Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got home. No painkillers given despite being told I would have IV paracetamol and tramadol. I am in a lot of pain. Couldn't even have my own painkillers that I took with me as I would need to wait for a doc to write them up. So I said I was going home not waiting as it would be quicker that way. I am in bed with the ice on and painkillers taken.

Inconclusive investigation he still doesn't know what the problem is. He is going to discuss the xrays with some of his colleagues. He keeps saying knee implant looks OK. He mentioned knee cap and shaving off some of the bone and releasing some of the tissues. He thinks perhaps it may help. Personally, I don't think the knee cap is the problem. He also said to try and keep knee in alignment which is impossible! I mentioned going for a second opinion.

So no further forward. I go back to see him on the 11th January.
 
Oh you must be so disappointed, and fancy them not giving you any pain relief, that is bad. I assume you mean Feb 11th and not Jan 11th? Hope you can get comfortable and have some rest this afternoon.xx
 
Yes I mean Feb11th. Been thinking of complaining about anaesthetist. I asked about taking my painkillers before going to theatre and he said no he would give me some there. It never happened. It was the pain afterwards not so much as the pain during the xrays. I couldn't bend my leg afterwards. I was asked my pain score back on the ward and said it was a 2 1/2 out of 3. Nurse said they might not let me go like that but that I had to wait for a doc before I could have pain meds.
 
Oh @busylizzie

How rotten. Oh I just don't know what to say. The Anaesthetist was well out of order.
I think you need a second opinion. I'm just so sorry that you didn't get any answers today.

((((Hugs)))

Love from Nana moon 27 xoxoxox
 
@Nana moon 27,

Just been re-contacting Peter James's secretaries for a second opinion. Great minds think alike! Private appointments 7 weeks waiting, NHS 3 to 4 weeks. I have a GP appointment early Wednesday morning to discuss it. I need a solution to this problem.
 
Oh well done you @busylizzie, your fighting spirit is returning. Yaaay!!! Good for you getting a GP involved. I hope you appointment goes well and that He/she may be able to speed up the process x x x

((((Hugs)))) xxx
 
He also wants me to restart physio again. I have booked an appointment but in one breath he says keep leg aligned and then in another exercise. They are not mutually exclusive. As soon as I start moving leg alignment ceases. That doesn't take into account how much movement affects pain levels. We shall see. My physio will not hurt me, she is good.
 
Keeping my fingers crossed for your GP appointment and arranging a second opinion. Your appointment on the 11th will be interesting.
I am speechless about the poor pain control you received, your OS or anesthesiologist could have ordered them ahead of time.
Glad you trust your Physio to make sure you stay safe.
All the best,
 
Hi @busylizzie, just happened upon your thread and decided to pop in. I wanted to wish you well and so sorry to see you did not have anything for pain during your hospital stay. That is just terrible. Hope you are feeling better. At least you are home and can get your own pain medicine when you need it. Rest and Ice. Have a blessed day and feel better real soon. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
@busylizzie,

Hmmm,

The Kneecap issue might not be as far fetched as you would think. When my kneecap slid out after my revision, I had pain and instability! I couldn't tell what was going on at first, because pain pretty much took over. It feels like bones are moving, when in in reality, every time the kneecap shifts, everything is off track.
You lose the ability to track with your leg and when it pops out, the bones shift with it. Have your physio gently hold both sides of your kneecap when you try to do a simple exercise and she will be able to tell you if it is tracking properly.
 
@RestAssured, he watched my kneecap on the screen, as I did some of the time, whilst he manipulated my leg. No real movement noticed. Surely it would have shown up then.
 
@busylizzie,

Fixed hinge vs rotating hinge has little to do with patella instability. Another woman in therapy had a fixed hinge and was having the same problems as me! X-Rays don't tell the whole story either unfortunately. When you are in PT, the situation will be different. It is worth a try to see if it is a patella issue. That would save you another revision!:console2:
 
I went to see the GP this morning to ask for a second opinion referral. I have asked to see Peter James. Her secretary is checking it out whether she can refer me directly as it is out of area.

Since I was up early we decided to join the ODIC today and continue on over to Yorkshire to see my Mum. I haven't been for almost 2 months I think. She was overdue a dementia home review. It was beautiful crossing the pennines sun, blue sky and snow but very cold. It was one of her better days. Then out for late lunch and come home. The pain was bad today but I just felt I had to go. I have been wanting to go since Christmas.

I crashed out when we got in and I am ready for bed now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom