Guest viewing is limited

TKR Yes, I know 40 is so young for a TKR, but I did it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @referee54! It was definitely shocking the first time I saw it ;)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yay!! I'm all done PT!! I'm just about 4 months post-op and still have good days and bad (stiff/painful) days. But I am 100% glad I had the surgery and look forward to continuing to heal and strengthen.

I go back to my OS in February and will probably schedule an MRI on my other knee to see where that stands.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Little update...

My daughter is doing well in PT. She definitely had some quad weakness and the PT is using tape to help guide her kneecaps properly until the quads are stronger. We go to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia next Monday to discuss the tumor in her right femur. Fingers crossed that it turns out to be nothing.

My new knee continues to make me proud :) I am SO glad I had the TKR, and honestly wish I had it done years ago. I get some general aches at night, some nights, after I know I've been on my feet a lot that day. Someday maybe I won't have that anymore, but even if I do - it's WAY better than the pain and discomfort I had 24/7 prior to surgery!

I still do stretches at home, and some small amounts of time on an eliptical (icing afterwards). I have signed up with friends for a beginners pilates class that starts in a few weeks, and I know I will have to modify some exercises for now, but I still think it's a good thing to keep myself moving.

Hope you all are well! Thanks again for all of your support through this. This site is a true blessing!
 
Glad to hear that both you and your daughter are doing well!
 
@kaydubs I'm glad to hear that you are doing so well.

I hope your daughter's appointment goes well on Monday.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Today is my 5 month post-op 'anniversary'. haha. We are preparing to be slammed by some major snow today/tonight - and my knee is making me VERY aware. haha. Lots of aches and stiffness. I should change careers and become a meteorologist! ;)

The appointment for my daughter had to be rescheduled b/c she had the flu. She is rescheduled for Feb 18th, which is also the same day I follow up with my OS - so we'll be making a day of it in Philadelphia. haha! She is still in PT, and being taped every appointment. So far she isn't getting much pain relief.

At the followup with my OS I plan to start discussing my right knee. I'd like to have an MRI and see what we are dealing with. (3 years ago when I had the LPKR, I just made a choice to go with the left - they both hurt the same at that point). Now that I know how good my left knee feels with the total replacement, I'm definitely game to have the right one feel just as good.

Hope anyone else in the Northeast USA stays safe and has no major storm damage!
 
Be careful in that blizzard....I can't even fathom...it's 75 here today!!

Big step on the MRI but go you on taking the bull by the horns and dealing with it. Sorry to hear about your daughter not doing better any with PT - thats a bummer. Will keep an eye out for your apt and good thoughts coming your way!
 
Sorry to hear your daughter is still experiencing pain. Maybe just more time with PT is needed. Can't imagine as a parent waiting longer to find out about my kids tumor but most tumors are benign. Enjoy the snow, we are only supposed to get 2-5 inches here, just regular winter weather.

Good to hear your knee is feeling well enough to consider doing this again so soon.
 
I was feeling really good until yesterday. Started with some minor pains in my left ankle. By this afternoon, the pain was really bad with every step and even when I wiggled my toes. I have no idea what could be going on...it's shooting/stabbing pain (reached about a 7 or 8) right on the outside of my ankle bone. I haven't fallen or banged it in any way. Anyone have any ideas?

I've actually gotten my crutches back out to try not to put weight on it tomorrow and see if that helps (temporarily).

I know that strange aches and pains are to be expected for a year or so, post-op...but this is more intense than anything I've felt so far, besides the actual knee joint early on.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have no idea what it could be but sounds like keeping weight off it for a while would be a good start - is it the Achilles or the actual ankle? swelling?
 
@TexasTee it's the actual ankle bone. No swelling that I can see, but the pain is still intense and kept me awake most of the night. I guess I might get an X-ray today for peace of mind. It's definitely a bone issue...out of the blue. Ugh!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ok, I've always known I'm "special"...but I'm over it now!! X-ray today showed a crack in my ankle. Not broken, but if I keep walking on it, the chance of it breaking is good. So now I'm in a boot (same leg as my TKR) for 6 weeks, then PT.

I'm hoping this doesn't aggrevate my still-healing knee. I take my daughter to PT today, so I'll talk to the PT about it and see what I need to do, besides rest, elevate and ice (déjà vu)!!

Please pass the wine...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] Yes, I know 40 is so young for a TKR, but I did it!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh no!!! You really can't catch a break, can you?! Hopefully the rest will do nothing but even more good for your TKR - great that you have a chance to ask the PT about it though. Good thoughts headed your way for both you and your daughter!
 
I'm sorry to hear about your ankle, @kaydubs

What a good job you decided to do something about it, though!
No guarantees here, but I shouldn't think the temporary immobilization will do your TKR any harm.
 
Thanks @TexasTee and @Celle. I talked to the PT and she said to do straight leg raises, as I can tolerate them, so I don't lose any strength. I think I'm more concerned about lifting/carrying around this heavy boot and how my TKR will feel about that.

I guess we will see!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
UGH is really all I want to say....but I'll fill you guys in as to where things stand right now in my world.

Yesterday we had an appointment scheduled for my daughter at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia to find out more about the tumor in her femur, and further discuss her ongoing bilateral knee pain (she's almost 16). Her appointment was at 10:30 and my follow up appt with my OS at University of Penn was at 1:10.

We arrived for my daughter's appt at 10:15, but were not seen by the doctor until 1:30. When I say I was annoyed and totally mad, that is an understatement! On top of that, the doctor spent about 2 minutes examining her, and talking to her, then all he wanted to discuss was this research study he was working on and wanted us to fill out paperwork to "enroll" her in his study. I have had many other wonderful experiences with CHOP in the past, but this was not one of them. I will not bring her back there...she will start seeing my OS at Penn.

In the mean time, I left there with a PT script so she can continue to strengthen, so that is our plan for now. In our short discussion, the CHOP doctor told me that her tumor was nothing to worry about, it's 1cm in diameter and it's a benign fibrous mass that is very common in adolescents. I might have the local ortho re-xray her in about a year just to make sure it doesn't grow - and go from there.

So, since the CHOP doctor saw my daughter 3 hours after her appointment time, I had to reschedule my OS appt until March 11th. No big deal, except for the addition of the ankle issues. My operated knee is definitely feeling the wrath of walking in a boot. I've had swelling and stiffness problems (icing and elevating as much as humanly possible). I am also watching for possible clots, and I have a sinking feeling I might have one. I made an appointment with the local ortho doctor that set me up in the boot (tomorrow morning) to check.

That's it for now. Thanks for those of you that have stuck with me. What a ride!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom