Guest viewing is limited

TKR Yorkimom is ready to go...LTKR

@Jamie, thanks, but I am now 12 weeks out and only take meds right before PT or at night if I have pain. I have very gradually decreased my pain meds and found in the last couple of weeks that I only use them at night if needed. Over the years I have had RLS off and on and usually on days when I am overly tired. After my first surgery two years ago I started getting RLS a couple of months after surgery and it was always on the operated leg. This time I get it on both legs, but not at the same time. I have an appointment this morning with my GP for this nasty bug I have and will talk to him about it. Thanks again, Anne
 
Did it calm down earlier last night? I sure hope so. Let us know what your doctor says today. Feel better soon!
 
@gr82cu2, Hi Janet! Yes it started around 8 and I was able to go to sleep around 11. A far cry from 4 am for the last few nights.
My doctor was on vacation this week so I saw the PA. She said I have a sinus infection which I already knew. So she put me on a antibiotic so hopefully it will kick in. I did talk to her about the RLS but of course with her not being my doctor she didn't prescribe anything. She did say that often times it happens after surgery because of blood loss and our iron levels could be down. She did suggest to drink a little quinine before bed. I hate that stuff!! I also talked to her about magnesium as that was suggested by someone on the site and she said that I should be careful because if I take it and I don't really need it, it could off set my levels. She said that a multi vitamin and healthy eating are the best way to go. I do have my appetite back so I'm trying to eat a more balanced diet. We'll see. Thanks, Anne
 
Quinine? How do you drink that? Tonic water? It is bitter. Yuck! Do you take calcium supplements? Mine have magnesium in them but I don't know if it would be enough to stop your RLS. I feel so bad for you. This surgery by itself is very disruptive of sleep and now you're going through this. It's just not fair. I hope the antibiotics kick your sinus infection to the curb quickly. On the bright side maybe you'll be up Christmas Eve and can have cookies and milk with Santa when he stops by! :santa hug:
 
I told the PA the exact same thing. I hate the taste of it. I don't take calcium supplements but should. I'm going to get some. I'll definitely be up waiting for Santa. I'll be drinking the milk but he'll probably be so frazzled he might need a good stiff drink!! Ho Ho Ho
 
Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't catch you were that far out. You still might try a dose of either your prescription pain meds or 1000mg of Tylenol at bedtime to see if it helps. But, since this is a problem you have had previously, it could be from something other than the surgery. I had this problem too for a while after surgery. It took getting that second knee replacement before it stopped completely. The ol' heating pad at the small of the back worked wonders for me, but it doesn't work for everyone. Hope this settles down for you.
 
No problem @Jamie. I have been taking my prescription pain meds when the RLS goes on and I can't sleep. When I mentioned this today to the PA she suggested that I take the meds when it lasts this long.
I have had RLS over the years but very sporatically....maybe twice a year after I had an especially busy day. I've never had it like this except after the last surgery, but I think this times it's even worse.
It is 2:05 am my time and I am up once again. I tried the heating pad in the small of my back and also the bar of soap at the foot of my bed but to no avail. I finally took a pill around a half an hour ago so hopefully I'll be able to go to sleep in a bit.
Other than the RLS my knee has been doing pretty good the last few days. Thanks again, Anne
 
I'm from Ashland Ky. My doc call me in Celebrex here lately I been sick off Meds.


SonnysWife❤️
 
@Yorkimom Hope you were finally able to get some rest last night. So sorry the RLS is proving to be so bothersome but am very glad your knee is doing well. I hope the pain meds does the trick for the RLS and that you can finally get the rest you need! Best wishes for a Merry Christmas! :kittychris:
 
Thanks @sandbar525. Right now the RLS seems to be my biggest problem. I'm sitting here in the recliner after getting my shower and it just started about five minutes ago. It's a little after 9 here so hopefully it won't be a long night. Last night I didn't get to sleep until 4:30 am. I'll give it a couple of hours and if it doesn't stop I'll take another pain med. I hope you have a good night. Anne
 
I have a question and hopefully someone might have an answer. For the past couple of weeks I have been dealing with RLS on a nightly basis. The only thing that eventually gives me relief is taking a 5mg. of oxycodone. I hate to taking one of these every night as my pain levels don't warrant it, but I can't keep going on not sleeping. A friend recommended that maybe I could massage my legs with lotion to calm them down. I tried this tonight and what I have found is that I can rub my legs but as soon as I go near my incision I find that it makes it worse. As soon as I touch it I get that crawly, funny feeling in my leg and the uncontrollable urge to move them. During the day when I take a shower and put lotion on my legs and when I massage my incision I don't have this reaction. Only at night when the RLS is acting up. Any suggestions?? This is driving me crazy!!! Thanks, Anne
 
Hi Anne,
I'm sorry that the RLS is such a bother. I can't offer any solutions, I'm afraid, except to say that my scar feels odd as well - it feels quite different when I touch it from when I touch the rest of my knee.

Hubby gets RLS when he is overtired. It disturbs us both.

I have just read (in a TV guide magazine, of all places) that RLS can sometimes be associated with anaemia. Maybe that's why some people experience it after knee replacements? I'm not sure how reliable a source that is, so don't take it as gospel. I just found it interesting.

Anyway, I hope you have a happy Christmas.
:santa sleigh::merry christmas::treestar:
 
Anne, I'm sorry you are still experiencing the RLS. I know it can be very miserable and the lack of sleep is the worst. Hope you are able to get some sleep tonight.
 
@Celle, thanks for your reply. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas :treestar:
@Minnie's knees , thanks Kathy. My leg has finally settled down so I'm going to try go to to bed now. Hopefully it will not start up again. If so this will be an early night for me. Good luck tomorrow. Sending you good thoughts and hugs. Anne
 
Do you have an exercise bike at home? The other thing that helped with my restless legs was to do about 5 mintues slowly on the bike. Sometimes I'd be up at 3am in the dark peddling away.....there were a group of us with that problem back then. We called ourselves the "Night Stalkers" because our knees forced us to get up and walk at crazy hours.
 
@Jamie, unfortunately I do not have an exercise bike. Do you think an elliptical would work. I did 10 minutes on it this morning and it didn't bother my knee at all...although I'll see how it is later. Lately I have been walking around and then doing leg raises, but that hasn't helped at all. Thanks, Anne
 
Hi @Yorkimom

I hope that you had a lovely Christmas Day xxx please could you pass that on to tiredwife please.

Thank you. Merry Christmas xxxx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom