TKR Zakie's TKR Recovery Thread

Please don't wait too long to see a doctor about your knee. Green ooze is not normal. Don't put it off. And please know that you have a ton of people on here praying for you!
 
sistersinhim, debbyS, SusieShoes

Thanks girls, just waiting to a decent hour to call OS and ask which hospital is the best I should go to or he can visit me at?!

Can you tell me when the dressing came off how swollen were your knees, any redness and have any become so swollen they're actually hard to touch?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@zakmick, no, I didn't have that kind of swelling. Are you elevating and icing enough? That would certainly help. Remember they say toes above the nose. So, be sure to get that knee way up to get that fluid to your kidneys. Please let us know what's going on. We care!!
 
@zakmick I am so sorry. I have been hoping that your recovery has gotten going well. I will be praying for you. No matter what it is, I know you can make it through. Please let us know what the doctor says.
 
Thanks girls, just waiting to a decent hour to call OS and ask which hospital is the best I should go to or he can visit me at?!
Don't wait too long. It's important that you get treatment started as soon as possible. Does the hospital where you had your surgery have an ED? If so, go there.

Make sure that a swab is taken of the green discharge. That really should have been done before you started on antibiotics.

Don't wait around because it's the weekend. You need to get your leg treated as soon as possible.
 
@zakmick, I am not a medical professional but agree with Celle that you need to be seen as soon as possible. We do care and we will all be sending good thoughts your way.
When you can, let us know how you are doing.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I didn't want to trek into ED without having someone else look at the wound (the oncall doctor just wrote a script last night). Got in to my regular doctor and he said the staples need to come out, the skin is growing over the top of them and making the wound inflamed, no sign of green ooze. So staples are out, wound cleaned and redressed and on two different types of antibiotics, doesn't want to take any chances. The wound looks quite good, not angry inflamed looking. Hubby has a pic on his phone so I'll post it when I get home. So home I go to ice, elevate and rest.
Scar feels not as pinchy now.... there were 50+ staples in there!!!crazy!!
I'm not feeling feverish, no headaches, sweats or anything like that so believe seeing my doctor was the right call. Still booked into see OS Monday at midday.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Celle no ED at hospital I was at and the nurse today said they would of taken a swab if there was green ooze.

And crazy that the number I rang for my OS was a switchboard giving me the mon- fri number for my OS. Asked for an after hours number but said she didnt have it. So why then have someone answering a switchboard if it's just to do with mon- fri, seems a ridiculous use of someone's time?!

So I haven't chatted with my OS but trust my gp judgement


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm glad you saw someone, Zakie. It's wise not to delay with these signs.
I'm very glad you have an appointment with your surgeon on Monday. Do let us know how you get on.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Zakie's TKR Recovery Thread



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app
 
@zakmick I am so glad to hear that things are not as bad as it sounded at first. The picture looks good, you must be very relieved. Take good care of yourself and that baby knee.
 
Glad you are feeling a bit better! Incision looks pretty good! Sorry you have had such a journey! Keeping you in prayer!
 
Thanks @LindaO, this is one journey I wanted to go smoothly, fx that's the direction we take now


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh, that photo looks really good! Everything looks nice and dry! What an uplifting picture. I'm so glad things sound just fine! Keep us posted!
 
@zakmick, so glad this turned out better than was thought. Must feel great to have those staples out. Knee looks great.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Feeling really flat today!!....

So today OS is happy with my wound, doesn't feel like there is anything sinister going on. He has taken me off the antibiotics as he said if there is an infection oral tablets won't do anything.
I've gone backwards the last few days though, as PT only wanted quad strengthening and no bending exercises till I got all clear from OS. ROM I know isn't 85 where it was when I came out of hospital.
And then last night I had spurt of energy and felt I needed to contribute around the house, not that hubby has insinuated this at all - more the opposite..... but I changed the bed linen on our kingside bed, he was washing the cars so didn't see me doing it. So I joined the ODIC club again. Within 30mins of changing the bed, leg was swollen, felt like a sausage. So I've been elevating, icing and resting.
Is there such a thing as too much resting????
And should you go to sleep with legs elevated?
Well today I woke up and I just knew it was going to be a bad day, migraine, body just sore, and feeling the bruising more today on my calf and knee ....swollen.
And tears! Geez I'm crying again. I was trying to get up from the couch, I do this many times a day and my leg just wouldn't move!! I was getting so frustrated and just burst. It was so silly and I know it's only 2 weeks today but this recovery thing is hard. Still having to take all my meds, I feel like Im building a tolerance to them though and they aren't as effective or maybe they haven't been effective?!
Sorry for venting... just having a blah day, I'm hoping I wake better.
However then I'm worried I haven't got really any accomplishments to show PT.
Boy! I'm down on myself today. Hubby has been trying his best to make me feel better and trying to get me to focus on the future, but I'm just a misery guts.
I know my realistic, logical side of my brain knows this is temporary but today I can't see that light in the tunnel...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh, zakmick, it sounds like you really had a rough day. I know some times it is hard to see the light at the end through the current fog, but it is still there. Just a few days ago we were all so worried about infection, and that has turned out just fine. You really need to focus on this moment and what is best for you and your knee. I won't say you should have known better than to make the bed at this early stage, but..... :) I believe that in a few days you will be wondering why you were so upset, because things are moving right along again.

I don't think there is such a thing as too much rest at 2 weeks out. I have worried that I am never going to get my strength and stamina back, but then I try to remember that if I rest when my body wants to I can feel when it is time to get up and move. If I try to do too much at once, I set myself back again and have to work on the pain and swelling all over again. The only actual "housework" I have done is to fold some laundry that my daughter washed and dried and brought to the couch. After I folded it, my granddaughter put it away for me. It felt good to do a little something, and I'm glad I had the sense to not do more. If you are at all like me, you have been taking care of people all your life and need to learn to be taken care of. It may be the hardest, but best, lesson I have had from this.

Take care the next few days, cry when you need to, baby your knee, and know there are people here praying for you and believing in you.
 
Hey guys i am having surgery tomorrow on my knee and I have a scratch on the leg they are operating on, will this prevent my operation from going ahead?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thinking of you and hope you have relief soon!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom