Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does it always happen to me, I feel as though I have been hit with a sledgehammer, the goal posts have been moved again. What I was told was about a week's waiting for gait analysis has now turned into 2 months. I have to put up with this awful foot pain which is stopping my recovery.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry. Why such a delay? Beyond frustrating isn't it?

~~hopefaith
 
Two months is a long time to wait when your feet hurt. Can you call for cancellations?
I was advised to use yoga toes to help relax my feet. They are expensive and looked too big for me. Instead I use thin sock and weave it in and out of my toes, while I am icing. It helps to relax my feet.
Let us know how we can help,
 
@hopefaith, @Pumpkln, I don't know why there is a delay. It was the man in charge I spoke to about a month ago and he told me there really wasn't a waiting list and it would be about a week to get an appointment. When I rang this morning they were saying mid November , I've got it pushed forward to the end of October beginning of November. My foot feels like I have a sprained ankle and hurts along the outside of my foot to almost my little toe. My big toe doesn't touch the floor unless I twist my whole foot over but that hurts my knee, I guess because it is a fixed hinge and hasn't got any rotation. Coupled with my other leg that is 2 cm shorter and the plantar fasciitis it is causing me problems. If I wear my trainers with makeshift orthotics and use my crutches I am just about getting by but it is still painful.
 
Can you be a little rude? Or maybe insist on speaking to the man in charge? Or have your OS call? You must be so frustrated with this! Do what you have to do to decrease your pain. I hope you get the answers you need soon so you can have the appropriate treatment
 
I was wondering if a massage would help with the foot pain, even if it only lasted a little while?
Hope your appointment is moved up to an earlier date.
 
Hi busylizzie
Wondering how your surgery went. I had my right knee revised 4 weeks ago to a custom SMILES Stanmore implant so I hope you are well on your way to recovery :)
 
@firefly it is 3 months now since my last revision and my knee is doing fine. I have 95/0 ROM. The knee felt good from day 1. Unfortunately I came round from the spinal with bad foot pain which hasn't relented at all and is causing me problems. My foot appears twisted and I have an alignment problem. When I bend my knee the axis of bend is inside my foot. It is hard to explain. All my weight is concentrated on the outside edge of my left foot and my big toe doesn't touch the floor. I haven't been able to show this to my surgeon yet as I had to see a junior member of staff at the last appointment but this won't happen at the next appointment, I'll make sure I see him.

My implant is a beefed up version of the smiles knee made out of titanium. It had to be beefed up to give it strength compared with the standard cobalt chrome one. I was told it was a rarity that they used custom smiles knees at Wrightington but often used custom hips from them. It's good to find someone else with the same knee. You should start your own thread and we could compare recovery. Who was your surgeon, mine was Prof Kay?
 
I managed to recover enough to go to my physio at Wrightington yesterday but missed Tuesday's appointment with my local one. He only sees me every 3 to 4 weeks whereas I see the local one every week.

He is also concerned about my foot alignment and the delay in getting gait analysis. That is all we discussed yesterday as he is very happy about my knee and its bend/strength. He touched my foot in various places and it is very sensitive and painful. I need orthotics as soon as possible. He is concerned that I may develop super sensitivity to touch if it isn't sorted soon and I have to continue to massage it. The plantar fasciitis pain hasn't improved. I have to continue with the crutches as I need them for my foot not my knee. Try and exercise without putting undue strain on my foot until it's sorted.

I have been using my trainers most of the time to support my foot and lessen the pain. Painkillers do nothing for it. I have to take them off regularly now and move my foot around despite it hurting more. I also have to experiment with the makeshift orthotic I'm using to see if I can improve on it. He wants me to try and keep knee and hip alignment and support the foot in this position rather than try and correct my foot at the expense of the knee/hip alignment. My whole body is being affected by this and my back is hurting more. I guess I'm twisting to compensate.
 
Hope you find relief soon. Just remember that you have to get used to orthotics. Wear for a couple of hours a day at first, gradually increasing the time you wear them. Some professionals will insist that you wear all the time, except for bathing. That tends to lead to lots of pain and non compliance with the orthotic. Talk to your docs and orthotic professionals.
 
I have taken the bull by his horns and have chased up the gait analysis again this morning. They are going to give me the first appointment available but it is still likely to be the end of October. SO, I asked about private assessment appointments and they have given me a name of a specialist podiatrist who used to work with them who has set up in practice not far from where I live. I've followed the link up and have an appointment Monday afternoon to discuss an interim plan of action to keep me going until then. I think I stand a better chance of being heard if I can get my problem validated by a specialist in the field. I keep being told that I'm not very far down the recovery route yet and to give it time, but this foot is getting worse and it is affecting my whole body. I don't think it will correct itself.
 
Good for you! Hope all goes well at your appointment.
 
Hi @busylizzie I just read through your recent posts. I am sorry you are having so much trouble with your foot. Caused by the spinal?
I really am glad you pushed to be seen by someone sooner. I am thinking of you.
~~hopefaith
 
I saw a specialist podiatrist yesterday afternoon and she totally agreed with my diagnosis of the foot problem. She was surprised at the extent of the problem. She is going to try and keep me going until I get the gait analysis at the end of next month. My big toe on my left leg does not touch the floor when I walk and all the weight is being taken on the outside edge of my foot.

Her first plan of action is to get the plantar fasciitis under control. She has strapped my foot up with tape and chiropodist felt. I have to keep it on 48hrs then report back to see if there is any improvement. I had to try rolling a bottle of ice under my foot, which I tried this morning. The felt insulated my foot and I couldn't feel the cold , also it increased the pain so I stopped. She is thinking of making me a removable cast next time I go to see her.

She said the misalignment and leg length difference is a complex problem to solve and that I need an orthotic for both feet.

I came home with some hope that I may be getting somewhere at last.

I saw the local physio this morning and I am maintaining ROM and muscle strength despite all that is happening. I have to take it easy until the gait analysis and continue rest, ice and elevate until then and not push myself walking without crutches. My foot and lower leg keep swelling up. My back and hips are hurting, I guess because of my gait. My knee is fine and not swollen. She said after going through so much already I must be patient a little longer and accept this blip. I want to get on and live my life now but I know she is right and must wait. I'm hoping at the 3 year mark I can put most of this behind me. I feel frustrated. Most of the excerises I have to do now are non weight bearing. I also have to limit my walking even with crutches which I will find hard, I have had a taste of freedom now! It is good that both physios are in total agreement with each other, it gives me more confidence.

I'm still struggling with my cold, I thought I'd be over it by now. I know that my white blood cell count went right down to the lowest limit whilst I was on the strong antibiotics so I am wondering if my immune system hasn't fully recovered yet. The physio said that she'd heard that it may take a while for my system to bounce back to what it was. It's ironic that I have had a reminder recently for a flu jab.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@busylizzie Whenever I read these complex issues I always remind myself of how our skeletal system is connected together and the other systems that support it --complex and marvelous! All we can do is to give everything time and be as patient as possible --so very very hard at times….. Hang in there :ok::friends:
 
Busylizzie,
Glad you found someone who seems to understand what is happening with your feet, I hope the strapping helps.
Mal alignment is hard to deal with my leg is off 5 degrees, ouch. I have a 5 degree full length lateral wedge in my TKR shoe, it helps a lot.

Poppet has an article in the library about probiotics and how they enhance our immune system, here is a link
  • Probiotics
    I have kefir and sauerkraut every day, both are fermented foods containing healthy bacteria for your gut. A healthy gut is important for our immune system, all the antibiotics you had probably knocked out a lot of bacteria.

    Chihuahuan is right about all of our bones be connected, and so complex how everything relates to everything else.

    It is rough being patient, :friends:
 
I spoke too soon about my knee, it is very swollen since last night and the pain has been awful today. My plantar fasciitis hasn't been too bad but the pain has transfered to the soft pad under the top of my foot. I've just taken the strapping off as per instruction and I'll see if it all calms down. My knee has been the worst it has been since surgery. It must be an alignment problem. I will be in touch with the podiatrist tomorrow but at the moment the fasciitis pain is preferable to this knee pain. My whole leg is so swollen.
 
It is a few hours now since I took the strapping off and my knee pain is subsiding to a tolerable level but the plantar fasciitis is back with a vengeance. It seems as though the strapping was the culprit. I really need this gait analysis NOW. I will see if the podiatrist can do anything in the morning to speed it up. Wish me luck, I think I will need it. I am going to bed now and try and get some sleep if possible. I feel shattered.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom