TKR Yorkimom is ready to go...LTKR

@Yorkimom Anne, I hope you had a nice Christmas with your family. Sorry you are still having trouble with the RLS. Hopefully you wetere able to sleep well last night.
 
Thanks @Minnie's knees. My parents came over for breakfast...I make sticky buns every year and it has become a tradition. My daughter and her family were supposed to come for dinner but she got sick Christmas Eve and was worse on Christmas morning, so they didn't come. It was a very quiet Christmas!! Luckily the RLS started around 7 last night and it finally stopped around 10:30.....and that was after finally taking a muscle relaxer and a pain med.....so I got to sleep last night. It was so nice!!!!
 
Hooray for sleep! Glad you had a good night but sorry your daughter was sick and couldn't come for Christmas. There's a lot of crud going around. Our daughter in law was sick and with a fever for several days but it finally broke on Christmas Eve and she seemed fine yesterday. I hope yours gets well soon too!
 
@Yorkimom An elliptical machine can be quite a bit more stressful on your knee than a bicycle. I really wouldn't suggest you do much with it until around the 6 month mark. But....if you do decide to use it, start slowly like you did (actually 5 minutes at a time would probably have been better). If you see no pain or swelling in the following 2 days, you could increase by a couple of minutes each week up to about 15 minutes. No resistance or elevation, though for now. That puts even more stress on your knee.

Just take things slowly and watch your body's reaction. That's the best way to tell when you're ready to move forward a bit. Everyone will be different in this.
 
@Jamie, thank you. I didn't think but when I used the elliptical it was set at high incline. It didn't bother knee at all, but it did bother me the next day. My hubby used it after me and mentioned the incline and said that I should use at no incline. I will use today at no incline and for 5 minutes like you suggested and see if it bothers me again. If not, I will wait for a few more months.
 
Yes, recovering knees can trick you that way. you feel ok at the time but pay later. :(
 
Hi @Yorkimom! How is your knee feeling during the day? I still have a lot of stiffness when changing positions ( from straight to flex). I missed 2 weeks of PT (see why below) and can feel it. I'm trying to be more diligent about my exercises at home.

I've been off the site for a few weeks. Hubby got sick, and I'll try to make this brief, but a viral infection (not the flu) and the dehydration it resulted in sent my husband into renal failure. After a 911 call for labored breathing and almost dying the first night (they coded him) he is home after 10 days in the hospital (inc. Christmas) with hopefully no longterm damage. The reason I'm telling you this is that I caught up on your thread about your sinus infection and your daughter being sick. Please encourage others to seek medical help when ill. I'm a nurse and didn't see this coming; hubby was at the doctor 2 days before the ER ( flu test came back negative). We thought it was just a "bug" and if we had delayed calling 911 he would have died. I am definitely counting my blessing right now!

Thanks for being such a great Bonesmart buddy. It's been great watching your progress since our knees are so close in age!
 
@PuppyLove, Chris it is so good to hear from you. I wondered where you were. How horrible for your hubby. I'm sure you were scared to death. Thank God he is okay and back home with all of you. I'll keep him in my prayers.
My knee is doing pretty good. I'm still struggling with my ROM but it seems to be getting better. My biggest problem lately has been RLS. I have been getting it almost every night for the past couple of weeks. Some nights I have been up until 4 in the morning. I have tried everything and the only thing that seems to work is the oxycodone.
Thanks for the tip about not taking being sick lightly. Luckily the antibiotics kicked in and I am feeling fine. My son still has a cough but is feeling okay otherwise. I'll keep on him as he has asthma. My daughter on the other hand is a different story. I talked to her today and she is still very sick and still has a fever. Her husband and the kids left today to visit his family that are three hours away. He didn't want to leave her, but she said she would be fine. So she will be by herself until later tomorrow. She said she just wants to sleep. The problem with her is that she is really into holistic medicine and doesn't go to the regular doctor much. She is always self medicating with essential oils, etc. She has been eating clean for the past year and on the opposite end of the spectrum compared to us. I'm hoping that if she isn't better on Monday she will go to the doctor.
It sounds as though your knees are doing well. I still have stiffness when in on position for any amount of time and that tight band feeling too. Hopefully it will go away soon. I hope your hubby continues to improve and please take care of yourself. Merry Christmas!! Anne
 
@Yorkimom your daughter sounds like a strong woman. We tried eating clean (our Paleo project) but it didn't last long. We "caved" to our old habits and cravings. I think it's great if people can practice holistic medicine and stay healthy, but I do think there's a time for traditional medicine and antibiotics used the proper way. I'm just shocked at how quickly my hubby went downhill. It definitely scared the heebie jeebies out of me and the kids. It made me examine our lives. We have some changes and improvements to make this year.

I feel blessed to not have RLS. I thought for a while I was going to have a problem, but it went away on its own. I hope yours resolves soon. My knee stiffness really bugs me, but i think that's my impatience showing. I also still don't have a great energy level. I'm not sure if the Vit D2 supplements are helping. It may just be physical and emotional exhaustion at this point. I don't feel like doing much, and feel guilty about it because my 12 year old daughter wants to stay busy on her school break (crazy as it sounds, she hates summer vacation and would rather be in school!). Sorry to be rambling. I am grateful to have our family home together right now.

I hope your family regains their health soon and has a happy new year!
 
@PuppyLove, Chris, I think you need to give yourself more credit. Of course you have no energy. I'm sure most of it is because of the surgery and the vitamin deficiency, but you have been through an emotional roller coaster for the past couple of weeks. That would wear anyone down!! Plus you have younger kids that take more work. Not to mention having both knees done at the same time. So please be kind to yourself!
I know what you mean about being stiff. I feel like an old lady when I first get up but after a few steps I am better. I hate the tight band feeling but I know that I will probably have that for awhile longer. It lasted a very long time with my right knee.
Yes, my daughter is a strong woman and I am very proud of her, but at times she drives me crazy....what mother doesn't say that? A couple of years ago she decided to go vegetarian. She has always love veggies ever since she was a kid and was very picky about eating meat and has never eaten seafood. After being a vegetarian for some time, she slowly started to eat vegan. Now she is telling me that she is lactose intolerant. That if she eats ice cream or milk, etc. it bothers her. Of course if your body hasn't had anything like that for a long time it will rebel when it first has it. At least that is my thought.
She is a wonderful massage therapist and she is so busy. I do try to get a massage every now and then. When she gets over this flu or whatever it is, I want her to work on my leg. The muscles are so tight and I really think that has an impact in my ROM. I hope to hear from you soon and please take care of yourself. Anne
 
@PuppyLove How scary! I'm so glad your husband is doing better! It's amazing how quickly everything can change! I'm sure that had to have been so stressful on the whole family - take care of yourself, as you are still recovering yourself! I still get very stiff also - it's one of the most diffcult things right now.
 
Hi everyone. Jus nosing around on post. I hope your all recovery is smooth. Blessings to all. Xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum ❤️SonnysWife
 
After being a vegetarian for some time, she slowly started to eat vegan. Now she is telling me that she is lactose intolerant. That if she eats ice cream or milk, etc. it bothers her.
Hi again, Anne,

My daughter was vegetarian for about 6 years before becoming vegan. She's been vegan for 5+ years now and is completely healthy. She has blood tests annually and all her results are completely normal. She did it only after taking nutrition courses, so that she knew what she was doing, and she knows how to get all her protein requirements from a plant-based diet. (If I ask, she can quote statistics at me until my ears burn!)

Of course, true vegans don't eat/drink any dairy products at all, as they don't eat anything that is derived from animals, so surely the question of lactose intolerance shouldn't arise? If she's vegan, she won't be eating ice cream or drinking milk anyway.

Dark green, leafy vegetables are a good source of calcium, if you are worried about your daughter's calcium intake. When I visited VietNam, I discovered that no adults there drink milk at all. They consider it strange to do so.

Like you, I used to worry about my daughter's diet, but she has shown that she knows what she's doing and she is very healthy.

So, after that little diversion - back to the knees! Like you, I still get that stiffness when I first start moving, but it wears off after a few steps. I've noticed that even my 3-year-old TKR does something similar, so I've stopped worrying about it.
 
@Celle, thanks! I have to say your daughter sounds exactly like mine. She has done tons of research and is very well versed in eating healthy. I had to laugh when you wrote she can quote statistics until she burns your ear. I have learned so much from Jodi and sometimes I'm not even asking. She doesn't eat dairy. She was just saying that eating this way is even better for her because she can't eat dairy. She always could before, so you got me. Anyway she is very healthy and into fitness, so it's a good thing.
My knee also does the same thing at times, so like you said, I'm not worried. I just hope I get more ROM soon. Take care. Anne
 
@Yorkimom - I have RLS and had hoped it wouldn't return after surgery. However, it has on my right leg - which is normally the happier of the two. There is a homeopathicly based product that I have used for years that has helped me where other things haven't. I had a bad bout last night and I was able to clean my "loom room" a bit while I walked around and waited for it to kick in. It has worked for me and if you are interested, you might find it in a Health Food store, or I get it in our local grocery chain that carries organic plus healthcare products. I know they say that the product doesn't treat RLS but it's the only thing that gives me relief. I dissolve three tablets under my tongue.

https://www.hylands.com/products/hylands-restful-legs

Just an idea that might help.
 
Thank you for suggesting something that might help Yorkimom, @Threads .

However, I'm going to be the voice of caution and remind everyone not to start taking any medications, even if they are herbal or homeopathic, without first consulting your own doctor. This is to make sure that they don't clash with, or enhance, the effect of any other drugs you are taking.
 
@Celle - thank you for adding that. This product has been part of my life for years and I don't think of that, my doctor is aware that I use homeopathic remedies and also see a naturopath. However, I did include it with my meds when checking in for my surgery as well as moving to the rehab hospital.
 
Thank you @Threads and @Celle. I made an appointment with my doctor for Friday and I'm going to talk to him depth about the RLS. Someone else, I can't remember who, told me about something called Natural Calm, I believe that has magnesium and calcium in it and helps her RLS. I had mentioned it to the PA when I went to the doctors last week for my sinus infection. She said that low magnesium can contribute to RLS, but you have to be careful taking natural remedies because you might not need extra magnesium and it can backfire. So I take all the advice I have been getting and will talk to him about it. I have been getting to the point that I dread nighttime to come because it always starts up. I hate taking the oxycodone but that is the only thing that calms it down.
I just got back from having a massage. When my daughter is too busy, I have been going to Michelle and she is wonderful. I have t gone since before the surgery. I talked to her about my knee and while it was tough at times to get through it, I feel as though it really helped. She massaged my incision and that didn't hurt all. It was when she was working on my hamstrings and also the front muscle that runs from your hip to knee...she told me what it was but I can't remember the name...that hurt like the dickens. But as she stretched the muscle it began to feel better. I had a big knot right at the top of my knee that she also worked on. Michelle said that my left knee, calf and ankle were all swollen compared to my right leg. While walking to my car my knee felt really good and I'm anxious for PT tomorrow to see if there is any I provement in my ROM. Anne
 
Anne, I'm really glad that the massage helped. This is a long and hard recovery and anything that helps (but does no harm) has to be a plus.

I hope that you manage to get something from your doctor that will help with the RLS. It's such a help to get skilled advice from someone who knows your medical history and your medications.
 
Happy New Year's everyone! I hope everyone has a prosperous pain-free new year!!!
This morning I went to PT and I am one happy camper. Christine said she could tell when I came I had improved just by the way I was walking. She pushed on my leg a little to see how my extension was and she didn't even measure it because she said if it wasn't at 0 it was very, very close. Then she measured my flexion while I was laying down and I got to 112...yayyyyyy
The last time was two weeks ago at 105.
We decided I would go back in another two weeks to see how I'm progressing as I'm starting at the gym on Monday. Needless to say I'm on cloud 9.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom