TKR Yes, I know 40 is so young for a TKR, but I did it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boo - what a shame! Sorry you had to wait so long that kind of treatment - I'm glad he doesn't think the tumor is a problem though, that's something. I think switching her makes good sense - 16 is pretty much full grown adult, at least physiologically :-)
 
Thanks for your constant encouragement @TexasTee It means so much!

I went back to the local ortho today about my ankle. I don't have a clot or any reason to think I'd develop one. Glad to hear it. She offered to put me in a hard cast, to stabilize my ankle more (should be less painful), but I declined. I'd rather not have to go back to using crutches and be non-weigh baring. I just need to get on a somewhat regular schedule of tylenol and stop doing too much.
 
I'm sure it's rough to finally get to a point you can do more with the knee and have to pull back - but great news that there is no danger of a clot!!
 
Hello all (if anyone is still here) and happy Friday!!

This past Weds was my (rescheduled) 6 month follow up with my OS. He was very happy with my range of motion, but of course very concerned about my broken ankle. He reassured me that I can't do any damage to my TKR, unless I hit it hard, fell on it...something like that. He said any discomfort/swelling I have in the knee is just my knee's way of saying, "Hey! Why aren't you walking normally? Why do you have this extra weight on your foot?" HAHA! He said once the boot is off and the ankle is healed, my knee will be absolutely fine again. He did order a bone density test for me (once the boot is off), because it's odd that I have no explanation for the ankle fracture. He also gave me a script for knee/hip PT to go along with the ankle PT I will be doing in a few weeks. He said I will need my hips re-aligned again and wants my PT to make sure my knee gets happy again.

So, I feel better - mentally. 2 more weeks of the boot and then we will take it from there. I can't say enough about how much I love my OS. He is patient, thoughtful and absolutely wants the best for me (and I assume all of his patients)!

I also asked his opinion on my daughter's "tumor". I just gave him the bare bone facts...16 year old girl, non-ossifying fibroma, 1cm in diameter. And asked...what would you do? He said to make sure she is re-xray'd in 6 months and if there is NO change, then don't have another thought about it. If there is even the slightest change...he will gladly see/treat her. So that's were we stand. In May or June I'll have her re-xray'd and we go from there!

Have a great weekend :)
 
Good news on the ROM and that he's prescribing PT for all your needs - hopefully you'll be fully functional soon! Sounds like a good plan for your daughter...a good surgeon makes all the difference, doesn't it?
 
[Bonesmart.org] Yes, I know 40 is so young for a TKR, but I did it!


Just about 7 months post-op. I'm happy with the scar, considering my OS went right over the previous scar. I thought it would look a whole lot worse.

My knee is a little swollen again, because of the boot. It'll go away once my ankle heals and I can walk normally again.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Wow your young as I am. I'm 36 and had partial. Then tie. 37 lol had to have converted to full.


Hope all goes well with you. And most all your daughter. Xxx best luck healing.



FaithMitchMommy

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great your doing well. And your welcome. Was read over thread checking on everyone. Cause want to see how everyone is recovering. And see if there is any thing I am missing and anything I can do that I'm not doing. Xxxxx



FaithMitchMommy
PKR Dec 1 2014
TKRev MAR 2 2015

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Scar looks amazing for having been used for 2 ops, good for you!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Yes, I know 40 is so young for a TKR, but I did it!
not really an update...but posting so I remember this moment! My boot and I together in Key West. Haha!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
A quick update to say...as much as I mentally needed Key West, my leg physically didn't handle it well. Both my ankle and knee swelled a lot (the dr's warned me it would happen with the flight and the heat). Iced them as much as I could on the trip, and continue to do so now that I'm home. I start PT this Thursday for both the knee and the ankle (and most likely some hip adjustments). Looking forward to feeling good again!!

(I'll see if I have a picture of the swelling - which took a toll on my extension too)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Yes, I know 40 is so young for a TKR, but I did it!


Swelling in knee is definitely visible here, as well as the shrinkage in my left calf from the boot. Haha!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Started back at PT today...my PT said I'm not too bad off. I've lost a little extension and flexion in my knee b/c of walking with the boot - and my left arch has fallen, so we need to try to get that strong again. She said I was a little swollen on the back of my left knee, and she said it was pretty tight. All things she can help me with.

I go back twice next week and we'll start in with the exercises and come up with a plan :)
 
My PT had a family emergency last week, so back at it today. After a quick spin on the stationary bike, she did some stretching/pressure on the back of my knee to help things loosen up. Definitely feeling very stiff in the knee the last week or so - no pain at all in the knee or the ankle. We did some exercises to help strenthen my foot and calf, along with some more stretches for knee extension. The ice at the end felt GREAT! haha. Back again on Thursday.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom