. Lots of sideways walking is good.
Maeve WOW thanks!! I will save that till I'm allowed to do any of those lovely stretching out relaxing ROTATIONAL moves :) Another five weeks and my ROM is going to be worse than it was pre-op! "Pt's RH has seized due to inactivity and muscle spasm brought on by obeying restrictions rigidly. Recommend massage."
My physio explained that turning the knee outwards when reaching past the 90 deg, puts the hip joint in the most secure position. It's interesting to know about getting up and down with feet shoulder width apart.
octopus Huh. And were you to do this from the git-go? I did some of that in the first two weeks, cos it felt sooooooo good, but not now, nossir not me, nope!!

Well will you look at that! The Little People came in and cleaned the whole place sparkling clean! Good thing there was a dish of milk on the porch already! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom