TKR Zakie's TKR Recovery Thread

I have found that it's not easy to find the balance between moving too much and irritating your knee and moving too little and irritating everything else. I am trying to listen to my body throughout the day and moving enough to avoid hurting other body parts. My shoulder and elbow were hurting and it took me a day or two to realize that I was leaning on them too much in the recliner. Once I was aware, I avoided doing that and the pain is gone.

I also agree that we tend to stress other body parts while trying to protect the knee. Being aware, taking it slow, and of course elevating, icing, and resting will eventually fix the problem, I think. I hope that your day tomorrow starts out much better after all your rest today.
 
Thanks Sandi, completely agree!!hubby is back at work at tomorrow, so have been getting organised.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So we have had heavy rain with thunderstorms constantly for 24hrs. Drop of 16degrees in temp from yesterday to today.. another reason I think with the ache, pains and swelling.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm sure you are right. I know my body reacts to the weather, especially my knees! Glad you are getting organized, I know you will do great. Just be careful to not overdo :) I find I tend to push myself a little too much when I am alone, probably from boredom, or maybe because my daughter isn't reminding me to take it slow when she's not here :)
 
Yeah I said to hubby tonight I'm going to miss you being around.

Yes will definitely need to remind myself not to feel guilty of nothing being done around the house. It can wait. Little steps.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Celle thank you for posting that link. Definitely has made me look at my recovery in a different light.

Also I need to remind myself that i have 3 embryos in the freezer that need to come home. So I need to do right by them.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Went to doc today, as still feeling awful.. I have a chest infection and my asthma is playing up. Hopefully once the antibiotics kick in, I'll start to feel better.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh my, I pray the meds knock these illnesses right out! It seems like with our bodies already down from our surgeries, we can catch every thing that comes along. Have a much better day!
 
Oh my goodness Zakmick, you have had a time of it. I hope and pray that the antibiotics work quickly and you start feeling good soon. I'm glad that you realize how important it is to take care of yourself without guilt. Hold onto that as you start to feel better. Remember this period of time is all about you and your baby knee. I hope your first day alone went well and that tomorrow is even better. (hugs)
 
Zakmack I hope your feeling better today! Take good care of yourself!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks for the well wishes girls, hopefully in a day or two I'll turn the corner. Still feeling very average and the antibiotics and I suppose the illness have made me incredibly tired. All I've done is sleep today after 7hrs straight last night (yippee!) . Currently on the move and doing exercises but needing to rest in between.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Honestly, sleep the day away! Your body is recovering from a traumatic surgery and fighting an infection. Most don't notice much of a difference until after a month post op and sometimes 6 weeks. I did feel up to doing a few things around the house at 4 weeks but in small intervals with the majority of my time resting/elevating.
 
Glad you got some sleep! It's the best thing for you right now. I do believe you will turn that corner in a day or two and then start to see gains in your recovery again. Hugs to you :)
 
I did one lot of exercises today and fell asleep in the middle of doing them... lol...no more exercises today, body saying rest....so now I've been icing and sleeping and a little walk here and there.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks ladies looking forward to turning that corner x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@zalmick, I think your body is telling you to sleep . Your knee will still get exercise with normal ADL. Enjoy all that sleep you are getting and I hope you get well soon!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sleep, sleep, sleep all you can! Your knee loves it!
 
I did one lot of exercises today and fell asleep in the middle of doing them... lol...no more exercises today
Don't worry about doing the exercises. As Debby says, you get your exercise in your normal daily activities. Your body needs rest and sleep right now and you really only need a little exercise, to rehab your knee.

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM, it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.
 
Back
Top Bottom