Guest viewing is limited

TKR Yes, I know 40 is so young for a TKR, but I did it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, @kaydubs - your story is very inspiring. I also like the way you have chronicled your recovery--very easy to follow. Like you, I have a desk job and a flexible situation which means that if things go well, I hope to be working remotely after 3 weeks. I know that's discouraged in some cases, and I will not push what is not reasonable, but it's sure helpful to know that it can be done, especially considering in your case where you had revision surgery. I'm 56 and consider myself in the "younger" percentiles for this surgery. I wish you continued progress and improvement on this journey!
 
Josephine, sorry, I was just feeling extremely frustrated at that moment and instead of looking around at the articles, I vented. Much better now!
 
@PuppyLove my PT has used the Kinesio tape on me a couple times so far (I'm sporting black right now, haha), but mostly on the sides of my scar to assist with the swelling I still have. She said once some of the small scabs fall off of the scar, then she will have more options with the tape to help heal the scar. My scar seems to be "sinking" a bit and she wants to pull it up and out (I believe that's what she said). She's absolutely wonderful. She's also using the Graston technique to help with some IT band pain I'm having. She said she can use that over the scar also, once the scabbing is gone.
 
@Lusknewknees Thanks for your kind comments! Working from home was absolutely a godsend, but definitely listen to your body. I didn't work any full 8 hour days in the first few weeks, unless I broke up those 8 hours into portions of times with lengthy breaks in between for resting. I'm now back to working in the office 4 days/week and working at home 1 day. I bring my aircast ice bucket with me to work and have a setup to prop my leg under my desk. The worst part is lugging it back and forth - but I definitely need it.

Good luck with your surgery and feel free to reach out any time :)
 
I saw my primary physician yesterday and I am officially OFF of blood thinners! She said since I'm up and moving around well, and my blood thickness is in a normal range...I am fine to go off of them. I'm so glad to not have to deal with the twice/weekly blood draws.
 
Update this week (7 weeks post-op): At PT on Monday, my flexion was 125 degrees and felt pretty good/not stiff. yesterday I was sore, but the weather here has been SO humid and raining on/off which has always bothered my knees. Today I had PT again...did some more bike/stretches/etc. I asked to hold off on squats and lunges as they seem to be aggrevating my right knee ("good" knee). Today I measured at 131 degrees. Wasn't an easy 131 at all. Not a position I could sit at comfortably, but it didn't hurt bad either. My PT measured my "good" leg to see what my normal is and it's 140. So it's good to know I'm not THAT far off, but still have to get to the point where it isn't uncomfortable to bend that far.

I'm still at -1 for extension. PT said she will probably start to work on extension one day/week and flexion one day/week because we really have mainly been working on the flexion.
 
:shrug:WHY do I feel guilt? I feel guilty for having a temporary handicapped parking decal (possibly taking a space away from someone that needs it more) and I feel guilty for still being on pain meds. WHY?? I still need them! I don't take them for the sake of taking them....I take them when I'm hurting. Something wrong with my brain....
 
You cannot win, women come with guilt "factory installed".

I don't like taking narcotics either, but they help. I also remember that Josephine took them for four months. I wish I had a temporary handicapped parking sticker, but I hardly go anywhere. In Florida, we had one when my mother was alive. There are never any spots available, and the oldies would get quite feisty about them. Use it while you need it, and don't give it another thought.

I finally got the nerve to use an electric cart at the supermarket and it was not charged!
 
You're so right about the guilt. I'm not even on narcotics anymore...I'm taking tylenol with codeine ... but I still feel bad about myself when I have to call and ask for a refill.

And that supermarket electric cart experience...that totally would've been me! haha
 
women come with guilt "factory installed".
Oh I LOVE that!
I finally got the nerve to use an electric cart at the supermarket and it was not charged!
Been there, done that. Only thing that's worse is having one run out of charge half way through. You feel a right prat sitting there helpless, waiting for a member of staff to come with another one!
but I still feel bad about myself when I have to call and ask for a refill.
I actually had to chuckle when I read this but at myself. Earlier this week I found I'd let myself run out of one of my diabetic pills and though the pharmacist was willing to give me enough to tide me over, I needed enough for 2 days which was 8 tablets (2 twice a day) but according to his computer I was only on one twice a day! He phoned the surgery (next door in an adjoining building!) but they could only confirm what he had. So I went to the surgery and spoke with the receptionist - same result. Waited for the nurse to come and ended up literally begging her to supply me with these 8 tablets!
[Bonesmart.org] Yes, I know 40 is so young for a TKR, but I did it!
How daft was that!
 
Hi @kaydubs. I am 42 and had bilateral in September. Your doing great in your rom. At 6weeks out my right leg is good but my other is 115.
I am a little shocked about your dr saying you didn't need pt. I thought they lived for that. ;) just kidding.
Hopefully you are set up for work. Even if you bring your own folding chair and a stack of pillows and icing mechanisms. Good luck on your recovery looks like your doing great. But don't over do it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@kaydubs - nice to read your recovery thread - and seriously, I'll just echo what everyone else is saying, don't feel guilty at all. If you do, watch one of those TKR videos and remember what you've just been through! It's temporary and sometime (hopefully very soon) you won't need that handicap spot or the pain killers anymore. But while you do, just accept it and don't give it another thought!

I'm very glad you're doing well. It honestly makes me feel a lot better about my surgery coming up in December!
 
Another member of the "but you're so young" group here! (Though I've been saying if I had a nickle for each time... I'd have, like, $2.40!)

I couldn't imagine going back at four weeks! I'm out for at least another four (I'm six weeks post-RTKR), but I also work retail and am on my feet the entire time I'm there. My OS wanted me to take 12 weeks, but I have the feeling I'll be completely stir crazy by then. I was fortunate enough to be able to sit on my vacation and personal time, and use that. And I've already worked out with my scheduling manager how they're going to slowly get me back on the schedule when the time comes. It just means I'll be trapped behind a cash register during the holiday rush. (go. me. :bawl:)

I understand what you mean about the guilt over asking for refills. I'll have to call for one on Monday, and I'm convinced they're going to refuse me. If they do, we're going to have to discuss options because, even though I've been able to cut way back, there are times it really is necessary!

And on teenagers: Mine was, amazingly, incredibly helpful. And really good at looking after her Ma on the days that I just needed to go have a pity party while I wondered what the heck I'd done to myself!


 
Little frustration here...my IT band is being a pain. Literally. I'm having pain in my left hip and my PT says it's my IT band. She says it's extremely tight and is also another reason I'm not getting past -1 extension. She's using the grastin technique on the back of my leg now, and up the side to my hip. She also has me doing more hamstring stretches, and IT band massages (on foam roller).

I see my OS next week for my 2.5 month follow up appointment. I feel like I felt better going into my 2 week post-op appt than I do with this one.
 
Kaydub, it feels like the different parts of our leg take turns hurting. I would imagine that everything has to learn to fit and adjust to working together. It's a lot to ask of our leg to accept a new part!

I know I wake up in the middle of the night and discover "new" areas.

Good luck at the docs.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom