Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, we ventured out in the bad weather over the Pennines to see my mum today. Motorway was at a snail's pace at times and there was the remnants of snow on the side of the road on the exposed section. Not a pleasant journey. It wasn't a good day for Mum either. She has final stage dementia and her behaviour can be erratic. I had to keep my distance and make sure my crutches were out of reach. We left her a while to sort out a few things in her room. When we came back she was as nice as pie and we got a smile. She has no idea who we are.

We have been at son's this evening baby sitting youngest grandchild. It was the second viewing of the school Nativity play tonight and son and DiL went. Hubby and the other grandma went yesterday afternoon. We could only get 4 tickets so I said that I wouldn't go, I would have needed hubby to take me. I missed last year too as I'd just come out of hospital a few days before. Next year I will go.
 
Glad you got a chance to see your Mother when she was in a good mood, I am sure she enjoyed the visit, even if she cannot remember anything.
 
Hiya busylizzie I have worked with.severe dementia and did.a lot of.work with families helping them come to.terms with.their.relatives. It can.be.a traumatic desease. But at same time I have had.brilliant conversations with.80 yr olds who think they are.going to see.grandma. I also have had to cope with the violent rage of frustration they go thru.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin, thanks, Mum can be quite violent at times. She is almost 90 and stared showing signs of dementia over 20 years ago when my Dad died suddenly. She has been in a specialist dementia unit for almost 7 years. She has multi infart dementia. She has always been in denial refusing to admit that anything was wrong with her. She even convinced a social worker that she could 100% look after herself, er no. A consultant in the early days gave us some good advice. He said to her it is us that are different and have a problem, and to laugh at some of the mishaps with her not at her. She has done some funny things over the years. It is amusing now being a fly on the wall in a room full of the residents. There are really odd conversations going on with those who are still able to speak. Children and pets visiting bring out the best in them. We have grown to know and like a lot of the residents each with their own quirks and mourn their passing.
 
@busylizzie :console2:

My mother had the same sort of dementia as yours, although she died before she progressed to being violent. I know how hard it is to see the person you love deteriorating like that.
Mum was also very good at covering up things that happened and she had a plausible excuse always ready for the social workers.

I hope your leg pain improves and you can get some rest today.
 
Thanks @Celle,

Mum's granddad lived to be 99 which was virtually unheard of at that time and was fit and healthy to the end. We are just hoping Mum doesn't live that long as it is a horrible existence at the moment. Her dad died when she was eleven in 1936 of an ulcer which antibiotics these days would have sorted. She came home one lunchtime to hear the news from a neighbour and was sent back to school that afternoon. It has affected her badly all her life. In recent years it has been her dad that she remembers the most, followed by her mum and brother. Everyone else ceased to exist including me and her husband of 47 years. Now sadly virtually all memories have gone. It is very sad to watch the deterioration.
 
@busylizzie you have the.right attitude enjoying the funny moments. A song me.and songs hey by Tim Wheeler he describes pain at seeing the man who isn't his father anymore. Then.as.he puts it he finds love for his father again. Very moving. Sheeeeeeesh me and songs take care lass and keep smiling

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I am having a bit of a rough time at the moment. I have been to docs this morning. My digestive system has decided to flare up again this last week. I have abdominal adhesions and nerve damage from previous surgeries. I have now cut out all non essential meds to give it a rest and that includes painkillers. The doc put me on proton pump inhibitors and I have to phone her on Thursday if there is no improvement. The pain from that and my leg is keeping me awake at night. I can manage the days OK.
 
.know the.feeling went.to. bed shattered and.ping leg on fire and brain doing its I'm.a.pinball thing. Sheeeeeesh ooooips pardon language

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin, I'm still awake too. I keep feeling as though I might get to sleep, then I move .........and I am awake again.
 
Aye lass I.was shattered hardly managed stairs and here I am. Anyway isn't night time tv rubicunes

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Don't think sleep is on its way. My stomach is really playing up at mo.
 
Aww sorry I'm just awake with a hotleg sheeeesh first time I ever had hot anything

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Ah well could be worse I could.be an.ogre ooops

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom