Guest viewing is limited

TKR Zakie's TKR Recovery Thread

It's perfectly normal to be wobbly when you first stand up. After a few steps, that usually goes away. As you strengthen those muscles that wobble will go away!
 
I'm still struggling to get my quads to engage and I can't do any leg lifts yet, still needing a support or use of my other leg. I have very long legs 6ft1in is my height, so maybe more leg to lift lol

@sandi4213 a cane? That's awesome you're my idol lol

I've looked again at the activity progression chart and I think I'm not walking enough?! Obviously getting walks in to the toilet, kitchen, lounge etc and a few trips up and down hallway but not consistent 5-10min walks. I've been focusing on trying to elevate, ice, rest to get the swelling down.

I have depression and anxiety too from infertility and I was seeing a psychologist or a psychiatrist alternately every 5weeks to keep my head in check.. I'm on medication. I'm booked in to see them next month. Worries me that the negative thoughts of being critical of myself are creeping in but zeroing in on another part of my body that doesn't work.

I'm a complicated soul lol

I think though writing this here is making me reflect and seriously think about things. So it's good I'm aware.

Thank you so much for listening/reading my bizarre thoughts. It's amazing how pain, inability to do something you could do easily beforehand makes you reflect or regret.

I co run an all abilities basketball program that has varying degrees of disabilities and ages. I look at them and think how strong, confident and how they take life by the horns... need to take some pages out of their books.

Thanks in advance again


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'd love some of your long legs! Depression or the blues is very common during TKR recovery. I believe there's a thread in the social room where people have posted about their experience. The blues were quite bad for me after the infection and second surgery, but my faith got me through. I'll see if I can find the thread and post a link for you.

In the mean while I have a suggestion for the quads/leg lifts as they were difficult for me as well. I began using my leg lifter to help me do straight leg lifts, using my arm power to pull the leg up. As time went by I used less arm power and more quad power until I was using nothing but leg power. If you don't have a leg lifter try a towel, scarf, or belt.
 
Good idea @KarriB. I used a belt for about two weeks, then all of a sudden, I could do it!
Were you able to lift it in the hospital? I did the first day and was so excited. Of course, I was still numb from the surgery! When that wore off, so did the ability to lift that leg. Don't worry, your quads will come back when your knee is read for the to come back. Do what KarriB said, and start using less arm power or other leg power gradually and then all of a sudden you'll do it!
 
Thanks girls I'm using a scarf and have been doing extra leg lifts with this, glad I'm doing the right thing then, as just started that yesterday.

No I couldn't do any lift at hospital had to use my other leg.

I'm hoping it will all of a sudden just work **happy dance** lol


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My rehab PT said my quads needed to wake or remember what they were supposed to do, so using a scarf or leg lifter will help those quads to wake up.
 
That reminds me, I have an inexpensive dog leash that I got when I was in PT years ago. I am going to stick it in my handbag so I have it with me.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks, I keep forgetting about the cane


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think @Pumpkln has an exercise that sometimes help the quads to engage. Am I correct that the church pew exercise can help with quads, Chris?
 
Yay!!!! I lifted my leg about 2cms, on my own. Had the towel rolled under the knee. OMGosh I let out a cheer lol


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
zackmick,
Happy to hear your quad has started firing, the church pew exercise will help facilitate your quad, and normal movement.
Follow this link, the video is about half way down the page.
https://www.cyberpt.com/ohalloranquadricepchurchpew.asp

Recommend you start with doing the church pew exercise 2 - 3 times once or twice a day. If you do as many as the video recommends you will be very sore. I learned this the hard way, better to take it slow.
 
@Pumpkln thank you! That's a very interesting article and such a simple exercise. Are you saying only do the sway 2-3 times once or twice a day initially and work up to the 2mins? I had to look at another video as the one in the article you posted wouldn't work.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yippee! The quads are firing! You've made a big baby step! It'll be fine from here on! @debbyS, I also used my cane to prop my legs up on. It works really well when there's nothing else around to use.
 
Are you saying only do the sway 2-3 times once or twice a day initially and work up to the 2mins?
Yes, go slow, otherwise you will over do and be very sore.
I had trouble with the video on my iPad, but it was OK on my laptop. Glad you found the video elsewhere.
 
Yea! Making progress! Stay positive and know we are all pulling for you!
 
Question: is it better to use heat or ice packs on calf, ligaments connecting at knee?
I'm doing lots of stretches and icing this area but it seems to be having no effect. Thought maybe a heat pack might be more soothing and relax the muscles etc


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Don't use heat directly on your knee. It will cause more inflammation and swelling. I'm not sure about heat on the other parts. One of the other advisors that has more knowledge will answer that for you. @Jamie, what do you think?
 
Back
Top Bottom