TKR Zakie's TKR Recovery Thread

Will try this Deb thanks x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Are you still having swelling? Be sure to ice and elevate still - I feel a better bend when I have the least amount of swelling (mornings, lol). I'm assuming no resistance on the bike, correct? That would be good (no resistance). I feel the swelling in the back of my knee (it's filling up the Baker's cyst I have back there) - That's what I think prevents my bend from going any further. You are still very early in your recovery and that knee has a lot of bending still in there so be patient, it will happen. :)
 
A correct stride is good for both bend and extension. I found that if I took really long strides, while holding on to the walker, and watched my gait, both of mine improved. After all, the knees are made to walk with!
 
Thanks girls. I've been pushing my stride the last few days to mimic my usual stride just nervous doing this with the occasional knee buckles.

Yes still having moderate swelling at times, so I elevate and ice a few times a day.

I beat my best time on the bike today 1.6km in 5mins, the day before it 1.2km in 5mins... so slowly getting stronger on the bike [emoji16]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My ROM is a little better than yours but I still feel the tightness and swelling. When it's the worst it's still feels squishy instead of just tight. I'm still also very tight right above my kneecap. That seems to be where most of my swelling settles in.

I've been riding my stationary bike as well and then just trying to walk more and more. I so feel a tightness in my hamstrings and tendons in the back. I know that keeps me from bending it more for sure.
I'm constantly stretching and massaging them.

Sounds like we are just about in the same place surgery buddy:friends:
 
It does @flyaway79...yes at the worst it's squishy here too and I can feel the ligaments moving around and flicking over the bones (if that makes sense?) in the fluid when I have done too much.

Majority of my swelling is to the outside of the leg near knee cap and above calf muscle behind knee.

I feel more confident on the bike than walking long distances as my ankles are starting to hurt with the different style of walking I assume.

I really need to go walking in the pool!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It does @flyaway79...yes at the worst it's squishy here too and I can feel the ligaments moving around and flicking over the bones (if that makes sense?) in the fluid when I have done too much.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

That makes total sense and you described it perfectly!! Weird feeling.
Glad I'm not alone :chinstroke:
 
The tightness in my hamstring and my calve is definitely holding me back from bending, it hurts so bad when I try to bend my knee. I think my ROM is still about 110 too:( I have an appointment for a massage to work on those muscles on Tuesday. I am having terrible cramps in my foot too but I think it is because of the muscle tightness.
So I think we are all doing about the same. Have a Great weekend Ladies:flwrysmile::friends:
 
Good to read it went well.
I'm hoping to fly for a week to London in mid September. That would be 3 and a half months post op.
But we have a much bigger trip planned in early November. That would be first 2 hours then a 10 hours flight. That would be 5 (and a bit more) months post op. I wonder...
@VW54 Wear some normal light duty, knee high compression socks on the long flight. I had them on for a day each way flying down to South America. Mine look like "normal" men's crew socks but they are not as torturous as the hospital issue.
 
Sooo I still have to balance out my days. Yesterday I cleaned the pantry & did the washing. Not much I thought. However today the whole leg not just the knee was so fatigued plus my good leg and the knee was swollen and stiff. Had to cancel an apt in the city, as just didn't feel confident driving that far. Would of been my furthest drive yet and in busy traffic.

Feeling flat today and just frustrated with my progress. I've been having little meltdowns all day and not realising I was doing it, till hubby started laughing when I was getting so frustrated with the cane constantly falling over where I put it... grrrrrrrrrrrr!!! Then fleeing the gel packs!![emoji33]

I did end up going out and doing some errands plus I went grocery shopping on my own first time and it was a decent shop, I have been doing online shopping mainly. It took so bloody long.

Just feel like I've gone backwards or stopped going forward this past week. My bend isn't increasing, I think it's still around 100. Tried to measure it Saturday using an app on the phone and it said it was at 92... that can't be right!!!?

I think it's my hip abductors too, the hip joints are so sore and my lower back just a little poke in certain spots causes pain.

The knee buckling and my quads are spasming at times when walking, makes me nervous with no cane.

I'm walking 20-30mins each day, I'm on the stationary bike for 10mins each day about 2-2.5km. I haven't been concentrating on my pt bends or lifts as just been doing the above and the leg lifts hurt my hips. Although I can do a control straight leg lift plus bent knee lifts and can lock the knee with ease. So they're all positives.

I know I'm doing more and pain is mainly non-existent most of the time but at 14wks I should be doing better, shouldn't I?

Do I call the OS and say I'm concerned with my bend?

I just been thinking more more about doing the ivf transfer in the next 3mths but am I stupid in thinking I need to be able to bend???? No don't answer that, of course I do. Turning 43 and wanting to see if these embryos will work before we try egg donor is on my mind, we are running out of time. Don't get me wrong doing my knee was the best decision before trying the embryos, as having a young child (and I know by your journeys it is) would have been tough going. This ivf journey has been 11yrs already.

The show just has to get on the road! I just thought before the surgery I'd be closer to transferring than I am. As you can tell I'm beyond frustrated with my body!!

Going to put my name down for relief teaching next term too which is in 3wks, which will help my bored frustrated brain too, but concerned the school may see me as a liability currently.

I do see professionals to chat with too, so I do care for this overactive tired brain.





Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My experience was a little different but along the same lines. We were working with fertility specialists and I needed to have foot surgery. So I took a pause and did that. I resumed my fertility treatments at about 4 months post-op, when I was done with PT and walking well and didn't need any aids and didn't need any MEDS!!! That's important... be sure you are free and clear of the pain killers. Even if you take them occasionally, you won't want to do that at all!

I know time is ticking, but just be sure your knee can be in the background so you can put your fertility journey front and center!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You sound just like where I am!! Yes I thought at 14 weeks (another anniversary woo-hoo) that I would be farther along as well. I had slowed down my expectations and took a step back for the past month or so.

I'm not doing any formal PT, just like you walking and riding my stationary bike but just seem to swell up and get so tight with just the smallest activities. I have an actual goinometer and tried to measure mine but couldn't seem to get an accurate measurement. Even after I came home from my appointment and she told me what it was it wasn't anywhere near that when I tried to measure it. I e given up with that! The

You have your goal in mind for a certain recovery period and I have about the same timefram to get back to flying. I try not to dwell on my expectations but time is moving fast and the dates we have in mind are looming even faster.

In hindsight I think the first couple months were a tad easier in that I really expected less and now I expect a lot more. I know, I know it's a year long recovery and we all have to just let our knee heal at its own pace. I get it! But that doesn't make the frustrations of everyday life go away.

Hang in there Zaki there is comfort in talking to someone at the exact same timeframe as we are. I think we are both just impatient because we are normally not sedentary people and want so bad to get on with our normal lives.

We will survive and thrive soon! :friends:
 
Thanks girls!! Jen, yep I know I can't be on the meds, and the cane.. that's what's stopping me. But you give me hope.

Flyaway it is a relief talking to someone else you is experiencing the same as me.

Take a step back Zakie and breathe!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think we are all wanting to be farther along than we are:( It really stinks when we feel like we should measure better or not able to do what we want without being exhausted. Hang in there Zakmick, I know we Aren't suppose to compare but it sure sounds like you, flyaway79 and myself are pretty much doing the same including Rom. I now it is frustrating, everyday I try to bend just a little bit more. I do think we are expecting too much, but Damn! It is hard:bawl:I am right there with you!
It is a good thing we can lift each other up in spirit:flwrysmile:try to stay positive! We will get there and it will be worth it. Sending you Happy, Positive vibes your way:friends:

I did get my daith piercing yesterday hope it helps with the migraines.

Hope you have a great day:egypdance:
 
I think you're doing OK, Zakie. No need to call your surgeon about your ROM. It will increase slowly.
From now on, progress will be slower, but you'll keep moving ahead.
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)

You could probably stop doing all the PT exercises and just let walking be your exercise. It's the best exercise of all for knees.
 
Much appreciated Celle and Cybil.

Cybil did the piercing hurt?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I can relate completely. Thought I'd be so much further into my recovery by now but thank goodness we have this site to see it's pretty much longer than all of us expected. We live in a quick fix world these days and this surgery is definitely definitely not quick fix. Hang in there! :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think that a couple of good days makes it harder to take a hard day. When I am doing well, I start to feel like I am back to normal and then I will be reminded that I still have a way to go. I can imagine how hard it is for you, Zakie, with the embryos waiting. It is so hard to be patient.

I have no idea what my flexion or extension are. I just try to do what I can and keep trying to live life. I appreciate the things I can do and keep trying what I can't do yet. It's easier for me than stressing all the time.

Hang in there. It was keep getting better. You have lots of loving vibes coming your way from your friends here at BS.
 
@sandi, that 1st sentence is so very true!
and then there's the opposite too...a few bad days in a row and we despair that we see no progress.
What a marathon!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom