TKR Zakie's TKR Recovery Thread

Soooo does anyone have a foam mattress topper/ tempur mattress, those ones that mould to your body? If so how did you go after your operation?

We have and I'm struggling to move in it. Can't do my exercises in it either...My butt sinks and my legs
I went and sat in the bed in the spare room, much better, hubby was saying maybe we could swap the beds around?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I still do exercises on my tempur mattress in the spare room, the floor is too hard for me. But I've never slept on it.
 
I was hesitant about doing any physio today before I left the hospital but the physio insisted.
It is your knee and you could have and still can say, "No."! The day after my surgery, the hospital PT started to touch my ankle to increase my bend and I flat out told her, "No, I will be in control of my knee". She said that she was going to tell on me and I told her to go ahead. Now, is that childish or what!!? My OS never said a thing about me not taking PT. He was very happy with my progress, and I never had PT! You don't have to have to take it either. Your knee and body know what to do! After your mishap, your knee will need lots of days to recover. Don't let anyone, including yourself!, push you into doing what you know you shouldn't be doing! You know how your knee feels, not anybody else. Pain is a warning sign that your knee is inflamed and swollen. Don't push it! It will rebel and it's not worth it. It will slow you way down in the long run.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
We have a temperature sensitive mattress. I do my exercises on the couch, though. I like the mattress when I'm sleeping these days because I don't disturb my husband when I readjust my position and the pillows.
 
It is your knee and you could have and still can say, "No."!
That's right. It is your knee and you are in charge of its recovery. It's your job to look after your knee and to speak up in its defence.
Throughout your recovery, remember that it is your recovery and your knee. You are the boss. Other people can advise and recommend, but it is your right to choose whether or not to accept that advice.
 
Thanks ladies I think he realised the limited movement and the increase in swelling when I started doing the exercises. He cut short the session and we chatted about how to exercise if I'm swollen, elevation etc.
I've decreased the exercises today just doing more movement ones. I've started elevating too, as that was a big no no in hospital.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The majority of my days were spent elevating, icing, resting in that first month. The swelling should lessen once you begin to spend time elevating.
 
@KarriB it's amazing how much swelling has gone since elevating at home. I have an ankle back.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I know! My leg didn't like being down at all! I was elevating right through month 3 including church, restaurants, and visiting friends.
Keep it elevated and try to follow the activity progression chart, it is written to keep the swelling down. Less swelling = more bend.
 
It's so good to hear your success at getting your swelling down. They should help lower your pain, too! Keep it up, along with icing, as much as you can. You'll do great then!
 
Elevation is the key since the fluid in your leg will move back into your system. It's gravity that is at work here. If your leg is down it goes there. If your leg is level it goes no where. In the beginning lots of ice and elevation is the key. As time goes on it will start to swell less.
 
Had to go to doc today as I wasn't sent home with enough painkillers and I needed an injection ( I'm in the middle of getting injections to desensitise me from pollen, animal hair etc need to have this injection weekly).
Doc was wonderful loaded me up with pain meds. Now I'm sitting with my leg up in the backseat of the car, waiting for hubby to come back from chemist. So uncomfortable, just want to get home!!! So many speed humps and road works to get through before we get to our house though.
I have the home PT coming tomorrow, geez I hope I like her. Spoke to her briefly on the phone today and she was mostly concerned with me keeping up my pain medication.
Sleep comes and goes but doesn't seem to be effecting me as much as in hospital...yet.
Hubby is being amazing!

Ok I'm finally home, laying in bed, leg elevated with ice. It's amazing as you tire that different parts of your body start hurting..

Speaking of sore, my hands from using the crutches and getting me up and down from sitting positions are so tender!

And I've noticed I'm expelling more urine, that must be the swelling going..yes?!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
As the extra fluid in your knee and leg are reabsorbed into your system you can need to urinate more. I found getting up every 1to 2 hours during the day worked for me.
 
@zakmick, Glad to hear your recovery is coming along so well.
Last night was the first night I did not wake up every hour Or two to use the bathroom. Last night I slept for four hours before getting up. It was like heaven.
Good luck with PT. When do you start ?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm happy to hear things are going well, especially that hubby has been great. It sure makes a difference to have someone to help. Good luck with the PT, I am very happy with mine so far.
 
Yesterday I had the PT and she was great, felt very comfortable with her. Would rather me do less exercise currently while knee is still so swollen.

Nurse came today to remove staples but instead they're staying until I see surgeon on Monday, she fears it's could be infected as there was some green ooze coming from it.... oh no!!!! Not stressing, will wait to hear what surgeon says Monday. And if it gets worse over the weekend will go to doctor or emergency.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Had an oncall doctor come tonight as didn't want to get in the car again unless it was urgent, he has given me a script for antibiotics but would like me to go an ED tomorrow for an OS to look at the knee. The knee is warm, swollen, stab like pains, stiff and red.
I have an after hours number I'll call in the morning to enquire from my OS which hospital is best for me to go to and to ask his opinion.
Really annoyed that this has happened or is happening. Hubby and I just had words, his comment was if it was to happen to anyone it would be you! Like I have control over this!!! Grrrrrrrrr!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've been following your recovery and am so sorry to hear you're having this trouble. I was so happy when you got your ankle back. Sending healing thoughts and hope this is just a bump in your road.
 
@ zakmick. I am sorry [emoji52] to hear of your Infection. Hopefully it was caught early and will clear up soon.
Great news that you like your PT so much. I know you were concerned about this


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom