Guest viewing is limited

TKR Yes, I know 40 is so young for a TKR, but I did it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Josephine (splitting into 2 posts)

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine) On a usual day for me, my pain level is around 2-3, usually night time is worse…prob 6ish. It’s much more of an ache than pain.

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often? Originally I was taking oxycodone extended release (10mg) twice a day, and oxycodone immediate release (5mg) every 4-6 hours. Now I have Tylenol with codeine (10mg-325) prescribed 1-2 pills every 4-6 hours. I’m taking one at night before bed, and sometimes one mid-day.

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long? I’m icing off/on all day long. About 30-45 minutes at a time. I’m fortunate enough to have a setup at work (when I physically go in) where I can prop my leg up and I bring my aircast with me to do the same icing. I get up and walk around in between icing (b/c of the family history of clots)

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long? I elevate when icing, and when I’m not icing I either walk around, or alternate elevating and sitting up straight with my feet on the floor.
 
@Josephine
5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness) I was measured last week. At that point I was at 118 degrees bend and -1 straight. After my partial (3 years ago), I got to 140 degrees bend, and totally straight in about 3 months post-op. I’m not worried about a timeline, but that’s my ultimate goal again…to get that ROM.

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and. I’m not doing a lot of housework or cleaning (that’s what my teenagers are for. Haha). I’m doing some minor cooking or baking here and there. Not really shopping, since I stocked up on groceries before surgery. My mom and/or sister are always asking if I need anything when they run to the store. I have split custody of my kids, so half the time they aren’t even here. When they aren’t, I’m more apt to eat a sandwich or something quick like that…rather than cook.

7. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)
At PT (twice a week):
· stationary bike (10 minutes)
· squats (holding on to a bar) 2 sets of 10 reps
· squats on bosu (holding on to a bar) 2 sets of 10 reps
· calf stretches (feet on incline, me leaning forward), 5 sets of 20 second hold
· total gym 2 sets of 10 reps
· lay on stomach, small bolster above knee, strap around ankle, I pull gently, only to stretch my thigh. Not pushing for bend.
· Step ups (forward, sideways and backwards) 2 sets of 10 reps
At Home:
Stretches with leg extended to work on straightening (when sitting, twice a day or so for about 10 minutes off and on)
Laying on back, holding behind my knee (leg in air) and let foot gently fall to stretch. Once a day, 10-15 reps
 
@kaydubs , @amber777 , @TexasTee -- I'm there with you ladies in the 40-something club! After many years of putting it off and trying alternative methods, I have finally set a date for LTKR (in December) and hoping I can squeeze a few more years out of my right knee before I have that one done. I'll definitely be keeping up with the 3 of you to see how you're all doing!

kaydubs - I hate that you had to go back to work so quickly! I actually work from home and my time off will be unpaid, but luckily, we are in a financial position that we can handle that without any consequences. I meet with my OS the week after next to discuss everything, but I'm thinking of an 8 week leave.

I'll definitely be reading about your progress and wish you continued success and healing!
 
@kaydubs, your recovery sounds good. Glad you met with your internist about blood thinners. One of my best friends is on them for life. Husband gave me my last shot today, and missed. He'd come out every morning waving that injection! I'm going to have PTSD, for sure.

@jeano and I were talking about the difference between recovering from a partial and a total knee replacement. Can you tell any difference between the two?
 
Injection?? Yikes! I'm on Coumadin pills, thankfully.

The recovery is exactly the same, for me...as far as scar (mine is longer this time, but still it was about 4" before), regaining strength and ROM. Difference for me is that the partial wasn't a good fit in my knee joint, so the rehab was much more painful and not as fluid/smooth to move. Never was, even when I got full ROM back...it clicked and squeaked and hurt for 3 years. I honestly wouldn't recommend a partial...from what my OS said, it's very difficult to get them to fit and align properly because they are taking a part off of the shelf and expecting it to work well with someone's existing parts.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
lunula, glad you're scheduled...that's a big step!
8 weeks off would be great! Good luck to you!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
(splitting into 2 posts)
You don't need to keep splitting your messages. In no way are your posts long, even combined!
On a usual day for me, my pain level is around 2-3, usually night time is worse…prob 6ish. It’s much more of an ache than pain.
Okay. Do remember that soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness are all types of pain and need to be medicated.
Originally I was taking oxycodone extended release (10mg) twice a day, and oxycodone immediate release (5mg) every 4-6 hours. Now I have Tylenol with codeine (10mg-325) prescribed 1-2 pills every 4-6 hours. I’m taking one at night before bed, and sometimes one mid-day.
You mean you're not taking any during the day? At 4½ weeks that's not wise.
I’m icing off/on all day long. About 30-45 minutes at a time. I’m fortunate enough to have a setup at work (when I physically go in) where I can prop my leg up and I bring my aircast with me to do the same icing. I get up and walk around in between icing (b/c of the family history of clots)
Jolly good!
I elevate when icing, and when I’m not icing I either walk around, or alternate elevating and sitting up straight with my feet on the floor.
Also good.
I was measured last week. At that point I was at 118 degrees bend and -1 straight. After my partial (3 years ago), I got to 140 degrees bend, and totally straight in about 3 months post-op. I’m not worried about a timeline, but that’s my ultimate goal again…to get that ROM.
That's the ticket!
I’m not doing a lot of housework or cleaning (that’s what my teenagers are for. Haha). I’m doing some minor cooking or baking here and there. Not really shopping, since I stocked up on groceries before surgery. My mom and/or sister are always asking if I need anything when they run to the store. I have split custody of my kids, so half the time they aren’t even here. When they aren’t, I’m more apt to eat a sandwich or something quick like that…rather than cook.
Jolly good!
At PT (twice a week):
· stationary bike (10 minutes)
· squats (holding on to a bar) 2 sets of 10 reps
· squats on bosu (holding on to a bar) 2 sets of 10 reps
· calf stretches (feet on incline, me leaning forward), 5 sets of 20 second hold
· total gym 2 sets of 10 reps
· lay on stomach, small bolster above knee, strap around ankle, I pull gently, only to stretch my thigh. Not pushing for bend.
· Step ups (forward, sideways and backwards) 2 sets of 10 reps

At Home:
Stretches with leg extended to work on straightening (when sitting, twice a day or so for about 10 minutes off and on)
Laying on back, holding behind my knee (leg in air) and let foot gently fall to stretch. Once a day, 10-15 reps
All okay. Shouldn't have bothered you!
 
@Josephine - you're no bother! I appreciate your feedback and welcome your advice. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@kaydubs
Wow, you got a stellar review from Josephine so two thumbs up for you! :thumb::thumb:
Glad to hear you are doing so well!
 
Anyone else have issues with constipation? I'm at the point where I'm getting side pains....and I know it's from not producing normal BM's. (sorry, gross topic). I took a laxative last night and that has helped some today. I'm guessing it's from being on pain meds for almost 5 weeks...?
 
@kaydubs Metamucil with psyllium (or the Walmart generic "Fiber Therapy" in a white container with and orange cap) has been my best friend at times. Psyllium acts like a broom and "sweeps out" the colon. I use the Walmart generic, and although it doesn't dissolve completely, it has a pleasant orange taste and the texture is a small price to pay for relief! Be sure to drink lots of water and follow the instructions. It will not cause diarrhea- and you'll be amazed at what has been in your colon (prob TMI, but this is Bonesmart!) If you take it in the evening, you will probably have a large (not painful) result in the morning!
 
Thought I'd share a pic of how my leg looks today, 6 weeks post-op. Tape is finally all off and I look forward to PT massaging the scar to help it along.

[Bonesmart.org] Yes, I know 40 is so young for a TKR, but I did it!
 
I think it looks great! Ask your PT about Kinesio Tape- my last PT was an advocate- among other uses, it is supposed to aid in wound healing and minimize scar formation. Just be sure the PT is trained in it.
 
Looks like you're healing fine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom