Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you can get some sleep tonight. When you work on one thing it seems to kick up another. Do hope the gait analysis is soon. I do think you have reason to hope since it seems the podiatrist "gets". Wishing you some relief soon.
 
I'm happy to hear you're taking the bull by the horns and pushing these folks to get you in to see the gait specialist as quickly as possible. It's important, as you know to get this addressed....and soon. Meanwhile, do your best to keep weight off the problem foot. Have you tried rolling a frozen water bottle on the bottom of your foot? Sometimes that can help.
 
I have phoned podiatrist this morning and I am waiting for a call back. Knee and leg still not so good. I don't know why the knee pain is so bad. I had a rough night. Thinking of trying to get urgent appointment with consultant if possible but waiting for now.
 
I turned up for my appointment to find that my podiatrist had got stuck in bad traffic and she has had to rearrange my appointment. I am now going late tomorrow afternoon.:sad:
 
Darn. Hopefully the podiatrist can light a fire under the gait analysis/orthotics people.
 
Fingers crossed for a successful appointment for you today xx

Shortie x
 
I am back from the podiatrist. She was very surprised at the effect of the strapping. She is going the get in touch with the gait analysis on Monday morning and try and expediate the referal to urgent. She is unwilling to try anything else at the moment as she doesn't want to make it any worse than what it is. I am going to get in touch with the surgeon on Monday as she is saying that I need a scan to work out what is happening with my soft tissues. She reckons what is happening is very complex. She agrees with the physios that I need to keep using my crutches and stay off my leg as much as possible. All in all I think I have found a great podiatrist. She has an MBE for services to podiatry.
 
This is starting to sound like progress is being made. I'm happy for you!!!
 
I have been to the GP this afternoon as I can't get rid of this cold. It's been over a fortnight now. Just as I think it is going it comes back with a vengeance. I haven't been good the last few days, low grade temp, sore sinuses etc. Now on antibiotics again. Hope they work. She reckons that I'm run down and not fighting it off as I normally would. Glad I went.

I updated her about my knee/foot whilst I was there. She couldn't believe that I was still having problems but agreed that the alignment is visibly off. It is very easy to spot, especially if I bend my knee.

I rang the consultant's secretary this morning and it looks like I'll have an appointment on the 8th October, the first day that he is in clinic. I could go before but I'll have to see one of his juniors which is what I don't want to do. I haven't heard from the podiatrist yet as to whether the gait analysis can be moved forward. I'll ring her later on if I've not heard or possibly in the morning.

Foot/leg/knee pain continues and is bad at times, I feel like screaming, but it wouldn't do much good. I'm continuing using my crutches and doing non load bearing exercises and stretches. The only way I can see the problem being sorted is with more surgery and I don't really want to go down that path unless I really have to and there is an excellent chance that it will fix the problem. Why can't things go right with me for a change. I am trying to stay positive but it is very hard at the moment. I am using all the distraction techniques that I know about. Keeping as busy as I can, whilst resting my leg.
 
Sounds like things will improve now that you have an appointment. It is hard to be patient under normal circumstances and this is anything but normal. I would also be very hesitant at more surgery but would do whatever I needed to!

Remember we are all here for you. Special prayers coming your way for a solution!
 
@busylizzie

Good Morning,
I have been reading your posts here to catch up as to how you are.
And it seems that you are not in a good place at the moment.

Hopefully, your gait analysis appointment can be brought forward and at least you have an appointment with the OS scheduled for 8 October( know that can seem a long way away).

A few years ago, I had to have surgery on my big toe to cut one of the ligaments as the big toe wasn't touching the ground- sort of like trigger finger in the hand- but with me in my toes.

It has helped, but toe is now numb although feels better after the LTRK.
That is also the foot that I also suffered from Plantar Fasciitis - so we have that in common and have used custom orthotics for a number of years.

My situation was so less problematic than yours, feel so sorry for you and all that you are going through.

Take care,
Cathie
 
The gait analysis unit have just been in contact. I now have an appointment 4 weeks today, the earliest they can fit me in, thanks to my podiatrist speeding it up. I have been looking at the misalignment and the only way I can see it being fixed is by more surgery, which is something I really don't want after all I have been through with this knee/leg. I will have to wait and see, nothing moves fast over here. Patience is a virtue!

I am going to try and take a photo of the misalignment. If I manage to get a decent one I will post it later on today
 
Hard to get a photo to show what is happening. First photo is how I was when spinal wore off with the outside of my left foot twisted but the alignment doesn't look bad. There was no way I could walk like that. Second photo is with foot in correct position for walking. You can see how much it has to twist round and the alignment is out. When I weight bear and actually walk my foot adopts a position between the two and I put all the pressure on the outside of the foot and my big toe doesn't touch the ground. It is hard to explain. It is easier when you see it in real life. My scar used to be straight down the middle of the leg in line with my foot before this last revision. My right leg is approx 2cm (3/4") shorter than my left leg since the original TKR. It has always been a little shorter due to compound fracture of Tib and Fib when I was a child but not 2cm.

[Bonesmart.org] Would like advice please, I think knee has moved
[Bonesmart.org] Would like advice please, I think knee has moved
 
@busylizzie,
That is what I have to do with my left foot to walk.
I have a 5 degree full length lateral wedge that helps to keep me lined up, it helps but is not perfect. Looks like you also have a high arch.
I can walk with the wedge inside, and I use crutches outside of my house.
Your podatrist can try wedging, sometimes the wedge goes on the outside, sometimes the wedge goes on the inside. You will have to experiment.
Hope you have your gait analysis ASAP.
 
@Pumpkln, the podiatrist and physio have both experimented with a wedge as have I. We can't get it right. It solves one issue but sets off more. The podiatrist when she strapped my foot for plantar fasciitis also used chiropodist felt to provide a wedge. That is when I had excruciating pain in my knee. When I went back to see her she would not try anything else. She wants my surgeon to do a soft tissue scan. She said that there are complex issues going on. She couldn't believe the effect that the strapping had on the rest of my body. My whole leg was swollen and painful even my back and hips. The pad under my toes was also affected. The swelling slowly subsided after the strapping was removed and I was told not to change anything until after the gait analysis and seeing the consultant. Stay on my crutches and rest as much as possible. My physios have said the same.

It was such a great afternoon weatherwise that I have been sat on the ground weeding an overgrown flower bed, shuffling along on my bottom. Something to be said for having a steep garden it makes it easier to get up. Needs must, I'm fed up on not being able to do things. The antibiotics have kicked in and I'm feeling better. Hubby said this afternoon that I should have gone to see doc last week about my cold as I didn't look well then, but I'm stubborn and just fed up with so many medical appointments!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@busylizzie

As they say, "a picture says a thousand words".

Now that I've seen your photo, I can better understand your most unusual situation.
Hopefully, either your OS, podiatrist or PT will be able to come up with a solution for you.

Take care and glad the antibiotics have kicked in & you're feeling better.
Cathie
 
Glad to hear they have tried everything, and you will be having a gait analysis.
I was on crutches in July all the time, with excruciating pain if I tried to walk even a few steps. When I added the lateral wedge I started getting better. Hope they find an answer for you so you can start healing.
Having a mal alignment is hard to deal with, wishing both of success in the long term.
Looks like we are both works in progress.

I hear you when you say you are fed up with not being able to do anything. The mind is willing, the body is not.
Good to hear you are feeling better and your cold is resolving.
This is the first week I do not have a medical appt, I cannot remember the last time I had a whole week free of Doctors.
 
I'm going to tag @Josephine as I want her to keep up to date on your status. I'm glad you are going to get the gait analysis. I know this must be very frustrating for you.....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom