THR zauberflöte's Magic New Hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't feel up to having a vegetable garden this year and the work that goes into it like the planting that needs to be done now....:yikes: so I will stick with my flowerbeds and see if I can keep up with most of them. Once going back to work I don't know how much I will feel like doing any weeding and such but we'll see. If my weeds over take things, so be it for this year.
I feel the same, I sprayed the weeds before surgery, but the garden is now more over grown with them than ever. Thankfully it's winter and the growth should slow down. Hopefully another few weeks and I might feel like giving it a go. On the plus side, I got my fireplace fixed and we had our first fire last night.
 
octopus ahhhhhhh don't you love that fire!! Three years ago I cleaned our wood fireplace and said we shall not use it anymore because we are selling this house right away anyway. Well haha on me. Poor us-- no fire since then.... :( I will have yours instead! :)
 
octopus Whenever you talk about it being winter where you are, I'm still amazed. Then I remember that you are on the other side of the world from us! A fire sounds so warm and cozy - especially for you. We're sweltering in 90 degree heat here, and probably just as much humidity. Whew, it's too hot to handle.
glynis I love the name 'rhubarb fool'. I must check the recipe and see if there's anything foolish about it.
I don't have rhubarb growing, but I can get husband (or should I call him Mr. ByGosh? :heehee: ) to get some at the grocery store and then I can experiment... See, I'm no fool.:)
zauberflöte I think that clifford149 might be heartbroken, or upset at the very least, to learn that rhubarb is the new plum! Unless, of course, he has some growing in his garden - then we might even get a picture!
I'm glad you're not pigeon-toed anymore zauberflöte, and that your legs are now a matching pair. Rockettes, here we come!
 
Hi zauberflöte TeeEm is right plum crumble is as delicious as rhubarb with custard, vanilla ice cream or cream.My mouth is watering as I type.You are doing great using the steps like an adult I remember freaking out when I first did that for the first time. I was the same as you as I felt my right leg was longer than the left before the op and then was convinced this was the case after the op.It wasn't and both legs are the same length I know this as the physio measured them.I feel sorry for your lady cat living with 3 greedy boys LOL x
 
ByGosh I think your husband is Mr Gosh-- you see, you are "By" Gosh!:rotfl:
But oops, legs not a matching pair, and never were pigeontoed, rather turned out like a dancer but only a tiny bit. Now the left one turns out and the right one points straight... a mere quibble! :)
I think that clifford149 will have to deal with his broken heart, because I find growing in me a yearning for RHUBARB!!!
Kim22 I'm glad to find somebody else with the "leg longer" feeling! It seems like everybody I've seen here says that the bad one is or feels shorter! I have no idea whether they were the same or different length in reality, only what I felt and feel. Who cares anyway LOL? (Can you tell I just took percocet 15 in ago...lalallalalalalooloolooloolerlerlerlerlumlummmmmmmmm:martini: :loll:
 
octopus Whenever you talk about it being winter where you are, I'm still amazed. Then I remember that you are on the other side of the world from us! A fire sounds so warm and cozy - especially for you. We're sweltering in 90 degree heat here, and probably just as much humidity. Whew, it's too hot to handle.
/quote]
That is hot! We would rarely get that here, but it's been known to happen. We do have high humidity though, that makes it seem hotter.
 
octopus you said you have weeds growing in your garden and it's winter, what temps do you get in the winter? We are having winter here too....:loll:I don't think we're gonna have summer this year. We started out with temps in the 60's a cold front came through and we're down into the low 50's, it feels like we could get frost if it gets any colder. It sounds like the east coast is getting some warm weather.....send some back to us please:bow:
 
Hi sandybeach glynis ByGosh octopus Kim22 zauberflöte and anyone I forgot -
WOW, the rhubarb recipes look great! I am going to commit myself to trying one of them with our rhubarb! And - oooh, with custard...... yum! Around here things are served with whipped cream or ice cream usually, not custard. I'd LOVE the custard!!
zauberflöte, it's my op leg that feels longer. And 3 years ago it was THAT op leg that felt longer. I know the OS had said that because all the cartilage had worn away, so I figured that probably made the leg shorter...? So the new one felt longer? Or maybe it was the remnant of those first days of feeling as if the leg was a tree trunk....?
Goodness, octopus, I'd love to be cozy in cool temps right now!
 
octopus you said you have weeds growing in your garden and it's winter, what temps do you get in the winter?
Our average temperature in winter ranges from 8 to 15deg Celsius. Though it can go down to the early minuses. Other parts of the country are much colder. But I think a lot of the weeds have been growing since February, which was when my original surgery date was, and we have had really mild weather until this last week. It seems a bit much to be dong the garden just yet, but I might just start pulling a handful of weeds here and there.
 
My goodness, I had no idea rhubarb would be such a popular topic. We have a patch that's been here for who knows how long...we've lived in this house 27 years and it was here when we moved in. Can't kill it....I don't weed it, water it, cultivate it or anything. My kind of plant! I usually just make stewed rhubarb for Mr Sqwerl, I can't stand the stuff. :heehee: But those recipes sound so good, I just may have to try them!
zauberflöte, I have to put my pills in a daily pill box, otherwise I can't ever remember if I took them or not. Course then I run into the problem of forgetting to fill the pill box! I may have to get another one for after surgery meds. Then again, if I take them too often, it could be quite entertaining. :whistle:
 
sqwerlie ah stewed rhubarb, my kinda delicacy. You are so lucky to have an established patch. We bought our first suburban house complete with some mature and many baby azaleas, a huge thing in this neck of the woods. When we sold it 23 years later to move here, we had absolutely the most enchanting wild azalea park in our front yard. Buyers have since cut ALL the azaleas down, I could SHOOT them!! But it makes it way easier to be not nostalgic about that ugly little ranch house on the hill which I nevertheless loved...
 
Chris, that's awesome! Maybe I'll get lucky in two weeks, and get my own little video of whales doing the bubble net thing. :)

Sharon
 
sharonslp and zauberflöte I had never heard of bubble netting until yesterday there was a show on TV about whales and it showed them doing this. They will eat thousands of fish at a time by corralling with bubbles. It was really interesting. This site hits on all topics doesn't it?:heehee: sqwerlie I was with you as far rhubarb goes and not doing much with it until my mother-in-law gave me some really good ways to make it. The place we have lived for years never had rhubarb, I always got it from my mom or M-I-L but they have since moved from their places so that well dried up and my husband started a patch a few years ago. I would like to try to make wine from it someday.....it makes really good wine for those into wine making.
 
zauberflöte - wow, cutting down those azaleas! :hairpulling: I LOVE the wild ones. I had ordered a deciduous one, trying for a yellow or orange, and it's pink. Pink is lovely, but not as unusual as the yellow or orange would have been. Sigh.
I am not planting anything this year, but I DID "deadhead" my pansies some today - a first! Yay!!
sqwerlie, I have a daily pill box, also. It's for my "regular" meds, not what I'm taking post-op, since those are "as needed" for me now. The pill box system works well for me. I don't forget nearly as many doses as I used to!
 
sqwerlie Songlady zauberflöte Re: pill boxes - I inherited my M-I-L's very large, 4 section a day, 7 days a week pill box. I never thought I'd use it, but now....boy is it handy! Between the vitamins, the supplements, the stool softeners, and the as needed, it is much easier to keep it all in one place and keep track of it. 'Nuff said about that...
Winter temperatures? We can get zero and below, farenheit, that is here in the Northeast. Let's see, that's about -18 celsius (had to look that one up..) But my Mom lived in Vermont on the Canadian border, and when we visited one time it was -27degrees farenheit at night. It was sooooo cold, needless to say. We started my car without warming it up (I know, big mistake) and that was the end of that car. The oil must have been like sludge, or vaseline, or something equally as harmful to the engine. It was on it's way out anyway, it had over 100,000 miles on it, but still..I liked that car. @zauberflote didn't you go to school in Canada? I'm sure you've been in colder temps than that! So octopus your winter temps sound pretty good to me.
octopus I had to look up cephalopod, too. :) sandybeach Thank you for the bubble netting explanation. I will have to check that one on Youtube, it sounds fascinating. How very clever of those mammals!
 
sandybeach I've never heard of rhubarb wine-- I bet it's very, um... different? Can you describe the flavor to a newbie?

Songlady wild azaleas? Like mountain laurel? Different plant altogether although related, just as the rhododendron is. We have masses and masses of azaleas and of crape myrtles in this climate-- spring and summer are fabulous!

ByGosh I did, I went to school in Montreal, but I don't think it ever got to -27 there-- too much water. Snow, now, feet and feet of it! At the time I was in school there I was "from Vermont', the southwestern corner, what we called the banana belt. We did get below zero once or twice most winters ("most", I say-- I lived there all of three years before going to school...), but I don't think I have ever been to -27 there either. Sorry to disappoint... LOL
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom