TKR Zakie's TKR Recovery Thread

Yes!! Such an improvement in swelling, pain and stiffness... but headaches and little sleep have been hard side effects. Back to see fs Friday.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
How long did it take for you to notice a difference? Did you have visible swelling or just the internal tighness and stiffness? To look at my knee it looks normal but the tighness is driving me crazy.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Probably a week Carol to notice a difference in pain, movement, stiffness...I've been on them 10 days now and today I feel like my leg is part of me again... weird I know. I can get up and walk straight away, no straightening up or tentative first step.
OS the other day said my swelling was minimal if any to look at, so for me it was internal.
I started at 50mg for 3 days, then 40mg 3 days, 30mg 3 days, 25mg 3 days (currently), then I'll be moving to 15mg a day till I see OS.
Annoying side effects though.
They have helped with my lower back and hip too.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] Zakie's TKR Recovery Thread [Bonesmart.org] Zakie's TKR Recovery Thread Hi all. Wanted to jump in here with a message about compression sleeves. Many of us on another thread have shared about wearing these and the miracle of the stiffness and band feeling being relieved. I alternate between using"tubigrip" available at medical supply shops or Amazon and another sleeve I bought last year before my LTKR. it really helps a lot. Worth a try.
So glad to hear the cortisone pills helped.
I also have no idea what my numbers are. Went to PT once to see if he had anything up his sleeve different from my experience with RTKR. nope.
So, I just did my own at home which included recumbent bike, walks, random heel slides, extensions on stool and ADL'S. I can tell its getting better by function as I move thru the day.
So glad you found us.
 
@flyaway79
Try a compression sleeve. I think you'll like it!

Thanks. I've tried them but they just bug me. I'm sure it's a personal thing. I wore one for years before this surgery and I can't bear the thought of going back to wearing one. After all that was one of the reasons I decided to have this surgery so I could live without wearing a brace.
 
Yea, I get that. It does seem a bit like going backwards but mine is really lightweight and it gives me a break from the stiffness , tight band. Have you found anything else to give relief? I remember the tight feeling from my other knee but I'm pretty sure this one is worse. Then again I cant quite remember. It's a little like childbirth. I think. Or minds blot it out!
 
Thanks @Hopetohike... I'm a bit like flyaway though. I hated the compression bandage as it always used to roll on my fat thighs and turn into a tourniquet [emoji23].

Yes can only try it Carol.. today the knee was tight after a long walk, but I did that walk without a cane (first time), but I think the steroids helped me do the walk without the cane if that makes sense. The knee, quad all feels stronger.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Did that squishy ligament flicking over the bone feeling ever go away? Mine still comes and goes.
 
Glad to hear the cortisone gave you some relief. It's a great feeling to walk without a cane.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
When I get the internal swelling and have done too much I get that ligament flicking pain occasionally and the knee gets noisy to walk with. The pain on either side of leg just under knee has been great to this past week, that one would keep me awake during the night.
I can see light finally!!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
"Used to roll on my fat thighs and turn into a tourniquet" :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Exactly what happens to me!! The only kind I could wear one was a heavier type that only covered the knee area and that was always so hot and annoying and I didn't like how you could see it through tighter pants. However I had to wear it and I went through a lot of those over the years because the elasticity would wear out.
 
Hi [emoji112] everyone ,
Long time without posting. Been busy here back tutoring 3 nights a week and have been back relief teaching the past fortnight.

I'm struggling though, the knee is so sore and then my hip and back ache as I get tired and my gait changes. Can't really use my cane at work as I'm only employed as a casual and they were worried for me to come back earlier and be a liability, and we need me working. The bank account has taken a huge hit without me working.

Had to stop the steroids as it was affecting my liver but I've recently found that I have another immune disorder (I'm a coeliac) which causes inflammation in my body/joints and have been put on a daily tablet of placquenil. I'm so hoping that this helps with the leg too.

It's great for the mind being back in the classroom but I don't seem to be able to bend the knee as much as I could and wowsers I get mentally and physically tired.

I'm icing regularly and taken painkillers when needed, definitely needed on my work days.

I'm seeing a friend who is a myotherapist on Thursday, hoping she can work some magic, as I haven't seen the pt since returning to work as he pushed to far on the knee and it hurt for days after.

Thanks for the vent. Hope you're all doing well

Katy


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
6mths anniversary today!! Wow thought I would be much further along but there are more times I'm not thinking about the knee and less icing, so I'm getting better but slowly ! Been seeing a myotherapist which has been amazing!! Would highly recommend instead of a Physiotherpist.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It took a long while before I didn't think about my knee. The classroom/teaching is a hard job to return to after a TKR because you're on your feet so much. I had pain when walking/standing for a year or more. I recently started to build my walking slowly and that has helped but I'm not teaching so not on my knees as much in daily life.
 
Just started not thinking about my knees most of the time. Unlike you, though, I don't have a job that keeps me on my feet. That's a contributing factor to your knee soreness. :sad: Needing to work doesn't give you much chance to really let it rest a lot.

Your myotherapist sounds interesting! Could you tell us how that works? I'm curious about anything that can be of help.
 
Just started not thinking about my knees most of the time. Unlike you, though, I don't have a job that keeps me on my feet. That's a contributing factor to your knee soreness. :sad: Needing to work doesn't give you much chance to really let it rest a lot.

Your myotherapist sounds interesting! Could you tell us how that works? I'm curious about anything that can be of help.

It was explained to me Susie as a professional who works between a Physiotherpist and remedial massage therapist. She uses dry needling too. It is deep tissue massage working on your muscles, ligaments, tendons etc. and then uses acupuncture for added benefit.
After two sessions with the myotherapist I think I had not achieved this feeling or was encouraged by my therapy as I have been with this. After the first session I realised what my knee could be capable of, the bend without pushing but through massage I achieved was amazing. She also works on your whole area that will be sore from the knee buttocks, hip, calf, ankle and knee. I can claim back on my health extras too. I recommend anyone to try the therapy.





Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom