Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a catch 22 situation as I need to work at strengthening my muscles but just walking without crutches is causing problems due to misalignment.
I could have said that!
The alignment is a bear to work around, I am still on crutches too. Going to get my orthotics adjusted today, and to to the OS tomorrow and see what he has to say. I will let you know how it goes.
Sorry you had such a bad experience with this underling who did not have a clue.
Sending you (((((Hugs))))),
 
I was told at the last appointment that this mornings appointment would be with my surgeon's fellow so I was pleasantly surprised to see my surgeon's name was on the board to say he was present. The fellow wasn't there so I wrongly assumed I would see my surgeon. If I had of known about this other doc I would have specifically asked to see my surgeon as I normally do. I was taken aback when I had to see this other doc. He knew nothing at all about my case. When I raised concerns about the misalignment and leg length difference causing problems he wrongly assumed that I was wanting further surgery - no way!

I now have a follow up appointment in 3 months. My surgeon did said if I have any problems to get in touch before then. He also asked how I got along with the antibiotics. I'm glad I saw him in the corridor.

I have a physio appointment tomorrow at this hospital but if it isn't any better than the other 4 I've been to there I am going to kick it into touch and concentrate on the other one I go to locally. Last appointment was 3 weeks ago there. First 3 appointments were with a student physio, only last one was with a qualified one and didn't last above 20 mins. No help whatsoever with foot pain except use ice. No help with the alignment problem either other than I need to see my surgeon.

@Pumpkln, I have also had new bruising behind my knee above and below the new joint, my physio that I saw yesterday said it was due to my stretching to obtain more ROM. She gave it a good massage and it is a lot better today. I went to Yorkshire on Monday to see my mum. On the way home in the car I decided I would do some excerises stretching to improve the ROM. I think I overdid it although it didn't hurt at the time, I did it for about an hour with rests in between. It was very stiff Monday evening.

I now have a consistent ROM of 95 degrees, and hope it will improve more given time.
 
The site actually is working pretty well for most people. The coversion to new servers has been completed. Be sure you log in with the "Stay Logged In" button so you will not time out.

So sorry to hear you're having all this pain. Do you have a way to access water therapy? It is much easier on your body.
 
I had wondered about the stretching, going to back off and see if that helps.
Sending you well wishes.
 
Sorry you didn't see the surgeon (but luckily you did in the hall). The scheduler probably put it down wrong. :( My surgeon seems to have a protocol on which visits are with him and which are with the PA. Maybe they thought you were a "regular" followup.

I hope your ROM continues to improve.
 
I haven't been posting for a while. I needed a break from everything medical, I have been doing the bare minimum. I needed some time for me, I hope that doesn't come across as selfish it wasn't meant that way.
I have been trying to come to terms mentally and physically with all that has been happening to me and trying not to focus too much on my knee and my other ailments. I have felt overwhemed by it all. It is a long hard path. Just when you think things are beginning to get better you turn the corner to find another blip in the recovery route. I will get there in time, I'm sure I will, its just when. I am trying to stay positive and look at all my achievements so far. It is the only way forward.

Sorry if I have missed replying to any threads I haven't been getting many alerts. The site seems to be working better now.

I continue to have problems with the misalignmentof my left leg and leg length difference. It has developed and now gives me pain in my foot on walking so I am concentrating on developing my muscle strength and bend avoiding uneccessary weight bearing as much as possible. My pain levels overall have increased. I asked for a referral to gait analysis this morning as a way forward. Both physios now recognise the problem as being a stumbling block to further progress.

Although the Hickman line has been out 3 weeks the scar hasn't fully healed and I had to have a stitch removed this morning that has been poking out and aggravating the area. I haven't been able to bathe yet but hope to soon now. Excersising using the bouancy of the water should help me.

I'm glad to be back again and hope that I can continue to offer support to others on this hard path to recovery.
 
Of course it's fine to take a break! You need to put yourself first always!!! But it is good to hear from you again and to know that you're still hanging in there with the challenges you've been facing. I'm sorry that you have to go through all this, but admire your strength and good attitude.

I think your request for a gait specialists is an excellent one. Never, ever give up when you have issues that need attention. Sometimes it just takes a while to find the right person to help. You know we are here for you whenever you need us!! ((((HUGS)))
 
Gait analysis sounds like just the thing. Sending you continued healing wishes.
 
I have felt overwhemed by it all. It is a long hard path. Just when you think things are beginning to get better you turn the corner to find another blip in the recovery route.
I understand my recovery has been many u turns back to where I started, finally at 4 months things seem to be turning around. Last week I used my crutches 95% of the time, this week I am using them 75% of the time.

I continue to have problems with the misalignment of my left leg and leg length difference.
I have both of these problems too, it has taken forever for it to improve. I have an 1/8" lift on my TKR shorter side, and a 5 degree lateral full length insole to bring me into alignment. I noticed my foot print at the pool today, and my left foot had more than double the contact area from about 6 weeks ago, what a difference that makes.
This was accomplished with a combination of manual therapy to release tight muscles, strengthening exercises, gait training, and the passage of time to allow my knee to heal further.

Have they measured your mal alignment? The PT should be able to do this, it is easier with a photo, and a goniometer.

I was miserable at your stage of recovery, finally in the last week or so things have gotten better.

We are all glad to see you back posting, I agree sometimes you just need a break for yourself.
Hope you can have the gait analysis soon!
:friends:
 
Good to see you back. I continue to hope that you improve and feel better.
 
Thanks everyone. My right leg is shorter by about 2cm , just over 3\4" . My miss alignment I don't have a measurement but it is very noticable to me and the physio. It is the new foot pain as well as the plantar fasciitis which is getting me down. The pain is on the outside of my left foot. I have a wedge shape under my insole trying to correct the alignment but it is not making the pain any better. My knee pain has increased as well and is now swollen and sore to the touch. This is in the last week. This is getting to be like it was pre this latest implant. I have been out on my scooter today but I'm still in pain.

I hope that the referral is done quickly. I had to see another GP today as mine isn't around at the moment. I have seen this one before but not for a long time. She was efficient about the stitch though and it was sorted straight away. There isn't a long lead time for the analysis so I hope an appointment comes through in the next few weeks.
 
Had another physio session this afternoon and physio is really pleased with my progress. I'm gaining muscle strength and my ROM is consistently well over 90 now and still improving. She is now working on my balance both with my shoes on and off. I've had a few near mishaps this week with me almost loosing my balance when barefooted due to the length and alignment problems. Still waiting to hear about gait analysis. My fibromyalgia has really kicked in this last week for some reason, particularly around my neck and shoulders. She touched a couple of points on both sides this afternoon and I almost leapt in the air they were that sore. She said that I could do with a massage but there wasn't time. I only get 30 mins tops a week.

Still waiting to hear whether I can have hydrotherapy at the hospital I had the surgery at as the pool isn't going to close until the end of September now.

I still don't sleep very well and seem to catnap a lot during the night but it is improving. I'm lacking energy and stamina still but I am only 12 weeks out yesterday from the op.

I had another milestone this weekend, I sat on the floor and played Lego with my grandson on Sunday :dancy:. I got up and down about 4 or 5 times over the afternoon. Not very ladylike to watch but I did it :yes!:. I am beginning to feel human again. It only takes small gains to lift your spirit and he certainly enjoyed having grandma joining in again.
 
Heck, I'm lacking stamina @busylizzie and I didn't have your problems. Sounds like you're making improvements.
 
Happy to hear you are making gains, getting on and off the floor is such a pleasure.
Wishing you continued healing.
 
I checked up with the GPs surgery Friday evening to see if the referral for gait analysis had gone. It was done on the 20th straight away which is unusual. I'm going to chase that up tomorrow as I really do need orthotics to progress with my physio, the pain is getting worse the more I walk even with my crutches.

I'm full of cold today after having had a sore throat over the weekend. I'm thinking of cancelling Tuesday's physio as I don't want to pass it on. My nose is constantly dripping!
 
Good idea! Stay home and do a few gentle exercises by yourself.

Looking after yourself and your knee - and being considerate to to others as well! :yes!:
 
Sometimes staying home is the best thing to do.
I had some muscle imbalances in my lower leg, when my PT released them, it really helped.
Stay at home and recover from your cold, thanks for keeping it to yourself, your PT appreciates it.
 
@busylizzie so happy to see you back. I don't think you are selfish at all for needing a break from all things medical. You have made some very good strides in the past week. I know it is a long road and especially for all of you who have had revisions. I can't even wrap my brain around all you have been through. thinking of you.
~~hopefaith
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom