TKR Zakie's TKR Recovery Thread

That's good news, Zakie. Your ROM will continue to improve for a long time yet.
 
Great news on your bend and OS visit. You are well on your way! [emoji846]


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great news! [emoji1376][emoji1376][emoji1376]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I went to a meeting the other night, and their house was on a upward slope plus stairs with no railings. Two friends had to help me get up that drive , then I was sort of crawling up the stairs to the front door... I still have so much further to go.. I was embarrassed.
Leaving I went out the back door and was picked up a long side the house.
Such times a frustrating...& I don't believe I'm doing too much but I'm struggling with the pain at night in bed.... I wake and need to take my endone. Feels like a knife is being stuck in the inside of my leg just below the knee.
It could be from driving? Not that I'm doing that daily, more every 3-4 days. I'm using one crutch again but at night have resorted to 2 when I'm tired and feel like I'm limping.... have often lately just walked away forgetting about my crutch, which must be a sign I'm getting to the point where I don't need it constantly.
I'm massaging the area and using a pillow between my legs but I'm constantly needing to move adjust my sleep position.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I went to a meeting the other night, and their house was on a upward slope plus stairs with no railings. Two friends had to help me get up that drive , then I was sort of crawling up the stairs to the front door... I still have so much further to go.. I was embarrassed.
No need to feel embarrassed! Heavens, your knee is wounded and you're still recovering from major surgery. I can see how it would be rather discouraging, though.

That was way too much for your poor knee.
Maybe next time you go somewhere, could you phone first and ask if there is anywhere that you can park that is closer or has easier access?

Everything you're doing sounds normal. Often, you get through the day without too much pain and then it hits you at night. It's a cumulative result of activity, not any one thing. You're more susceptible to pain when you're tired, as well.
Just go along with it and take the pain relief you need. It's still only just over 2 months since your surgery - only about 1/6 of the way to full recovery.
 
Yes I will @Celle, it was the first time to this guys new place. I'll be entering from the side if I ever go there again.

Thanks I need reminding to be easier on myself x
 
I agree with Celle. You are doing well and have no reason at all to be embarrassed. If everyone could just understand the severity of this recovery, it would be so much easier on us. At 2 months, using crutches as needed is normal and the smart thing to do. I even used the walker for about 2 1/2 months when in a crowd because of fear of being knocked down.

Celebrate your victories, which are many for your short time out! IMO you are ahead of the game. Keep us the good habits!
 
I'll probably be taking my crutches with me ...or one at least for a long while just to insure I get a seat on the metro. (been doing that since my fall in December.)
 
It is necessary to scope out entrances, exits etc. because a new TKR isn't capable of doing everything. Do you feel bad! High curbs were a huge problem for me and with my gimpy left can still be an issue. It's just become a habit for me to look at feasibility of locations.

Here where I live in PA you can no longer sell a home if you have stairs without a banister of some sort outside the house. A railing must be installed before a sale is complete.
 
I agree with everyone else, you have no reason to be embarrassed. If everyone understood what this recovery was like, they would tell where to go that is easier or arrange for help. As it is we can just do the best we can. I have seen much improvement in you (easier to see from the outside). I know that in another month you will be surprised to see how far you have come. Lots of (hugs) to you. :flwrysmile:
 
I parked to take my kids into their rehearsal and decided to take a shortcut along the grassy/pine strawed knoll. I got halfway across the slope and realized I was stuck. Thankfully my son was there and he helped his mama down. On the way back, I took the longer way with the stairs! Hills are no joke! But yeah, I was embarrassed that I couldnt navigate 3-4 steps worth of a hill.
 
Hills are really easy to slip on. You made the right decision. Steps are so much easier.
 
Hello everyone!
Just checking in, doing relatively ok here, a couple of up and down days and doing too much but majority are good days. Heading interstate Tuesday for 3 nights/ 4 days by plane. A little nervous how the knee may react with swelling but hoping as it's 1.5hrs it won't be tooo bad. Be nice to get out of the house.
The crunching in the knee is a sickening sound too when I walk or bend it, normal I'm assuming ?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hey surgery buddy! Glad to hear you are doing well!

Good luck with your fligh! Bring along a large ziplock baggie and ask the Flight Attendant to fill it with ice when you get on the plane. Tell them you had knee surgery and they will be glad to do this for you. I have a Velcro strap that I use to keep my ice pack around my knee. That may work for you too. Even for a shorter flight it will help a lot with the swelling. Also try and stick a small bag under the seat in front of you so you can rest your foot on top it so it at least isn't totally down the whole time.

I too can hear my knee but I don't think others can. I think it's still the swelling inside that makes things sound crunchy - ugh!
 
Hello there!!
I'm 184cm so my knee is going to be jammed behind the seat in front of me because I'm not allowed to be in emergency seats when I'm not able which is a bummer..
I'm sitting in the aisle and hubby in middle so hopefully I can stretch it under him. Good idea on the ice, I have a Velcro strap that has an ice bag (you fill) attached to it, I was taking that with me already. Already organised a wheelchair at the airport as our terminal to domestic flights is super long. Just want the knee to behave as randomly this past two weeks it just swells like football.

PT said she could feel the movement but I think you're right I'm feeling the movement and imagining the sound that goes with it [emoji23]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Zakie, it's great to hear from you. I think asking for ice on the plane is a fantastic idea. Tomorrow is our 12 week anniversary! @debbyS @flyaway79 I feel like we have made it over the hillast. Even though there are still ups and downs, I think we are all doing okay. I have so appreciated all of my surgery buddies and pray that everyone's recovery continues well. Happy Kneeiversary!:flwrysmile::loveshwr::yes!:
 
Back
Top Bottom