THR zauberflöte's Magic New Hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
sandybeach rhubarb crumble is stewed rhubarb with a crumble topping, (rub flour and butter together to make a breadcrumb looking mixture, then stir in sugar), sprinkle over the fruit, bake in the oven and serve with custard. It's really yummy and a brits favourite and for you too octopus by the sounds of it!!
 
Littlejem we were posting at the same time..lol. So you cook the rhubarb and then put it into a baking dish and then put that topping on and bake? Is custard different than pudding? Sorry for sounding dumb but I'm not sure and it sounds really good.
 
If you've never had custard, you're missing a treat!! Proper custard is made from eggs, cream, sugar and vanilla, made into a thick sauce you pour over your serving of rhubarb crumble. We can also buy custard in tins or make it with custard powder, milk and sugar. All of this is served hot.
 
I have a rhubarb patch in my yard that my husband started, I will have to make rhubarb crumble and custard. He will be pleased that a recipe came out of my many hours on this site:whistle: It sounds delicious. Once I make it I will give you a report....:cheers:
 
Littlejem sandybeach It sounds like English custard is same as our pudding to us. And yes, it sounds sooo delicious. Now rhubarb I haven't seen in years, really. Except at the grocery store. I'm very impressed that you ladies garden it, cook it, bake it and everything. I wouldn't know what to do with it. But it does sound yummy, especially with custard. If I lived near octopus, I'd take her up on her offer for some of it and see what I could do with it.

Hey zauberflöte Is this your thread that the rhubarbers took over? LOL Any rhubarb recipes you want to share?? Or are you too partial to plums? LOL :heehee:
Seriously, how are you today? How are you managing on your own, without the Mr? I hope everything is going smoothly and you're doing ok! I know it's not always fun and games, and there may be times when you're in pain and not actually laughing, so let us know if we can be supportive to you, OK? You're just as important to us even when you're not making us wet our pants with laughter! :)
 
zauberflöte. Just caught up on your thread. When does Mr. ZF return?
FYI: don't have chocolate, a Canadian with diamonds or a rhubarb crumble and am feeling jealous! Adding strawberries to the rhubarb is pretty good, but I don't have them either. Feeling the need to go shopping. Hope you and the kitties are doing well.
 
ByGosh Songlady Littlejem glynis Liveringer sandybeach Peaches TeeEm Kim22 octopus LeeApril26
golly from snow to swelter to rhubarbers to solicitous caring all in one day. You guys are the best!!! I have been just fine, and have been on about 3 times already today, here and there. What, nobody noticed that they were talking to me?? Am i invisiblol???? :) mr ZF and the ZKid ought to be home by 9:30-- and hour from now, barring Friday night traffic. oh wait, it's Friday night. Well, anyway they will be home!
i have figured out today how to remember who all to tag when I start a mass reply. You quote a small bit from each person as they go by, and then use that as your cheat sheet, erasing where applicable. I feel quite clever...
It was kinda nice to have the house to myself, as then I don't have but 3 cats to worry about where they are going to pop out of next. I got PT and walking to the clock both days, and a little nap today too! :) I think i forgot to take my 4:30 pain med, but since I can't be sure, I'll just have to tough it out,. It is not bad really, so maybe I did remember and just never wrote it down.

I am very impressed that you have been fitted with a magic hip. I've asked around, but I don't think these are available yet in the UK. Did you have to pay extra for it? I suppose simple stuff like levitation is fitted as standard, but perhaps you have to request the top-of-the-range model for Frogs Into Handsome Princes, or similar more sophisticated applications?
Glynis, thank you so much for stopping by! I've missed your unique brand of laughs :) I may in fact wind up paying extra for it, I forgot to check with the insurance first... I didn't want F-I-H-P, so I cancelled that option, but surround-sound was only a little bit extra, so I went for it. Also an ever-fresh elixir for memory renewal is an add-on that I may go for in a week or two. Delivered by a Unicorn!!!!!!

I think if I had rhubarb right now I'd just make a sauce, to serve with whatever-- pound cake, a crisp or crumble topping (I tried it with custard once and found it too sweet. If i had some vanilla ice cream, it would go well on that. BUT. I'm not really up to cooking yet. I think I've been doing quite enough feeding the two male cats 3 times a day and the female whenever she wants, with all the shenanigans surrounding feeding her. Have to locate and lock up the boys or they will steal her food. i don't think 'm supposed to be "preparing meals for pets" just yet but I sort of counted it as "going to the kitchen for a snack". teaching the boys to eat on the dining room table so I don't have to lean over that many times...I got that idea from somebody, I really forget who, months ago.

I went up a step like a big girl twice today!!! Once accidentally, the next time on purpose. The third time i did that step, I toddled. But it was fun-- didn't hurt, and i was feeling good :) In other news, maybe the all-over swelling on my leg is going down, and I am left with this enormous goose-egg over the incision-- not painful, but I've been icing all day just right there, to no effect. Comments anyone? Incision looking good, but this goose-egg! Like I'd fallen on my head!
Not going to bed or even signing off yet, but goodnight to anybody who is! Sleep tight :):sleep:
 
Yes, I'd say that glynis wins the prize for her dry, sophisticated, understated humor. Which by the way, cracks me up nonetheless.
 
WOW That was a interesting ER visit. I am glad you got it fixed. Is your leg better? The cramps could be lack of potasium. Can't spell it but banana takes care of it. Also make sure you are drinking enough water. Thank you for coming to my thread. How did Church go? The first time I got out I felt great. I did hurt afterwords but it felt great. You did mention that you are hurting so maybe taking pain pills around the clock would be a good idea. I so understand wanting to be off them but if you do it too soon like I did with the first knee I got depressed and short tempered. The only good that came out it before I got back on them was I was living alone , so no one had to be around me. I hope you had a good weekend. Take care. Tashia
 
Gosh, ByGosh, what a lovely compliment. Thank you so much.

Before we leave the subject of rhubarb, no one has mentioned that great culinary classic... Rhubarb Fool. My mother used to make it. Sadly, she has now gone to The Great Rhubarb Patch in the Sky, and I don't know her exact recipe, but there are several ideas (and some interesting facts about rhubarb) at https://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/apr/12/how-to-make-perfect-rhubarb-fool

It is lovely served with ginger biscuits.

My mum also made Fool from that other great sadly-unappreciated garden crop: gooseberries.

Just thought I'd mention it.
 
You know what glynis I've never made a rhubarb fool but after reading that article I'm definitely going to try it, sounds yummy!!
 
Hey zauberflöte I would never remember to write down my pills so what I do is put them all in a pill pot for the day, then I know how may I've had and how many I can still take, also easy to take out with you. Glad you enjoyed being home alone for a bit, your own company is quite nice sometimes isn't it, only having to worry about yourself!! Well done with the stairs, I think we all do it first time by mistake but going down is certainly much easier than going back up. Swelling around the wound is going to take time to go down, and it stays in that area the longest, so as long as it isn't red, hot or very sore I'd say it was normal. :ok:
 
Keep elevating and icing hon if you have swelling.. and Magnesium is the mineral for cramps :)
 
ByGosh, Littlejem glynis Liveringer sandybeach Peaches TeeEm Kim22 octopus LeeApril26 @zauberflöte
I have one rhubarb plant in the garden - enough for a pie or two..... haven't picked or used any this season (not up to creative cooking!) It's in the same patch as my asparagus. The asparagus is hysterical: I have to check it every day (or send Songman out to do so) and we pick one or two or maybe three stalks.... and put them in a glass of water in the fridge. After a week, we have enough to cook! (And it's still amazingly fresher than what I buy at the grocery store.)
I'm not planting any other veggies this summer, so I'm glad I can enjoy these two things!
 
Ah aha... another veggie gardening enthusiast.. it is my passion...
 
Songlady I wouldn't feel up to having a vegetable garden this year and the work that goes into it like the planting that needs to be done now....:yikes: so I will stick with my flowerbeds and see if I can keep up with most of them. Once going back to work I don't know how much I will feel like doing any weeding and such but we'll see. If my weeds over take things, so be it for this year. I couldn't do anything in the flowerbeds last year either because of pain, I'm already ahead of the game this year by doing some weeding and today I am going to tackle another flowerbed. I think I will do some stretches and get out there soon.
zauberflöte ByGosh Littlejem Liveringer LeeApril26 glynis TeeEm octopus Peaches I made my mother-in-laws rhubarb tart, it's a little work but it turned out delicious. ByGosh if you have a little room, rhubarb is very easy to grow. I am going to try the crumble next.
 
Juat a short post, No Hippie Left behind (Americans, you may snort now) so nobody worries about me. Xcuse misspells, my glasses in other room.

The first time I got out I felt great. I did hurt afterwords but it felt great. You did mention that you are hurting so maybe taking pain pills around the clock would be a good idea.
@tahsia thanks! I am taking them bythe clock, and I think I just forgot towrite down that dose. Not trying to be a hero here :) Tonorrow is Sunday but I'm thinking that if I feel like it, maybe I should wait a week. taking care of the cats yesterday did me in and I'm upping the percocet LOL :)

what I do is put them all in a pill pot for the day, then I know how may I've had and how many I can still take, also easy to take out with you.
Littlejem well if I could remember to DO that, LOL..... My pill habit (and i take quite a few) has been for may years to do each batch as it comes due, and put them in little cases only when I travel. I'm only taking 2 pain meds, so they just stay by me. I like the writing then 76yuoops cat on keybd writing them down, that's what I've always done when a kid or hubby is sick-- keeps the schedule for ecah med for each kid (remember those days??) straight.

Keep elevating and icing hon if you have swelling.. and Magnesium is the mineral for cramps
Yup, doing that! :) Started back on my mag supp last week when I got home.

plum crumble is nice :snork:
you evil wman you.....I must contact clifford149 to tell him that rhubarb is the new plum!:snork:

Will be back later to cehck out all these recipes-- people should also post them on the recipe thread in Social!! :)
 
I keep forgetting this! For years, probably decades, I have walked with a slight "duck-foot" turnout, one leg more so than the other, but now I can't remember which was which. I always thought that it was either left over from my adult ballet days, or just me. Well....... OS fixed the right leg for me LOL. It feels no different, but one day this week I looked down and saw that the right foot was pointing due north. So. Will have to find out if I need to work on this or if he worked on it for me! I may have mentioned, here or elsewhere, that my feeling (for months, 6-9 maybe?) that the right leg was a good bit longer-- as in, if I stand on it the left dangles--- continued after surgery. My notes say that OS told me he left the leg the same length. So I paid attention to the fact that it no longer hurt to bring my legs together, and now I don't perceive but a skootch of difference, which I expect will go away while I'm not looking. Cool stuff! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom