Guest viewing is limited

TKR Yorkimom is ready to go...LTKR

Hi @Yorkimom Anne,

I start OA Knee Class, which I totally misheard as OAP class. Anyway it starts today at 11am. Then I meet with the OS on Tuesday at 10am, about both knees. He is going to see if any further damage has occurred in my non TKR which he told me back on October needed replacing but I got so upset about it. It has got tricompartmental OA, arthritis behind the patella, no synovial fluid behind the kneecap and no cartilage x

Love Ann xxx
 
I'm ever so please about your progress you've earned this. Sheer hard work an determination well done Anne xxx
 
Hi @Ellejay, thanks!! As far as getting down on the floor. I see you had your right knee done a year ago and your left just last month. Can you go down at all on your right knee and hip/thigh? To go down I bend over and put my left hand in front of my right foot and my right hand out to my right side. Then I go down on the outer side of my right knee (leg is bent) and just go right onto my right thigh/hip. While doing this my left leg is more or less straight out to the left. To get up I roll over onto my right hip and put my weight on my toes and stick my butt in the air and walk my hands up until I am almost standing. I have found lately that once I roll onto my hip (with my right leg bent) I can bend my left leg enough to have it bent with the foot on the floor, put my hand on my left thigh and push up from there.
When I had my right knee done two years ago I started doing my exercises on the floor a few weeks after surgery. Then once I got back to the gym a few months later, I always went down on my left side and did that until this past surgery. The first time I tried to go down on the floor, I kept wanting to go down on my left side out of habit. Of course I couldn't do that and it took a few times to feel comfortable getting down on the right side.
For the first few times I would make sure someone is there in case you need help, but I'm sure you will be fine.
I hope I've explained myself so you can understand. But if there is anything that needs clarifying, please just ask. I hope this helps. Anne
 
@Nana moon 27, good luck with your class and your doctor's appointment. I'll be anxious to hear what he says. Take care, Anne
 
@gr82cu2, very similar but he was able to bend his legs more when getting up. My one leg bends some but my operated leg is usually straight. Except lately I find that I can bend it, put my foot down and put my weight on that leg in getting up.
 
@yorkiemom, thank you so much for getting back to me and with such a detailed description, I am really grateful to you. I've asked a few PTs and they have all said it's difficult with two replacement knees, and left it at that that,so I've never really tried, but as I said, I'm so scared of falling in the street, that is going to be the main part of my exercise routine this morning. I will let you know how I get on. Isn't this site wonderful!
Thanks as well @gr82cu2 for posting the video, again, it was really helpful.
 
@yorkiemom - thank you:flwrysmile:, I managed it, I can get up from the floor, thank you so much for your help today.
@gr82cu2, I've watched the video several times, I still can't do it as easily and elegantly as the Japanese gentleman does it, but the main thing is I won't be stranded if I fall down now.
 
@Ellejay you're welcome. It may take a little practice. I've done it a couple of times but both times I managed to briefly put my weight on one knee. Eewwwww it felt so gross! It didn't really hurt at all but just felt so weird and dead. Ick!
 
@Ellejay, congratulations!!!! I knew you could do it! I think that little Japanese man did it exceptionally well. I feel as though as do it pretty good, but not as easily as he does.
It's a shame that the PT's that you talked to didn't give you any hints to at least try. You proved them wrong! Every new thing that you can do gives you such a feeling of accomplishment. We can do this!!
 
Thanks for you both for posting instructions and the video! Ellejay's directed me to this and I'm going to try tomorrow :wowspring:
 
@Nana moon 27, Hi Ann! You are so sweet!! Yes, I haven't been on for over a week! Joe and I went to an all inclusive resort, Secrets Maroma Beach outside of Cancun, Mexico. We left last Wednesday and came back Sunday night.
We had a wonderful time and my knee really liked the warm weather. Going through the airport and then the transfers really gave my knee a workout with walking but I did fine. The resort had steps when you went in and out of the main building.....30 steps.....which I went up and down a couple of times a day. It was challenging at times, but I did it. One thing that I really noticed is that when I wore sneakers it was much easier to go up and down the stairs as they give you more support than sandals.
When we went through security at the Philadelphia Airport I went through the imaging machine and then they patted me down, which I think was unnecessary. They didn't have the imaging machine in the Cancun airport so I was worried, but after going through the metal detector they had me stop and just used the wand over me and then let me go through.
I have noticed in the past few weeks that when I get up from sitting for a length of time, I am not always as stiff as before and no longer limp the first few steps. The flight was over three hours and I had no problem sitting the whole time. So all and all my knee is progressing nicely. Now I just have to get back to an exercise routine. I can feel a little difference in my range of motion, so I need to work on that. How are you feeling?? Anne
 
Hi @Yorkimom

Oh bliss Anne, a holiday in the warm. Best prescription ever. I'm so glad you had a lovely time and that your knees are ok. I practically live in sneakers all the while as I find movement much easier. Plus I was told to always wear a fitted sandal with a proper strap round the ankle. No flip flops because of the strain on the knee, trying to keep your foot and leg in the right position to keep them from falling off.

Oh I'm dreaming of sunshine at the moment and warmth. I'm ok. Had some deaths fairly close together but we are coming through ok. Poor hubby lost his eldest brother on Dec 26th and the funeral was only a few weeks ago, due to a backlog over the holidays. He lost his brother in law and then the one that had really put the cap on it, he lost a close friend to cancer a couple of days ago. We'd been to see his friend on Saturday night. It was sad to see him like that. I'm relieved the poor mans out of all that. He died at home peacefully with all his family around him x We still have two funerals left to go to. Bizarrely, a family party to go to in between, I think we need to go.

TKR is doing soooo well. Left knee is awaiting replacement. I'm on the list. Probably be few months time.

Hope you're doing ok with your knees, they certainly sound as if they're doing really well. I'm so,pleased for you.

Love Ann xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Nana moon 27, hi Ann!! I was just thinking about you yesterday and thought I should check in and here you are.
I am doing well and keeping busy. My knee is improving every day but I did a dumb thing this past Saturday. I was cleaning our bathroom and was just planning on mopping up the floor. But I just can't do anything half way and decided that it just wouldn't be clean unless I got down on the floor and washed it. My bathroom is large and is all tile. I got a bg towel and tried to kneel but my left knee just couldn't take it. So I sat on the floor and scooted around washing the floor. I did have to get up on the one knee to get into the nooks and crannies. Later that night my knee was a little sore but it was mostly on the side of the knee that still has the numb feeling that was bothering me the most. After a day or so it felt okay. Then on Tuesday while bowling, I was sitting talking to one of the ladies and had my legs crossed with the left knee on top. Jen was telling me something and got up to bowl and as she passed me, she smacked my knee. I saw stars!! She just didn't think and felt so bad. Ever since then that same side amd half way down my leg I keep having the pins and needles feeling. It's like she woke up the nerves. I sure hope it goes away. Other than that everything is good and I feel like everything is back to normal.
How are you feeling? Any news on your upcoming surgery?? Anne
 
Hi @Yorkimom

Anne, if you still have pins and needles you have to get it checked out ASAP by your GP or OS X

One of the physio question was that when I met him on Monday he asked,if I had pins and needles I said not.

I'm waiting for my surgery date. It needs doing urgently now x x xx x x

Love Nana moon 27 xoxox
 
@Nana moon 27, I've always had a numb spot since the surgery but now more pins and needles. Do you know why I should be concerned? I have an appointment with my primary doctor tomorrow morning for a routine check so I will mention it to him.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom