Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Busylizzie,
Glad to hear you do not need gallbladder surgery right away and can wait. Very sorry to hear you appointment has been put off until the end of February. I hope there is someway you are seen sooner.
Did they say you can wear the brace some of the time?
Sending you positive thoughts and prayers.
 
Thanks, as I came out of yesterday's appointment he said keep the next appointment, then this new one came in the post today. I will be wearing the brace if this pain continues. I will see what happens next week with the physio. How I feel at the moment I don't feel as if it will be productive. Every bend it feels like it is catching and hurts.
 
Hang in there, @busylizzie ! I know this is hard, but I'm sure it will all work out in the end - even if the end seems so far away right now. :console2:

We're here to listen and offer moral support, so don't hesitate to vent when you need to.

When you go to physio, it might help if you ask your PT if she can do anything to ease some of the pain (massage etc?) but not cause you any more pain. Right now, you need gentle treatment.
 
Physio that I have chosen to go to, I've known for a long time. She will not hurt me, she is very experienced and gentle. I can't even do heel slides at the moment without pain. My ROM comes back a little if I rest and support my leg but after a couple of bends it seizes up again. It feels raw inside. Every bend it catches 3 or 4 times. I can feel it in a specific spot on the outside of my knee, nowhere else, when I place my hand on the joint. With the brace on preventing this movement life is bearable.
 
Your PT should be able to help you with determining what is happening with your knee, she should be able to feel that catch. Sounds like rest is best for you right now.

We're here to listen and offer moral support, so don't hesitate to vent when you need to
:console2:
 
Lizzy.....I am so sorry for all that you have been through. In spite of everything, I think you are doing a wonderful job speaking up for yourself during this difficult time. With what you're feeling, it seems impossible to me to have anyone throw up their hands and say nothing is wrong.

When @Josephine gets back online following her TKR, maybe she will have some ideas or know of someone else you can talk with. In the meantime, we're certainly here for you when you need to talk. My prayers are with you.
 
With my consultant not having much time on Thursday to see me as he came out of theatre, he didn't really examine me, he just got me to take off the brace and walk a few steps. My leg wasn't too bad then as the brace had been on all morning and I had been using a wheelchair most of the time or my crutches swinging through. It didn't hyperextend either but did so at home later the same day. We spent the time looking at the CTscan sequence and discussing it. The scan was done before my leg, foot and ankle rotated round to the correct position. We also looked at before and after xrays.
 
@Pumpkln,

When I went to see my GP at the first opportunity after it happened at Christmas, she said it needs a scan. My consultant is out of the country now. My best course of action, I think is to go to the physio on Thursday and let her assess it. She has years of experience in orthopaedic recovery. She recommended stopping physio last time until I got working orthotics to sort out my foot/ankle. It was futile to continue with the physio as I was then. That was back in October.
 
I took a sleeping tablet last night ( GP prescribed to be used very occasionally) and I have slept straight for ten hours. I am still in bed, still tired, still resting. After the week that I have had, today I need to chill out. Hopefully no visitors, just relaxation and rest.
 
I managed a trip around the supermarket on my scooter this afternoon with help, but even without any walking I have come back in more pain. My whole leg aches and my knee hurts. I have rested and elevated since I came back but the pain is still there. I think I will go back to bed soon.
 
@busylizzie. Just finished reading through all your threads...my heart goes out to you with all that you have been going thru. And to top it off fibromyalgia the worst.... And gall bladder problems. Us no body part safe from pain. Hoping in time you will get some relief from all your pain...nerve pain is so hard to tolerate wishing you peaceful days and nights. Ps big advocator of sleeping pills. But be careful if you are taking ambien. I take 1 mg Xanax every night to sleep
It helps me tremendously. Be well. Crossing my fingers for you that you get the answers and care you need ASAP


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sooo glad re sleep you so needed it lizzbizz. I hope the rest will help. Thonking of you

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Tried a sleeping tablet again last night, nowhere near as effective. Dozed on and off all night. I am sneezing away this morning, wondering if I've caught a cold. I have been mixing a lot more last week, plenty of opportunities to pick up bugs!
 
Lizzy...I was talking last night with Jo about you and both of us wondered if you would be willing to talk with another surgeon for an opinion. Here are a couple of suggestions Jo had for you. I sure think it might be good to get another set (or two) of eyes on your knee.

Mr Andy Manktelow

Mr John Skinner
 
Thank you @Jamie and Josephine, it is certainly worth doing some research on the two of them and seeing them. The pain is manageable so long as I don't walk. Just about bearable if I walk straight legged. If I bend my knee I am in agony. I was going to wait until Thursday until I see the physio. I know her well and have done so for about twenty years. She will not do ANYTHING to hurt me more than I do now. She will feed info about my knee back up the chain through my GP.

I had a thought, when they did the CTscan, my bad leg hip was very much higher on the screen than the other. The bed I had to lie on wasn't flat, it was dished. I was twisted. It was the only way I could get my leg in the correct place to go into the scanner. When we ran through the scans on screen, the alignment didn't look too bad. I wonder if this masked the mal rotation.

Could it be my small patella now that is catching, although it is definitely just where the end of the hinge is on the lateral side, not all over the front of my knee? The xrays this week didn't show up anything.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom