THR zauberflöte's Magic New Hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zauberflöte I'm with bottomshollow! Do call all your OS. The totally contradictory advice you received from the nurse makes no sense. Why suddenly impose restrictions when there were none. Perhaps she is old-timey, and believes more in restrictions than the OS does???
We all have total faith that you will make lemonade. Your humor and cheer have been so supportive for everyone. I wish that there was something I could do for you. Try not to drive yourself nuts.
 
Oh poor dear zauberflöte I'd say that nurse should have her information straight before she starts giving telephone advice. I mean, she's a licensed professional - she's responsible for what she says. She's gotten you all befuddled and gobsmacked and upset, and probably for nothing. Not fair, not fair at all. You're doing so well, don't let this throw you off course. It's not a big deal in the scheme of all you've been through so far. Bottomshollow said it best, you've been doing fine, and you'll continue to do fine, despite Mrs. DumbNurse On The Phone.

And Cardie was right, the pool would be great for just gentle walking and a few of your PT exercises for now. I've been putting one of those barbells with the foam on the ends between my legs to keep them afloat while I paddle around a little. I can still feel a little pull if I side stroke (left leg hangs down), so the most comfortable position is back float/paddling. I lay on my back, my legs afloat and just stroke my arms to get across the pool, nice and slowly. If I'm having an ok day, I can do that while on my stomach a little, too, with my head in the water, until I have to breathe, then I turn sideways for a breath, (hips and all) and back to stomach again. My legs are just floating, no kicking, or just a tiny bit of foot movement, a knee up and down once in a while (serious groin protection here), no hip moving for me yet. You'd figure out something safe and gentle to do. Water walking is great exercise for the leg muscles.
You'll be okay, don't stress over all of this. You know we're all in your corner, zauberflote! After all, you are the one who has the Magic Hip! :)
 
zauberflöte I can't really add anymore to all the advice you've already been given. I hope you can speak with your OS and get everything straightened so you know what you should be doing. I think it's pretty hard to get your hip dislocated. Take care and try to be calm until you get the restrictions from your doctor
 
Don't get into too much of a panic about restrictions. Just be sensible.

However, I can report that "swivelling" too much can be a bit of a bummer (if that's not too precise a description). Some months after my first op (after the accident) I felt confident to play a round of Crazy Golf with a group of friends on holiday. You will understand that these were not exactly PGA championship strokes... but they did require quite a degree of swivelling.

Back at the hotel I just managed to get into bed, and there I stayed. The others went out that evening to what my husband later told me - rather too gleefully, I thought - was a fabulous restaurant.

Me? I was All Swivelled Out.

It didn't do any lasting damage, but it was obviously A Swing Too Far for whatever muscles, or tendons, or general thingies are involved.

Just for now then, ZF, Twistin' The Night Away is out.
 
What a lot of mixed messages Chris... You need to check with your OS.. Go straight to the surgeon who saw the state of your hip and knows what is best for you.

Pool work is fantastic, especially walking in waist height water.. I have a fabulous ebook written by an OS who discusses the exercises to do in the pool.. It is called 'Heal Your Hips'. It has a very good section on post THR. When I can get into the pool I do the exercises..
 
Hi Chris,

When does your PT begin? Be prepared, you may get more conflicting advice there as well..... I had anterior approach with no restrictions but had suggestions made by both the in-home PT and the out patient PT as well. It's like being pregnant and everyone wants to get their .02 cents worth in! For the anterior approach, I had two different PT people tell me about dislocations with the kicking & swiveling of the leg (at the knee) backwards for shaving. I didn't use that technique so wasn't worried about it.

I'm glad that you are doing well and it sounds like you have great ROM already. For a while after my surgery my foot lined up perfectly straight like a little soldier, there was no toeing out while lying down. I was tight as a drum.

Glad the PA didn't have any concerns about the goose egg, maybe it is just some adhesion that needs gentle massage to unknot it. That vitamin E massage will help, with a little gentle pressure to smooth out the bumps.

Take care,
Cardie
 
glynis - Thanks for your Saga of the Golf Swing! I think that some my my issues with my first hip, three years ago, happened when the healing was going so well that I forgot to move a bit carefully!

zauberflöte, I hope you are hanging in there, Chris, and not too weirded out this weekend by all the do's and don'ts! If I were you I'd call the OS on Monday and get the "bottom line" (oh, oops, that's right, you were anterior...) and then IGNORE the nurse and everyone else. I believe that Jo has said that many surgeons actually do not even give restrictions! And you're obviously following your own good interior guidance so far and it's working!
 
bottomshollow (love the bikini yogini!) and Songlady LeeApril26 glynis Poppet sandybeach ByGosh C Mac :) I do plan to revisit this with, I hope, the PA himself-- or maybe I should try to catch Dr OS Himself and not just one of the knowledgeable minionettes ok mignonettes (I'm allowed to say that b/c I'm twice as old as they are LOL) Meanwhile, I'm learning to be somewhat graceful in the backing-and-filling department, counting strides till next turn, and wondering just what part of sitting on the john does NOT violate this set of rules:rotfl:
Bottomshollow, overstressing is a part of me, dontchaknow. I was so ticked about the perceived difference between what I'd been told three times and what I was then told Wednesday that I went into, probably, "I'll show them!" mode LOL.
Lenore, it was first the PA who gave restrictions at my 2 week visit, then the nurse elaborated in answer to my questions.
Cardiei, my PT started on day 3. He told me, sensibly enough, not to do any lunges-- I had anterior too-- but nothing about no rotation. There were no rotation exercises, however. After 3-4 visits I discovered that i had no coverage, so I called off the home PT/nursing, and I'm still just working from that first set of exercises. No harm in adding some reps, adding some holds to various lifts, and perhaps adding a few ounces of weight to ditto? I have rx for out-patient, but amn't driving yet, tho i've been cleared for when I can actually manage. So that will wait. PT much easier than initially!
Glynis, the Great Swivel Saga, oh dear I'm sorry! That kind of thing is probably where i'll find myself falling down unless i listen VERY CAREFULLY to everybody here :) What I would fear now is sudden and catastrophic dislocation, which no amount if ice could remedy... In a few months it will be fall, and perfect hiking weather-- never know what you may have to do on a little trail hike-- will be cautious!! NExt Year This Time!
I probably left out Peaches oops

Thanks to everyone who has been part of the calming team :) :)

On to today! Let's talk about energy drain!!! My first real experience with it. Went to church, 7 min car ride, short walk across parking lot, 90 minute service with me walking often, and return home. Walked up the street to stretch out (the same walk that caused pain a week ago today-- now not a problem at all!!), came home, dropped me and ice (gently) on couch and napped, ate lunch, and ice-napped again. Wow. I expected it, but still...phew! And what hurts worst? The so-called good hip...arthritically.:headbang:

Off to TRY to catch up with all many some however many I can of my BS friends!
 
zauberflöte I'm glad that you were able to go to church. I'm sure it made you feel good in lots of ways. And of course you know alllll about sleeping as much as you need to...:)

glynis So you weren't quite up to Tiger Woods post op? I'm glad there was no real damage, but it is unfortunate that you missed the restaurant experience. I would guess that you've been able to make up for it since, though.
'twisting the night away' - another brilliant quip which I'm sure zauberflote can appreciate, being almost of the same generation as the song. I remember it because I had older bee-bop siblings, a brother with a DA and white bucks and a sister with a big teased up hairdo and lots of hair spray and eyeliner. Early 60's, before the hippie revolution came to town. That's the one that caught me. But I digress, here...

Poppet "Heal Your Hips" is a book that LeeApril26 also has. It sounds like a great addition to the recovery library for me, as I was a big swimmer back in the day (a year ago) when I had hips that could actually still function.

That vitamin E massage will help, with a little gentle pressure to smooth out the bumps.
A plastic surgeon's nurse told me that very same thing for a scar that my daughter had under her chin. I use it now twice a day myself, and the incision lines look quite good, I have to admit (unlike the rest of me).

Keep up the good recovery zauberflote! You're too smart to get thrown for long by those that are dumb enough to be confusing. Besides, we've all got your back (hip). :friends:
 
'twisting the night away' - another brilliant quip which I'm sure zauberflote can appreciate, being almost of the same generation as the song. I remember it because I had older bee-bop siblings, a
I'm the oldest, so I missed much of that, was still into my father's big band and Four Freshmen haha. But Mr ZF has sisters up to 9 yrs older than he is, so he introduced me to a whole new world in music!
 
Note to Chris, zauberflöte from Poppet...

My challenge today.. To read your post thread from beginning to end, to find out more about the connection between Arnica cream and blood clots? and answer your question honey :)

Have my recliner ready, hubby will make the coffee, he bought me chocolate cake, a new box of tissues which I am sure I will need to wipe my eyes from the laughter, fun and maybe (don't know yet) some tears... Probably for me.. Still suffering from toe nail cutting event. Thank goodness I am not a caterpillar!

Off to have breakfast, need a hot water bottle and an ice pack... Be back soon .. Hugs from down under xx
 
Poppet I missed something.....what happened to you with the nail cutting event? I'm very curious, and I hope whatever it was, you feel better quickly!
 
Hi, zauberflöte ... gosh, I hate to add to any angst you might be feeling. I am just as exasperated with my own OS and his cast of characters for sketchy and/or conflicting info. AndI still think he's a great surgeon and have utmost faith in him. I am actually on the verge of emailing yet again my OS's PA to claify more something he told me. So I guess that's where I come in on this: I'd rather ask than not. I guess none of this has helped you even remotely, but do know I empathize a million per cent and am outraged on your behalf. Not that that helps.
You do seem like you are doing so well, and plus you have a lot of people and pets to look out for. I would think you haven't done any harm ... but if you feel like checking with the OS, I would. Please let us know.
 
ByGosh

What are white bucks?

I'm not trying to push the name GoshDamnIt, but if you find that offensive I'm afraid you would faint away into a ladylike swoon if you spent an afternoon in my house. We're not big on asterisks here. Tell it like it is...
 
Arnica question?

Hi Chris, is there a zauberflöte interpreter in the house, I read from page one to page 11 and haven't found the question re Arnica.. but I chuckled all the way through and sometimes let out 'ouch' and 'ooo's' .. What a fun hour I have spent.. So somewhere maybe buried between page 11 and page 18 is the Arnica question, which may or may not be relevant by now...

So honey tag me again if your question is still relevant.. But warning, warning.. I could write 11 pages all of my own on the topic of Arnica Montana... Arnica flowers, Arnica root, Common Arnica, Leopard's Bane, Mountain Arnica, Mountain Tobacco, Wolf's Bane... and then you will need an interpreter for my post :rotfl:
 
Hi zauberflöte, Peaches, Songlady, @CMac, octopus, LeeApril26....hope I haven't missed anyone.
I've been a bit slack about catching up on my hippie friends lately.... Busy getting this mobility thing right.
I'm at 9 weeks and it seems the key restrictioons are never to cross the leg further than mid point on my body. And observing the 90 degree rule.My physio confirmed I can reach between my legs when picking up something from the floor if I am sitting. From standing I use the golfers bend. Good leg in front, bend from that knee and kick my bad leg up straight behind me if that makes any sense.
To reach something off the floor on my good side when I'm sitting , put the operated straight leg out in front and lean over to the good side with that leg straight. He says as long as the operated leg is turned out from the knee all is OK.
To put shoes, socks on when sitting I can stick the knee out and lift the operated foot onto my good knee.( As long as the legs are not crossed at the thighs seems the rule) Alternately , with the knee out, I can put my operated foot behind my good leg ( at about calf level ) and reach down my good side to put the shoe on or off.
He also says I must keep a pillow between my legs if I sleep on the operated side as the knee of the operated leg must not roll onto the bed!
Getting up and down when seated is feet shoulder width apart!
It is so confusing isn't it.
He also explained that as time goes by the muscle capsule around the joint becomes stronger but seems these mid point/ 90 degrees still apply.
Of course all this is complicated by any efforts to have ......let me put it delicately..... Intimate moments!! :happydance: :scratch:
 
Now to what to do in the hydro pool zauberflöte.
Lots of sideways walking is good.
Stand at side of pool. Hold onto edge, walk backwards as far as you can on tippy toesthe lean forward and kick the bad leg up as far as you can...hold the stretch for 30 seconds each time.
Again, standing at the side or end of the pool very close to the wall, push your pelvis in as far as possible and bend both legs up behind you keeping the calves as close to the wall as possible. Another great stretch.
Go to the corner of the pool, put your arms to hold on either side of you, put a pool noodle beteen your legs and once you are balanced on that, stretch out and bike ride, or move legs up and down, or move legs in and out. Three good exercises.
If they have any floating dumbells hold one on each had just below the water. Now balance on the bad leg. The closer you hold the dumbells to the body the harder it is so at first hold them right out to each side.
Finally, step ups forward, backwards, sideways...up on the operated leg , down on the good makes the operated leg really work.
I'm going to the hydro pool tomorrow so if my addled brain remembers any more I learnt in rehab I 'll post tomorrow! :yay:
 
That sounds pretty much the same for me, except the pillow between the knees when sleeping on operated side, but I sleep with one anyway for a back problem. My forever restrictions are no bringing the knee up to the chest or extreme rotation of the leg inwards or outwards. Also no high impact activities, or sitting on low couches (because of the way one needs to stand up from them). My physio explained that turning the knee outwards when reaching past the 90 deg, puts the hip joint in the most secure position. It's interesting to know about getting up and down with feet shoulder width apart.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom