TKR Yorkimom is ready to go...LTKR

Can.see why nice one

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Yorkimom so excited for you at 112°! What a great way to end 2014. I hope your dr can help you with the RLS. May 2015 bring you continued healing and ROM!
 
@Minnie's knees, thanks. I know you more than most can relate to how excited I was to have such improvent in my ROM. It will be 15 weeks tomorrow since surgery, so it has taken quite a while. Hang in there, I'm sure once your swelling goes down your ROM will improve too!!
 
@Yorkimom thanks for all the support. Somegimes I need someone to tell me I don't need to be superwoman. Hubby's getting better but says he feels like a wimp. I keep telling him that after coming back from the dead it will take time to get his energy level back. It's funny- I'm telling him the same things he told me after my surgeries. I hope your family is doing better. My kids have been fortunate to not get sick lately, other than sinus problems (it's very windy here and everything blows in). I went shopping for shoes and lasted and hour and a half walking. My hip actually started bothering me before my knees did. I found one new pair of shoes, so I considered it a successful trip. Are you still going to PT on a regular basis? I go 2 x a week, and today my PT said she would like to see a little more progress before I stop. I regressed while hubby was in the hospital, so I'm working through that. I'm just wondering how long the average person goes to PT after TKR?
 
@PuppyLove, Remember, you might need a bit more PT than the "average" person who did them one at a time. Not that I'm "typical", but I did four full months of PT before switching to the gym to continue on my own. Glad your husband is doing better.....so scary!
 
@PuppyLove, Happy New Year Chris! I'm glad to hear that your hubby is improving. I'm sure it will take him some time to get his energy back. Sorry to hear thst your hip is. Others g you. It's po a ly a sign that you are doing too much. You have been through not one TKR but two, so I'm sure it will take some time. For my first surgery which was on Dec. 3rd, I went to PT until the first week or two of February. This time I'm going longer. The plan is I went last week and will go back in two weeks and see if there is any improvement. If there is, then I'm just going to continue to exercise on my own. If not, I will go to pt for a little longer. Since everyone's recovery progresses at different paces, I don't think there is a set time for PT. I think our therapist know when we are ready to stop. At least that's the way I feel.
Take care of yourself and try not to do too much. This is such a long progress and if we try to hurry it too much, it backfires. Anne
 
Hello @Yorkimom (Anne) x

I'm so pleased to read 112 ROM. Well done, you seem to be doing ever so well. I do love to read good recoveries. It makes me feel so happy. I hope you had a lovely Christmas and New Year. My TKR is definitely going from strength to strength although we have the odd yukky day. My big problem is my left knee....nightmare!

I hope that you are both keeping well

Take care
Love Ann xxx
 
Can I borrow your rom? Lol just looking over posts. Trying to figure out how use this sight.

Xxx on recovey.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmartFourm
❤️bfmasmommy
 
@Nana moon 27, good tn hear from you and thanks. I've been really working hard on the ROM. I could tell it has improved by my everyday activities and then having the massage helped tremendously. I'm having another massage this week and then one next week the night before I go to PT. I'm hoping I see more improvement and if so that, will be my last session. Today was my first day back at the gym. I did 20 minutes on the bike and then did my floor exercises that my therapist has me so. I was tempted to do more being at the gym, but decided that it's best to take it slow. My goal is to go every day this week. We'll see.
@Angel1978, I know how you feel about the ROM but you will get there. You are only a month out. At a month out I wasn't even at 90 yet. Some are lucky and get their ROM a little easier and some don't. This recovery certainly isn't a "one size fits all" and I promise you patience is your best friend. Just keep doing your exercises and if it hurts don't do it. Also rest, ice and elevate. You will get there! Anne
 
I've been really working on my ROM and hopefully this Wednesday will be my last PT, although I will still continue to work on it on my own. I'm anxious to see if I've improved any the last two weeks.
The other day I ordered the Stretch Out Strap from Amazon for 12.30. This is the green strap with loops all along it that they have at PT and also at the gym. I have been using Misty's old dog leash but with just the one loop I can't pull my leg back as far as when you have a strap on each side to pull. I have been doing this at the gym when I do my heel slides. I'm thinking this is going to be the best 12.30 I've spent.
This strap is also for stretching your hamstrings.
Another thing that I started using at Jo's suggestion (dummy me never thought of it) is when I do my heel slides, I have been using heel slides. You might know them as furniture sliders. It makes it so much easier to get your heel to slide back farther. Anne
 
@Yorkimom I will check that strap out as am sure my rom is not far but os had me not do any physical therapy and my heel slides well it is not like knee no 1, thanks for the tip
 
@madinana, another thing that I have been doing that seems to help is while sitting in the recliner I sit back and lift my leg and bend it and let gravity make it bend more. In doing this the muscle that runs along the back of my leg to the outer side hurts. I put my hands in the back of my leg right above the crease and push in the muscle. You might have to move your fingers around until you can feel where it is tender. While pushing on the muscle let your leg hang. Eight after I do this I can always see improvement in the bend. I have also been using the stretch strap to help with having the leg in the air bent an with your foot in the strap, pull back until you feel uncomfortable, but never painful.
The biggest hurdle I'm having right now, as I'm sure everyone is dealing with this too, is the cold weather. My knee has been much stiffer since this cold snap. Yesterday at the gym when I first started on the bike, it was a little painful and I had to hitch my hip up at every rotation. This lasted for about 5-7 minutes and then it started feeling better. I saw a friend there and talked to her while on the bike. I did 22 minutes. It makes it easier and time goes faster when you are talking. Anne
 
@Yorkimom I am very excited as I order that stretch out strap from Amazon and it should get delivered today. You had wonderful suggestions :goodpost:that I am writing them down. I also wanted to ride my stationary bike, but have not done that yet. So thank you for the tips.
 
I had my last PT session and I am sooo excited. I have been working on my ROM and I didn't want to set myself up for disappointment, so my goal was 115. My last measurement was 112. Well, I made it to 120!!!!!
Bending on my own was 118 and with Christine pushing it hit the 120 mark. I can't tell how excited I am, but I am sure those of you who have been struggling like me can understand. Even though I got to 120 I still need to work on my flexion as I can still feel the pull when I go down steps, getting out of the car, etc.
I went to lunch today with friends in our neighborhood and I had borrowed the walker and cane from one of the ladies. Since she drove to the restaurant when she went to drop me off, I asked her to wait so I could put the walker and cane in the back of her Pilot. I rushed into the house to get them. The walker is a heavy duty one and has a lot of weight to it. As I was walking out to the car carrying both the walker and cane it made me think that just a couple of months ago I needed them both to get around, and here I am carrying them out to the car with no problem.
It seems that this recovery has been longer and harder than my first. It will be four months this coming Monday. So for those of you who are struggling and think you will never get there, you will. It just takes some of us of a little longer. Just remember slow and steady wins the race!!! Anne
 
Hello Anne

I just want to congratulate you on your wonderful recovery. You are living proof that no two recoveries are the same, even your own!!!

I could feel the pride in you when you said about carrying the walker and the cane. I hope that you enjoyed your well deserved lunch.

My recovery has been slow (last January when replaced) but since the revision in September, I'm getting closer to normality and it's great. It's a shame my other knees messed up but hey my TKR is doing well now. I'm walking up and downstairs normally but I'm not overdoing that one.

You have done wonderfully well Anne and I am genuinely pleased for you!

Love nana moon 27 x
 
@Nana moon 27, thanks Ann! I am so happy that you are finally improving. You have been so very much. I know you probably hate to even think about it, but are you planning on getting your other knee replaced anytime soon? I hope you continue to improve. Take care, Anne
 
Anne, my walker and cane went into retirement to the basement this week too :) Hopefully they never come back out!!

Love the 120! That is a huge milestone. Keep up the good work.
 
Hi @Yorkimom

In answer to your question about my other knee, Yes I have no choice. I was told back in October it had gone. It's got tricompartmental osteoarthritis, arthritis of the patella and no synovial fluid behind the kneecap and no cartilage. Now it feels like it's broken inside which was what happened with my other one. Sometimes the pain breaks through the pain meds. Nevertheless, I'm more mobile now which is a blessing. I am seeing the OS on the 27th of this month. It's manageable but the stairs kill it!

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom