Guest viewing is limited

TKR Yes, I know 40 is so young for a TKR, but I did it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Yes, I know 40 is so young for a TKR, but I did it!
I went for my second post-op appointment yesterday (11 weeks post op) and was kind of blown away by the X-ray! OS said the rod going up into my femur is so long because it was a revision. Pretty cool tho, and OS was happy with my progress. He gave me another script for PT, per my request, to continue the work on extension and IT band pain in my left hip.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm starting a new "round" of PT today....my PT asked me to continue on to help with my hip pain. She said my left hip/pelvis is raised much higher than my right. She believes it is from the trauma during surgery of them "hammering" the long rod into my femur. Whatever it is, I'll be glad to have less hip pain, since my knee feels so good!
 
I hope the hip is feeling better soon.
 
How is your hip feeling after the first few days of PT? Your x-ray picture of your implant is impressive.

Thanks! My hip is still hurting, and I'm REALLY sore from the "digging" she's doing. She said the muscles/tendons (sorry, can't remember) that connect from my hips to the front, and my hips to the spine are very, very tight. She is using her hands to press on them and try to get them to relax. Hurts like a deep tissue massage...as long as it does it's job, I'm ok with it. She's also continuing to use the grastin technique on my IT band.

It's been a frustrating week. The weather has gotten much cooler, and there's been a lot of rain. My PT said everyone is stiffening up and achy this week. I'm trying to stretch a little more at home to help me feel better, but I'm in a funk, mentally. I guess I figured I'd be done PT by now and would still just be thinking about my knee. Now it seems my whole left leg is barking at me.

I think I'll have a glass of wine tonight to get rid of this funk ;)
 
I vote yes to the wine! Sounds like you have issues with your hip flexors...there are quite a few random stretches you can do for that - maybe if you google it you'd see some that you could add to the mix? I'd be ready to be done with PT too.

I'm glad you explained your implant, I was just about to google to make sure mine is no where near that long!
 
I couldn't help but chuckle at the title of your thread. At 44, I'm hearing a lot of the same noise. My first OS didn't want to perform surgery and recommended that I try to "wait it out" to age 50 at least. Oh well, no turning back now...my day is coming very soon.

Glad to see you are doing well, and glad to know there are others as young or younger than I who had to take this step in their lives as well.
 
I couldn't help but chuckle at the title of your thread. At 44, I'm hearing a lot of the same noise. My first OS didn't want to perform surgery and recommended that I try to "wait it out" to age 50 at least. Oh well, no turning back now...my day is coming very soon.

Glad to see you are doing well, and glad to know there are others as young or younger than I who had to take this step in their lives as well.

If you truly feel you will get more out of life by having the surgery NOW, then by all means do it! If I knew then what I know now, I would've had this surgery at 35. I missed out on a lot of fun with my kiddos. To me, it's not about age, but about quality of life! Good luck to you!!
 
[QUOTE="MotownGirl66@kaydubs[/USER] How are you feeling today? Did you kick the funk out?[/QUOTE]

I felt great last night while enjoying my wine...today, reality is back. HAHA. I have PT first thing tomorrow morning again...wish me luck! My mood will be great once 5pm hits tomorrow night - no work for the weekend, kids are with their dad and it's my birthday weekend! woohoo!
 
@kaydubs Happy Birthday weekend to you! Hope it was fantastic. How did PT go? My knee has been feeling okay, or so I thought. I overdid it yesterday and took a Percocet for pain and then, when the pain dissipated, I realized I had been in pain all along the entire day! This is tricky, this recovery thing. :(
 
@MotownGirl66 I hear ya! They were serious when they said it truly takes a long time to heal from TKR! I thought I was some kind of healing prodigy when I was walking unassisted at 2 weeks post-op...but man, at 3+ months post-op I feel like ****! My knee isn't too bad. Still working on the last degree of extension...but my hip/pelvis, sciatica and now fibula pain...send me out to pasture. HAHA

My birthday weekend was great and the wine was good :)
 
At 44, I'm hearing a lot of the same noise. My first OS didn't want to perform surgery and recommended that I try to "wait it out" to age 50 at least. Oh well, no turning back now...my day is coming very soon.
I am very happy to see that more and more OS's are now recognizing that it is not about your age, but your quality of life that matters.
They were serious when they said it truly takes a long time to heal from TKR
I am hoping that they can get this issue resolved with your hip---a TKR recovery does take much longer than almost any of us were prepared for, and this issue with your hip is aggravating the issue, too.
 
This Wednesday is my last PT session. Bittersweet, really. I'm certainly ready to stop paying the co-pay, taking time from work, etc. But I worry mostly b/c of my hip. Most days it feels good, normal. But some days it's really bad still. My wonderful PT has shown me the stretches to do...what to do....About a month ago I was all "I can't wait to be done", and now I'm a little worried. I suppose I could always call for a new prescription and start back up if I don't feel well.

In other news, my 15 year old daughter starts PT tomorrow (same therapist) for knee pain. She's a high school cheerleader. She had someone land on her left knee, a few weeks ago, and she's been complaining of pain ever since (in both knees). I took her immediately to an orthopedic doctor, where they did x-rays on both. X-rays showed nothing wrong with her knees - but did show a tumor in her right femur (what a fluke to find, huh?). Went for MRI's for the tumor and are heading to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in January for another opinion (ortho down here thinks it's a benign fibrous tumor). Anyway...MRI's also showed nothing wrong with her knees, so they recommended PT for her, based on the pain she's still feeling. I've pulled her from the winter session for cheer, and we are focusing on getting answers and getting rid of the pain.
 
Sorry I missed your birthday - happy belated! Congrats on graduating from PT - did they every figure out exactly what was causing the hip pain? Do you use a foam roller? Hurts a ton but it really does a lot for me.

Sorry about your daughter's knee - hopefully the PT will help, I was in gymnastics for 15ish years and a Cheerleader in HS and College - definitely hard on the knees!
 
Sorry I missed your birthday - happy belated! Congrats on graduating from PT - did they every figure out exactly what was causing the hip pain? Do you use a foam roller? Hurts a ton but it really does a lot for me.

Sorry about your daughter's knee - hopefully the PT will help, I was in gymnastics for 15ish years and a Cheerleader in HS and College - definitely hard on the knees!

Thanks for the birthday wishes :)

My PT said that b/c of the long rod that went up into my thigh bone (and the way it is inserted during surgery), my hip was pushed up and forward. Once we started working on the hip, my sciatica wasn't happy I guess. It all started complaining. She was able to get me realigned with manipulation and mobe-ing my leg (whatever that means). Once realigned, she noticed that my left leg is defintiely longer than the right now...so I have a 1/4" piece of foam to put inside of my right shoe. I literally heard angels singing when I put that in and stood straight on both legs!
 
I have been told that it is an "easy" revision from a patellofemoral replacement to a TKR but looking at your x-rays it doesn't appear so. Most of my damage is in the patellofemoral compartment but my tibiofemoral compartments are O.K. but definitely not pristine. I am very weary of having PKR only to have it revised a few years later, especially since a TKR could last 20-30 years.

Hopefully once the muscles and nerves relax you will start to feel better.
 
I have been told that it is an "easy" revision from a patellofemoral replacement to a TKR but looking at your x-rays it doesn't appear so. Most of my damage is in the patellofemoral compartment but my tibiofemoral compartments are O.K. but definitely not pristine. I am very weary of having PKR only to have it revised a few years later, especially since a TKR could last 20-30 years.

Hopefully once the muscles and nerves relax you will start to feel better.

Thanks...hopefully you're right!

Definitely discuss both PKR and TKR pros and cons with your OS. I'm sure there are a lot of different experiences out there. I can only say that when I'm ready to work on my right knee, I'm not going the partial route again.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
This Wednesday is my last PT session. Bittersweet, really.
I felt very much the same way---my last time there, I brought pizza and soft drinks for a party to thank them.
I took her immediately to an orthopedic doctor, where they did x-rays on both. X-rays showed nothing wrong with her knees - but did show a tumor in her right femur (what a fluke to find, huh?). Went for MRI's for the tumor and are heading to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in January for another opinion (ortho down here thinks it's a benign fibrous tumor).
This is a blessing in disguise---getting the knee issue and then finding the fibrous tumor. WE will keep you all in our thought and prayers.
 
This is a blessing in disguise---getting the knee issue and then finding the fibrous tumor. WE will keep you all in our thought and prayers.

That's exactly how I felt. I was in shock when they told us, and all I could think is thank god I brought her to the ortho that day! Thank you for the prayers!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom