THR zauberflöte's Magic New Hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ByGosh I danced quite a bit in my early 20's, and then didn't go back to it when I got my first real job, because the club (still very active) met only when I was at work! And then too my husband does emphatically NOT dance. Good thing our wedding reception was an eatin' drinkiin' swimmin' settin' party! So about 6 years ago I found an "band" to play wth, about 3 times a year, and played most dances except the ones 200 miles away until last fall, when I just had to quit. Some of the driving, and all of the sitting, were just too arthritic...
Songlady Snow White 1937, Fantasia 1940. Just looked em up on IMDB. I am just bowled over when I think of the level of sophistication they showed. maybe what mean is, when i think of how far we really haven't come in 75 years. And..... my MOM saw Snow White as a ten-year-old!! So I guess i will have to watch all of them to find the dishes washing scene i'm thinking of. I'm sure it's an iconic one for the business... I mean...if Peter Jackson can show it as Tolkien wrote it at exactly the same time Disney was drawing it... ok this is getting too convoluted.
 
Thanks for the Disney movie time line info zauberflöte - 1937 Wowsa! That's way before I was around, and Fantasia, too.
The dishes were washing themselves in Fastasia, I'm almost sure of it, and my son just corroborated that fact. (He watched it as a kid a million times.) I bet you can youtube it and even watch those dishes washing themselves!
How did we get on that topic, anyway?
 
PS Please enlighten me--- where in Tolkien do the dishes wash themselves? I do not remember that at all (and neither does my son, who I read all of them to.) But obviously, it's someplace....:what:
 
ZF Goes To The Doctor
Well, had my 2 week checkup with OS PA this morning. Poor little xray tech couldn't get the machine lined up right and i was left hanging a couple of times, literally, from some support thing over my head that was keeping me from falling flat on my face! But we got it.
Xrays "perfect, everything is where it's supposed to be." Good thing, too!
As the little strip of reallllly sticky tape falls off the healing incision, do the Vit E thing-- he demonstrated the technique carefully, good man!:heehee:
For bruising-- eat fresh pineapple! I haven't ever heard that before. I asked him about arnica (which I haven't used much yet as I wanted clearance) and he was unfamiliar, but said go ahead. YAY! On a lovely note-- pineapple goes very well with left over birthday pound cake and whipped cream....and I'm Chatelaine again so nobody to see me schlag on mienen Obers!! (slop on my whipped cream, loosely) (German speakers, did I get the conjugation right?)
I may swim but not in open water or take a jacuzzi/hot tub. YAY!
So long as I can drive safely and no drugs, give the old empty parking lot a whirl.
Have to take antibiotics for annual GYN visit-- who knew?????
I am safe to get hauled into court now-- I have my little silver card to protect me :snork:
Got rid of the white stockings and my toes are so very very thankful!
I'm allowed to try for getting on the floor....
I DID have a restriction, which NObody including OS said anything about:yikes: "What we're worried about is rotation of the hip" and he demonstrates a golf swing followthrough. So here I've been just moving as usual, which includes alot of swinging around on the op leg. OOPS! He said I may rotate it by muscle action while not having weight on it, but I need to wait 6-8 weeks (I hope he said weeks, I'll ask when I see OS in July) for the bone to grow in. I wonder if this means it's uncemented? i didn't think to ask till an hour later LOL.
He gave me a script for outpatient PT, and we were in perfect agreement about how best to use it without eating up all my PT benefits. I can learn about safe stretches and other good stuff from them, and I plan to use a facility in the same building as the 5-min-away YMCA. YAY! I can drive to that even on a little narcotics:wink:
A good day.
And last night, I decided at 4:45am to not wake up and take pills "by the clock" but sleep instead. there was no appreciable difference between having taken them and not having taken them. Probably time to cut back a little; yesterday i got a feeling I well remembered from 25 years ago :"This isn't fun any more, time to taper off". We shall see :)
 
ByGosh -- in The Hobbit, when all the dwarves come to visit Bilbo (at the beginning), they have this massive party with his entire larder, and then they do the washing up with much throwing and tossing and song and trickery. My memory of it is that the dishes helped some, and my memory of the recent movie is that Jackson played it that way. I would check it out except all my Tolkien is at the back bottom of a stuffed 5x8x8 storage unit. So, maybe memory serves me wrong on that...
 
zauberflöte Great report card there! Let's see if I got it right:
no more yucky stockings (yea! the smell was even getting to me) :sick:
you can go in the pool and even lay on the bottom of it because it's ok to get up and down
you can drive to the pool even if you're a teensy weensy high cuz it's right around the corner where PT is - but first you have to drive to the parking lot to practice driving to the pool high
it's ok to go to court which is good because the police are gonna see some spaced out looking woman with whipped cream all over her face driving to the YCMCA and stop her
you're wolfing down German pineapple with schlepping schlangan neinen caken creamen all uber it for bruises you got while trying again and again to lay down on the bottom of the pool but couldn't because you kept floating up to the top
for your check up with your gyn you need an antibiotic (I could make this one funnier, but it would be too tasteless)
and 'everything is in the right place' as far as your hip is concerned...(no brain xrays today, though)

Justkiddingit'sawonderfulreportyoudeserveabigroundofapplauseandI'mreallyhappyyou'redoingsowellandcanyoupickmeupanddrivemetotheYMCA,too?Ilikelivingdangerously... :rotfl:

No, seriously, good going! I'm really glad everying is fine. You're really doing great! Congratulations. It'll be wonderful to swim and I'm glad you can get rid of the stockings, I know they bothered you.
Also, I never heard about the antibiotics for the gyn visit, though, only the dentist. Thanks for that info. I'll have to ask my OS what's the story with that, don't want any infections!
 
ByGosh :rotfl: there is a movie scene in there somewhere. Marx Brothers maybe. Did you get one of those silver cards? It's right there in silver and black-- whaddya know? (I'd think all silver cards were created equal? I've read somebody else mention it on here...)
 
You got a lot of great stuff today, zauberflöte! And it's only two weeks. I feel you have done so much in that two weeks, too! (I didn't know about the gyno, either. I'd heard the dentist and anytime you get a colonoscopy--but my surgeon pooh-poohed the colonoscopy, saying it's no longer necessary to take antibiotics for that procedure.) So you're "uncemented," is that right? And how will you celebrate being rid of those horrid knee-socks? Can they be burned ... probably not, but that would be fun.

Now, as for this:

He gave me a script for outpatient PT, and we were in perfect agreement about how best to use it without eating up all my PT benefits.
Can you let me know how ... when you have time?

Congratulations on your two-week mark! When are you going swimming? :)
 
ByGosh oh credit, schmedit. They got a good deal at Ben Franklin on silver plastic that day....what color is yours, then?
Peaches it's odd, the card says sigmoidoscopy but not colonoscopy. You would think,,,, the further they go the higher the risk-- I'll be sure to find out in 10 years LOL. I don't feel I can celebrate for the tedHosen, some people have to wear them forEVER, and I didn't. (some people have to take shots AND wear them, i didn't...) So I'll just wash them and put them in my hankie drawer to wait for the other hip (which BTW doesn't like having its anti-inflammatory taken away!)
Ok, here was our thought on the OP PT vs health ins. And I think I'd read it here, but in our conversation he actually said it first. I get $1,000 max, which last year translated to nine visits I think. So what he said was, go for the first visit and get evaluated and a bunch of exercises. Do what you can at home, and then go back maybe once every other week twice for reinforcement or adjustment of exercises. he seemed quite a no-nonsense guy. I appreciated that!
I don't know if I'm cemented or uncemented! It just seems to me I read here (someplace on the thousands of pages we visit.............) somebody had an uncemented and they were cautioned not to twist. So I was drawing conclusions-- where maybe none lay to draw! I will ask him when I see him in July. :)
 
Chris, and ByGosh.....contradance? Did someone say contradance? I am an avid contradancer!!!! Not as active as I was before the hips sidelined me, but still at it. In fact, there's a wonderful dance weekend in Ohio that my SO and I used to attend every summer. But it's been 5 years since we've gone. And guess where we're going next month! Yes....to that dance weekend. Chris, am I understanding that you were a fiddler in a contradance band at one time? Which band? We used to travel all over going to weekends. It would be too funny if our paths crossed at a dance. And a fiddler....I revere fiddlers. Anyone can play the violin.....even me....I took lessons in 6th grade....what a disaster....but to be a contra fiddler....that is a gift.

Antibiotics for the annual gyn visit???? Now that's a new one for me. Too late....I've gone unprotected several times now; guess I won't worry. And I also had a colonoscopy since THR.....they didn't think I needed the antibiotic either. Just the dentist, and the podiatrist when he fixed an ingrown toenail.

sharon
 
Wow, ladies! I go to work for the day and you write a book!

Excellent two week report zauberflöte!

I do Ceroc dancing, well I did until about 3 years ago, when the hip started playing up good and proper. Looking forward to going back in another few months.
 
zauberflöte, the undies dance is impressive! I still put mine on while perched on my stinky toilet riser throne.
In reading about your current meds lineup, a thought just struck me: The two prescription aspirin a day I was taking until my six-week checkup two days ago meant I was getting additional pain relief from THAT, too. Duh. I kept thinking the aspirin were ONLY for blood clot prevention.
 
Hmmm, antibiotics for the gyn....? I'll ask next ortho visit. I've used antibiotics for the dentist and for my annual colonoscopy, except that this last year, both the dentist and GI doc said that after several years the antibx were no longer necessary. I skipped them for both those kids of visits (exams at both ends?) this past year....
I had not heard about the "twisting" thing, and I know I'm not cemented. (I'd heard this pop while twisting to put cream on my back, and told my OS at my 6 week visit, and he asked me if I could make it happen again right then..... and I twisted and turned but couldn't.)
 
Hi zauberflöte How are you doing today? We're all pretty happy that you got such a nice 2 week report yesterday.
I tried paddling around in the pool again today. (fingers crossed) It felt so good. You gonna love it when you go.

Songlady It's good news to me to hear that it isn't written in stone that we all need antibiotics for teeth and such for the rest of our lives. If some doctors say it's ok after a few years, maybe mine will, too. My hip is also uncemented. I read that the bone grows into the prosthesis to stabilize it, rather than the cement keeping it fixed. I hear that cemented hips can't bear full weight right away, but uncemented can...have you ever heard that, anyone? It's counter-intuitive to me, but so is life, sometimes...

sharonslp You contra dance now, after THR? That's impressive! I was thinking about it when zauberflöte mentioned it, and wondered if it could be done, with all of the leg movement and going round and round. I was wondering if the hip gets swiveled. But obviously, that's not a problem. How exciting that you'll be traveling to Ohio for the big contradance festival. What fun that will be!

Peaches Yes, I guess that's right about the aspirin helping your pain. It helps reduce inflammation, too.

octopus What is Ceroc dancing? That is one I've never heard of. Does it have anything to do with being a cephalopod??? :heehee:
 
ByGosh, last cleaning, my dentist handed me a printout of some new study about antibiotics and procedures, and it was a lot of jargon, but I guess the point was that it's not so clear the antibx are needed. I first omitted taking them for a cleaning because, frankly, I forgot I had an artificial hip! :blush:
My OS reported to me that the bone has grown all in and around my 3-year-old hip quite nicely. That is so cool!....

Glad to hear the pool felt good today!

I have never danced, but... if we wanted to start a musical group, everyone could buy instruments from Songboy at the store where he works! (ByGosh, that would be a large music store just on the New Haven side of the Parkway tunnel...! :whistle: )

Peaches, it is SO hard to keep track of This med, That med, This med for "x" purpose that, incidentally, also takes care of "y" purpose! Right, the aspirin probably helped your comfort in decreasing both pain and inflammation some!
zauberflöte, I did a new undies trick this morning. My grabber wasn't near so I hooked'em with my cane to help me get them on! (Trying not to cause a back spasm by pushing myself to do things normally.)
 
sharonslp yes contradance! Wow I'm excited you're going to the workshop weekend. Have some fun for me :) No, I'm not a fiddler, can't even draw a bow decently. I'm one of those "extra" instruments, the flute. All I know how to do is play the melody, which is often a wondrous challenge... I model my playing on the 45+ yr old band Canterbury Country Dance Orchestra, which is still playing around New England with its 80+ yr old leader/caller. Legendary Dudley Laufman....I only perform with a volunteer training band run by a local fiddler. He calls us (and you have to be local to get the joke) OBeX, for Open Band eXperience. "OBX" is what the nearby Outer Banks of North Carolina are called. Right. You have to be local LOL. He recruits students and adults, working at training the nextGen of contradance bands. It's working too-- often a string teacher will bring the whole studio, and then we are in for a wonderful ride!

octopus wow Ceroc looks wonderful-- I'd like to try that too, except unfortunately for the music if it's like what's on the website... OTOH I can listen to swing all day long-- so maybe there are oldies Ceroc clubs! My mom was a jitterbug champion in high school in the early 40's, it must be in my blood LOL.

Peaches yeah, I figured that out too. And the Celebrex+aspirin (+tylenol+percocet!) doesn't cut the mustard for my "good" hip which is objecting strenuously to being cut off from its ibuprofen. Here I thought I'd get to go off meds. HA!

Songlady I don't know! I composed an email to the nurse, laying out in a clear fashion my puzzled questions--- only to find out no, she doesn't have an email at work. So i have to try to put the puzzlement into a short phone message ("leave your detailed, non-urgent message here") tomorrow... I spent all day today trying to keep my right hip as a unit with my torso-- quite a challenge! Every move I make seems to rotate the hip! Argh!
I amm with you on the back spasm thing. Before surgery I was SO afraid that I was going to over-compensate for the groin pain by stretching too far and wrecking my back. Now I'm still concerned...sigh I like your cane trick-- I think I've read that on here before, too. You are in good company!
A few years ago my dentist told me the ADA no longer requires MVP patients to take antibx (oo that was fun antibx antibx antibx LOL) before procedures. They had always told me that flossing probably lets more bacteria into your bloodstream than any cleaning anyway! But they left it up to me, and I haven't heard tot he contrary from my cardiologist, and, its' cheap, it doesn't hurt, and why fix it if it ain't broke?
Bone grown LOL I can't wait to hear that!

ByGosh cephalopods can do Ceroc, certainly LOL look it up:rotfl: And so glad the pool was good today :) :) maybe you're getting over this thing the name of which shall remain nameless??

I put the clean dishes away today. I ran a load of towels, and put them in the dryer, where they remain. To do this chore i had to conquer my completely rational fear of the Deadly Two-Steps from the kitchen into the garage. The rise is about 9-10", and the tread is significantly shorter than my foot. And there are no railings. And everything is concrete or brick. So I had Mr ZF trolley the folded up but still 300+lb treadmill over to where it could act as a sort of railing. it's not perfect, but it's better than nothing! Also I swiffered the bedroom, the hall, the front entry area, and the dining room. That was nasty. This house collects dark gray dust from I don't know where, and of course it's High Shedding Season for the cats. I hope my asthma will be fooled into thinking that i have vacuumed, then swiffered, and then damp mopped all those floors. Swiffering is not on the activity progression, but as it's really just a very slow walk with poses along the way, i think we'll say I'm safe! And then..... I went out on the street about 5:00 and walked farther than I did the other day when it hurt. And what hurt? My "good" leg!!!!!! I was tickled. Hope I can still walk at 3:30am to get to the toilet on time LOL.
Hope everybody had a good day, and will have a pleasantly sleepy night! :)
 
I hope this survives the trip over from the knee side. I found it today by accident, and this guy is SO funny that I thought i'd ask him if I could post this. Not only is he funny, he's nice! (but what else do we expect here, right?) Thanks Recycled !!

When I read so many of these Post Op posts, I could just copy and paste one to the other. We all think our recoveries are so specific or unique, only to step back and realize (mostly after a reasonable amount of TIME) how routinely similar they are. So I'm gonna do some role playing here to point out a few of those similarities.
Me --> Just call me "Doc". I'm gonna be everybody's (fake) OS for post op.
You--> All you post op guys. (recent early on ones) Ok, here goes......

You-- I have this strange pain that is only on this one side and hurts when I bend my leg. wasn't there before. Also, I think I should be taking less pain meds, even though the pain has not subsided. Is that OK?

Doc-- Let me see...... Looks at Xrays. Looks fine. About the pain....you'll be fine. (looks down at watch. spent more time checking watch then looking at Xrays). See you in three weeks.

You--- (Ok, that took 3 hours, so now on the way home). I gotta remember to ask him if I can drive and start cooking again and taking baths and should I give up the pain meds altogether and work, oh yeah, work. I can't forget to ask about work. And that thing I read about how many degrees of ROM stuff. Am I at the right number? Where's a pen.

Three weeks later...... You--- Doc, I had whole bunch of things to ask you but I didn't have a pen. What's up with the knee? I think something is wrong. It still hurts and is real hard to bend. I try to do Yoga, but still can't. I stopped the pain meds and I'm tired all the time. I can't sleep. Is something broken in there....it clicks alot. I knew mine was going to not work right. blah blah blah........
Doc-- Let me see. Hmmm.....Everything is normal. You'll be fine. See you in 6 months.

Ok.......enough of that. You get the idea and no amount of silly role playing by me will change much of typical human behavior. (But I'm sure I'm spot on with the Doc's ). So, listen to you Doc, but heed every detail JO and all the other BoneSmarties tell you on here. Those details are what is going to make the difference in your recovery. I think the reason the Doc's don't tell you the useful stuff is because it's not in Latin. Your mind has a job to do and it's job is to make you concerned about every little thing it doesn't recognize. So retrain it to relax. Listen to me.....the Doc....."you'll be fine".
And Josephine's answer was that he was right about the Latin!!!:rotfl:
 
That's funny and cute, too zauberflöte - and now you're bringing in guest entertainers to us...how thoughtful of you! You know how we love a good laugh, thanks for sharing.
You did alot today. Good for you! Dishes, and laundry, and walking, and swiffer-picker-uppering...wow. I'm impressed, and happy that you're progressing so nicely. Being able to clean never felt so good, did it? :)
 
zauberflöte... Great report card, congrats!

A little information regarding pineapple... 'Pineapples contain a specific enzyme called bromelain that can help dissolve blood clots and fade bruising' however you would have to eat an awful lot to get sufficient bromelain. Pineapple is also an excellent source of vitamin C and manganese. It is also a good source of vitamin B1, vitamin B6, folate, copper and dietary fiber.... fresh is best :)

Arnica is definitely my choice for brusing :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom