TKR Zakie's TKR Recovery Thread

@zakmick, sorry you are having such a bad day. I am a firm believer in the fact that your body knows what it needs, yours needs to rest. So spend the rest of the day resting . I nap or two works wonders for me.
I am not surprised that your ROM has slipped. Swelling will do that. Your ROM will come back.
Now for myself, I am going to take my own advice and kick back in the recliner and rest!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Really all you should do for the first month is rest, ice, elevate and not feel guilty about it. Everyone is different, I didn't have the blues until month 2, but I cried every single day. It's perfectly fine to still be taking full measure of meds at 2 weeks, you won't feel a lot of difference until week 3 or 4. I threw my first meal into a crock pot at the beginning of week 4, but even after that I didn't take meals on full time. The day after that crock pot meal a friend made me dinner. This is a long recovery, so don't put expectations on yourself, just go with whatever the knee says.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Why are you worrying about PT being disappointed? You don't have to please anyone but yourself and your knee. I think you are doing way too much. Follow the activities schedule and the guidelines on here. Crying is cleansing, both physically and emotionally! Go for it and don't feel bad about anything you can and can't do. I know, that's easier said than done, but this is a huge challenge! And you can do it! Just try to realize that you are not alone. We have all been there and are pulling and praying for you! Come here and vent. Someone will always be here to listen to you and try and help you. (((hugs)))!
 
Thanks sistersinhim, debbyS, KarriB, LindaO, sandi4213.

I spent the afternoon sleeping and woke feeling stronger. The limited sleep had definitely caught up with me.

That guilt feeling is hard to overcome but if I don't spend this time getting better I'll take longer to recover. Thanks for listening always xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
We're here to listen! I can relate with your guilty feelings. My rtkr was on June 2nd. On the Saturday before July 4th, my friend came by and asked what we were going to do this weekend. I was still on the walker and sleepless, for the most part. I hadn't even been back to church yet, and she's wanting to go off and camp or kayak or something. I busted out crying. She had been picking up my meds for me and bringing me some food and really trying to help and I couldn't go off with her so she could enjoy her weekend. I felt awful. She said she was just kidding, but I didn't take it that way. And then a couple of weeks later I tried to prepare the lesson for my SS class, but couldn't concentrate enough to do it. I had to ask my backup, at the last minute, to please take it over for me again. I cried over that. It seems the emotions are all over the place after this surgery. So, please try and not feel guilty. You have only one job right now, and that is to heal! Good luck!
 
@zakmick
Please don't use multiple tags in your posts. It makes it hard for people reading on phones and smaller devices to see the rest of your post, because the tags fill up the space.
The people following your progress are going to see your messages anyway.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

I will remove the tags from Post #84.
 
The lack of sleep certainly adds to the emotional ups and downs. I'm glad some sleep has helped.
 
Is there anything better than lots of sleep?:heehee: In two weeks I'll be gladly cat napping my days away. Your body is just telling you to slow down a bit. Try to expect that you can have some down days. That way you won't get thrown when it hits.
 
Admin could someone add a signature for me, I'm only accessing the site via my phone and I can't without how to do it?!

RTKR 20/3/2017


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I can't believe it's been 16 days... time has flown.

Pain is starting to settle, I'm taking mersyndol forte now 6hrly and if that doesn't work then I take an endone.
Still on Targin (oxycodone/naloxone x3 a day) but I'll start dropping that to 12hr and see how I go....as traditionally this medication is given 12hrly but because I was in so much pain they moved me to 8hrly.
Car rides still hurt and I can't bend the knee far enough to sit in the passenger seat yet, so have legs stretched out on backseat. Was thinking today, can't even imagine when I'm going to be ok to drive?!
Still plodding along, hubby thinks I'm getting better walking with crutches... and I do too but that first step with them is always hard. Does anyone else get the wobble sometimes in your leg, mostly when I'm dressing myself or just got up from toilet I get when not using the crutches ? I know it's lack of muscle control, it's just a weird sensation..
Hope everyone is doing ok


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Celle thank you... I suppose I can't see it being on the phone


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes, you're correct. You can't see (or make) the signatures on a phone.
 
I often couldn't see that I'd made progress and had to be reminded by hubby. It is such a slow process when you are living it. You will be surprised at how far you will have come when it's six weeks post op and you get the ok to drive. Hang in there, this is a marathon not a sprint.
 
Yes, feeling wobbly is to be expected. As your soft tissues heal and muscles begin to support the knee the Wobblies will be less. But for now at 16 days, continue to rest, ice, elevate. The activity progression chart will help you know when to start more activity and how to balance that in a few weeks.
 
My OS released me to drive at 6 weeks, but I still wasn't comfortable doing it, so I waiting until my seventh week. As long as you can do a panic stop and are off of narcotics, you should be OK. I had a friend drive me to an empty parking lot where I took over and practiced to make sure I was OK. You are way too early to think about driving now, but you will be ready before you know it!
 
I am walking with a cane now and still every time I stand up my first step or two is wobbly. I figure as my muscles get stronger, that will fix itself. DebM is right about not seeing the progress as well as someone else watching you. My daughter is always pointing out how much more I did or how much better I did it. It's encouraging:) I bet that in another week you will be amazed at your progress.
 
Day to day progress is difficult in this recovery. It's much easier to see changes week to week. Think back to last week and what you were able to do compared to now.
 
Back
Top Bottom