Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @busylizzie

I'm glad you had a good day yesterday. Like you said about my going out..it's very good for morale x x x you were right. Trouble was I was over due on pain meds and couldn't cope very well when we got in. I'm ok now just resting and I think that's what you're going to end up doing too ((((hugs)))) x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxox
 
Back from the physio. She massaged and ultrasounded my leg. It is a little easier now. Wish I could have more days like Saturday!
 
Hi @busylizzie.

I'm so glad your knee/leg is a tad easier now. I hope you get a repeat of Saturday really soon. I'm icing and elevating, nearly asleep x x xx
 
Sarurdays will repeat cept will be a day ending in Y. Hope your strength in every way is growing.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks @Legin you always make me smile. You so cheer people up.

Yesterday the physio worked on breaking up some of my scar tissue around my knee. Yes she succeeded but has made things worse. I think the scar tissue was acting like a cage keeping everything in place, now she has reduced it I am getting even more movement in my leg and it is going even more out of alignment. With a result my foot pain has increased. Scar tissue does have some benefit!
 
Oh Sue,

I read about the PT. The only thing is that as bad as this sounds maybe it will enable Peter James to see exactly what is going on in there.

Unusually the ice helped the non TKR, which hates being cold. I've out the ice in my TKR now. That is not as bad and does respond to the painkillers. However I've had to take the top up because of the other knee x

Anyway, I'm going to play a couple of games and pray for sleep x x x

I do hope your foot goes down soon

Love Ann x x x
 
Hi bussylizzie do you have any circle hospitals near you? They are private but you can ask for referral on NHS it could be worth checking out the knee surgeons and their reputation the one at Bath has a great guy who I saw after being changed from a NHS hospital I had little confidence in


20/01/2015
 
@Homeport , it is a long saga.

I was referred to a knee surgeon in approx June 2010 after my knee pain came back. I had an arthroscopy at a private hospital nearby on the NHS. I had used this surgeon before. After the arthroscopy he strung me along. I needed a TKR. I have metal allergies. He wouldn't commit himself to giving me a date. He got to his time limit for the surgery and suddenly without any discussion transferred me to the local NHS hospital. When I asked why I was told I had to go to a hospital that had an ICU in case I had complications. I wasn't happy about that and refused to have the op there. I had had a previous bad experience there. I almost had a break down.

The GP then referred me to another NHS hospital. For some reason I wasn't allowed to go to Wrightington. This new hospital was also a nightmare and made a bad job of the surgery and I was released in agony. Something was obviously wrong. I ended up having a revision of the patella button there and a synovectomy. Still no improvement. They wanted to do a full revision 'because it works sometimes we don't know why'. At this stage I decided to go elsewhere for a second opinion.

This is when I joined BoneSmart. I went to Wrightington and the potted version is that I had a 2 stage revision there. After the 2nd stage my foot was turned outwards and down, similar to a dropped foot. My leg was out at an angle and I walked with great discomfort on the outer portion of my foot. My knee when bent wasn't in line with my foot. Christmas day this released and my leg went back in alignment. The pain has been horrible. I am now at a stage where my leg goes in and out of alignment 24/7 and no one can tell me why.

I have asked for a second opinion at Nottingham City Hospital as there is a good revisionist there. I feel I must stay with an NHS hospital as I may require the additional facilities they offer. I considered paying to see this new consultant at his private practice for a first consult but his waiting list was twice as long as the NHS one. I have 1 1/2 weeks to wait now.

This is a very condensed version of the events of the last almost 5 years. I have heard of the specialist at Bath and at one stage thought of going there, but it is far too far to go. I have to think of Hubby also and him visiting me. Nottingham is quite a haul from here as it is. I haven't driven since all this has happened.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good synopsis of what you have been through the last 4+ years.
As always, hoping you finally find some answers about your in and out knee.
 
I am sorry to hear what you have been through this has been a long journey for you
I do hope that this gets resolved with your next consultation
Bath was an hour journey for my husband and in January the weather was not good so I did worry I can understand your concerns
It was a concern about private hospitals they will not take any risks if there is anything unusual with patient and refer them back to NHS


20/01/2015
 
When I thought things couldn't get any worse, they have. Last night whilst in bed my knee cap decided to move over to the lateral side. I had had increasing foot pain yesterday and more movement of my leg since the physio on Tuesday. It felt really odd. When I realised what had happened I managed to get it back over to where it should be and propped my leg in a position to keep it in place.

This morning it is still in place and I have my brace on. The knee is tender to touch. As I said in an earlier post, the physio had worked on the scar tissue and released some of it. On hindsight, it wasn't a good idea. I will have to be very careful now until my appointment with Peter James.
 
I'm so sorry to read about how everything is increasingly difficult. I just wanted to mention Oswestry, I think someone esle talked about it.
https://www.rjah.nhs.uk/
I know one or two people who've been there.
Hugs,
Sue.
 
Thanks @Dabber,

We have been going to near Welshpool every year for a long time. We pass the sign to the Oswerstry hospital on the way. I have thought about going there. It will be my next option after Nottingham. Solar cycles seems to be very positive about Nottingham, I hope the same happens with me.
 
I come from Nottingham so.....it's home ground for me, our eldest was born in the City Hospital! I don't know a lot about Oswestry but I suspect it's where I'd have to go for further osteoarthritis surgery, I know they have an oncology ward as a friend went there with a fractured hip due to cancer. I've been there for a Dexa scan.
All the best for it.
:console2:
 
@Dabber,

I spent 3 years as a student at Nottingham. I was there when Queens Hospital was being built. I used to live in Beeston.
 
Our daughter was at Nottingham University and she now lives in Beeston! 2 of my grandchildren were born at the Queen's. My husband actually was living at Beeston when we met. I worked at Wollaton Hall. :) Happy times.
 
I have been to Wollaton Hall and the Deer Park. Another favourite was Attenborough Nature Reserve. I used to cycle quite a lot.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom