Guest viewing is limited

TKR Zakie's TKR Recovery Thread

Oh my gosh!!! 3mths that's crazy!! This time 3mths ago I was crying and cursing the nurses lol


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good luck on your flight. I'm flying with my girls to chicago on the 20th. It's about a 2 hr flight. I'm in the aisle so I can stretch it when the cart isn't going by. I have wheelchair assist set up for both ways. I'm still nervous. I'll be watching for an update.

I hate the "clicking". Which it's not really a sound (vs the crunching I had w the arthritis) but I feel it. I hope this isn't a forever sensation. I've read that it should improve as the muscles around the knee get stronger. I hope.
 
Coming from a flight attendant please be very careful of sticking your foot in the aisle, even when the cart isn't coming by :nah: We try very hard to watch for things in the aisle but I can't tell you the number of legs and bags and straps I have tripped over throughout the years.

The aisles these days have gotten extremely narrow and there is not much room for anyone to go by. We get very busy especially on those shorter flights, and we are not always looking down like we should. It's not just once and through with the carts and then it's clear. And it's not just us, it's other passengers walking around too. I always get nervous when I see someone come onboard in a wheelchair and then sit on the aisle with their foot or leg out. I just think it's a disaster waiting to happen. Just my two cents :smile2: Be safe and have fun!

I also would suggest to bring along a large ziplock baggie and when you board ask the flight attendants to fill it with ice for you. They will be glad to do this for you. I carry a Velcro strap to strap it to my leg while I'm sitting.
 
Thanks for the reminder. Worst case scenario, I'll boot my daughter from the window seat and sling my leg up and over both their laps. Lol.
 
Three months is not that long when you think of it. I remember not being able to move my leg at all. The next morning I can move it side to side. It seemed like a major victory. I remind myself of that when my leg hurts a little and I am feeling down.



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh yes @Jennszoo be careful! I would love to go visit my son and grandsons but am afraid to get on a plane. Good luck!​

I feel like everyday I making a little progress, the numbness and tight feeling is even going away! Can't wait until the 6 month mark! This is such a Great site, glad I started listening and fired my doc And PT therapist.
 
My flights were great. Travelled with two different airlines and they were very accommodating. Both airlines arranged a spare seat for me to stretch out and had a lift for me to disembark and a wheelchair at the plane as the domestic terminal is a distance at Melbourne. Took my ice pack on board and hostess filled it for me. It was great to just get out and about, getting stronger physically and mentally [emoji16]
Had my first of many pat downs by security too lol


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad your flights were good! It is nice to hear the airlines were so accommodating:yes!:
 
So glad your trip went well and the flight attendants were good to you :thumb:
 
Hahahaha yes I did set off the alarms, but I had warned them before I went through and had my crutches so they knew something was up. They were great about it all though.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good to read it went well.
I'm hoping to fly for a week to London in mid September. That would be 3 and a half months post op.
But we have a much bigger trip planned in early November. That would be first 2 hours then a 10 hours flight. That would be 5 (and a bit more) months post op. I wonder...
 
I was really worried leading up to the flights @VW54, as my bend and swelling still knocks me around but it was so great to have something to look forward to as well.

I'd read that article that Celle tagged me in, I chatted with special assistance with both airlines and they were great. The lift out of the aircraft and the wheelchair were a relief after sitting (I couldn't get up and walk while in flight)... except don't let your wheelchair driver leave you on an incline!! Hubby needed to go to the loo and forgot the brakes...I'm yelling at him as he is walking off and I'm rolling backwards..lmao...
I'm just imaging now what I looked like [emoji23]




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yup it's going to be awhile yet until I can go back to work and be one of those flight attendants on the flight helping people like you and me!!

I don't think they will let me order a wheelchair to get through the airport after the flight :chinstroke:
 
I glad things went well on the flights. It gives me encouragement for my trip in a few weeks. Our flight is only a couple of hours after driving a couple of hours to the airport and then another hour of driving to the first hotel. I hope I do as well as you.
 
Hello SmartiePants [emoji12]
Yes your flights will be fabulous as the hostess' after being given prior knowledge to be prepared for your arrival.

Okay I cant seem to be getting past 110 bend (I think it's at that bend, doing it by sight???) It feel as though the calf muscle and calf/ hamstring tenders are stopping the bend??! Anyone else experiencing this?
I've been doing calf raises, heel slides, exercise bike 5mins, Pew exercises (this is great for my gait). Leg lifts and half leg lifts. Whole leg lifts still hurt in my hip, so keeping them low and controlled.

I'm thinking I need to get into the pool now and seat seeing a physio....


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app
 
@zakmick at 5 months the hamstring tendon on one of my legs is still sore and tight and I feel restricts my bend from being greater. I have noticed though over the last week or two I have really concentrated on my gait (heel, toe, bending ankle and knee) after my massage therapist said I was walking like a penguin. The pain has lessened somewhat and tendon/ligament pain I have on the inside of my knee has also lessened a little so I think I am onto something.
 
Back
Top Bottom