THR zauberflöte's Magic New Hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zauberflöte, congratulations on your two-week anniversary. You seem farther along than that. That's a compliment. And you are so inventive, too, with your ice chests and who knows what else you have invented.
Thank you for your kind, supportive comments on my thread. I appreciated your unique point of view and hadn't thought about the subjective-objective aspect. Thank you for pointing that out. Have you worn out any more tennis balls today? I saw several walkers on the street today with worn-out tennis balls and thought of you....
 
I'm glad someone got my hedgehog joke, ByGosh!

Please help your son's girlfriend to see the error of her ways. I worked in children's publishing for 20 years and fought a one-woman campaign to have our artists portray animals as animals, not silly little dolls. One of the most dreaded tasks of the week in our office was sorting through the submissions sent by photo agencies in the category "Cute". Kittens in baskets, or tangled up in balls of wool, puppies with slippers, white mice in fairy carriages... Oh dear, oh dear.

Sadly, in the UK the hedgehog population is in decline. I don't think they are classed as endangered yet, but they are definitely a "priority conservation species". It's such a shame. Everyone seems to like them, and when I was a child they were very common. (Mind you, when I was a child, dinosaurs were very common...)

ZF: Are we to call you Liquid Hips Lil now? Does Mr ZF know how much time you spend rolling about in bars with strange men? Sounds like more fun that going to physio. Enjoy!
 
Hi....massage can encourage a blood clot ? I presume the os told u this.....r u predisposed ? I guess you must follow orders !
 
warm-up post: Just when you REALLY need a feet-up-with-ice sit-down, and are all settled, the cat brings in a meal. Not a hedgehog, but small and dark and thankfully not flapping or skittering or even squeaking. Crunch crunch crunch noises of playing with little dead beast. There will be a mess on the floor, and I will have to remember to warn the men, who are out braining sabertooth tigers for dinner. I wonder if they will be able to find the vegetable and fruit courses of the roast haunch meal.
 
Peaches thank you! I think I'm just at two weeks for me, right? Sombody else's two weeks will look like theirs, I guess. not wearing outt he tennis balls much these days-- the walker is strictly for going back to the bedroom at bedtime, and since I started this "bring a cooler to bed" regime, I probably could just carry everything in a tote. But I like that support of the walker at night-- sometimes I'm way tireder than I thought.
Had a little accident last night-- one of my alcohol ice packs sprang a leak in the middle of the night and gave me a lapful of ICE cold water! Then I was awake, you betcha!:yikes:
glynis I do apologize for not getting the joke-- and I've even heard it before! I blame the drugs... I think that's allowed. Liquid Hips Lil? Especially after last night's little leak episode, I think that's perfect! Mr ZF goes with me to the bars, he is known as The Virginia Gentleman, and people know I belong to him. Canadians bearing chocolate diamonds are just a little fluff on the side...
That's awful that hedgehogs are in decline-- is it loss of habitat? They are right at the bottom of the food chain, right?
TeeEm oh boy, jump right in! The more the merrier. Brownies and chocolate ice cream and diamonds fall from the sky with amazing regularity!
clifford149 the clot thing was the hospital nurses. They said I shouldn't massage anything at all in case a clot had already formed and I was pushing it higher. I have no special risk that I know of, but the risk is real, so I will take it to the OS PA tomorrow and see what he says. And you know? I'm so glad you mentioned icing the knee yesterday-- I haven't been doing that b/c the only time it really hurts is after I've been in bed. But I did ice it last night, it did not (as I had feared it would) cause leg cramps, and wow the next time I woke up it moved with no pain!!! Thank you! *effusive cyber hand shaking and presentation of a large bouquet of mature rhubarb with leaves on and a gold ribbon around*

Update on what the cat brought in. Mr ZF and ZK just arrived home from tiger-bashing and veggie harvesting, and they found most of a squirrel on the dining room floor. yummy. Mr ZF is having an education in how my life is while he is at work. Poor guy. We are very glad the cat didn't eat the whole thing, and we are even more glad that the squirrel was already dead. We think sometimes the young ones attempt a leap across trees and miss, and fall into a waiting cat's clutches while they are still disoriented....

End of Week 2 Update, if I can think of anything.
Meds: still taking 1 1/2 percocet and 1/2 tylenol every 6 hours. Also Celebrex once a day and aspirin twice a day. I know that both of those are helping with pain; will lose them both about the 14th of this month.
Skills: 1. i can put on my undies the usual way, standing on one foot at a time-- WOW! Although I do lean on something for the op leg going in. but op leg has enough balance to let me stand on it and take aim with other foot! That is pretty exciting. 2. I can rinse mouth after brushing the usual way-- i'm a faucet drinker from childhood. 3. working on the ballet barre plies and releves while flossing-- coming along. 3. Whipping through PT exercises i could do only slowly10 days ago. 4. got the food/meds relationship down pat, no more sick feeling with meds. 5. Spelling not improving, but fluent use of spell check is improving. 6. using walker for safety at bedtime, using cane to run interference while in house, but seem to be walking with a decent gait without it. I'm fairly certain that my surgery was straightforward, and I know that I was 'mobile-with-pain" before, not using any aids, so I am way ahead of anybody who needed aids before surgery...
Appetite comes and goes for wholesome foods, munchies come and go for snack foods, craving salmon and chicken (I don't EAT chicken!!) for protein. Giving in to craving...also for ice cream craving...sigh...
Mood unpredictable. I yelled at my mom on the phone half an hour ago, for using a non-preferred term for what we adoptive families call "biological children". i didn't have to be so snarky, did I. I apologized at once, and all is well, and she knows that I'm emotionally unstable right now. Also classifying self as schizoid: this morning while making a light-hearted post here, I was simultaneously reaming out the ZK for certain behavio(u)r. SIGH....somebody's got to be the adult around here, and it better be me!
This week, every morning when I got out of bed, I felt significantly stronger than I had when I got into bed the night before. I don't think this will be a daily thing any more. Stability, strength, and balance are all better than a week ago.
Going on a such length just in case it helps anyone coming along after me :)
 
You are making excellent progress! I don't think I conquered the undie thing for another week or so, I was still using the reacher stick.
 
zauberflöte, I am so looking forward to putting on undies without having to plan ahead what strategy would work best. Should I take aim with the good foot first and attempt to balance on the bad leg while it shifts and crunches? Or sit down and attempt to hook the undies under the bad leg and try to grab them to pull them up? Or maybe lay them on the floor and try stepping into the leg holes? It really takes up a great deal of my time trying to figure it out. And don't get me started on getting the blue jeans on! :rotfl:
 
Honey, I was talking to those who are only 2 or 3 weeks out! I think your case is a little exceptional and you have every right to be getting frustrated. Just wish there was something I could do to help!
Thanks very much Josephine. I really appreciate your help and support. Take care and don't work too hard. :)
 
@zauberflote, great update! sounds like you are making progress. I am finding I can do more each day but because of restrictions many things will just have to wait!
 
I'm glad someone got my hedgehog joke, ByGosh!
Yes, at least there are a couple of people around here with a sense of humor, (you & I) thank goodness...haha

And glynis, I agree with you about those 'cute little animal pictures'. I keep thinking that the creatures certainly don't like. It actually makes me sad and upset when I see them. I'm very much in favor of letting animals live their animal lives with as little human interference as possible.
It's a shame the hedgehog is becoming endangered. We don't have them here in the US, that I've ever seen anyway.

So do you think zauberflöte should change the name of her thread from 'Zauberflotes Magic New Hips' to 'Zauberflotes Liquid New Hips' ? She did sound a bit daring with her walking description. :)
 
zauberflöte, you are too much! I want to hear when you when you can play the flute while getting dressed and doing the ballet moves! (I realize flossing and flute playing won't go together.....)
I "can" get into my undies and jeans without the grabber, but because of the renewed back spasms in the morning I'm playing it safe and using the grabber. I am using the cane to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night..... and when I get up, if I see lights on downstairs, meaning Songboy is STILL UP AND NOT YET IN BED, I take the cane and go <POUND> <POUND> with every step so he knows I'm up and keeping an eye on him!
(And then I promptly go back to bed and to sleep...):sleep:
 
octopus sqwerlie ByGosh beckylou you all have to remember that i had anterior approach, and was given no restrictions. I cannot imagine doing any of this stuff if I'd had posterior.... at the 6 week mark, we're all the same anyway, right? :)
sqwerliegirl, I think you want to do a little more study of your teleportation curriculum... I forgot to mention that I have my undies psy-kinetically trained from infancy to come when and where i call them to! It's kinda like that scene in, oh what Disney movie was it where the dishes wash themselves?? Sleeping Beauty or Snow White? Oh and Peter Jackson got to do it in The Hobbit too. I wonder if Disney stole it from Tolkien..... LOL
 
Well Songlady and ByGosh it's not B and the B b/c I never saw that. I mean old Walt Disney animated classics. So it must be a trope if they use it there too. I think it's also in The Sword In the Stone....

@ByGosh-- couple weeks ago (which I just read) on Allycat 's thread, you mentioned how you met your husband at a contradance. I wrote this, and then decided to put it here:
you know, I almost cried when I realized I'd be able to dance at a contradance again, instead of just sit and play, and finally have to refuse even that cos the sitting was just too much. I cannot wait! This is a very active area for contradancing, you can get to 2 a month with no trouble, and many more sporadic ones. great bands and everything. I would have thought that "line dancing" is more what they do in Texas? "boot scootin' "? Will you go back to it when everything settles down? :)
 
zauberflöte Did you used to contradance, too? And play some of that great, lively music? How long ago did you stop? It's too bad that the pain became such an issue that you had to give it up! This OS pain (I assume that's what you had) is a thief, stealing away so much of our lives.
I haven't done it since my son was a little guy, and then only once. It was so much fun, though, back in the day. I'm not sure I'd go back to it - I don't even think that far ahead now, though because it seems an impossible dream for me. I'm just hoping to go for a walk with the dogs. But it was great exercise and I met so many nice people.
Speaking of dancing...
Are you thinking of Fantasia with Mickey making inanimate objects dance? Songlady Do you know it that's the one? The dishes may be washing themselves in that one. It's older than Beauty and the Beast. Isn't it one of Disney's first, before he started the Fairy Tale ones? Or maybe Snow White was. I'm getting cartoon confusion now!
 
Hi ByGosh, yes, Fantasia was early.... we had a copy of that at some point. I remember that from when I was fairly young. But Snow White was also pretty early for Disney, if I remember my animation trivia! lol The dishes washing themselves in Beauty and the Beast were probably styled on the Fantasia ones, don't you think...?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom