Guest viewing is limited

TKR Yorkimom is ready to go...LTKR

Thanks everyone. @gr82cu2, I did some research last night on Bonesmart. Evidently it is a common thing. I did end up taking a pain pill again and used the heat on the back of my leg. I had read that putting the heating pad on the small of your back can help too. It finally settled down around 12:30 which wasn't bad at all and I went to bed with the heating pad on my back. I had a pretty good night, thank goodness. Another thing that I read and my daughter told me the same thing was to put a bar of soap between your sheets at the foot of your bed and it really works. How I don't know. The next time it happens I'm going to try that too.
 
@Yorkimom Hi decide to venture out from the cantina and check on everyone, sorry you have been dealing with RLS. How in the world would a bar of soap help? Strange, very strange, but if it helps, go for it! Any special kind of soap? Once in a while hubby has RLS, but not often. I don't know why things often hurt more at night, maybe less distractions so we notice it more? Hope you get some relief!
 
@tiredwife, I have no idea. I haven't used the soap yet, but will have to try it. Saturday night was the Christmas dance at the club. The band was so good and I was dying to dance but could only dance a couple of times. It's exactly a month ago that we went to Joe's class reunion where I did lots of dancing. The difference.....back then I was taking pain meds a few times a day. Now I take it before PT and at night if I need it. So I hadn't taken anything since the night before. It's amazing how much more you can do on pain meds. I was able to slow dance and I tried one swing dance, but it was too crowded and just hurt too much. Once I got home I iced my knee, while having a heating pad on the back of the other leg. Once I sat down with the ice on my knee and relaxed, the RLS started on the other leg!!! Luckily it didn't last as long as the night before and I was able to go to sleep....after taking pain meds. Yesterday I just iced, elevated and rested. Nothing else, and even then my knee was not happy. I was okay when I went to bed, but had to get up around 2 to take some meds, as the knee was hurting so much. I was hesitant about PT today, but did well. It's wierd. When my knee hurts the day/night before PT, I usually do well. I go the OS tomorrow morning so Christine measured today. My extension was 2 and I was happy about that. My flexion was 105 with her bending it back while I as lying on the table. When my leg is hanging off the table she can get it to 108. She stopped me doing heel slides about a month ago because I just couldn't get any ROM with them. Now that I have improved somewhat, I have started them again.
She looked at my records and said when I left with my right knee, it was just at about 120. I'm anxious to see what the doctor says tomorrow.
 
@Yorkimom Don't worry, you will get back to dancing! You aren't that far out, and need to let yourself heal. I think your ROM is fine. Hubby's 2 knees were so different. His right is taking a lot longer for the pain to leave, but it is getting there, yours will too.
 
You're probably still paying for the Saturday night dance :) It amazes me sometimes how doing things we would have never given 2 seconds thought to pre-op haunt us for days now. I know you realize that dancing is a knee challenger under normal circumstances. You are stepping, sometimes with force and twisting, dipping and standing and all that. I hope you had fun though. Be sure and ask your OS about the RLS tomorrow when you see him. Hope you feel better soon!
 
@gr82cu2, the thing is that I didn't really get a chance to dance. I did do one swing dance and all the turning is on the right leg. I did it fine when I was on the pai. Pills, but without them it was too much. So I only did a couple of slow dances. A friend of mine, Joan, came over to sit and talk and she said she could tell that it was killing me not to dance. When the music comes on my body just loves to it while sitting down.
I'm really anxious for tomorrow's appointment. I'm hoping he says that I can stop PT. I like going, but I am over my 24 allowed visits. They said it should be covered because the doctor requested more and my PT is billed as a hospital, but I'm worried that I'm going to open the mail to a huge bill!
 
@Yorkimom sorry you weren't able to dance like you want to. Hopefully soon you will be able to. If you need to continue PT call your insurance company and ask about the billing and what exactly is covered. Let them know you are concerned about any out of pocket expense. Good luck at your appointment tomorrow. Be sure to let us know how it goes.
 
@Minnie's knees, thanks Kathy. I did talk to the insurance company and they said I had 24 visits. Then I proceeded to tell her that where I go to PT is part of the hospital and bills as such. She put me on hold to check and then said to be on the safe side to have my doctor send in a pre authorization for more PT and that should suffice. I called my doctor's office and they said they would send it in. I haven't heard anything back and haven't gotten a bill yet. But you know insurance companies. They often tell you one thing and then do another.
 
@Yorkimom I'm still waiting for the rest of the bills from hubby's knees. It is frustrating not knowing how much we still owe! No rhyme or reason as to when the bills might show up and for what they might be. Hope your extra PT gets pushed through, you might want to call the insurance and see if they got the authorization from your OS.
 
@Yorkimom
Just checking in on you :) I'm glad you had a fun night out, Don't worry, one day
They will have to drag you off the dance floor :happyfeet:
Thinking of you :friends:
Love,
Diana :loveshwr:
 
Well I just got back from my OS appointment. He said everything looks good except of course he would like my ROMA to be better. He said that I have several options. When he said this my heart sank. Then he went on to say I could have MUA, get a jazzy brace keep going to PT or continue exercising on my own. He said that I would probably get more ROM with a MUA faster, but feels that I can get just as much with the other options. The jazzy brace is fitted on me and you wear it for about a half an hour a day and you turn the key to speak which makes your leg bend more and more but you are in control.
He said overall he thinks that the way to go is with additional PT or exercising on my own. Surprisingly he said that it might take me longer but if I continue to work on it I should be able to get to 115-120 in a few months. So we decided that I would go to PT tomorrow as scheduled and then for the next two weeks I'll go once a week and continue exercising on my own in between. He said that later in January if I don't see improvement he can send me back for more PT.
I was so happy to hear that he is not like most doctors that talk about the "window". He said it might take me longer but I can continue to improve as long as I keep working. Anne
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I was so happy to hear that he is not like most doctors that talk about the "window". He said it might take me longer but I can continue to improve as long as I keep working
I like the way your doctor thinks! There really is no need to rush to get improved ROM - and no need to exercise madly, either.

It's only 3 months since your surgery and your ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even more.

This is what one of our members (Campervan) wrote about her slow, but steady, increase in ROM.
I had a slow recovery. Here's my flex measurements at various points:
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months
 
Thanks @Celle. I thought you would like reading what my OS said and that's why I tagged you.
 
@Yorkimom so glad your visit went well. Your Dr sounds wonderful and I am so happy that he understands some of us are recovering at a slower pace.
 
Anne, I think you'll come out fine as long as you keep working on it. One thing I do for flexion is I lay back and bend my leg at the hip 90 degrees and bend my knee and just let gravity pull that lower leg down, hold until it starts to get uncomfortable, rest and repeat. There is no force other than gravity and I do think it helps. Did you ask your OS about the RLS?
 
Can you believe I completely forgot to mention the RLS!!!!! I remembered it in my way home. I'm sure he would say that it's a normal thing that will pass. That's what I have found in my research. I did remember to mention the Baker's cyst, but he wasn't fussed about it at all and said that it was common.....I knew he would say that !!!
 
but he wasn't fussed about it at all and said that it was common
Pretty much the reaction I got from my OS when I had that with my first one. It hurts though! Hopefully the RLS will pass soon for you.
 
Back
Top Bottom